View Full Version : What do think about a Rainforest Café downtown?

ETL
07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Do you think a Rainforest Café would move to OKC (Bricktown)? What are your thoughts?

venture
07-21-2006, 05:29 PM
I like the idea of the theme restaurants...just so its not a cheap version with really expensive food. The nice thing about Bricktown, most everything is pretty affordable.

mranderson
07-21-2006, 06:06 PM
I would rather see Rainforest in one of the better malls. Most are IN malls, not outside venues such as Bricktown.

Luke
07-21-2006, 06:33 PM
My wife and I went to the one on the San Antonio Riverwalk and it was fun. We knew what we were getting into... expensive food, subpar taste, pay-for-the-experience. Nevertheless, I'd love to see one in Bricktown.

soonerguru
07-21-2006, 09:44 PM
expensive food, subpar taste, pay-for-the-experience

Geez, you would love to see one in Bricktown? When is this city going to strive for anything beyond chain restaurants?

Elephant Bar, Johnny Carrino's, Cheesecake Factory -- they're all the same: watered down, mass-market crapola. Not a sign of progress, IMO.

Karried
07-21-2006, 09:58 PM
I'll be at the Rainforest in Galveston next week which is outside...the kids love it. I think it is high priced not very good food but hey I guess I'm paying for the animated gorilla and singing parrots. It's a fun thing to do on vacations, we always go to the one in Vegas.

But, I don't think Bricktown has enough tourists to support one.. the locals will only go to see the 'animals' a few times before they get tired of the mediocre food and high prices, in my opinion.

Patrick
07-22-2006, 07:33 PM
I'd prefer not to have theme restaurants downtown. Talk to the locals in San Antonio and they'll tell you that the theme restaurants have ruined the original unique persona of the Riverwalk. Let's be creative and try to avoid chain restaurants on the canal. Local chains like Zios and Chelinos are fine.

ksearls
07-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Yuckkkk!!!!!!!!!!

venture
07-22-2006, 09:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with theme restaurants...they just shouldn't be the national chain ones. Keep them local and put a twist to them.

metro
07-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Unfortunately with recent comments from Hogan, Brewer and other major players in Bricktown, Bricktown is doomed to be a chain restaurant paradise and maybe big locals can survive like Chelino's, Zio's etc. Midtown, the Arts Quarter, and Automobile Alley will be our best bets for local flavor. Midtown is really booming over at 10th by Plaza Court.

zuluwarrior0760
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Areas tend to turn into theme restaurant central
when a couple of things collide:

Outrageously priced real estate

Good headcount

It would be great if we could keep out the chains
and make Bricktown unique, but there are not
many upstarts with the wallets and credit that
the big chains bring to the table...

There are exceptions, take Nonna's for instance......
they threw the kind of money at that building
that would make Cheesecake Factory blush....but
locals with that amount of desire and cash come along once in a very long while.....

It all comes down to "Joe Schmo can get a loan"...
but "Chili's" can write a check.....

As long as bricktown retains some of it's "propietary"
establishments, it will still be great in 10 years to see what this part of town morphs into....

jbrown84
07-24-2006, 09:55 PM
I know some disagree, but I can live with chains like Abuelo's, Bourbon Street, and Simply Fondue as long as we can keep out things like Chili's, Applebee's, and Red Lobster.

goddessnna
07-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Rainforest sucks on vegetarian options. Cheesecake all the way!!!!

Patrick
07-28-2006, 12:54 PM
I know some disagree, but I can live with chains like Abuelo's, Bourbon Street, and Simply Fondue as long as we can keep out things like Chili's, Applebee's, and Red Lobster.

I agree. Add El Chico, Olive Garden, etc. to the list as well.

Really, Hogan hasn't done too bad. Rio Del Fuego is local. Sonic is definitely a local chain that's expanded outward. Earls is local. Harkins Cinemas isn't found everywhere. Marble Slab is a favorite in any touristy area. Even at East Wharf, Hogan has locals Red Rock and Pearls.

The upscale chain restaurants aren't bad. For instance, I wouldn't argue a Cheesecake Factory or PF Changs. I just want us to stay away from things like Chilis and Red Lobster.

jbrown84
07-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Really, Hogan hasn't done too bad. Rio Del Fuego is local. Sonic is definitely a local chain that's expanded outward. Earls is local. Harkins Cinemas isn't found everywhere. Marble Slab is a favorite in any touristy area.

Yeah and the bowling lounge and Starbucks in the Centennial will be great additions too.