View Full Version : Water Taxi challenges COTPA's RFP

BricktownGuy
08-22-2006, 02:52 AM
http://www.okcbusiness.com/print_article.asp?aID=43336

Doug Loudenback
08-22-2006, 06:33 AM
http://www.okcbusiness.com/print_article.asp?aID=43336
Yes, isn't it?! I hope that the project doesn't get screwed because someone has their facts wrong (not that I know what they are as to the RFPs and/or qualifying for matching funds). Hopefully, someone involved will have their research nailed down, first hand.

jbrown84
08-22-2006, 09:58 AM
I have no idea who's side to take on this.

SoonerDave
08-22-2006, 10:49 AM
The problem stems from going after federal money in the first place, which necessarily ties voluminous federal regulatory crap to every step of the project. While I reserve the right to change my mind, I tend to believe that WaterTaxi is getting the shaft on this. Keep the feds out.

-SoonerDave

The Old Downtown Guy
08-22-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm a little skeptical about the $100K in r&d that WaterTaxi is claiming. Perhaps they thought they had a deal made with OKCURA when they really didn't. It looks like a total mess at this point, but I guess we will need to wait and see what kind of proposals come in.

Midtowner
08-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Large sums of money being spent by COTPA for apparently nothing isn't really a novel concept unfortunately.

Check into some of their garage management/maintenance contracts sometime. The Santa Fe garage, for example, because of such things has yet to operate with any profit to this date.

writerranger
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
The problem stems from going after federal money in the first place, which necessarily ties voluminous federal regulatory crap to every step of the project. While I reserve the right to change my mind, I tend to believe that WaterTaxi is getting the shaft on this. Keep the feds out.

-SoonerDave

I agree, SoonerDave. We should also remember when we talk about "federal money," that we're talking about taxpayer money - taken from paychecks. If I was sitting in Portland, Maine (for instance) I would be a tad angry that I was helping subsidize water taxis on a downtown canal in Oklahoma City! PORK.

----------

keving
08-23-2006, 09:31 AM
I think they should call it what it is. It is not a water taxi. Now, I know that the name of the business is WaterTaxi but it is going to be anything but that in OKC. A taxi does not take 1 hour to get from Meridian to Downtown. They should call it a river tour.

I think they are only calling calling it a taxi to get federal funding.

writerranger
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I think they should call it what it is. It is not a water taxi. Now, I know that the name of the business is WaterTaxi but it is going to be anything but that in OKC. A taxi does not take 1 hour to get from Meridian to Downtown. They should call it a river tour.

I think they are only calling calling it a taxi to get federal funding.

Bingo, keving. I never realized what was going on with this scam.

Do I have this right? Have they been getting federal money for the canal rides, or is this just for the river portion? Either way, it's obvious that they are calling this thing a "taxi" so that they can technically claim that they are providing "transportation" in Oklahoma City. (You know, we all take public transportation from Zio's to Bass Pro! And, a boat from Meridian to downtown is public transportation as defined by the federal government?) As much as I think the canal boats are nice, we should do what's right and call this for what it is: a scam to bilk the feds for $$$. Pork.

---------

jbrown84
08-23-2006, 11:42 AM
No, it's not the canal. Just the river.

writerranger
08-23-2006, 12:15 PM
So, it's just the sightseeing river ride that is getting federal "transportation" funding. Nice.

------------------

BricktownGuy
08-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Water Taxi pulls out of bid process

http://www.okcbusiness.com/print_article.asp?aID=43525

ETL
08-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Are the water taxi/dinner rides still a go-ahead?

SoonerDave
08-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Good gosh, more of this political buddy-buddy who's-scratching-whose-back nonsense. Why aren't any of our "investigative journalists" at any one of our local TV outlets investigating this?

There was a time when bid-rigging was illegal...but not if you're "in" with the "right" people in the City and/or COTPA in particular.

What a joke.

-SoonerDave

Midtowner
08-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Sooner -- it's still illegal to rig these things. Conspiring to do so, for example, would probably break the open records act.

jbrown84
08-29-2006, 11:18 PM
They are out of the running, so I guess there's no rigging here.

metro
08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
COTPA is a joke

Midtowner
08-30-2006, 07:37 PM
They are out of the running, so I guess there's no rigging here.

They said they were out of the running because it essentially appeared that the selection had been made before the process began.

Hence, rigging.