View Full Version : Will OKC ever get an aquarium? I want one SO bad!!!!

ETL
08-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Will OKC ever get an aquarium? I want one SO bad!!!!

Midtowner
08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
The zoo has one.

soonerliberal
08-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Do we really need one? Jenks is a quick trip up the turnpike.

Luke
08-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Great idea. They should put one in the Arts Quarter.

Kerry
08-21-2006, 08:06 PM
Aquariums seem to be popular in a lot of places. Maybe something new should be tried. But what?

John
08-21-2006, 11:24 PM
I think it would be a good idea. Yeah, Jenks has one, but its in Jenks.

I think a good location would be somewhere in the infill area of I-40. Maybe where the cotton mill is or closer to the river.

SoonerDave
08-22-2006, 06:50 AM
The Zoo's aquarium isn't too bad, but it appears to be in serious need of some repair/upgrade $$. When my family visited the zoo this past summer, I was very surprised to see it in what I would characterize as a deteriorating condition.

-SoonerDave

Midtowner
08-22-2006, 07:59 AM
The problem is that the city built the aquarium next to the race track. Apparently, horses carry a bacteria which is benign where humans and horses and most other creatures are concerned. However, this bacteria, for some reason is deadly to dolphins. That was pretty much the deth knell for the aquarium.

I also think they've either cut back or eliminated their other shows although they do have sea lions.

You're right, the existing aquarium isn't bad, just in terrible need of some upgrade money.

Martin
08-22-2006, 08:35 AM
actually, the city built the racetrack next to the aquarium. aquaticus was finished in '86 and remington park was finished in '88. but, yeah, the bacteria problem was pretty much the end. sad, since the city worked so hard to get the exhibit and that it justified projects like remington park so that it could help fund projects like aquaticus. -M

SoonerDave
08-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Wow...I had never heard of the horse bacteria problem being the source of the dolphin deaths. Either it was never publicized or my head was in the ground (and they are not mutually exclusive :)

How sad. I, for one, would much rather have had the dolphins than the racetrack, but I suspect I'm in the minority on that one...

-SoonerDave

traxx
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
You're not the only one SoonerDave. I'd rather have the aquarium as well. The racetrack is not the big deal it once was and has become just a huge waste of space.

okrednk
08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I would like to see one on the canal somewhere, a new attraction which might be big enough to hold some dolphins and put on a show or such. That would bring some more visitors downtown as well as well while we are over here lets go get a bite to eat or see whats new in Bricktown.

ETL
08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Sound good. You could put one on the river, maybe?

jbrown84
08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
I doubt the Zoo would be very happy if the city funded an another aquarium in the city.

Luke
08-23-2006, 09:24 AM
I dunno that the zoo would really care if an aquarium went elsewhere. It's not like people go to the zoo specifically for the aquarium as it is. It seems kind of average to below average for an aquarium anyways. The zoo itself is awesome. Lots of great exhibits. But I can't see that they would really care.

I was thinking... An aquarium on the Myriad Gardens pond may be interesting. Perhaps an equally unique building near to the Myriad "tube" would work as the new aquarium. Build it into the side of the hill. Put some of it underwater in the the Myriad Garden pond... a clear hallway of sorts underwater. The rest can be built into and on the hill. The Myriad Gardens and Aquarium.

traxx
08-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Back to the issue of the horses carrying a bacteria that was fatal to dolphins; Since Remington has been there since the late 80s why did that only become a problem in recent years? It seems like we would have had the problem from the get-go.

jbrown84
08-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I think it just took them a while to figure out there was a problem and then longer to figure out what caused it. It's really too bad. I remember going to the dolphin shows on field trips as a kid. They were every bit as good as SeaWorld or Busch Gardens.

Kerry
08-25-2006, 09:50 PM
What about an area near the river called "The West" sort of like colonial Willamsburg. It would be full scale version of a western boomtown. It could even have gun fight reenactments on the street. As an added touch the street could be covered with same rubber dirt at Remington park so you get the dirt road look but you can walk on it when it is raining.

There could be a general store that sells OKC related items, a couple of saloons, restraunts, hotels, shopping, craftsmen and the such. Could even be something to take on The Plaza in KC.

Patrick
08-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I think the river would be a perfect fit for an aquarium. Maybe somewhere between the Stockyards and the Native American Cultural Center.

okrednk
08-26-2006, 04:27 PM
"Kerry"
What a great idea, I hear so many people on this board talk about wanting something original. Yes it would tie into the whole Indians and Cowboys theme, but you know what Oklahoma will always be country like it or not. I think doing something along the lines of what you are talking about but maybe throw in some shows like what ole Buffalo Bill did back in the day, OKC/Bricktown could really come into something entertaining that out of towners would enjoy as well as those in town. Great idea!

jbrown84
08-27-2006, 02:32 PM
What about an area near the river called "The West" sort of like colonial Willamsburg. It would be full scale version of a western boomtown. It could even have gun fight reenactments on the street. As an added touch the street could be covered with same rubber dirt at Remington park so you get the dirt road look but you can walk on it when it is raining.

There could be a general store that sells OKC related items, a couple of saloons, restraunts, hotels, shopping, craftsmen and the such. Could even be something to take on The Plaza in KC.

Except for the rubber dirt, you're describing Frontier City.