View Full Version : Microsoft Ends Support For Windows 98

okcpulse
08-23-2006, 07:07 PM
As of this month, Microsoft will no longer provide support for Windows 98, as the company will now shift its focus onto more recent product support. Windows ME support ends early next year.

Windows 98, Microsoft's legacy operating system, became the mostly widely used OS during the 9x era for home users and gamers, mostly because of better features and support for the DirectX API for 3D games. Windows 98 was also the last stable operating system in the 9x family, as Windows ME, the last 9x OS, proved to be a major disaster. It was then that users upgrading shifted their attention to Windows 2000, then the new NT operating system for home users and business professionals. Many Windows users still prefer Windows 2000 over XP.

So, let's bid so long to updates for Windows 98, and we will see the OS fade into history over the next few years.

ibda12u
08-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Not only died Microsoft stop supporting Win98, but I did too lol. I got a virus infected win98 pc a week ago, note it was win98 not win98se. I couldn't get anything to fix it. I believe it had 0 security updates to it. And every trip to windows update gave me the notice that win98 was not longer supported. All I could get were old updates. After about 3 days of removing stuff just to have it return, I relinquished the pc back to the user, and told them it's seriously time to upgrade their pc.

okcpulse
08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I only support Windows 2000, Windows XP (SP1 and SP2), Suse Linux 10.0, Suse Linux 10.1 and Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop 10.

I used to support Windows ME, but it was only a matter of a week before the ME user called me with new problems. Eventually, I suggested it would be cheaper if they just upgraded to XP. Much easier to remove malware.

ibda12u
08-25-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't ever want to get Started on Windows ME. talk about one of those things I think Microsoft wished they could forget. I still sometimes wondering if it was supposed to be a quick money maker for Y2k.

okcpulse
08-25-2006, 10:21 PM
That would be my assumption. Did Microsoft SERIOUSLY think they were going to cram a bunch of multimedia features onto a kernel that could only address so much memory?