View Full Version : Teenagers Inhaling Mothballs

Keith
07-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Teenagers 'bagging' mothballs to get high

Practice of inhaling, chewing, is probably underreported, journal says

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- The 18-year-old French woman was hospitalized with scaly skin on her legs and hands, appearing unsteady and mentally sluggish, doctors said.

They found the condition puzzling, especially since the woman's twin sister displayed similar, but less severe, symptoms and there was no family history of the problem, the doctors reported in this week's New England Journal of Medicine that several days later, doctors discovered the cause: a bag of mothballs stashed in her hospital room.

The teenagers had been using the mothballs to get high, inhaling air from the bag for about 10 minutes a day because classmates had recommended it. The sicker of the young women also had been chewing half a mothball a day for two months.

The doctors described the high as "dangerous" and most likely under-reported in medical literature.

The teenager told the doctors that she continued to use the mothballs during her hospitalization "because she thought her symptoms were not related to her habit," said Lionel Feuillet at the Hospital of Timone in Marseille, France.

Mothballs, used to prevent moth larva from getting into clothing, contain paradichlorobenzene, a substance also found in air fresheners and insect repellents that can cause liver and kidney failure, and severe anemia.

The discovery comes at a time when teenagers are increasingly experimenting with legal drugs such as OxyContin, widely known as "hillbilly heroin," and Vicodin, often bought online or taken from medicine cabinets, even before trying marijuana or alcohol, health officials say.

The sicker of the women took six months to recover fully. Her twin, who had only been "bagging" for a few weeks, recovered after three months.

Feuillet told Reuters that a cleaning lady discovered the mothballs in the drawer of the patient's night table.

When the woman was asked what she was doing with the bag, "she showed us how she used to breathe directly into the mothballs bag," Feuillet said.

Although only three cases of getting high with paradichlorobenzene have been reported in medical literature, "since young people usually deny practicing self-intoxication, the incidence of this type of recreational activity is probably underestimated," Feuillet and his colleagues said in the Journal.

Midtowner
07-28-2006, 05:49 PM
And in other news, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

Luke
07-28-2006, 06:18 PM
I hadn't ever even heard of this... odd.

sweetdaisy
07-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the garbage people are willing to try to get high. She was CHEWING on mothballs...how freaking disgusting.

bandnerd
07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Excuse me while I puke. I can't stand the smell of those things, let alone inhale them on purpose to get high.

But since I work with teenagers, I know they can do some pretty dumb things.

sweetdaisy
07-28-2006, 07:18 PM
It's unfortunate, but all I can think of is "Darwin Awards".

Are teens getting dumber and/or more desperate to get high? I hadn't even heard of this stuff when I was a teen...we stuck with pot & booze...

Midtowner
07-28-2006, 08:01 PM
This has been common forever. Did y'all really lead such a sheltered existance?

Patrick
07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
This has been common forever. Did y'all really lead such a sheltered existance?

Yeah, I thought everyone did this when they were a teenager.

Midtowner
07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
No, but we probably all know someone who did do this.

mranderson
07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Actually, they were my favorite candy when I was a kid.

Nothing like Chocolate mothballs.

OklaCity_75
07-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Another fine example of why kids and teens in general need to be supervised at all times.

If you keep them busy and keep them active in a variety of activities they do not have time to think of stupid things to do to themselves, other people and other people's property.

sweetdaisy
07-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Hmmm...I guess we were such "hillbillies" that everyone grew their own pot, or something. Noone had to rely on huffing or bagging or any of these other oddities.

Of course, I am a bit older than you fellas. ;)

Luke
07-28-2006, 11:29 PM
This is the first time I've ever heard of this... wierd... The above article did say that there had been very few reports of this.

bandnerd
07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
I learned some interesting things recently about how the brain forms during adolescence, their impulsivity and inability to rationally think things out. It's like teens literally don't have that part that says, "Hey, dude, you're being really stupid."

And yes, keeping them occupied is a good start. But they're still going to screw up.

And most kids still stick with pot and booze. There are a few that do more dangerous things but these are by far the worst offenders.

And sweetdaisy, just a fun bandnerd fact: My first grade teacher was busted for growing pot in her backyard. I was in high school when this happened. It explained a lot about her.

sweetdaisy
07-29-2006, 07:55 AM
That's an awesome little factoid about your teacher, bandnerd! :D

Well, I guess the brain formation or difficulties during such would explain alot about teens. It's hard for me to relate - it's been a while since I was a teen and I don't have teens or spend any time around them - but I don't remember being desperate to alter my mindset...life was still pretty simple.

Lauri101
07-29-2006, 01:34 PM
moth balls?

The supply side must be tough - how do you get their little legs open?

badabing....:tiphat:

sweetdaisy
07-29-2006, 06:32 PM
Nice one, Lauri! I liked it! :D

Keith
07-29-2006, 08:18 PM
This is the first time I've ever heard of this... wierd... The above article did say that there had been very few reports of this.
This was the first time I had heard about it, too. Moth balls are so nasty...they remind me of my grandma's house when I visited her. She had moth balls everywhere you could imagine.

I can't imagine teenagers inhaling this stuff, or even eating it.

davido
08-19-2006, 03:35 PM
moth balls?

The supply side must be tough - how do you get their little legs open?

badabing....:tiphat:
and I didn't even know moths had Balls

rxis
08-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Teenagers would rather use gasoline before moth balls.