View Full Version : Reflection: OKC-Based Sonic Featured in Several Hit Movies

okcpulse
08-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Maybe it isn't that big of a deal, or maybe it is a subject that strikes at the heart of curiosity and the "I didn't realize that" factor. Sonic Drive-In, one of the most popular fast-food restaurants across southern and southwestern America is also a backdrop in several motion picture films.

The first is 'National Lampoon's Vacation". The Griswalds are in Colorado, and stop at Sonic for a quick bite. Clark Griswald receives the food and places the tray on the window, where the tray falls and food spills all over the ground.

Then there is 'Fandango', where Kevin Costner's character and the gang stop at a Sonic to pick up girls.

And finally, 'Dazed and Confused', where the gang visits Sonic several times to eat and socialize.

Just food for thought.

Swake2
08-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Are these scene’s at drive in restaurants or specifically at Sonic?

Another interesting tidbit, one scene in Fandango is a plane landing on Tulsa’s Inner Dispersal Loop (the highway that rings downtown).

mranderson
08-20-2006, 02:17 PM

Another interesting tidbit, one scene in Fandango is a plane landing on Tulsa’s Inner Dispersal Loop (the highway that rings downtown).

"Vacation" was specifically at Sonic. In fact, I bet they paid for product placement. The others could have been coincidences.

okcpulse
08-20-2006, 03:18 PM

These scenes are specifically at Sonic.

chrisok
08-20-2006, 05:40 PM
I believe the drive in used in Dazed and Confused was a "Top Notch" Drive In. It may have really been a Sonic, but they do show a sign that says otherwise.

BDP
08-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Yeah and in Fandango, the car repair man refers to the Dairy Queen, but the establishing shot is a Sonic.

"Give me two Chili dogs and malt".