View Full Version : Enjoy the Board?

Karried
08-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Hey all, lately we've all had some serious, deep, thought provoking discussions, arguments and occasional knock down drag out fights..

Even though some of these discussions have been important and sometimes entertaining, some members are expressing a desire that our forum be a little less combative and a little more 'fun'.

I know that it may not be as interesting as other discussions but it allows us to get to know members better and have a few laughs. And, it makes this board a welcome diversion to all the sadness that takes place in our world..

I guess my request is that we try to incorporate a bit more lighthearted fun and laughter into this forum ...Can we all just try to think of some pleasant and enjoyable topics sometimes? Any takers? :respect:

PUGalicious
08-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Does this help?

Yesterday I was having some work done at the car dealer. A blonde woman came in and asked for a seven-hundred-ten. They all looked at each other, and the mechanic asked, “What is a seven-hundred-ten?”

She replied, “You know, the little piece in the middle of the engine. I lost it and need a new one. It had always been there.”

The mechanic gave the woman a piece of paper and a pen and asked her to draw what the piece looked like. She drew a circle and in the middle of it wrote 710. He then took her over to another car which had the hood up and asked, “Is there a 710 on this car?” She pointed and said, “Of course, it’s right there.”

Scroll down to learn the identity of the mysterious “710″.

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

http://111bradstreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/710.thumbnail.jpg

bandnerd
08-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I would love to, Karried. I have posted a few "lighthearted" topics but they are never responded to. I've decided my sense of humor must be way off course with this board ;)

writerranger
08-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Karried,

Good points! My thinking is that there truly is a good mix on this board. Some of the issues ARE serious. We're talking about local politics and we're talking the future of our city. On the other hand, I think the OKC nostalgia is my favorite topic and I always find that fun. I think there is a good mix - I really do.

--------------

Karried
08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
Ha,ha ... 710 - that would be something I would do ..

We're off to a good start... I agree, there's room for all types of discussions... but let's enjoy ourselves a little too! Bandnerd, post again.. maybe people won't comment but they still might get a chuckle.. I know I do!

Certain things just tickle me.. This was a LOL for me...

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/commercials/German_Coast_Guard_2/

Lauri101
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Karried,
I think its a great idea!
Sometime, after a really intense day, it'd be nice to just chuckle.:Smiley145

Midtowner
08-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Anyone want to guess what my response is here?

I wish I had an upside down font to keep you guessing, but alas...

The great thing about an internet message board is that you don't have to participate in conversations which you don't participate in. Invariably, people will disagree. Invariably, people will strongly and vocally disagree. This does not mean it's really time to get all atwitter.

If you want to get right down to it, and look at board participation, we could do that.

What are the most popular forums? Religion, politics, nosebleed. ALL of those involve intense debate. Take those away, and this isn't the same place.

Karried
08-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I guess my request is that we try to incorporate a bit more lighthearted fun and laughter into this forum ...Can we all just try to think of some pleasant and enjoyable topics sometimes? Any takers?

I didn't say take away - I said incorporate or add to .... a sense of humor is nice sometimes..

bandnerd
08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Midtowner has no sense of humor. Why do you think he married me? He needs someone to lighten him up once in awhile ;)

Midtowner
08-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Karried -- then do it.

I'm puzzled as to how this even merits discussion. If people want to start light-hearted threads, then why not?

I'm going to start two threads in spirit of cooperation with the new regime. You'll see. They'll be plenty light-hearted, and they will fully comply with the TOS.

Karried
08-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Good, I can't wait... go see my funny video and post yours...

I have to warn you, I live with 4 men, you can only imagine what type of humor gets me giggling and occasionally shooting milk through my nostrils, but that's another story ...

PUGalicious
08-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Anyone want to guess what my response is here?

I wish I had an upside down font to keep you guessing, but alas...

The great thing about an internet message board is that you don't have to participate in conversations which you don't participate in. Invariably, people will disagree. Invariably, people will strongly and vocally disagree. This does not mean it's really time to get all atwitter.

If you want to get right down to it, and look at board participation, we could do that.

What are the most popular forums? Religion, politics, nosebleed. ALL of those involve intense debate. Take those away, and this isn't the same place.
I agree 100%, Midtowner. People would rather complain about the forum being too negative rather than proactively doing something positive to make it more -- well -- positive (as they see it).

Karried
08-24-2006, 07:07 AM
I guess my request is that we try to incorporate a bit more lighthearted fun and laughter into this forum ...Can we all just try to think of some pleasant and enjoyable topics sometimes? Any takers?

sheesh Scribe, you've really brought home my point .. no one is complaining.. it was a simple request.

If you don't want to participate, then don't.

What has happened to everyone's sense of humor lately?

PUGalicious
08-24-2006, 07:16 AM
sheesh Scribe, you've really brought home my point .. no one is complaining.. it was a simple request.
Then why did you say this in the original post:

Even though some of these discussions have been important and sometimes entertaining, some members are expressing a desire that our forum be a little less combative and a little more 'fun'.
"Expressing a desire" is in essence complaining that the forum isn't fun enough.

If you don't want to participate, then don't. You missed my point. The point I was trying to make is that this is a recurring problem where people gripe (even if you don't want to call it that) about how "negative" the board is, yet they do little to contribute to making it "positive." They want other people to make it positive. You get out of a forum what you put into it.

And, it's not that I don't want to participate. I have already participated, as you've already noticed.

What has happened to everyone's sense of humor lately? Mine's just fine. It seems Midtowner and others' humor are just fine, IMHO. Perhaps the converse should be asked, "why is everyone so thin-skinned?"

Curt
08-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Well I dont get around much this time of year...it's been a rough summer but I dont like arguing and fighting...I have been guilty of this and dont want to do it again...Another board I was on, Margaritaville.com, people did nothing but argue so people started leaving, I dont go there anymore....I will continue to come here though when I have time

kellekokid
08-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Ha,ha ... 710 - that would be something I would do ..

We're off to a good start... I agree, there's room for all types of discussions... but let's enjoy ourselves a little too! Bandnerd, post again.. maybe people won't comment but they still might get a chuckle.. I know I do!

Certain things just tickle me.. This was a LOL for me...

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/commercials/German_Coast_Guard_2/

Karried this video and the others at that website were pretty funny! Thanks for posting it.

Keith
08-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Good idea, Karried. I can tell you that we have a few members on this forum who have little to no sense of humor, and can always find something wrong with a post. Then, we have a few that just like to debate and not have any fun at all. Not every thread is a debate.

It seems that many of us could lighten up and enjoy this forum a little more, and be more respectful of others.

Just a simple request from Karried, and there are still a few who don't want to have fun with this forum. In the words of Karried....Sheesh.

Midtowner
08-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Good idea, Karried. I can tell you that we have a few members on this forum who have little to no sense of humor, and can always find something wrong with a post. Then, we have a few that just like to debate and not have any fun at all. Not every thread is a debate.

It seems that many of us could lighten up and enjoy this forum a little more, and be more respectful of others.

Just a simple request from Karried, and there are still a few who don't want to have fun with this forum. In the words of Karried....Sheesh.

Keith, debates are fun. Debate is the foundation of a healthy democracy. Perhaps that's what's wrong with our society? We throw ourselves into right wing/left wing camps, and accept what our "leaders" say without questioning the who/what/when/where/why of what they're saying. Many in the evangelical community follow the teachings of the Right Reverend Pat Robertson without question. Many in the so-called black community will follow the lead of men like Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton anywhere. The only reason these men can get away with this leadership/income-enhancing business of theirs is because their followers do not question their motives or their leaders' direction.

I could go into more specific examples if you wish.

If you don't think they are fun, feel free to not participate. Of course, if you advocate a position which I disagree with, since this is a message board, I , and others reserve the right to disagree, albeit "politely." Disagreeing, however, is not being impolite.

bandnerd
08-24-2006, 08:34 PM
Okay, I'm going to make a motion that we define the word "fun."

According to webster.com:
Fun:
1 : what provides amusement or enjoyment; specifically : playful often boisterous action or speech <full of fun>
2 : a mood for finding or making amusement <all in fun>
3 a : AMUSEMENT, ENJOYMENT <sickness takes all the fun out of life> b : derisive jest : SPORT, RIDICULE <a figure of fun>
4 : violent or excited activity or argument <let a snake loose in the classroom; then the fun began>

I enjoy the board, most of the time. There have been some things said to/about me that were not cool, but whateva. But just because a person, like myself, enjoys debate doesn't mean they don't have a sense of humor. I do have one of those. It obviously is just different than others. Sure, I enjoy the occasional silly video or cute picture, but that's not why I come here. I can find that stuff on my own.

I come here to find important information about the city, and to hash out some obviously touchy subjects for the members of this community. That's enjoyable..."fun"...to me.

Keith
08-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Keith, debates are fun. Debate is the foundation of a healthy democracy. Perhaps that's what's wrong with our society? We throw ourselves into right wing/left wing camps, and accept what our "leaders" say without questioning the who/what/when/where/why of what they're saying.

I could go into examples if you wish.

If you don't think they are fun, feel free to not participate. Of course, if you advocate a position which I disagree with, since this is a message board, I , and others reserve the right to disagree.
Debates can be fun as long as you don't belittle the person you are debating with....which I see on a continuous basis.

I don't participate in debates because, in my opinion, they are not fun, plus, I don't have the time to research anything. Lately, I'm lucky sometimes to be online for 30 minutes. Having to google something, and then post it to a thread is not worth my time....or energy. Another thing.....one person is always trying to be the smarter one, and to me, an ego trip is not worth a debate.

Not all debates are bad, because I've seen some good clean ones on this forum. However, unfortunately, I have seen more bad ones than good ones.

Midtowner
08-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Debates can be fun as long as you don't belittle the person you are debating with....which I see on a continuous basis.

Keith, if I try a little harder than the other person in a debate, that doesn't belittle them. I don't do that outside of the nosebleed section. I also don't do it unless it's reasonable to do so.

As for your "continuous basis" remark, were such a remark coming from me, would you tab it as being "belittling," and/or "impolite"?

I don't participate in debates because, in my opinion, they are not fun, plus, I don't have the time to research anything.

So you recognize that a basis in fact is a good thing when debating facts. I agree.

Lately, I'm lucky sometimes to be online for 30 minutes. Having to google something, and then post it to a thread is not worth my time....or energy. Another thing.....one person is always trying to be the smarter one, and to me, an ego trip is not worth a debate.

It's not about being smarter. I can be infinitely smarter than the person I'm debating, but I can still be wrong. At any rate, debates aren't always about truth. Take the debate/discussion over death penalty policy down in the NB section right now. There's no right answer, just a few people (who I would say are very smart people) bouncing ideas off of each other.

Yes, thinking critically does take a little work. I think it's worth it though, and it's a great way to learn new things.

Not all debates are bad, because I've seen some good clean ones on this forum. However, unfortunately, I have seen more bad ones than good ones.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.