View Full Version : The new I-40 Crosstown

Patrick
10-15-2004, 12:17 AM
I can just see this now......ODOT builds the new highway and railroad bridges over the canal, and the funding doesn't come through to complete the remaining phases of the Crosstown.....so we're left for years with two highway bridges hanging in the hear, leading to absolutely nowhere. LOL! Hmmmmm. For some reason, that doesn't sound to unlike our state. I remember when they built the canal, just east of the first waterfall, the city built steps that led to absolutely nowhee. They no lead to the parking lot for the theater. I still don't understand the point of the steps though. Anyways.

--------------
"Lack of funds to delay I-40 Crosstown?

By Alex Cameron
NEWS 9

The following is a script from a NEWS 9 broadcast
A lack of federal money could throw off plans to move the I-40 Crosstown.

NEWS 9 report

In order to complete the project, about $230 million from Congress is needed.

Congress has failed over and over to pass a new transportation bill, leaving state transportation officials to wonder if the crosstown -- as well as other projects -- may run into a roadblock not too far down the road.

Within the next six months, construction of the new I-40 Crosstown will at long last move from a model on a table to actual construction.

Oklahoma Department of Transportaton officials say they have enough money to tackle the first phase of construction, which is the erection of two interstate bridges and a railroad bridge to span a proposed extension to the Bricktown Canal.

To do anything more -- to build the road itself -- will require Congress come through with at least some portion of the remaining funding that's been requested.

$95 million worth of work has already been done, including environmental studies, acquisition of right-of-way, and the clearing of land along the Crosstown's future route.

So, the bottom line is, construction will begin early next year. But whether it will then continue uninterrupted until the project is complete will depend on Congress."

RichardR369
08-10-2005, 11:27 AM
That's just another way to 'force' the realignment and screw us for eternity on our mass transportation.

This most irresponsible highway realignment should've never occured.

metro
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Richard I couldnt of said it better myself, the sad thing though, I personally talked to Mayor Cornett last week about the irony of it, and he acted like it was a good thing. That the situation is better than it was before. I hate to say it but he sure lost the vision on this one. Some say this is a federal issue and not in his control. Thats BS, its a local highway that affects the LOCAL economy more than anything. The foresight was in hindsight on this one. Thats okay its my generation that will be fixing their problems unfortunately.

soonerguru
08-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Cornett is a spineless amoeba. I'm not at all surprised he's "gotten on board" with the decision. He's a "true conservative" after all, and will never stand up to anyone with an R in front of their name.