View Full Version : Bricktown/Downtown needs a killer app

traxx
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
We need something that is a destination for travelers and tourist. We have several small and medium attractions but if we had something that was a big draw then all the other downtown stuff would be icing on the cake.

I know that the completion of the I-40 move is several years down the line, but when the land by the Oklahoma river is opened up for development I think it would be great to have a theme park and a water park built together as one park on the river. And I mean a good park, not like White Water or Frontier City. Maybe the water park could also have an indoor water park so it could be open year round. Something like this http://www.greatwolf.com/

The parks wouldn't need to be as big as Six Flags or Schlitterbahn but bigger and more ambitious than what we have now.

What about you guys? Any other ideas? Thoughts?

jbrown84
08-18-2006, 11:48 AM
This idea has been brought up before and discussed at length in other threads. Although it would be nice, I would prefer to see White Water moved to the current Frontier City site and the combined park get a major upgrade. This would include cleaning up the area north of Frontier City, which is otherwise in a very good location on a major interstate and with trees and hills.

metro
08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Yeah, please do a search. This has been discussed numerous times.

Patrick
08-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Really, amusement parks aren't as popular as they once were. Let's think up something more unique.

traxx
08-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I guess I didn't make myself clear. The point wasn't amusement parks, the point was killer apps. That was mine, what is yours? I would like to know.

Luke
08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I think a large boardwalk themed lifestyle center like Downtown Disney right along the river would be killer. Restaurants, entertainment venues, shops and arcades would be cool right along the river.

http://www.explorethemagic.com/images/maps/disney-world-downtown-disney-map.jpg

jbrown84
08-21-2006, 08:48 AM
Sorry. What is a "killer app"?

keving
08-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Sorry. What is a "killer app"?
Yes, for the sake of the clarity, please stop abbreviating words or phrases or names unless it had been mentioned earlier in the post and is clearly understandable. It's just good net-etiquette.

Pete
08-21-2006, 09:36 AM
A "killer app" is short for "application" and the phrase comes from the software industry whereby one thing becomes so compelling that it can't be ignored.

The good news for the area is that there are huge areas of un- or under-developed properties all around, especially towards the river.

It would be great if there was a vision that was bold and unique instead of just filling it up with chain restaurants and a series of uniteresting buildings.

As much as I've always disliked the grain co-op immeidiately south of downtown, it might be cool to convert the properties into a really unique adaptive use. That would be the one truly unique think OKC could offer.

And BTW, I think we all could do a better job of welcoming new posters even if they bring up topics previously discussed.

jbrown84
08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
A "killer app" is short for "application" and the phrase comes from the software industry whereby one thing becomes so compelling that it can't be ignored.

Thank you. I'm afraid that reference was a little too obscure for me.

And BTW, I think we all could do a better job of welcoming new posters even if they bring up topics previously discussed.

Sorry about that. There just seems to have been a lot of that kind of posting lately. I really didn't pay much attention to how many posts he had.

traxx
08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, sorry about the killer app reference, I just assumed. And we all know what happens when you assume...sometimes you're wrong.:boff:

You're exactly right MalibuSooner, we need a master plan not just chain restaurants. Something that's cool and different and will set us apart. However, I'm so afraid that what we'll get is another lower bricktown. Since the name lower bricktown is already taken we could call it inferior bricktown.