View Full Version : 49th & Western?

sdsooners
08-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Anyone know what they are doing to the old Spanish church on 49th & Western? They have been working on it for several months and seem to be doing some massive renovations.

escan
08-16-2006, 01:58 PM
I heard that it will be a fitness center, with yoga, pilates, etc.

wsucougz
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
It looks jacked up. The towers they have added appear to be all sorts of different heights.

mranderson
08-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone know what they are doing to the old Spanish church on 49th & Western? They have been working on it for several months and seem to be doing some massive renovations.

North or South Western? Afterall, there are 49 & Western's on both sides of town.

BDP
08-16-2006, 03:56 PM
Are there spanish churches at both 49th and Westerns?

Patrick
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
Not sure, but I'm trying to picture this as well. Is this south western?

Keith
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Not sure, but I'm trying to picture this as well. Is this south western?
it's got to be N. Western, because I go by SW.49 & Western everyday, and there is no construction or remodeling being done at all.

John
08-16-2006, 05:34 PM
I believe it will be a salon & spa and keep the name Iglecia.

Midtowner
08-16-2006, 05:37 PM
When I was in the Oklahoma Youth Symphony, Leigh Burns, the director at the time, had a music store in that building. There was also an organic foods store/restaurant called "The Earth." Burns moved back home to New York, and I'm not sure what happened to the restaurant.

The building's name is "Iglesia" which is Spanish for church. The building was originally a church of some sort. A salon and spa will do quite well at that location. Being between Nichols Hills and Crown Heights will virtually ensure that.

SoonerDave
08-16-2006, 08:08 PM
When I was in the Oklahoma Youth Symphony...

...Forgive the brief off-topic diversion, but I haven't heard of that in a long, long time...20+ years?? Is the OYO still even around?

Although I am not a musician, I was very fond of a young lady violinist who WAS...alas, try as I did, I was unable to strike a "chord" with her...

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

-SoonerDave...waxing nostalgic...

Midtowner
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
...Forgive the brief off-topic diversion, but I haven't heard of that in a long, long time...20+ years?? Is the OYO still even around?

Although I am not a musician, I was very fond of a young lady violinist who WAS...alas, try as I did, I was unable to strike a "chord" with her...

...we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

-SoonerDave...waxing nostalgic...

I was a member 10-15 years ago (was involved for a period of time). It is still around, however, management has changed. The current director of OYS is Brian Lamb from UCO as well as Lori Wooden.

OYO is also still around. I believe Peter Marcus, an OCU grad, and the orchestra director at Edmond North HS is the director.

escan
08-17-2006, 08:40 AM
I remember the Earth from my college days at OCU (it wasn't THAT long ago)....it was a great little vegetarian restaurant.

ksearls
08-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Yes, The Earth was great. Yummy hummis tahini pita sanwiches. There was also one in Norman. Boy, I miss those hippies!

Midtowner
08-17-2006, 09:27 AM
I highly recommend the Red Cup. If you enjoy hippie food, that place is for you.

-- the vegetarian frito pie is excellent, their specials sound a little strnage, but they're excellent without fail.

metro
08-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Did we ever figure out if this was N. or S. Western? I'm not picturing it. sdsooners please clarify your question.

Midtowner
08-17-2006, 11:28 AM
North Western.

No doubt. Spanish Church? I know for a fact that a building called "The Iglesia" (which is Spanish for church) is located at 49th and Western. Went to Highschool about a stone's throw away.

sdsooners
08-17-2006, 11:34 AM
I am talking about north Western, just north of Crown Heights before you get to I-44.