View Full Version : Southmoore Sabercats

Pages : [1] 2

chrisok
08-20-2006, 05:46 PM
I know this may be old news to some, but if you didn't know the name of the high school in Moore will be Southmoore Sabercats. What do you think about it? I think it has a nice ring to it, and I guess it makes sense to call it Southmoore since the other one is Westmoore. I also guess it makes sense to stick with the "cat" themed mascot.

Martin
08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
well, it doesn't really matter... westmoore will always be the 'best' moore. heh. sorry, that's my alma mater. moore definitely needed to keep with the cat theme and i'm glad they stuck with it. with a third highschool, i wonder how that'll change the whole politics of moore war... -M

ETL
08-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Yes! I was on a committee to help decide the name, mascot, and colors about three months ago. The colors will be Navy, Red, and Vegas Gold (basically white gold), but I forgot the order of them. I am particularly pleased because everything that I pushed went through. Just be glad that it was not the SantaFe Wildcats or the Heartland Pumas. Those were stupid. lol :spin:

soonerliberal
08-20-2006, 09:31 PM
well, it doesn't really matter... westmoore will always be the 'best' moore.

ROCK ON!!!

But yeah, I think Moore got one right with the naming this time.

OklaCity_75
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
The heartland term needs to be retired. It as about as worn out as Barry Switzer endorsements, the Macarena and spandex.

chrisok
08-20-2006, 11:33 PM
well, it doesn't really matter... westmoore will always be the 'best' moore. heh. sorry, that's my alma mater. moore definitely needed to keep with the cat theme and i'm glad they stuck with it. with a third highschool, i wonder how that'll change the whole politics of moore war... -M

I'm a Moore alum and always thought they should have named Westmoore..Worstmoore. haha

I heard they were close to going with the Bengals as a mascot. Santa Fe was okay, but there's already an Edmond Santa Fe. I also heard that Centennial was also thrown around as a name. Would have been kind of fitting being that it would have opened during our state's centennial. Heartland would have been horrible.

Martin
08-21-2006, 06:02 AM
grrr... them's fightin' words. at least you didn't say we were the 'rich kids'... i always hated that one.

as for 'santa fe' moore already has an elementary school named that. and i totally agree, heartland would've just been goofy. honestly, for the last several years the only name i've heard tossed around was southmoore and i think that was the best fit. as for the mascot, all things considered, sabercats sounds like it was the best name that was being thrown around.

ETL
08-21-2006, 04:37 PM
Centennial is the name of a new high school in OKC.

mranderson
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Centennial is the name of a new high school in OKC.

I have not heard of Centennial High School in Oklahoma City. Where is it?

Keith
08-21-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm a Moore alum and always thought they should have named Westmoore..Worstmoore. haha

I heard they were close to going with the Bengals as a mascot. Santa Fe was okay, but there's already an Edmond Santa Fe. I also heard that Centennial was also thrown around as a name. Would have been kind of fitting being that it would have opened during our state's centennial. Heartland would have been horrible.
I'm a Moore Alumni myself (1979). WestMoore is "ok," but Moore High School is THE high school in Moore. I even still know the school fight song.

Moore, Moore, school we all adore, M O O R E,
Red, royal blue, faithful, always true,
we'll be together whatever the weather, lions and lionettes too,
oh, Moore high, for you we'll always try and may we bring honor to our school,
we're going to fight, fight, fight, for victory,
for MHS we'll do or die.........FIGHT!

The main reason I remember this song is because I was in the band, and we played it constantly.

windowphobe
08-21-2006, 05:49 PM
"Centennial" replaces "Eisenhower" as the name of the high school east of both old and new versions of John Marshall.

kellekokid
08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm a Moore Alumni myself (1979). WestMoore is "ok," but Moore High School is THE high school in Moore. I even still know the school fight song.

Moore, Moore, school we all adore, M O O R E,
Red, royal blue, faithful, always true,
we'll be together whatever the weather, lions and lionettes too,
oh, Moore high, for you we'll always try and may we bring honor to our school,
we're going to fight, fight, fight, for victory,
for MHS we'll do or die.........FIGHT!

The main reason I remember this song is because I was in the band, and we played it constantly.

Keith this post could have been written by me!! I also graduated from Moore in '79 and was in the band! One of my fondest memories of the band was at home games where we would enter in to the stadium with just the drum line playing the cadence as we would march in, going under the stadium seats. The feel of that reverberating through me always gave me a goosebumps.

I like the name SaberCats, though I wll always be partial to our Lions!

floater
08-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Okay, another Westmoore Jaguar (early 90's and in the band as well) here. I was a member of the first full graduating class (iow, to go all three grades) and a cool thing about that was having the opportunity to vote for the mascot and colors.

I think it was dry to call the school Southmoore. It's great to have a cat mascot, but the direction naming is so boring. Still, I'm sure the name will make its own identity as the name Westmoore did. Southmoore Sabercats has that nice alliterative sound too.:)

It is Westmoore that rules the district :) although Southmoore will probably better us both.

BTW, I loved that cadence through the stadium too. OBA was the best, though.

Intrepid
08-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Another Jaguar here as well. Class of 1990. The second graduating class.

Intrepid
08-21-2006, 08:03 PM
Okay, another Westmoore Jaguar (early 90's and in the band as well) here. I was a member of the first full graduating class (iow, to go all three grades) and a cool thing about that was having the opportunity to vote for the mascot and colors.

I think it was dry to call the school Southmoore. It's great to have a cat mascot, but the direction naming is so boring. Still, I'm sure the name will make its own identity as the name Westmoore did. Southmoore Sabercats has that nice alliterative sound too.:)

It is Westmoore that rules the district :) although Southmoore will probably better us both.

BTW, I loved that cadence through the stadium too. OBA was the best, though.

I just hope that when the local retailers (e.g. Wal-Mart) begin to sell memoribilia they actually spell the school's name as it was inteded: Southmoore. Not like when they spell Westmoore as "West Moore". I know it's petty, but that just drove me crazy every time I saw it like that. It's Westmoore. All one word. No capitalization of the M.

:tiphat:

OklaCity_75
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Westmoore will always be the best Moore.

I am a Jaguar as well class of 93. One thing I will never forget is when the drumline would play in locker island after first hour.

As soon as the bell rang after first hour the drumline would strike up. It was so cool because you could here it all over the school. I can still hear that beat in my mind to this day.

floater
08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
I just hope that when the local retailers (e.g. Wal-Mart) begin to sell memoribilia they actually spell the school's name as it was inteded: Southmoore. Not like when they spell Westmoore as "West Moore". I know it's petty, but that just drove me crazy every time I saw it like that. It's Westmoore. All one word. No capitalization of the M.

:tiphat:

Yeah, that bugged me too.

OklaCity, I was a senior the year that drumline performance in center island happened. You must have been a sophomore. We were gearing up for OBA. As a thorough bandnerd (hehe), it was great to see the other students dazzled and excited from the performance.

Easy180
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
way too many westmoore folks on here :fighting3

My buddy calls my side Poor Moore...but I worked as a banker in the West Moore area for several years and let me tell you...Many do have higher incomes over there...but higher debt as well...still 5 or 6 paychecks away from going broke as many of us in poor moore are

I would say in terms of net worth it's close to a draw

Spartan
10-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Those that call us Poor Moore have not been east of Bryant.

Centerback
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Centennial is also a new elementary school in Edmond.

mikejones
10-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I think its ok to be called the Soutmoore Sabercats and all, but I definately disagree with the colors. The gold is an alright idea, but the Moore Public School system consists of too much red and blue. I think we should take the color red and blue, fuse them together to get purple, and add black and white resulting in a color pattern of Purple, Black and White. Just imagine the football uniforms looking like the Baltimore Ravens! That is tight!

John
10-15-2006, 01:29 PM
They went with red as one of the colors b/c that is the common color within the two current schools.

Same with gray in the Edmond schools and black in the Norman schools.

SoonerDave
01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
A few interesting tidbits come to mind (oh, and by the way, I'm a Moore '82 grad myself).

* Now the sports folks get to figure out how to schedule THREE different teams into ONE stadium (or will Southmoore get its own?)

* Will Southmoore's districting hurt Westmoore's or Moore's athletic teams more? My trick knee says Moore.

* How many Moore Wars will we have now? Three?

* Moore Classic vs Westmoore
* Moore Classic vs Southmoore
* Westmoore vs Southmoore

* and which will be the REAL Moore War?

:)

-SoonerDave

Ginkasa
01-08-2007, 03:21 PM
New Moore grad: '06.

I think Southmoore will have its own stadium, along with a new auditorium with the stage and everything.

I personally expect that MHS vs. WHS will still be "the" Moore War for a few years. The tradition is far too strong for a new school to change it so quickly.

Does anyone know when this school is supposed to open?

metro
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
A few interesting tidbits come to mind (oh, and by the way, I'm a Moore '82 grad myself).

* Now the sports folks get to figure out how to schedule THREE different teams into ONE stadium (or will Southmoore get its own?)

* Will Southmoore's districting hurt Westmoore's or Moore's athletic teams more? My trick knee says Moore.

* How many Moore Wars will we have now? Three?

* Moore Classic vs Westmoore
* Moore Classic vs Southmoore
* Westmoore vs Southmoore

* and which will be the REAL Moore War?

:)

-SoonerDave

The Putnam City District has been pulling this off for years, don't know why Moore can't?

MrZ
01-09-2007, 05:34 AM
I was at the original Moore War my senior year in 1988. That will ALWAYS be the REAL Moore War! My son should be in the first graduating class at Southmoore (I was in the first Westmoore graduating class), so my tune may change in a couple years ;)

SoonerDave
01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Putnam City has been doing it for years...

Well, I think the point is that in terms of statewide competition, the central/west Oklahoma schools have been handicapped by their "fragmentation" (for lack of a better term), while the eastern/northeastern schools (Jenks, Broken Arrow, etc) have benefitted from the fact that their each just one enormous school. If you dilute the enrollment across multiple schools, you naturally dilute the talent base, that's all.

When I graduated Moore in 1982, we had a senior class of (I think) 1,042 students....seems like that was the biggest single graduating class in the state that year, don't remember. There may have been one or two classes after us that were larger, but after that time the numbers dropped, and then once Westmoore opened the numbers dipped even further...

-SoonerDave

metro
01-09-2007, 12:25 PM
gotcha.

johnnyboyokc
01-15-2007, 02:22 AM
well you are both right,,, wm in 92 but cut us into thirds and we are edmond

bombermwc
01-26-2007, 07:56 AM
I've been a proponent of school consolidation in OKC for some time. Every time we divide our schools up here in OKC, we give our kids a dissadvantage because the Tulsa schools won't ever split. Think of the resources and cost savings associated with a single high school in a district?

Places like PC, Mid-Del, Norman, Moore, Edmond....we'd all be bigger than the Tulsa Schools and would be able to win all of the arts/athletic events. Not to mention that there would be a unified in-district feel instead of the split (our school is better than yours) idea now. Plus the neighborhoods get tied to a single school and it starts a downward trend that could be better absorbed in a single school...level the playing field for all.

Resources....think about large universities and how their resources affect their students. The same can be transferred down to a high school. Offer more AP and Honors courses because of the larger student base, better science labs, etc. Fewer buildings to maintain, fewer custodial and grounds workers, things like that. A lot of these districts already share football stadiums, why not one single large gym (like the UMAC at union), and a really nice large auditorium (Like PC North).

It just bugs me to see schools split and cut kids out like this!! ARGH!

Martin
01-26-2007, 08:11 AM
granted consolidation will concentrate talent under one roof, but that would come at the cost of quality of education. however, i don't think that the central mission of a highschool is to have the best football team or the best band... a school's central mission (imo) should be to provide the student with an education that gives him the tools to succeed in life. i therefore think it's in the student's best interest to be in a highschool of fewer than 1000. while economies of scale can be better applied to larger campuses, the student is not afforded as personal of an education... it's harder to stand out when he is one of a few thousand. -M

bombermwc
03-27-2007, 07:54 AM
I would disagree about the quality of education. That's a matter of class-size, not school size. Otherwise, we wouldn't have these big schools with such great students in them. Standing out doesn't equal a good education either. I would never agree about a school under 1000. That knocks out every 6A school, and I think most would admit that the 6A'ers are getting some of the best education around. There's no way I would let my child attend a 2A or 3A.

I'll be interested to know how the lines affect the bands...which school it will pull from more. And how they are going to handle the fact they still have 5 middle schools and need another one.

cindyl57
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Just had to offer my HooRah here....Being from Moore and graduating in 75....back when we had just one High School...
My 9th grade year I attended Central and that was the first time the 9th grade was divided...Part of us went to the High School...I think it was the next year we had Highland West....Our first other Jr.High...
Moore has grown so so much...and I am proud...Southmoore Sabercats sounds Great...and the colors...Wow...
All my children did Graduate from The Original Moore...and I now have 4 grandsons that are or will be attending the Moore Schools...Now I just have to get my Daughter to move her 3 children here....to make it complete...I think that she wants to make that happen before her Daughter reaches Middle school in the Putman City Schools...

Go Moore...
And for all those Alumni..that remember the school songs..
Do you remember your Junior High song..
I still remember Centrals...don't know if they have changed it or not...
Can't remember what we had for dinner last night..but....Like I said..not blonde...just a covered up gray...

Cindy

Intrepid
03-27-2007, 09:55 AM
When I graduated Moore in 1982, we had a senior class of (I think) 1,042 students....seems like that was the biggest single graduating class in the state that year, don't remember. There may have been one or two classes after us that were larger, but after that time the numbers dropped, and then once Westmoore opened the numbers dipped even further...

-SoonerDave

I think one of two sisters graduated in 1982 with that large class.

Intrepid
03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
The boundaries are on the Moore Schools web site:

http://www.mooreschools.com/793482112132618/lib/793482112132618/Maps/MooreSEC2008.pdf

Also, Southmoore has their site up and running within the same Moore Schools site. When I saw it a few months back, the colors were different. Now it seems like they've updated it in the actual school colors:

Southmoore High School (http://www.mooreschools.com/shs/site/default.asp?)

bombermwc
03-28-2007, 08:11 AM
Its kind of hard to make out with all the street name on the map. So it looks like Westmoore will lose more kids than Moore. Is that accurate?

Intrepid
03-28-2007, 11:14 AM
Its kind of hard to make out with all the street name on the map. So it looks like Westmoore will lose more kids than Moore. Is that accurate?

I kinda got that impression as well.

MrZ
03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
That map is horrible. Would be nice if they would shade the areas for each school instead of just using hard to see borders.

roontburger2006
03-28-2007, 09:08 PM
For those of us who don't want to register or who can't figure out the map..where exactly is this gonna be? It looks realllly nice!

chrisok
03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
^^^
On Santa Fe, south of 19th St. Pretty close to 34th.

russellc
04-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Anyone notice the proposed twin lake to Draper. It looks like they will touch with a dam connecting.

Millie
04-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Russell- that is interesting.

I'm just trying to wrap my mind around the district map... where do the people who live in the area of the proposed lake go to jr high? Central?

Anybody know anything about the other lake? West Elm, I think they called it? (Sorry if this is too off topic.)

cindyl57
04-15-2007, 07:43 AM
I remember at one time, they were talking about making Draper BIGGER...Hmmm And never did...maybe they decided to just build another lake...instead...
In fact I just asked my husband and he said that about 30 years ago or more they bought a bunch of land out there to make the lake bigger..His best friends Dad owned land out there that he had to sell....

Cindy

MrZ
04-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Did a little research and most of the info on the Draper expansion is from the 70's, didn't see anything recent. Might just be that they used an old map that still had it listed. There are a number of new homes out there, can't see them flooding them.

Martin
04-15-2007, 01:13 PM
here's a recent pdf of planning for the southeast 'sector' of okc. the information regarding the proposed reservoir starts around page 20:

https://www.okc.gov/planning/documents/SESectorPlanFINAL07_02-23_001.pdf (https://www.okc.gov/planning/documents/SESectorPlanFINAL07_02-23_001.pdf)

-M

Millie
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks mmm!

I'd seen parts of the sector plan but not the whole document. So it looks like the expansion is 20+ years out.

bombermwc
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm glad this came out now. It shows how that sector of the city is much more alive than people thought.

SoonerDave
04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
That map is incredibly confusing. Are the colored areas showing the high school regions, or are the green dotted lines the boundaries??

edit: Ok, read the legend, but its still a stupid boundary. My kids will drive almost directly past Moore West JH to be driven two extra miles to Brink JH? that's DUMB...

-soonerdave

bombermwc
04-18-2007, 09:16 AM
You think that's dumb SoonerDave....take a trip down to Norman. They built a jr. high across the street from another one and bus ALL the kids in from another part of Norman to go there. How crazy is that??? Norman PS has all kinds of stuff screwed up. Sometimes I wonder what the people that run the place are smoking.

russellc
04-20-2007, 09:14 AM
MrZ:

There are a number of new homes out there, can't see them flooding them.

I overlayed the map on google earth and I couldn't find any new homes that are in the lake. I checked the County Assessors webiste to see who owned that land. The city owns almost all (probably 95%) of the land already. I only found a few mobile homes that are on land where the lake will partially cover the land, but not where the mobile home is.

Clegg
07-14-2007, 11:00 PM
New Moore grad: '06.

I think Southmoore will have its own stadium, along with a new auditorium with the stage and everything.

I personally expect that MHS vs. WHS will still be "the" Moore War for a few years. The tradition is far too strong for a new school to change it so quickly.

Does anyone know when this school is supposed to open?

'Allo, new here. Westmoore grad of '07, but I have always lived, literally, across the street from Moore. Odd, eh?

Anyhoo, according to the Southmoore website (http://www.mooreschools.com/shs/site/default.asp), they are opening in August of 2008.

SOONER8693
07-15-2007, 05:33 PM
I teach at Westmoore, have since day 1. Been in the Moore system for 30 years. Southmoore is scheduled to open in the fall of 2008. It will NOT have it's own stadium. It will have an auditorium and gym. The gym at Westmoore is a disgrace. The administration that accepted those plans when WHS was built, should have their butts kicked everyday for the rest of their lives. The principal for Soutmoore has not yet been named, at least as of July 1, nor has the work begun on the new faculty.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
07-16-2007, 04:21 AM
I teach at Westmoore, have since day 1. Been in the Moore system for 30 years. Southmoore is scheduled to open in the fall of 2008. It will NOT have it's own stadium. It will have an auditorium and gym. The gym at Westmoore is a disgrace. The administration that accepted those plans when WHS was built, should have their butts kicked everyday for the rest of their lives. The principal for Soutmoore has not yet been named, at least as of July 1, nor has the work begun on the new faculty.

Yeah...They gym may suck...But how about those overhead coiling shutters and grills?

My dad and I installed them when Westmoore was being built :D

Put the big grills in Moore City Hall too.

Intrepid
07-16-2007, 05:27 AM

I attended Westmoore when it first opened (was the second graduating class in 1990)

What do you teach?

SOONER8693
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
I have mainly taught Honors and General Biology I to sophs. I have had an occassional chemistry and Botany class.

Intrepid
08-30-2007, 07:36 AM
There's some construction pics of Southmoore at this link:

Southmoore High School (http://www.mooreschools.com/shs/cwp/view.asp?A=3&Q=311678)

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

bombermwc
08-30-2007, 09:10 AM
As I understand it, Moore will be getting a new auditorium soon, and Westmoore will be getting a real gym. However, they will all three share Moore Stadium, as metro said, they aren't worried about scheduling. Edmond and PC both share 3 schools (and Edmond also has to deal with UCO).

What happens is that people start ending up with Thursday night games instead of always Fridays. It's already starting to some extent...the Moore/MWC game is thursday this year because its a TV game on Cox.

I'm always dissapointed in the architects in the Moore projects. They make things so generic and boring...no pizazz at all. It's an unmistakeable school building...a very boring one. Westmoore is just as bad...one sprawling boring single story bleh-fest.

russellc
09-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Are they going to improve the Football stadium any. The upper deck on the home side doesn't match with the lower part underneath, there is a step that is over a foot tall, not very safe! And then the visitor side sucks all around, there aren't even bleachers, just stepped concrete, and they need an improved concession stand, and their own bathrooms over there also.

user name
09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
i go to brink and have to go to south moore and really wish they were called the southmoore pumas

Dave Cook
09-09-2007, 08:26 PM
It's funny how it's all band alum on here who have gone on to message board fame. ;)

Speaking of Pumas, I remember voting on the mascot at Westmoore back in the old days and 'Pumas' being one of the choices. Face it...horrible idea.