View Full Version : The One Thing

Karried
08-23-2006, 09:28 PM
What's one thing that you wish people that have never been to OK, knew about our state ?

Or one thing that when people think of Oklahoma, they think of.. something positive... in other words.. instead of hearing OK and thinking Tornados (insert whatever) .. what would you want people to think of?

I'd like 'Oklahoma - Renaissance' but I'm dreaming of...
'Oklahoma - Sonics'

Can we add a theme song for the Centennial to ' Our Future's so Bright, We gotta Wear shades' .. something along those lines. :spin:

Midtowner
08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
550 school districts.

beatlebutt81
08-23-2006, 10:03 PM
i'm not sure what i want them to think of, i just would rather people realize that we're not all just "hicks." :poke:

traxx
08-24-2006, 03:00 PM
I thought that this might fit in this topic. I got it off of another board, it's an email that David Boren sent out about OU. Good to see that the state is getting some respect on a national level.

Dear friends,

I wanted to share with you the good news that the Sunday edition of the The New York Times for July 30, 2006 included the University of Oklahoma as one of the 20 colleges and universities in the nation which are on the rise.

The Times said: "Oklahoma's rising academic profile is reflected in statistics: No. 1 per capita among public universities in the number of National Merit Scholars enrolled (currently 700) and in the top five in the graduation of Rhodes Scholars. This is a sprawling university, with commensurate academic resources and heterogeneity: about a quarter of undergraduates are minorities (8 percent American Indian) and on Pell grants. Deep in the heartland, Oklahoma has its own natural history museum, a renowned collection of Impressionist paintings, and 20 colleges offering 153 undergraduate majors. We hear the football team is not so bad, either." (Copyright © 2006 by The New York Times Co. Reprinted with permission)

I am also happy to report that the new Mary and Howard Lester Wing of the Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art is featured in a highly complimentary article in the September issue of Architectural Digest. The article begins on page 162. It highlights the beauty of the building as well as the strengths of the art collection, especially the Weitzenhoffer Collection of French Impressionist Art.

Earlier this year, The Princeton Review included OU on its list of the top 10 public universities in the nation based upon academic excellence and student cost.

Because of friends and supporters like you, the University of Oklahoma continues to increase its national stature. Thank you for your stewardship of this institution.

Sincerely,

David Boren
President

Kerry
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I wish more people new that Oklahoma was not flat and still in the dust bowl. As I mentioned before, I use my desktop wallpaper and screen savers that show pictures of Oklahoma. Everyday someone ask what city is on my computer. I am just doing part to undo what John Stienbeck did 1939.