View Full Version : Being A Bit Narrow Minded

FOR GIVING HUSBAND
08-09-2006, 03:42 PM
The Community Learning Council (CLC) is non-profit agency in Oklahoma City founded to eradicate domestic violence with a state-licensed program that treats men and women convicted of domestic abuse. The Oklahomans who run the agency believe they've been "blacklisted" by Oklahoma County District Attorney Wes Lane.

The seed of domestic violence is planted years before the first signs of brutality. It is the kind of assault that takes refuge in control, feeds on power and erupts into terror in your own home. The damage will last long after the bruises are gone.

For decades the social services community championed the victims of domestic abuse. Now with a twist, a program was designed to fight the problem through education for the perpetrator. The state calls the program "batterer intervention."

Ginger Decoteau, founder of the Community Learning Council says, "If battering is a socially learned behavior then without un-learning it, then I don't think it's going to change."

Some offenders are required to take batterer intervention. Others chose to take the classes because they're afraid of what will happen at home if they don't.

One [un-named] offender says without the CLC's program, "Something could have possibly happened a few days later - a few weeks later. There's no telling. This program really did help me out a whole lot. I wish I would've taken something like this before anything ever happened."

The batterer intervention program at The Community Learning Council is in danger of being shut down because they can't attract enough offenders.

Decoteau says, "I've been told I have a different philosophy. I've been blacklisted."

The batterer intervention program at the YWCA in Oklahoma City is treating more than 50 offenders. They get 75% of their business from the courts as a judge makes the final sentence. But, the District Attorney's office is often asked to make a recommendation. The Oklahoma County DA chooses only to recommend the program at the YWCA.

Oklahoma Count D.A. spokesperson, Debbie Forshee says, "We've had a long, very good working relationship with the YWCA."

The problem is occasionally there is a waiting list at the YWCA. Batterers who aren't able to get in are sent home to their families without education.

Tayma Cochran treats offenders at the Community Learning Council. She says she's frustrated, "We have the ability to provide services to any of these people on the waiting list -- and they're on the waiting list."

Decoteau believes the D.A. has heard something about their batterer intervention program that isn't true.

We obtained e-mail correspondence between D.A. Wes Lane and a metro domestic violence advocate. Lane writes, "This gal is in la la land." But, when the e-mail was written, Lane had never met Ginger Decoteau. He had never reviewed her program. Lane's office says he later met Decoteau in person, and that meeting confirmed his previous assessment.

THAT DOESN'T SOUND VERY CHRISTIAN TO ME

MAKING JUDGMENT ON SOMEONE BEFORE HE HAS THE FACTS OR THE PERSONS ACTIONS HAS CAUSED JUDGMENT

I WOULD FIGURE THEY WOULD WANT SOMEONE WHO WOULD BE OPENED MINDED

YOU KNOW A PERSON WHO BELIEVES A PERSON INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY OR AT THE VERY LEAST MEETS THEM THIS DOES NOT SEEM TO BE THE CASE WITH MR. LANE

HE HAS THREATENED TO TELL IN THE PRESS ABOUT HER AND HER ORGANIZATION TO DATE ALL I'VE SEEN IS SLANDER AND PUT DOWNS . THERE HAS BEEN NOTHING HE'S BASING HIS JUDGMENT ON. THIS MAY BE ANOTHER ONE OF HIS THEORIES

MEANING OF THEORY.......

POSSIBLE TRUTH NEEDS PROOF , UNTRIED ASSUMPTION, ONE PERSON'S BELIEF TO BE TRUE

IN OTHER WORDS HE'S HAS NO PROOF
HAS HIS OWN AGENDA

Kathy Karmic teaches batterer intervention at the Community Learning Council. She believes the DA is trying to sabotage their organization. She says, "They don't want to spread the services out - which is insane. If someone needs mental health services they need to be able to get them."

The DA's office says they are not obligated to do business with the Community Learning Council or any other agency. They say they only contract with agencies they trust. They do not trust Ginger Decoteau or the Community Learning Council.

Forshee says, "Why should we use an organization we don't feel is serving our purpose and following our mission?" The DA's office says they will never recommend the program at the Community Learning Council.

So, for now, the batterer intervention room at the Community Learning Council is largely unused. And, the woman who built the program to help families broken by domestic violence faces a circle of non-profits refusing to let her help. Decoteau says, "We have had this service available for nearly a year with an empty room that we pay for and we have probably helped five batterers."

MY QUESTION IS WHO'S PURPOSE AND WHO'S MISSION ? LAST TIME I CHECKED HE WORKED FOR THE PEOPLE AND TO BLACK MARK OR REFUSE HELP FROM ANY ORGANIZATION WISHING TO HELP WITH ANY PROBLEM OUR SOCIETY HAS IS IN MY OPINION A BIT NARROW MINDED OR HAS OTHER REASONS WHICH HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED HIM IN.

I, AM SORRY TO SAY GOD DID NOT GET A VOTE:fighting3

Midtowner
08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
There are a ton of programs that do this. This one doesn't fit the requisites of those who are doing the choosing, thus, it is not going to be selected very often.

If the County has a good relationship with YWCA, they think they're getting a fair deal, and a good product, then why the heck should they use someone else?

None of your arguments are even close to coherant. This isn't about "Christianity," this is about letting decision makers choose the best possible service for our tax dollars.

It's not very conservative or Christian to assume that because the CLC provides services that are LIKE the YWCA that they are equal in quality, or equal in value.

Your argument is pretty much a non-starter here as well. I'll be voting for Prater for different reasons, but this is a pretty lame stab at Lane.

FOR GIVING HUSBAND
08-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Not Meant At Stab.
Just The Point Of Again What He Says And Dose Two Different Things.
He's Not Taking Action On Issues Or Just Providing Eyes Wash To The Group Hes Speaking To

Midtowner
08-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Well, your editorial does not tell us why the other service is better. It does not set out that the services are even substantially similar. How can you even make the point that there is an injustice here if you can't even establish that??

FOR GIVING HUSBAND
08-10-2006, 12:44 AM
The in justice is the fact hes not using a service that might help a problem with in the city and else where. Hes called her names and made statements as to her lying but has come out and told no one whats shes done. His statements were before he even meet her. but not using the service at all is doing a futher injustice to the people.

Midtowner
08-10-2006, 06:49 AM
You're not answering the question.

Besides, I'm sure that her program sent direct mail, correspondence, etc. to Lane's office. He had to have enough information to realize that she was in la la land.

So no, you haven't answered the question, and neither does the editorial as to why her service was substnatially better or more efficient than YWCA, or even that it was remotely comparable.

FOR GIVING HUSBAND
08-10-2006, 02:46 PM
Thats my whole point her organization was not given the chance. I've read nothing that the orgianization did any thing wrong or lied about anything other than his statement about being in la la land before he even meet her.