View Full Version : Woodlake Raquet Club bought

metro
08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Did anyone notice in yesterday's JR that Woodlake Raquet Club was bought by a local investor? Woodlake Partnership LLC aka Brent Lowell bought Woodlake Racquet Club for $1.25 million. Good news for the OKC tennis community.

Pete
08-02-2006, 03:14 PM
The buyer was someone that owns church property.

I doubt very seriously that it will ever re-open as a tennis facility.

I grew up just down the street and belonged there for years. Makes me sick to think it will be turned into mini-warehouses or something similar.

And only $1.25 million for several acres, 24 courts (several indoors) and an olympic-sized pool. Would have made a nice mini-estate.

metro
08-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Malibu, I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. Let's wait and hear their announcement. Perhaps they are an avid tennis fan.

fsusurfer
08-02-2006, 06:10 PM
double post

fsusurfer
08-02-2006, 06:10 PM
wow crazy, i didnt know it had closed. I used to be a member there when i first moved here

Pete
08-02-2006, 06:40 PM
The article said they had less than a few hundred members at the time the place closed.

I knew the former owners and they had financial trouble even during the tennis boom of the 70's and early 80's.

I would love for it to stay a tennis facility but I think that is highly unlikely.

jbrown84
08-02-2006, 09:44 PM
My church has had outdoor parties there before. It seemed nice. I didn't know it had closed either.

Pete
08-09-2006, 10:01 AM
This blurb was in the Journal Record today:

Mike Dunn sold the Woodlake Racquet Club buildings at 6901 NW 63rd St. for $1.45 million on Aug. 1 to Brent Lowell, a broker for Lowell Properties. When Woodlake Racquet Club closed in 2005, many former members joined nearby clubs including Santa Fe and The Greens.

Lowell said the 77,700-square-foot former tennis and racquetball club has already been rezoned from a commercial property to industrial-warehouse.

“We’ve changed the zoning so we can offer office and warehouse space and anticipate being able to support smaller businesses,” Lowell said. “We thought we had a big one in the aircraft industry, but by the time it took to rezone, we lost them. That’s how it goes. We kind of feel we’ll have someone (bite) who wants to be close to the airport.”