View Full Version : Speed Dating

Leon
07-24-2006, 08:46 PM
Who here has ever tried speed dating? How did it go?

I'm trying it tomorrow. That won't make me an expert but I'll let you all know my experience.

Oki_Man5
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
Curious what "speed dating" might be; care to elaborate?

Thanks

Leon
07-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Sure....for example tomorrow, there will be 12 men and 12 women, ages 29 - 49. The women sit one to a table and the men move from table to table, six minutes each.

Each man and woman note whether they might be interested in seeing that person for a date.

Later, you're told/emailed of matches along with contact info.

TomGirl
07-24-2006, 09:11 PM
I'm curious how that works too. Let us know when or if you survive it. Before the event, do the women gather and talk a little or are they going to be completely stand-offish? What kind of place hold one of these events?

Your brave Leon, not sure if I could do that, but I admire you for trying. I probably would do it if my friends could get me to the door, I would be kicking and screaming! You go boy!

Leon
07-24-2006, 09:16 PM
This one's at Crabtown in Bricktown.

There is supposed to be a little socializing after.

I'll survive it. :) ....should be fun.

sweetdaisy
07-24-2006, 09:17 PM
I love speed dating...it's a blast! Used to do it quite a bit when I was still living in Michigan.

The best thing to do is think about some good questions beforehand so you can have conversation with the person at your table. Many folks are uncomfortable or nervous being there, so have some topics ready for discussion.

Leon
07-24-2006, 09:21 PM
I have a few things in mind. I think I'm ready!!! :)

sweetdaisy
07-24-2006, 09:26 PM
Ugh. I was trying to post more, but my computer is a hunk of crap and keeps f-ing up on me. I'm annoyed, as I've tried 3 times to post more.

Few words of advice: keep the conversation light (you can discuss serious stuff on a real date), be presentable (Leon, you're always presentable, but this is suggestions for all), be interested...even in those who bore the crap out of you - you never know who might be watching you from across the room.

Now let's see if my computer will hang in long enough to post this one!

sweetdaisy
07-24-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh! and good luck and HAVE FUN! (Nothing like having 12 dates in 2 hours!!!) :D

Leon
07-24-2006, 09:29 PM
You little devil-ette.

sweetdaisy
07-24-2006, 09:30 PM
You know me... ;)

Leon
07-24-2006, 09:34 PM
You crack me up sometimes.

Dave Cook
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Who is organizing this and can I ask how much is it?

Reason I ask, when I was living in Tokyo I had a Japanese female friend that organized these parties one weekend every couple of months and would pull in around $600 for one afternoon of work. Piece of cake.

I did it one time because she was short a few guys and panicking. No trouble at all finding 25 single Japanese women pushing 30 desperate for a relationship.

Personally...I thought it was okay once but not keen on doing it again. Consider there are 25 women/men there and about 3 that EVERYONE wants to hook up with later. At least that's how it always seemed to go according to my friend.

Leon
07-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Cupid.com

It was 25.00 but I was discounted as part of a group. I'll find out for you.

More later tonight....getting ready now.

Leon
07-26-2006, 12:20 AM
OK, not much tonight, it's too late.

Nine men, Nine women.

I gave two a thumbs up, two a thumbs sideways (maybe), and four, simply nothing there, thumbs down. One I initially thought was a good fit, I'd crossed paths with before. Circumstances say "H*ll no!"...a cargo ship couldn't carry all that baggage.

Anyway, I load my opinions to a web page and will get a response within five days.

Dave Cook
07-26-2006, 02:15 AM
Leon,

Good luck with that. Sounds like it went pretty well.

Question....when you do find yourself falling into a relationship....what will that mean for this board? I have a feeling the singles section will come to a grinding halt.

sweetdaisy
07-26-2006, 05:13 PM
I think you should take over the singles section, Poke! :D

Leon
07-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Leon,

Question....when you do find yourself falling into a relationship....what will that mean for this board? I have a feeling the singles section will come to a grinding halt.

I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. But by most indications I'll be here a while.

To pat myself on the back though, I'm tryin'. The more I'm out there, the more I discover how many singles, 30 years and older, have just given up...they almost never socialize.

But right now there actually is one lady on the scope in particular. We've talked several times the last few days along with a dozen or so get-to-know-ya emails. On the phone we hit it off instantly....and we have a date for tomorrow:kicking: . One finally gave me a chance.

Honestly though, although I'd like to, I haven't mentioned OKCTalks to her or anyone else...And that's because of the altered-state-going-through-a-divorce-woman-bashing posts I've written here in the past as I traversed the hell of divorce court, divorce lawyers, etc. I am ashamed of so many of them. I'll tell ya, those posts would play a bigger role in my leaving as moderator than a potential relationship ever would. As moderator I suppose I could delete those posts but that would be abusing my authority, wouldn't it? I'll wrestle with that dilemma later.

I guess I digressed from the Speed Dating thread....I'll still post more details about that later.