View Full Version : Fire destroys Loveless Shoes

Keith
10-15-2004, 07:29 AM
After being in business for decades, Loveless Shoes, on SW.29th, is now just a memory. The building that was connected to their building caught fire yesterday and destroyed that building and their shoe business :( .

When I was a child I had to wear corrective shoes, and my dad always took me to see Mr. Loveless, and he was always nice to us. My dad would not buy any shoes from anyone except from Mr. Loveless.

I was at the fire scene at around 4:15 PM yesterday, and it was still burning. It was a sad sight to see. Decades and decades of providing excellent service for their customers, and now Loveless shoes are out of business.

From what I understand, the fire started quickly and spread quickly, making it difficult for firefighters to extinguish. It was finally under control by 5 PM., however, there were still hot spots and still lots of smoldering. All that is left are charred remains.

Midtowner
10-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Always a sorry thing to see a unique place like that burn. Any word on whether they will rebuild? I hope that he was insured.

Keith
10-15-2004, 09:41 AM
No, Mr. Loveless says that he will not rebuild. He said he was 79 years old and didn't have the energy to start all over. He'd been in business for 56 years...in the same building. Don't know if they had insurance, but I would assume he did.

mranderson
10-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Yes. I am sure he did have insurance. Most people who have had businesses as long as the Loveless' are much too smart not to.

I would like to see him at least rebuild the building if he owns it. Then he could lease it, or sell the name Loveless Shoes to someone and teach them his methods in order to keep the legacy alive.

By the way. Based on news reports, I guess an electrical short started the fire.

Kyle D. Loveless
02-20-2007, 07:04 AM
I am sorry if this is an old thread, but I thought I should respond. I am Walter Loveless' grandson. The fire did force Grandpa into semi retirement, however he had appointments and worked up until the day he passed away. As a matter of fact we had to call people who had appointments weeks in advance to let them know he was not going to make the appointment.

Anyway, we have moved the shoe store to its new location, SW 21st and Meridian, the actual address is 4400 SW 21st. It is near Charleston's and Panera on Meridian.

It is a family business, my brother and sister in law are up there, as well as I and my mother and father are up there.

So please if you would like to come look at our new facility please do.

Kyle Loveless

Patrick
02-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Nice to hear and thanks for the update.