View Full Version : aNOTHER BAND AID

FOR GIVING HUSBAND
08-09-2006, 03:23 PM
:fighting3 Oklahoma County prosecutors' newest method of fighting prostitution is to ask judges to ban prostitutes from certain parts of the city, but the constitutionality of that plan is being questioned.

IF I'M MOT MISTAKEN PROSTITUTION IS AGAINST THE LAW AND IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE CITY OR ELSE WHERE.
TO MAKE CLEAR HERE WHAT THEY ARE PUTTING OUT IS THAT IT WOULD BE ALRIGHT TO HAVE PROSTITUTION IN SOME PLACES BUT NOT WHERE THEY HAVE VOTERS.
Oklahoma County Public Defender Bob Ravitz calls the policy extreme.
I WOULD CALL IT ANOTHER ATTEMPT BY THEM NOT TO TRY AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM BUT PUSHING IT SOME WHERE ELSE. COVERING IT UP, THAN CLAIMING THEIR CLEANING UP THE AREA.
“Maybe we should take it a step further and say they can’t live in Oklahoma County. Would that be constitutional? I don’t think so.”
MAYBE WE SHOULD TAKE THE STEP TO STOP THE REASON THAT LADIES GET INVOLVED WITH PROSTITUTION IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF JUST HAVING A REVOLVING DOOR IN OUR COURT SYSTEM AND THE LAST TIME I CHECKED PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE WHERE THEY WANT TO SAY THEY CAN'T BECAUSE OF SOMETHING THEY MIGHT DO IS FOOLISH UNLESS THEY PLAN ON GOING TO TRY AND ADOPT THE OLD POLICY OF RUSSIA AND GERMANY WHERE A PERSON REQUIRES A PASS FROM THE GOVERNMENT TO MOVE FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER AND FOR SOME REASON I DON'T THINK THEY WANT TO GO DOWN THAT ROAD
Since April, guidelines on what areas of the city people convicted for prostitution are allowed to be in has been a condition of plea agreements in Oklahoma County.
District attorney spokeswoman Debra Forshee said not all judges are aware of the plea condition, but prosecutors are trying to recommend it in all prostitution cases.
THIS SOUNDS A LOT LIKE REQUESTING THE JOHNS TO GO BACK AND CLEAN UP THEIR MESS- THE KEY WORD HERE IS REQUEST
I HATE TO TELL WES LANE THAT'S NOT GOING TO WORK EVEN IF HE ASKS THEM PLEASE
AND TO MY UNDERSTANDING OVER 85% OF THESE TYPE CASES ARE BEING HEARD BY ONE JUDGE. HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO GET THE WORD OUT ?????
According to the agreements, the convicted persons are not allowed in areas known for prostitution unless they are going to the residence of a direct family member, had a residence in one of the prescribed areas prior to the date of arrest or are gainfully employed by a business in that part of town holding an Oklahoma Tax Identification Number.
NOT BEING ABLY TO GET A JOB BECAUSE OF LACK OF TRAINING IS WHAT GOT THEM INTO PROSTITUTION IN THE FIRST PLACE
“I think it’s a creative way to stop prostitution,” Assistant District Attorney Lynne McGuire said. “It’s not unreasonable for someone who is trying to be in a community for a lawful purpose. These are persons who have been placed on probation for an act of prostitution. As part of that, they will not frequent those areas and it precludes them from going into these high-traffic areas for acts of prostitution.”
NO ITS A CREATIVE WAY TO NOT FIX THE PROBLEM OF PROSTITUTION AND PUSH IT SOME WHERE ELSE SO AGAIN IT LOOKS LIKE THEIR CLEANING UP THE STREETS
McGuire said neighborhood associations have been trying to bring the issue of prostitution to the forefront.
“We have to try to respond to their concerns,” McGuire said. “This is one way of trying to recognize that there are certain locations were prostitution is prevalent. This may be a way to help law enforcement.”
McGuire said the district attorney’s office has not revoked probation on anyone who violated the agreement. She said she is not aware of any violations of the agreement.
Police believe the terms of the agreement will be difficult to enforce.
“It’s not going to cure prostitution. It’s just another tool,” Lt. D. Kimberlin said. Kimberlin works on the Oklahoma City police vice unit. He said banning prostitutes from certain areas could push the problem into other areas rather than reduce the number of prostitutes.
“We will create a vacuum and they will try to go someplace else,” Kimberlin said. “Constitutionally, I can’t ban them from walking through Oklahoma City. If they move around to another area we just have to start the cycle over.”
NO WES LANE WILL HAVE CREATED A ILLUSION TO SOLVING THE PROBLEM
MEANING OF ILLUSION: DECEPTIVE IMPRESSION, FALSE CONCEPTION VERY CLOSE TO THE MEANING OF THEORY
Kimberlin said it will take some time for the tactic to fully work. He said officers will make a note that a prostitute was in a certain area, then research to see if an agreement exists in their case and report the violation to the district attorney’s office.
Existing tactics to reduce prostitution, including stings and increased patrols, have been successful during the past few years, Kimberlin said.
THEY HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL AT ARRESTING THE LADIES FOR PROSTITUTION NOT SOLVING THE PROBLEM OR KEEPING THEM OFF THE STREETS OR SHOULD I SAY THE STREETS WITH THE VOTERS BECAUSE OF THE REVOLVING DOOR IN OUR COURT SYSTEM AND PLEA BARGAINS MADE TO THE ONES TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE LADY'S
“You used to see them walking down the street in short skirts and high heels,” Kimberlin said. “You would run them over in your car because they were all over you trying to flag you down. It’s nothing like that now. We’re making a difference. We’ve put a lot of people in jail and helped get some girls out of the business.”
AGAIN THERE'S NO HARD DATA TO BACK UP THIS THEORY JUST THEIR WORD . PUTTING THEM IN JAIL IS NOT THE ISSUE HERE, SOLVING THE PROBLEM WOULD BE.
THEIR STATEMENTS AND ACTIONS DON'T MATCH. UNLESS WES LANES OFFICE HAS NOT HEARD ABOUT THE TACTICS IN PLEA BARGAINS THEY HAVE BEEN MAKING.
THEY ARE DOING NOTHING MORE THAN CREATING A BIGGER REVOLVING DOOR.
Sue DeCharme, chairman of the Oklahoma County Alliance Against Prostitution, said restricting areas known prostitutes are allowed to frequent has been successful in other communities and she believes it will be successful in Oklahoma City.
“I know it throws a huge responsibility over to police, but frankly our police have never been empowered to deal with prostitution because of our laws,” De-Charme said. “Prostitution rings come to our city because our laws are weak. While we are aware it’s the oldest profession in the world, that doesn’t mean we have to accept it.”
PROSTITUTION DOES NOT COME TO ANY CITY THE CONDITIONS ARE ALWAYS THERE. BECAUSE WE DO NOT DEVELOP A SYSTEM TO STOP PEOPLE FROM TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE LADIES NOT GIVING THEM ANY OTHER OPTION BEING HUNGRY AND NEEDING A PLACE TO GET OUT OF THE WEATHER MAKES THEM EASY TARGETS FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO USE THEM. OR MAKING PLEA DEALS WITH THE ONES THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE LADY'S CREATING THE PROBLEM. THAT INCLUDES THE REVOLVING DOORS WE HAVE LET DEVELOP .
Kimberlin said Texas and Missouri have three-strike laws that make prostitution a felony, but Oklahoma’s laws are comparable to the other surrounding states. He said prostitution can be a felony in Oklahoma City if it occurs within 1,000 feet of a church or school. He said Miami, Fla., is the only other city he knows that has a similar program restricting activities of known prostitutes.
DeCharme said residents have the right to live in a safe and peaceful community and that the initiative of the district attorney’s office sends a message Oklahoma is tough on prostitution and prostitutes should find someplace else to work.
“These are repeat offenders who agree not to go back to those neighborhoods,” DeCharme said. “I don’t see any violation of their rights. I believe it’s a good tool because it will bring some relevant attention to areas burdened by prostitution.”
Ravitz said the agreement is unfair to the clients his office represents. He said he has expressed his concerns to supervisors in the district attorney’s office and a few clients have expressed reservations about signing the agreement. Ultimately, though, when faced with signing the agreement or going to jail, the decision is easy, he said.
HERE AGAIN IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HAVING TO MAKE A CHOICE OF THE LESSER OF 2 EVILS ITS NO DIFFERENT THAN THEM HOLDING A GUN TO THEIR HEAD TO MAKE THEM SIGN.
“I think, unfortunately, those who get probation are trying to do anything they can to get probation,” Ravitz said. “They may go back to the same area they were arrested. They’ll run the risk of getting caught.”
He said the bottom line is that defendants should not be banned from an area because it’s known for crime.
“There are prostitutes utilizing every hotel in Oklahoma City,” Ravitz said. “Are those areas we should ban them from? I feel we need to look at where the crimes occurred.”