View Full Version : Lyrics OK - Song?

Karried
08-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Stars creating song to honor Oklahoma

By Rick Rogers
Fine Arts Editor

Oklahoma's statehood joyously is celebrated in song by "Oklahoma!"
But soon, Oklahomans will have another song to sing.
This one -- "Oklahoma Rising" -- is written by two of Oklahoma's favorite sons: Jimmy Webb and Vince Gill.

It will be unveiled in a pri- vate event Sept. 11 at the Civic Center Mu- sic Hall, said Centennial Projects and Events Chairman Lee Allan Smith.
"We both love our state, and our hope with this anthem was to epitomize and crystallize the character of Oklahomans for the world to see," Webb said from his New York home. "I really tried to connect with what it means to be an Oklahoman."

Webb and Gill have known each other for years, but this marks their first professional collaboration. Webb, a native of Elk City who grew up in Laverne, earned recognition for his hit songs "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" (recorded by Glen Campbell), "Up, Up and Away" (The Fifth Dimension) and "MacArthur Park" (Richard Harris).

Gill, a Norman native who grew up in Oklahoma City, has an impressive resume that includes "When I Call Your Name," "Don't Let Our Love Start Slippin' Away" and "I Still Believe in You." Gill has earned multiple Grammy and Academy of Country Music Awards.

The pair's anthem collaboration is meant to complement "Oklahoma!" That song became the state's official song in 1953 and remains the only state song taken from a Broadway musical.

Featuring lyrics by Webb and music by Gill, "Oklahoma Rising" remembers Oklahoma's early days and explores the promise of the 21st century. It also touches on difficult periods, from the Dust Bowl to the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.

"In the days and weeks following the bombing, Oklahomans came through as generous, brave, noble people," Webb said. "The whole country had to bow in deference to that. In our heartland we showed that we have a great state and a great reservoir of courage. It made me proud to be an Oklahoman."

After some preliminary discussions, Webb began writing the lyrics.
After completing the first verse, Webb worried about Gill's receptiveness to the draft. Webb flew to Nashville, Tenn., so he and Gill could discuss the project.

"We were both afraid of sliding off into the ditch," Webb said. "And Vince worried that people might think we were trying to write another state song. I told him we were writing a song about a state. That's a very big difference. Nobody takes on Rodgers and Hammerstein. This had to come out sounding like Vince Gill and Jimmy Webb. It was a ball we clearly didn't want to drop.

"We met again later after Vince had been working on the music. He played this energetic rhythmic figure and even before he opened his mouth to sing, I was breathing this huge sigh of relief. This was going to have energy; it was full of vim and vigor. I'm not cocky, but I do have a good feeling about this."

Joining Webb and Gill at the premiere will be the Oklahoma City Philharmonic, Canterbury Choral Society and the Ambassadors' Concert Choir. Also appearing will be Sandi Patty.
Answer the question: What lyrics would you like to see in a song about our state?

Karried
09-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Anyone have a chance to catch the lyrics or find a place to hear the new song " Oklahoma Rising" ?

Martin
09-12-2006, 04:35 PM
i couldn't find anything. no lyrics. no recordings. maybe it's still under wraps until an official unveiling? -M

Karried
09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I believe the official unveiling was last night but I can't find anything either regarding lyrics. I'd love to download a sample recording just to hear what they came up with..

I know they reference some history of OK and the bombing and Oklahoma's future - I can't wait to hear it.

Martin
09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
i think that was a private event, though... not meant for public consumption. i found a report on koco's website complete with a video from last night's event and it didn't even include any of the song... i'd love to see the lyrics for myself. -M

mranderson
09-30-2006, 09:47 AM
I bought the "Oklahoma Rising" CD yesterday. The song starts off with a flutist playing Indian music, then a "war chant." I could do without that part. After that, it is a really good song. Although it will not be a new state song any time soon, it could easily get my vote.

Karried
09-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Chorus
We're Oklahoma Risin', brighter than a star
Stand up and sing about her, let the world know
who we are

Verse 1
From a rugged territory to the Oklahoma Run
We've made our dreams come true,
just look at what we've done
We're the Heartland of America,
our heart is in the race
We've sailed our prairie schooners
right into outer space
We are young and we are strong,
we are comin' with a roar
Sooner than later we'll be knockin' on your door
Say hello to the future,
gonna shake the future's hand
and build a better world
upon this sacred land

Chorus 2
We're Oklahoma Risin', brighter than a star Stand up and sing about her let the world know who we are We're the sons and the daughters, children of the West We're Oklahoma Risin', risin' up to be the best

Verse 2
Guts and grace and mercy, we have shown them in our turn When the fields had turned to dust and the skies began to burn When the storm shook our souls and the mighty buildings fell Through fires and desperation our faith has served us well I choke back the emotion, I'm an Okie and I'm proud So when you call me Okie, man, you better say it loud Now we look into the heavens at the eagles climbing free It's the spirit of our people on the wing, can you see?

Repeat Chorus 2 Twice

Karried
09-30-2006, 04:51 PM
http://static.newsok.biz/sites/newsok/audio/OklaRising.mp3

Here's a place to hear.. I was thinking it would be a little more touching after reading the lyrics. It's a kind of fast pace ..

In_Tulsa
09-30-2006, 08:30 PM
That song SUCKS it is bad.:Smiley275

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
02-24-2007, 07:55 PM
This song is just awful, it sounds worse than a stack of spoons in a garbage disposer.

Deni
02-25-2007, 09:20 AM
I liked the song..