Pete
10-13-2020, 08:07 AM
They are very close to opening:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds101120a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds101120b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds101120c.jpg

AP
10-13-2020, 08:27 AM
I get a little bit of a Fuzzy's vibe from this.

shawnw
10-13-2020, 08:45 AM
nice that they covered the patio

Pete
10-13-2020, 08:48 AM
nice that they covered the patio

And added a fireplace.

Should bring lots of life to 23rd.

BridgeBurner
10-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Man, this is looking great! Can't wait to drink a Ted's michelada on that patio.

Pete
10-27-2020, 09:35 AM
They open November 2nd.

Hours:

Sun-Thu 7:30A - 10:00P
Fri-Sat 7:30A - 12:00A

Full menu and more: https://tedstacocantina.com/

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds102520a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds102520b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds102520c.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds102520d.jpg

Pete
11-02-2020, 08:21 AM
With the power outage, they pushed their opening to Wednesday the 4th.

SoonersFan12
11-06-2020, 11:10 PM
No reviews yet?

Wishbone
11-08-2020, 06:54 AM
I havent eaten inside a restaurant since March. The patio here will be one of the first places I try when things get back to normal.

Southsider2
11-08-2020, 06:57 PM
Ate here for the first time tonight. If you're in the crowd that hates Ted's, don't bother checking it out. The food is essentially the same as other Ted's Restaurants but I think it's a couple of dollars cheaper (don't hold me to that). I didn't get to check out the bar but the patio was great. It was heated and they played great music.

SoonersFan12
11-09-2020, 05:05 AM
Ate here for the first time tonight. If you're in the crowd that hates Ted's, don't bother checking it out. The food is essentially the same as other Ted's Restaurants but I think it's a couple of dollars cheaper (don't hold me to that). I didn't get to check out the bar but the patio was great. It was heated and they played great music.

I was expecting the food to be the same so why should it be any different than other Ted’s restaurants? I will pass on it, thank you for your review

BoulderSooner
11-09-2020, 06:23 AM
have been to this place a couple of times now ... it is great good food, amazing patio, (heated and cooled) and a really good vibe.

i give big truck about 6 months

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
11-09-2020, 09:05 AM
have been to this place a couple of times now ... it is great good food, amazing patio, (heated and cooled) and a really good vibe.

6 months until what?

onthestrip
11-09-2020, 09:08 AM

You serious? No way. First, they have a drive thru, a huge deal right now. Second, they also cater out of this location which isnt harmed by this Teds being next door. Lastly, I think you discount the many years they have built up a big loyal following.

DoctorTaco
11-09-2020, 09:43 AM

You ever see a Denny's across the street from a McDonalds?

Yes I know the analogy isn't perfect but those two restaurants have similar menu items and manage to coexist because of the different dining experiences. Not unlike how BTT and Ted's will co-exist.

I mean there are two wildly successful desert places in the Plaza that have co-existed for years now.

BoulderSooner
11-09-2020, 10:22 AM
6 months until what?

until they close their doors ..

i hope that i am wrong ...

but big truck has not been doing well of late separate from Teds going in ..

and now it will get worse for them ..

LocoAko
11-10-2020, 09:18 PM
until they close their doors ..

i hope that i am wrong ...

but big truck has not been doing well of late separate from Teds going in ..

and now it will get worse for them ..

How do you know they haven't been doing well? Half the times I've gone in the last few months I've ended up in a very long drive thru line. Hell, they just won the Gazette's "Best Of" category for tacos. Ted's wasn't even on there.

Pete
11-15-2020, 06:41 AM
I drove by last night and the place looked packed both on the patio and inside.

catcherinthewry
11-15-2020, 07:44 AM
I drove by last night and the place looked packed both on the patio and inside.

I was there and can confirm the patio was packed. At least it was until the mini-derecho blew everyone away.

Pete
11-15-2020, 07:51 AM
I was there and can confirm the patio was packed. At least it was until the mini-derecho blew everyone away.

How was the food, drinks, vibe?

catcherinthewry
11-15-2020, 08:14 AM
How was the food, drinks, vibe?

This may be my favorite patio in OKC. Drinks were good. Food was fine, but nothing to write home about. There was an oak tree that spreads out above the patio's metal roof. When the front came through last night the wind was so strong that the acorns hitting the roof sounded like hail.

Pete
11-23-2020, 07:25 AM
Went there last night as a friend was visiting from out of town and knew it was one of the few places in town with a well-heated patio. I haven't been going out much at all and of course Mayor Holt asked for a 10-day voluntary lockdown, so it wasn't very busy as you can see.

I was impressed. The interior is bright and looks great in person and that patio is fantastic. Well-heated, large fireplace, good sound system and several TV's. It's also a cool setting right on 23rd where there is lots of life but you aren't overwhelmed by the traffic noise. The Tower Theatre marquee can be easily seen.

They have a big drink and food menu. I had the Nashville chicken tacos and I really liked them. Not particularly spicy but they have 3 sauces on the table, and 2 of them actually had a good kick. They serve everything with chips, salsa and queso. The dips were really bland to me, so I put in some of the hot stuff to kick it up a bit.

I had a frozen margarita that was fine but too sweet for my tastes.

Looks like this place is already a big hit and a great addition to Uptown. Hopefully Big Truck will keep its loyal patrons and both places can thrive.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds112220a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds112220b.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/teds112220c.jpg

AMinEdmond
11-23-2020, 05:05 PM
Great review Pete! This is a great idea and love the new concept by Ted's. I'm going to make it a point to make it down there to try it out, but for breakfast. I really hope the plan is to expand and put a few of these around town, I would love to see one of these in Edmond!

SoonersFan12
11-23-2020, 05:23 PM
The only good thing is the inside, the food has been disappointing so I will not be going back

SEMIweather
11-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Great review Pete! This is a great idea and love the new concept by Ted's. I'm going to make it a point to make it down there to try it out, but for breakfast. I really hope the plan is to expand and put a few of these around town, I would love to see one of these in Edmond!

If it does well, I'm sure they'll expand. Hal Smith always seems to be very flexible with their concepts, expanding the ones that do well and shutting down the ones that don't.

Pete
11-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Yes, the plan is to have multiple locations in the metro area and you can bet Edmond will be high on the priority list.

It's very similar to Fuzzy's which really draws a crowd.

David
11-24-2020, 08:12 AM
Here's hoping the eventual Edmond site is either in the downtown strip or somewhere else within walking distance of UCO.

sooner88
11-24-2020, 08:36 AM
I'm excited to try it out, but the only let down is they don't use their homemade tortillas that they have in their full-scale restaurant. We typically pick up their tortillas when we're making fajitas and was looking forward to having a shorter drive to get them, but I also understand this is a smaller space with less room for their machine.

sooner88
11-24-2020, 09:01 AM
If it does well, I'm sure they'll expand. Hal Smith always seems to be very flexible with their concepts, expanding the ones that do well and shutting down the ones that don't.

Is Hal Smith involved in this anymore? I thought he was out awhile ago.

BoulderSooner
11-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Is Hal Smith involved in this anymore? I thought he was out awhile ago.

teds is operated separately from HSRG restaurants

but Hal smith is the operator

sooner88
11-24-2020, 12:19 PM
teds is operated separately from HSRG restaurants

but Hal smith is the operator

Gotcha, thanks. I couldn't recall how that was structured / if he was involved. If that's the case it makes much more sense that they'll start to scale this new model with him involved.

BoulderSooner
11-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Gotcha, thanks. I couldn't recall how that was structured / if he was involved. If that's the case it makes much more sense that they'll start to scale this new model with him involved.

i have been told they will expand this concept very quickly

Pete
03-17-2021, 11:08 AM
Ted's Cantina in Uptown has been closed since Feb due to a burst pipe on a floor above them.

The Oklahoman has a video with the operator saying the water actually damaged the foundation, and they are still 2-4 weeks away from reopening.

https://www.oklahoman.com/videos/news/2021/03/17/teds-tacos-prepares-reopen-after-winter-weather-hurdles/4674980001/

HOT ROD
03-18-2021, 04:02 PM
uggh, I saw "pipe burst" and it brought back HORRBLE memories from Nov 2020. ...

Libbymin
03-18-2021, 04:32 PM
Ted's Cantina in Uptown has been closed since Feb due to a burst pipe on a floor above them.

The Oklahoman has a video with the operator saying the water actually damaged the foundation, and they are still 2-4 weeks away from reopening.

https://www.oklahoman.com/videos/news/2021/03/17/teds-tacos-prepares-reopen-after-winter-weather-hurdles/4674980001/

Yikes, what a nightmare.

rizzo
03-23-2021, 06:56 PM
Visited Ted's last night 150th & Penn. We've been there 2x in the past yr. After last night I think it's off the list of frequented places for us once everything opens up. Both visits in the past yr at this location were not the Ted's we are accustomed to. Servers were not on point at all. We had to wait for tortillas for the fajitas and 2 plates rice and beans were cold. The plates obviously did not go thru the warmer they were not scorching hot as usual. Anyone else notice this at any location?

corwin1968
03-23-2021, 09:00 PM
Visited Ted's last night 150th & Penn. We've been there 2x in the past yr. After last night I think it's off the list of frequented places for us once everything opens up. Both visits in the past yr at this location were not the Ted's we are accustomed to. Servers were not on point at all. We had to wait for tortillas for the fajitas and 2 plates rice and beans were cold. The plates obviously did not go thru the warmer they were not scorching hot as usual. Anyone else notice this at any location?

Every experience we've had at the NW 150th & Penn location has been bad.

I even left a very negative review on Yelp and the manager responded with the usual "that should never happen......". That was several years ago and apparently nothing has changed.

I will say that even our last three trips to the Danforth location were not up to Ted's usual standards. The service wasn't any better than any other restaurant, which is a HUGE change for that place, and the food hasn't been as good as usual. These three trips probably span over a year's time, so it's not something that just changed recently.

Bunty
03-24-2021, 02:29 AM
i have been told they will expand this concept very quickly

Lots of Stillwater people love Ted's and hope one will be open in Stillwater. But it will have the very popular Mexico Joe's to try to compete with, along with two popular Mexican run restaurants plus several smaller Mexicans. El Vaquero has been closed and for sale for over a year and needs to reopen. Hint to Ted.

AMinEdmond
03-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Every experience we've had at the NW 150th & Penn location has been bad.

I even left a very negative review on Yelp and the manager responded with the usual "that should never happen......". That was several years ago and apparently nothing has changed.

I will say that even our last three trips to the Danforth location were not up to Ted's usual standards. The service wasn't any better than any other restaurant, which is a HUGE change for that place, and the food hasn't been as good as usual. These three trips probably span over a year's time, so it's not something that just changed recently. If you're in the Edmond area there are tons of options for really good Mexican food that put Ted's to shame. After they sold out a few years ago we could tell immediately that their food quality and service were going to go downhill.... Some of the places we frequent are Hidalgo's (2nd & Santa Fe) Cantarito's (Danforth & Santa Fe), Leonardo's (178th/2nd ST & Penn), 3 Tequillas (2nd & Broadway)

corwin1968
03-24-2021, 11:46 AM
If you're in the Edmond area there are tons of options for really good Mexican food that put Ted's to shame. After they sold out a few years ago we could tell immediately that their food quality and service were going to go downhill.... Some of the places we frequent are Hidalgo's (2nd & Santa Fe) Cantarito's (Danforth & Santa Fe), Leonardo's (178th/2nd ST & Penn), 3 Tequillas (2nd & Broadway)

3 Tequilas is definately on our "to try" list. We've tried all of the others and weren't impressed, unfortunately. Alfredos and Arcos are our go-to spots for Mexican. We wish there was a really good taco truck in the area around NW 178th & May.

Plutonic Panda
03-24-2021, 12:57 PM
3 Tequilas is great and also has a great atmosphere. I wish Edmond would do more around this area to make it more ped friendly and active.

KTB
03-25-2021, 09:59 AM

We used to go to Ted's all the time but that location is awful. We were excited when they built it but we haven't been there in a couple of years. Our go to Mexican is now Uncle Julio's and Pablano's.

LakeEffect
03-26-2021, 09:17 AM
The restaurant industry is suffering from staffing issues citywide, so I wouldn't say it's Ted's-specific right now. Staff are extremely hard to find right now...

Jersey Boss
03-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Wages and benefits will cure staffing issues.

TheTravellers
03-26-2021, 10:07 AM
The restaurant industry is suffering from staffing issues citywide, so I wouldn't say it's Ted's-specific right now. Staff are extremely hard to find right now...

Seems odd, with many restaurants not fully open (or closed, either temporarily or permanently) and unemployment being high.

jedicurt
03-26-2021, 10:15 AM
Seems odd, with many restaurants not fully open (or closed, either temporarily or permanently) and unemployment being high.

most i knew just left the service industry for another job, and realized that while pay can be more... having a steady paycheck (even is smaller sometimes) and other benefits helps... i would be willing to say that 1/3rd of my friends in the service industry have left it in the past 6-8 months

Pete
04-29-2021, 08:40 AM
Ted's Tacos and Cantina in Uptown will finally reopen on May 1st.

David
04-29-2021, 09:30 AM
Finally, I have been looking forward to being able to eat there in person now that vaccinations are looking good.

How many months did they end up being closed?

Pete
04-29-2021, 09:32 AM
^

It closed after the big snow and deep freeze in February.

OKCretro
04-29-2021, 10:01 AM

The mayor was touting the unemployment rate in the metro. It is at 4%. Is that high for you?

TheTravellers
04-29-2021, 10:30 AM
The mayor was touting the unemployment rate in the metro. It is at 4%. Is that high for you?

I was speaking to the general unemployment rate, not OKC's, and wasn't aware at the time that OKC's was at 4%.

Bits_Of_Real_Panther
04-29-2021, 02:02 PM
Had an email saying 23rd street location is opening May 1st.

Time has come to finally put Big Truck out of business!

Midtowner
04-30-2021, 06:42 PM

Unemployment % =/= Labor force participation %.

The folks living off of the expanded unemployment money are not counting towards our unemployment numbers because they have dropped out of the labor force altogether.

SouthOfTheVillage
04-30-2021, 08:24 PM
Had an email saying 23rd street location is opening May 1st.

Time has come to finally put Big Truck out of business!

+1. BTT arguably has the better menu, but Ted’s execution + that bar are just on a different level.

Pete
05-01-2021, 06:23 AM

The folks living off of the expanded unemployment money are not counting towards our unemployment numbers because they have dropped out of the labor force altogether.

This is completely false and you need to stop repeating it.

jn1780
05-01-2021, 09:28 PM
Why people are not participating is left to the politics and Covid threads, but the participation rate still has a long way to recoverfrom their pre-covid levels. A lot of people "gave up" after the tech crash of 2000 and the housing crash of 07/08 also before this trend found a bottom in 2015. It will probably be awhile before it gets back to pre-covid levels. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/CIVPART

I would argue the cost of daycare has made it more worthwhile for someone to stay at home with the kids(either a parent or their baby boomer grandparents), if I were to speculate the trend we were seeing since 2000.

Bill Robertson
05-02-2021, 07:37 AM

This is completely false and you need to stop repeating it.

I want to learn something here. This is from the BLS.GOV:

"Who is counted as unemployed?
People are classified as unemployed if they do not have a job, have actively looked for work in the prior 4 weeks, and are currently available for work. Actively looking for work may consist of any of the following activities:

Contacting:
An employer directly or having a job interview
A public or private employment agency
Friends or relatives
A school or university employment center
Submitting resumes or filling out applications
Placing or answering job advertisements
Checking union or professional registers
Some other means of active job search"

I read this to say that if you're not pursuing employment you're not statically counted as unemployed? Am I misunderstanding?