View Full Version : Car Insurance Opinions???

Patrick
10-19-2004, 12:36 AM
I've been with State Farm insurance ever since I started driving. I haven't had any problems with them but they're a lot higher in price than other companies I have checked with. I was just curious what experiences other people have had on this board with insurance companies, specifically car, homeowners, life, etc., not medical.

I'm looking at Shelter and Farmers right now but I'm not sure whether to make a switch. Please let us know what company you're with and what your opinions are of that company.

mranderson
10-19-2004, 08:53 AM
I am with Farmers and have been since 1990.

Here is what they have done for my family. I had two claims on a car and a truck. They paid the claims without question. On the home owners insurance. My parents lost two houses in the 1999 tornado. The insurance agent filed the claim and had a check in my parents mailbox before they even knew about the loss. The fact they have 36 pieces of real estate and nearly one dozen vehicles insured with Farmers may have played a role. However, they really took great care of us during those times.

In fact, the homes were rebuilt and re leased before Christmas that year... And built better than the original.

I HIGHLY reccomend Farmers.

I have heard a lot of horror stories about Shelter. Many concerning the two major tornados.

Keith
10-19-2004, 09:39 AM
I have had my car and life insurance with a company called GuideOne insurance for the last 15 years. They only insure non drinkers and non smokers, so their rates are real good. I have my homeowners insurance with State Farm, but I am about to change that. They raised their rates on me and I have never filed a claim.

I have never had any problems with any claims that I have submitted to GuideOne, and I know my insurance agent and he knows me. I have checked around, and I could not find a better insurance rate than what I have now. I have three cars insured, and just recently, added my 16 year old son to our policy. YIKES!!! :eek: Fotunately, with his good grades in school he gets a good student discount, plus a discount because he went to driving school.

For a quote, you can contact Richard Haynie @ 681-0023.

Midtowner
10-22-2004, 12:27 PM
Farmer's has been good to me.

HoodRat
10-27-2004, 12:16 AM
I've had a bad experience with Allstate in a homeowner fire loss. The good hands people. Their hands are good around your throat.

State Farm treated me well when the canopy (sold to me and installed by J&I Hitch South OKC) blew off my '97 F-150 and found its way into the face of an Acura on I-35.

Progressive treated me poorly in a situation where a kid hit my 2000 model Dodge truck and I could not get a police response to verify blame, so it went to my policy.

Geico was good to me in an incident where their insured hit my 2002 Sebring.

I switched to Geico and they treated me well when an uninsured motorist smashed the 2002 Sebring.

That's why I currently have a liability policy through State Farm on a 1964 Chevy 1 ton. Go ahead, hit it... See how ya like it. I recommend not even parking by it. It eats cars.

Anyway.... Insurance sucks, necessary evil. I'm sure its all some conspiracy too large to comprehend. Get used to it. Hope this helps.

Keith
10-28-2004, 02:48 PM
I just changed my homeowners insurance from State Farm to GuideOne insurance. GuideOne is the insurance company that I have my car and life ins with. Since I now have all three (homeowners, life, and car insurance) with the same insurance company, I am getting a $100.00 discount on homeowners and a $200.00 discount on car insurance. :Smiley105

Patrick
10-28-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info. Keith. You're getting the multi-line discount that most insurance companies offer for carrying all 3 types of coverage.

Rwbluz
11-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Well let me know what you finf with shelter, i have always been with farmers but more and more of people tell me they are higher any one use progressive insurence

. :rock_on:

Rwbluz

Rwbluz
11-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Rwbluz

Patrick
11-03-2004, 02:28 PM
Hey Rwbliz,

Thanks for the post. And by the way, welcome to the site.

Actually, my fiancee and her family have had Shelter for many years. I've been considering switching from State Farm because Shelter is so much cheaper. They've been happy with Shelter. My fiancee's brother had an accident recently and they covered it and all. But my family has been with State Farm for years, and I just hate to leave. We've always had great service from State Farm, but they're so expensive.

I have a 1993 Nissan Sentra Sedan. I have everything on it except collision coverage. At State Farm I'm currently paying $456 every 6 months. My fiancee's Shelter agent gave me a quote of $324 every 6 months. When I get married it would even go down to $277 every 6 months, and her agent told me that because we're getting married in May 2005, he could go ahead and give me the married discount now, even though we're not married yet.

Hmmm....$277 versus $456.... versus the service of State Farm and a somewhat unknown about Shelter. That's why I'm wanting to hear more about Shelter.

mranderson
11-03-2004, 02:32 PM
I remember several people appearing before the city council on delapidated structures or unsecured structures that had Shelter Insurance.

In every case, they said Shelter would not pay them the amount they had insured the struture for. Plus, Shelter was dragging their feet in settleing the claims. These were from the May 8, 2003 tornado in Southeast Oklahoma City.

Of course, to be fair, I must also say these people could be hiding part of the truth. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

To be safe (no pun intended), I would not go Shelter.