View Full Version : "Rednecky"

Redneck Cabbie
07-19-2006, 09:57 PM
From the "HUGE NEWS! Clay Bennett & Co. buy Supersonics!" thread....

Hmmm... wasn't the down home, "rednecky" atmosphere of this city that made it so attractive to begin with?

Not to most people. Most are quite ashamed by it.

I wonder why this is. Maybe my definition of a redneck is different then some. First thing that comes to mind for me is someone who is hard working and enjoys the simple life. In what I've read about this city, it was that way of life that made it what it is today.

Having driven around OKC, and talking to the opps manager on the cab company I'll be working for, I saw nothing to dispel that image.

If there are those who envision OKC to be another Seattle, San Francisco or even Minneapolis, you are a long way away from that, and you can thank God for that.

People in OKC still seem to be friendly and helpful. Trust me, you never want to loose that. Because in the end, this town will not be judged by the number of Starbucks it has, rather than by the quality of its citizenry.

sweetdaisy
07-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Sorry, but when I think "redneck", I think of some bass-akwards hillbilly with a rebel flag and gun rack in the back window of his broke down pickup truck, dribbling chaw down his chin while trying to spit through the space where his front teeth used to be. To me, "Redneck" is not a good thing.

I understand what your definition is, but I don't think that's the same for most folks.

OklaCity_75
07-20-2006, 12:01 AM
I see nothing wrong with rednecks. I know many. I have grown to respect many of them over the years. The main reason I respect them is, if you need their help they will be the first people to show up to lend a hand.

If you ask me, I prefer sitting on the tailgate of my pickup, country music blaring on the radio, a fishing line in the water, and having a cold one with my redneck friends and relatives.

The last place I want to be is sitting in a fondue restaurant or coffee house listening to poetry and politics or worse listening to the deafening beat of hip-hop and techno at some trendy club full of fake people.

Redneck Cabbie
07-20-2006, 06:39 AM
I see nothing wrong with rednecks. I know many. I have grown to respect many of them over the years. The main reason I respect them is, if you need their help they will be the first people to show up to lend a hand.

If you ask me, I prefer sitting on the tailgate of my pickup, country music blaring on the radio, a fishing line in the water, and having a cold one with my redneck friends and relatives.

The last place I want to be is sitting in a fondue restaurant or coffee house listening to poetry and politics or worse listening to the deafening beat of hip-hop and techno at some trendy club full of fake people.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Thanks.

Midtowner
07-20-2006, 07:01 AM
I had some redneck friends in college. Great people. Call 'em up, and they're always ready to go have a beer with you at any hour on any day.

So let me get this straight, you're fake if you like fondue, sitting in a coffee house, or listening to poetry and politics?

Oh, and if you enjoy going to the club scene, you're also fake?

Ain't a damned thing wrong with having a diverse set of interests. I personally enjoy going to see the Phil, to see musicals, and would love to go to a fondue restaurant. You can just as easily find me over at some dive bar with a coors light in my hand.

Do I do these things because they make me feel 'sophisticated'? eff no. I enjoy the symphony because I grew up playing the violin. I actually don't listen to poetry readings because I'm not into that scene -- but I know some great (and real) people who are.

And not discussing politics is a sign of the times. The fact that people frown on such discussions is what allows big business here in Oklahoma to take money out of your pocket and put it into theirs via the politicians they prop up to run 'their' government.

So I guess you might say that while the redneck is a fun loving, easy-going person without a care in the world, the redneck is exactly why Oklahoma has lagged behind other states in terms of education, governmental efficiency, etc.

Of course, there are different types of rednecks out there. The type which I can least stand are the religious Bible-beater rednecks in this state who think that their particular denomination should be the rule-maker for the rest of us. I think of all the birds of that feather, they are the most harmful to our image, and to our rights.

mranderson
07-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Sorry, but when I think "redneck", I think of some bass-akwards hillbilly with a rebel flag and gun rack in the back window of his broke down pickup truck, dribbling chaw down his chin while trying to spit through the space where his front teeth used to be. To me, "Redneck" is not a good thing.

I understand what your definition is, but I don't think that's the same for most folks.

I agree. In addition to Daisy's thoughts, I add... The mobile home (trailer house in redneck language) sitting in the middle of a treeless five acres, with the overalled guy with the baseball cap (hick hat as I call most of them) in front of a thousand television cameras after the "tornadah" saying to the cameras "this just don't happen here," while in the background, that "trailer" is nothing more than twigs... Oh. That redneck is lucky to be alive because he refused to leave while the tornado was destroying his home, let alone owning a mobile home in a tornado prone area.

soonerguru
07-20-2006, 08:43 AM
I have no problems with "rednecks" per se. What I do have a problem with are people who are willfully ignorant. Many rednecks fit this description.

Some of the bad things associated with rednecks:

1. Ignorance of culture and lack of appreciation for anything worldly or cosmopolitan in nature.

2. An orientation against progress.

3. A lack of education or general lack of curiosity leading to greater learning in life.

4. Racist, nativist views.

5. General lack of acceptance of people or cultures different than their own.

6. Backwardness.

7. Hostility to change.

These are just a sampling. I've met many self-described rednecks who are wholly literate and very well informed, they just call themselves rednecks because they like to fish and hunt. I really don't consider these people rednecks. To me, "redneck" is a pejorative term. When someone identifies themselves as such, they usually aren't!

The orientation of this message board is to see our city improve and progress. People here aren't interested in the status quo. They would like to see Oklahoma City grow to include more choices for its residents, and to become more of an urban showcase. There will still be ample opportunities for rednecks to pursue their interests, but pardon some of us who do enjoy coffee houses, challenging theatre, art, music and great restaurants. We're sick of having to get on a plane to enjoy these things.

We want a real city, and real cities have those things. By the way, I'm curious how much time you've spent in Seattle or San Francisco. They are beautiful, great cities with big economies and a lot of cultural offerings -- and I bet they offer great fishing too!

Karried
07-20-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree that 'redneck' is a derogotory term.. it brings forth all sorts of negative connotations ... When I hear Redneck it brings to mind the mullet, Confederate flags, monster trucks, Budweiser and sometimes the overall wearing farmer working the fields ( hence the red neck - sunburned) ..

But on the other hand, I think that people in the South are some of the friendliest most accepting people I've met.. (unless of course, you happen to be a Liberal or gay - that's another topic ) but I don't think of them as 'rednecks' I prefer to call it Southern Charm ( I know we are in the zone of Midwest but we are close enough for me ) but I think some people here do have a laid back attitude - they do prefer the simple life and a slower pace...

The beauty of it all is that we are catching up with some of the more cosmopolitan cities - NBA, the Arts, Downtown growth etc, etc plus we have the benefit of utilizing MAPS to enhance our schools - many large cities have horrible inner school issues .

But with all of this growth, we have to be careful not to adopt the negative componets of a larger bustling city complete with traffic jams, high crime, smog, congestion and long lines everywhere you go..

Anyway, acceptance of diversity is key... it would be a very boring world if we all thougth, looked and acted the same exact way.. this is much more fun!

BDP
07-20-2006, 09:53 AM
some of the friendliest most accepting people I've met (unless of course, you happen to be a Liberal or gay - that's another topic )

That's true. They are friendly, if they perceive you to be the same as them and share their "values". And I think that gate swings both ways. I am generally inclined to think of rednecks as people with the negative qualities outlined here. Although, many rednecks don't see those qualities as negatives.

The real problem is that OKC has the image of being ONLY rednecks and that it is no place for people who do like city life, arts, different foods, nightlife, and cultural events. Some of this image is unfortunately accurate, especially when compared to other cities.

However, it is changing and beginning to offer lifestyle choices, which should be the real goal here, imo. Having choices attracts a diverse populace and, therefore, a diverse workforce. This can lead to a more diverse and stable economy and higher quality of life for everyone.

The truth is that you can tailgate, drink tall boys from the cooler, and fish with your buddies, all while blaring Toby Keith without a city environment to support it. No matter what happens to OKC, even in the unlikely event that it diversifies to the level of a Seattle or San Francisco, Oklahoma will still offer all the activities "rednecks" enjoy, just like the states of those cities do.

I am all for Oklahoma City expanding its choices to its citizens and potential citizens so as to offer a rich life for everyone, no matter what your interests or background. The problem with OKC's past is not its redneck culture per se, so much as it being limited to that culture almost exclusively. The good news is that I don't think our future is limited to that, nor will that culture be removed in anyway, and, ultimately, I think that is good for everyone.

But with all of this growth, we have to be careful not to adopt the negative components of a larger bustling city complete with traffic jams, high crime, smog, congestion and long lines everywhere you go..

Very good point. We can actually take the mistakes of the cities from last century and avoid them with ours. However, I'm afraid that it would take a huge shift away from our dependence on the car to really avoid those things. Most of those things are a direct result of zero planning resulting in a sprawling metropolis that forces people to commute in cars as opposed to walking (creating traffic, congestion, and pollution) and to frequent large mega store type retail stores based on volume selling to large areas instead of neighborhood stores servicing the immediate community (creating long lines). Non-violent crime is mainly economically driven, and hopefully a diverse and stable economy can help curtail any increase in crime...

Pete
07-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Words and terms only have meaning that others choose to apply to them.

However, it's extremely rare to hear the word 'redneck' used in anything but a very derrogatory way.

rxis
07-20-2006, 10:49 AM
Redneck doesn't mean your a "country boy". It's certainly derogatory. We crack a lot of jokes at work, racial jokes included, and this topic actually came up once. Only the coworker we labelled as a redneck thought it wasn't derogatory.

Pete
07-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I think what's happened with the term 'redneck' is similar to the n-word in the black community.

Used within the group it has completely different meaning -- often used as an acceptable joke or point of pride -- versus outsiders, where the intention is clearly negative.

In other words, to call yourself a redneck is one thing but if someone barked that term at you, you'd have to take it as derogatory.

BDP
07-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I think what's happened with the term 'redneck' is similar to the n-word in the black community.

Or any other derogatory word. I have never known a group of male friends who didn't call each other things which would totally upset them if someone they didn't know called them the same thing. Some of the meatheads would probably even fight a person who called them the same thing that their best friend calls them. Context creates meaning.

Karried
07-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Hey BDP! Who are you calling a meathead!?

LOL - just kidding.

I completely agree with you - this reminds me of a song " I'm a Redneck woman, not a high class broad ".. something like that and I'll have to admit to humming along and occasionally belting out the chorus while driving .. when the station is on country music but I don't know how I would feel if someone else called me a redneck woman! Ha, ha..

I think Redneck, Hillbillies and Trailor/White Trash might be along the same derogatory lines.. what do you think?

I hate all of those terms especially used to describe OKC on NO and Seattle sports boards.. aaarrrggggg! It makes me so mad.. probably no one has even visited, but of course, you have your people, as mentioned previously, thinking nothing of spouting off ignorant statements to every media outlet known to man..

Has anyone seen RV? It is a cheesy movie but funny and it illustrates the point that not all country folks should be thought of as not very intelligent. It was cute.

BDP
07-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Hey BDP! Who are you calling a meathead!?

You got a problem with it? ;)

I think Redneck, Hillbillies and Trailor/White Trash might be along the same derogatory lines.. what do you think?

Yeah, especially in terms of labels that people might use to describe themselves, but would never want other people to describe them as such.

I hate all of those terms especially used to describe OKC on NO and Seattle sports boards.. aaarrrggggg!

It's annoying. The unfortunate thing is that most of the OKC people just turn around and do it to them. The reality is that most people need to label things and pigeon hole people to function. I hate the slurs as well, but the truth is that there is some basis for some of what they say. The good thing is that Oklahoma City has made a decision to work against its bad image in concrete ways and I think it’s image is really changing a bit.

HOT ROD
07-20-2006, 04:40 PM
That's true. They are friendly, if they perceive you to be the same as them and share their "values". And I think that gate swings both ways. I am generally inclined to think of rednecks as people with the negative qualities outlined here. Although, many rednecks don't see those qualities as negatives.

The real problem is that OKC has the image of being ONLY rednecks and that it is no place for people who do like city life, arts, different foods, nightlife, and cultural events. Some of this image is unfortunately accurate, especially when compared to other cities.

However, it is changing and beginning to offer lifestyle choices, which should be the real goal here, imo. Having choices attracts a diverse populace and, therefore, a diverse workforce. This can lead to a more diverse and stable economy and higher quality of life for everyone.

The truth is that you can tailgate, drink tall boys from the cooler, and fish with your buddies, all while blaring Toby Keith without a city environment to support it. No matter what happens to OKC, even in the unlikely event that it diversifies to the level of a Seattle or San Francisco, Oklahoma will still offer all the activities "rednecks" enjoy, just like the states of those cities do.

I am all for Oklahoma City expanding its choices to its citizens and potential citizens so as to offer a rich life for everyone, no matter what your interests or background. The problem with OKC's past is not its redneck culture per se, so much as it being limited to that culture almost exclusively. The good news is that I don't think our future is limited to that, nor will that culture be removed in anyway, and, ultimately, I think that is good for everyone.

Very good point. We can actually take the mistakes of the cities from last century and avoid them with ours. However, I'm afraid that it would take a huge shift away from our dependence on the car to really avoid those things. Most of those things are a direct result of zero planning resulting in a sprawling metropolis that forces people to commute in cars as opposed to walking (creating traffic, congestion, and pollution) and to frequent large mega store type retail stores based on volume selling to large areas instead of neighborhood stores servicing the immediate community (creating long lines). Non-violent crime is mainly economically driven, and hopefully a diverse and stable economy can help curtail any increase in crime...

I was just going to say that. Eastern Washington is way way more redneck, racist, and separatist than Oklahoma ever will be. Im certain that Seattle people are not saying OKC is like that, as we all know about them people in E. Wa (save Spokane and a few other outposts).

but nevertheless, OKC can still do more to show it is a viable city. For one, dont stop progress. OKC now definitely HAS to step up to the plate and get retail in downtown. You are definitely major league now, and the media (initially) will be coming to town to cover games. Dont we want them to show vibrant OKC street life, downtown skyline images, and urban fabric devoid of white pickup trucks/everyone fat/lack of diversity???

OKC has a wonderful diversity already and we need to embrace it more. In fact, OKC has everything that San Fran has - just on a bit smaller scale. San Fran has Mission district (Native Americans and Hispanics), OKC has Capital Hill. San Fran has Chinatown, OKC has Asia District. San Fran has numerous gay districts, OKC has 39th Street Enclave.

So why doesn't OKC embrase its diversity moreso, that way they prosper to the point that they feel "included" and will show up when the media comes to town? ESPN already comes to OKC for the Softball events yet they HARDLY film "any" street scape in downtown OKC. You'd assume, that from the tv all OKC was is just a stadium in a forested area with a bunch of caucasian people who mildly support their venues.

Well, we can do something about it. The city has a media relations office, and they can get off their butts to get these media events to show city scapes in their broadcasts from here. Dallas does it, so does Denver - and that's why everyone in the world knows positive things about them.

But in order for it to work, we NEED a positive urban environment to begin with, and I think we have started well but still have major milestones to meet. .. Now that we WILL have a major league team, the sooner the better.

Then we WILL disspell those old myths about OKC, I guarantee that.

HOT ROD
07-20-2006, 04:56 PM
It's annoying. The unfortunate thing is that most of the OKC people just turn around and do it to them. The reality is that most people need to label things and pigeon hole people to function. I hate the slurs as well, but the truth is that there is some basis for some of what they say. The good thing is that Oklahoma City has made a decision to work against its bad image in concrete ways and I think it’s image is really changing a bit.

You're absolutely right.

OKC isnt alone, you will find cities doing this to other cities all of the time. Usually though, someone from that city will show up and defend it. This is not always the case with OKC. I can say, OKC is much more wired and connected than in the past and certainly there is much more pride int he city. I can only imagine that will intensify once people really realize what just happened (that OKC is big enough to take on a sports franchise from a rather well established, and respected market in Seattle).

That being said, we are slow to visit other city sites and stick up for the city. we just now got a nice following on SSP and SSC, we as an internet community need to show up and browse through what people are saying about us, just like TULSA always does/and always has. That may be the reason why most used to think of Tulsa when they think of Oklahoma - because Tulsa showed up and promoted themselves ONLY with regard to the state.

Well, its OKC's time. A lot has to change, and all of us on this forum should do what we can to change people's image of the city and their behaviours.

Here is an example, I was watching the news up here and they said they had a sound-off web site regarding the Sonics. I immediately went there to see if there was any OKC bashing. To my surprise, there were a lot of congrats to OKC/good riddence to the Sonics.

But, there was one person who had some incorrect info about OKC. He said, "how can OKC support major leagues, .. their metro pop is well under one million."

You KNOW I chimed in and corrected him, that OKC CSA is well over 1.3M, and that OKC has shown it can well support a major league team with the Hornets.

All of us need to look out for that. Many people just are not privy to information (at least up to date info) about OKC. By my correcting him, 1.3M urban area definitely can support a major league team, no doubt. He had no choice but to stand corrected (which usually means, either apologize or dont post anything else).

He probably didnt realize OKC had 1.3M people, in fact, usually when OKC is in the media - they dont say its metro pop, only its 532K city number. And they say, "OKC a city of half a million people, bla bla bla".

Yet, for Dallas, they say "the 5.5M DFW region" or for Seattle they say "Seattle, with 3.8M inhabitants". The latter being untrue, in fact, because Seattle city population is 560K, just like OKC.

That's why I said in an earlier post, we need the media office to publish up to date and progressive info about the city - so when those media publish stories from here, they at least get the population correct. .. And hopefully, they would use the metro convention, since everyone else does and OKC is certainly a bona fied metropolitan city.

And we can do our part too. Visit these forums regularly and stand up for OKC and the state. Gradually, that will change people's minds and opinions. Its hard to dispute the facts and facts do change peoples opinions.

Redneck Cabbie
07-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow... Did I open a can of worms.

Just like the N-word, it is what it is, just a word. I will say that I've never been offended by being called a redneck. Given the background of the N-word, I understand how that can be much more offensive.

Some of the bad things associated with rednecks:

1. Ignorance of culture and lack of appreciation for anything worldly or cosmopolitan in nature.

2. An orientation against progress.

3. A lack of education or general lack of curiosity leading to greater learning in life.

4. Racist, nativist views.

5. General lack of acceptance of people or cultures different than their own.

6. Backwardness.

7. Hostility to change.

Let's see how I score.

1. Can't deny that one.

2. I actually like progress as long as it's not done just for the sake of spending tax money.

3. While I lack a formal education, I do have a natural sense of curiosity. My education has come from driving a cab and internet research.

4. I am guilty of slinging a few ethnic jokes while with my friends. I have found them to be less funny as I've gotten older. I have no problem with immigration as long as it's done legally, and that the folks that are here make some attempt at assimilation.

This may or not be connected, but I am extremely tired of this country being the world's policeman and savior. I think it's high time that we look after our own problems. When every American has the basic necessities of food, healthcare, shelter and education, then and then only do we start looking beyond our borders.

5. If you count not caring about other cultures as they apply to my daily life, tally that one in your redneck column.

6. That one is a little vague for me. Probably makes me backwards.

7. Change can be good, as long as its just not for the sake of changing.

Here is what sticks in my craw...

The media has no problem poking fun at the redneck way of life. Movies like Dukes of Hazard and Talladega Nights comes to mind. Comedians like Chris Rock, Cedric and those on the Def comedy circuit has no problem cracking jokes about what they describe as rednecks. I may be wrong here, but I've never heard Foxworthy, Engval or Larry ever crack a joke about "people of color." I wouldn't put it past Ron White though.

My point is, what's good for one should be good for all. I laugh at myself and other rednecks all the time. There are somethings that are begging to be laughed at. Just like guys who try to run from the cops with their pants down past their butt and 35 pounds of "bling" hanging from their neck.

Deni
09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
some of you are bunching all people together. I am very Redneck proud of my heritage.. Not ignorant to others or racist as some you like to think. Ignorance is against everyone that bunches people together under the same flag. I guess that would mean that these people that are talking junk about rednecks are about as smart as their redneck counterparts???? Come on!! For those that never met a smart redneck, get out a little more and enjoy what our country is based on. Hard work and Hard Play.... I believe in my heritage, and if that bunches ME WITH THE REDNECKS.. YEEEHAW!!! I am educated, self employeed and might I say cultured.. I listen to all kinds of music and guess what I still own guns. Ummm there goes your ideal of REDNECKS...

HOT ROD
09-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Good for you, but I think there are many more on the forum who would love to shed the apparent "Redneck" image of OKC - along with the "Yeehaw!!".

OKC is more than that and it would be great to be known for more than just backwards ass thinking.

MadMonk
09-18-2006, 02:47 PM
There are also those who would rather not try to be something that we are not. I don't think anyone will ever think of Oklahoma as a hip, urban-focused city, and I'm really not sure I'd want them to.

Deni
09-18-2006, 03:09 PM
I dont see Oklahoma as being REDNECK.. Ever been to West Arkansas. OH MY HELL. That is about ass backwards as you can get. I only added YEEHAW as a point. Don't bunch me in with others. I have no box and like it that way. But being born in S E Oklahoma knows COUNTRY. There is the difference.
Come open up and see all types of people not just the ones THEY THINK THEY SEE

soonerguru
09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
I don't think anyone will ever think of Oklahoma as a hip, urban-focused city, and I'm really not sure I'd want them to.

This is the same type of nay-sayer crap I used to hear all the time in OKC. Self defeating, etc. I heard how MAPS would be a boondoggle, we'll never lure an NBA team, we'll never have a decent art film situation (no one will support it), we'll never have a decent music scene, tattoos will never be legalized, etc. etc.

Either

A. You are just flat out wrong on the point; or

B. You are somehow hoping OKC never progresses as a city.

I couldn't care less if someone who has never been to our city sees it as a mecca of hipness (although if you don't think that would help econ development here you're crazy).

What matters to me is that the city we live have a lot to offer a lot of different people, not merely the rednecks.

I'm starting to think that some people on this thread are afraid of progress. Many Oklahomans apparently share your sentiments, sadly, as well. That is the biggest barrier to us growing our economy as anything else.

MadMonk
09-18-2006, 10:44 PM
This is the same type of nay-sayer crap I used to hear all the time in OKC. Self defeating, etc. I heard how MAPS would be a boondoggle, we'll never lure an NBA team, we'll never have a decent art film situation (no one will support it), we'll never have a decent music scene, tattoos will never be legalized, etc. etc.
I didn't say any of that. What I expressed is not naysaying, it's my opinion of what I want OKC to be. I was all for MAPS and an NBA team (though I hope we can support them better after the newness wears off than we have our hockey team). I'm all for progress, but my verions of progress differs from yours. I'd rather OKC not become another Dallas. I'd rather not deal with the insane traffic and high crime. I like the size of the city and the fact that I'm not living above or below anyone in a high-rise. I like having a little space between neighbors while still enjoying easy access to most anything I could want. I'm happy here. If I want Dallas or New York or any other "urban mecca", I'd move there. Way to go with handling a little different opinion though. :rolleyes:

Either

A. You are just flat out wrong on the point; or Maybe, maybe not. But you can't predict the future either.

B. You are somehow hoping OKC never progresses as a city. Again, my version of progress doesn't include becoming another Dallas-type city. I've lived in a big city (Charlotte) and I much prefer things here than someplace like that. Hey, if you want to be Mr. Hip Urban guy, move there for a few years and see how you like it. If not, you can always come back, if so, well, good for you.

I couldn't care less if someone who has never been to our city sees it as a mecca of hipness (although if you don't think that would help econ development here you're crazy).

What matters to me is that the city we live have a lot to offer a lot of different people, not merely the rednecks.

I'm starting to think that some people on this thread are afraid of progress. Many Oklahomans apparently share your sentiments, sadly, as well. That is the biggest barrier to us growing our economy as anything else. So, if it isn't "urban" it isn't progress? Just because you don't have a large population of people living stacked on top of each other in the downtown area doesn't mean we aren't growing and progressing as a city.

HOT ROD
09-19-2006, 12:03 AM
I think your days are numbered because OKC is becoming an urban mecca already! Long gone are the days of old you like where there was stagnation and lack of progress.

While our progress may be slow compared to other major cities, OKC is a MAJOR CITY! Get used to OKC being seen moreso as a hip urban mecca.

I have evidence that shows OKC is already thought highly by many. And after getting our permanent NBA team, you can rest assured that OKC will be permanently with the big boys of the nation - where we belong!!

PUGalicious
09-19-2006, 04:15 AM
Get used to OKC being seen moreso as a hip urban mecca.
That's the first time I've ever heard someone describe Oklahoma City that way. Who, I wonder, sees OKC as a "hip urban mecca"?

Midtowner
09-19-2006, 07:30 AM
Brad -- anyone who has actually been to a "hip urban mecca" can plainly see that OKC is not yet that. We have a long way to go (I'm talking in quarter-century terms)

Easy180
09-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Count me in as a naysayer on this one...Sorry to say we are far from being hip here in OKC...It's much better, but even with our major improvements most people passing through do just that...Pass right through OKC

I also don't want OKC to explode and become a huge traffic mess like Dallas so here is to hoping our solid progress continues at the current pace

lcd1712
09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
To All,

OKC is one the largest city in the US in land area, and its population per sq.ft. is one of the smallest. So u c, there is room for all.

I personally dislike the "rednecks" that fit the stereotype, but let us build a nice hip urban city around downtown, and keep the "rednecks" in the adjacent areas where they can feel like home in their own city.

Diversity is a plus.

Moreover, if OKC growth pace can be controlled, and if it is well planned, it could become a big urban city without the urban city constraints(at least most of them).

MadMonk
09-19-2006, 04:12 PM
I think your days are numbered because OKC is becoming an urban mecca already! Long gone are the days of old you like where there was stagnation and lack of progress.
[quote]
*Sigh* You make it sound like I long for the horse and buggy days. I can tell you one thing though, I don't look forward to the congestion and headaches that you seem to pine away for. In the mean time I'll keep enjoying my city's non-urban progress.

[quote=HOT ROD]
While our progress may be slow compared to other major cities, OKC is a MAJOR CITY! Get used to OKC being seen moreso as a hip urban mecca.

I have evidence that shows OKC is already thought highly by many. And after getting our permanent NBA team, you can rest assured that OKC will be permanently with the big boys of the nation - where we belong!! I sent your quote to friends in Vancouver, Charlotte, and Dallas and they all had a good laugh. I doubt OKC will ever be considered an urban mecca of any sort. Major city? Yes. Urban mecca? Hmmm notsomuch. I maintain that not being an urban hotspot is one if OKC's charms.

soonerguru
09-19-2006, 07:30 PM
MadMonk,

If you think Dallas Freakin' Texas is the model of what a more urban environment would be, than I would have to say I AGREE WITH YOU. I would sooner be dead than living in that garish faux trainwreck of a city.

Dallas has all of the bad things you get in the worst of cities: traffic, crime, assholes, etc., with scant few of the amenities. It's always left me cold and I prefer OKC to that any day.

That being said, increased urbanity means more pedestrian options, a bit more density, and not having to drive miles and miles to get basic services. Frankly, that sucks, and cities much smaller, greener and friendlier than ours have more of it.

You've taken the typical Okie response: "If you don't like it, leave." I hear that a lot from people afraid of change, and it's crap. And it can go both ways, for example:

It sounds to me like you really don't like living in a city at all. Why don't you just tuck your tail and mosey on to Yukon or Edmond, Mr. Anti-hipster suburban dude? You will find plenty of the services you enjoy there!

Please note that my post contained sarcasm and is not intended as an insult!

Deni
09-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Ok, Who are we kidding that we think crime is not happening now ? I mean we don't have to wait. Look around ya? watch the news? Crimes happens in small towns also. SO let's progress and make OKC the best we can, by accepting change, bringing in more businesses, and things to do. Let us lead by example.

the pledge
09-19-2006, 11:57 PM
I sent your quote to friends in Vancouver, Charlotte, and Dallas and they all had a good laugh. I doubt OKC will ever be considered an urban mecca of any sort. Major city? Yes. Urban mecca? Hmmm notsomuch. I maintain that not being an urban hotspot is one if OKC's charms.

Interesting that your friends in Charlotte should laugh considering that it's not any sort of major urban center, certainly when considered on a national scale. Referencing it alongside Dallas and Vancouver gives me a good laugh.

OKC will probably never be a true "urban mecca" relative to the rest of the nation, however, there is every possibility that the city could reverse any notion that it's some sort of sprawling black hole void of culture and its own identity. OKC may be a sprawling suburban-style city, yet I don't really care--there's every possibility that if momentum keeps building (literally) downtown, that it could serve essentially as an "urban refuge" within an otherwise relatively rural landscape.

PUGalicious
09-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Interesting that your friends in Charlotte should laugh considering that it's not any sort of major urban center, certainly when considered on a national scale. Referencing it alongside Dallas and Vancouver gives me a good laugh. Charlotte is much further along than OKC toward being a major urban center. Take its professional sports resume alone: they have an NFL team, an NBA team, a WNBA team, a premier NASCAR track, a Triple-A baseball time, a minor league hockey team, minor league men's and women's soccer teams, and even a rugby team.

We're excited about temporarily hosting an NBA team. Laugh away, if you want, but it's a reality.

BG918
09-22-2006, 04:53 PM
OKC is on its way. Continue building up the downtown area and its adjacent urban districts. Improve transit in this area i.e. streetcars/LRT. This will create a dense, pedestrian and transit-friendly area around the city center, where 40,000+ work and where the city's largest companies (minus Chesapeake) have their offices. Expanding the business presence downtown and continuing to build up the medical/research industry around OUHSC will provide good jobs for the city, and many of those same people will probably live in lofts or highrise condos in and around downtown. Adding more retail/dining/entertainment options, also in downtown, will be key.

Leave the "country people" (I don't like the term redneck) where they belong, either the country or the suburbs. Houston has its share of these people that coexist with the urbans downtown, why can't the same thing happen in OKC? Oh wait it does, just on a much smaller scale.

aintaokie
09-22-2006, 06:52 PM
A lot of country people don't like to be refered to as redneck either. For those redneck like folks who live in the city, many of them are known as "Jerry Springer people". OKC, like Dallas has plenty of those to go around. As for OKC, it's heading in the right direction, even with it's diverse peoples. On a somewhat smaller scale, OKC is leaps and bounds better than the DFW rat race anyday.

mranderson
09-22-2006, 07:05 PM
If the "country" people do not want to be classified as rednecks, then I suggest they sell that mobile home death trap that depreciates in value, stop drinking their Coors and dipping their Skol, start wearing respectible clothing including taking off that hidious baseball cap, and last but not least... Get an education including getting rid of that southern accent that includes stupid expressions.

aintaokie
09-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Well said mranderson. But the "Jerry Springer" culture is alive and well here in the South. It's kind of like "tradition".

mranderson
09-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Well said mranderson. But the "Jerry Springer" culture is alive and well here in the South. It's kind of like "tradition".

"Here" in the south? Curious. Where are you? FYI (just in case): Oklahoma is in the Midwest, not the South.

bandnerd
09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
I don't know, parts of Oklahoma (like where I grew up) are quite "southern." Not like the deep south, but certainly not midwestern. They're not going to change, though...those "redneck" people who like to drink their Coors on the porch of their mobile home in their overalls. If that's what they like, who are we to bash them?

Coming from the humble beginnings that I have, seeing these things doesn't bother me as much as it does our more "cultured" friends on this board. I've known a lot of very smart, educated, well-read people who enjoy the less urban life. My family is like that...ranch-raised people, worked in the sun and played in the fields as children, but they are all intelligent, well-spoken people despite the stereotype some might have of them. Sometimes you have to look past the accent.

Karried
09-23-2006, 02:29 PM
I recommend watching RV - a cute little comedy with a nice message regarding ' rednecks'....

Also, imagine being broken down on a country road.. chances are you will get help from a 'redneck' .. city streets? Call AAA - you might get carjacked.

Coors = Redneck? In my opinion, Coors brings to mind Colorado - Rocky Mountain High - not porch sitting beer guzzling rednecks. But when I think of beer and country folk - I think Bud Light..

I don't know, what is the concensus? New question.. inquiring minds want to know.. which brand evokes images of 'redneck' more? Coors, Bud or Other?

MadMonk
09-24-2006, 01:03 AM
MadMonk,

If you think Dallas Freakin' Texas is the model of what a more urban environment would be, than I would have to say I AGREE WITH YOU. I would sooner be dead than living in that garish faux trainwreck of a city.

Dallas has all of the bad things you get in the worst of cities: traffic, crime, assholes, etc., with scant few of the amenities. It's always left me cold and I prefer OKC to that any day.
Oddly, I frequently see and hear people comparing OKC to Dallas (as if that's a model you want to emulate). It seems many here in OK want OKC to be sort of a "mini-Dallas".

That being said, increased urbanity means more pedestrian options, a bit more density, and not having to drive miles and miles to get basic services. Frankly, that sucks, and cities much smaller, greener and friendlier than ours have more of it.

You've taken the typical Okie response: "If you don't like it, leave." I hear that a lot from people afraid of change, and it's crap. And it can go both ways, for example: Funny, I've never really thought of myself as an "Okie", not having been born here, but okay. I don't really mean to imply that you should leave, but have you ever lived outside of Oklahoma or are you just fantasizing of a New York lifestyle in the southern plains? People that come here tend to stay in Oklahoma precisely because we aren't as crowded, noisy, and crime-ridden as the larger urban cities. Being diferent from those places is a good thing IMO. I'm not saying that there's no room for improvement. It seems that if someone disagrees with your version of progress, you think they are ignorant, backward hicks.

It sounds to me like you really don't like living in a city at all. Why don't you just tuck your tail and mosey on to Yukon or Edmond, Mr. Anti-hipster suburban dude? You will find plenty of the services you enjoy there!

Please note that my post contained sarcasm and is not intended as an insult!
What was that about a typical "Okie" response? Don't like it, leave? :D

My tail remains firmly untucked. I like living in the OKC area and I've no plans to leave. Having experience with a variety of environments over the years, I feel that OKC's lifestyle is an ideal mix of city conveniences and suburban breathing room (and even "country" living available as well). I'd hate living (and raising a family) downtown, but if you feel the need, then I don't have a problem with that. Just realize that just because someone disagrees with making OKC more urban, it doesn't make them anti-progress.

Interesting that your friends in Charlotte should laugh considering that it's not any sort of major urban center, certainly when considered on a national scale. Referencing it alongside Dallas and Vancouver gives me a good laugh. I'm glad you got a chuckle out of it. However, Charlotte is a well-known, major banking center (the 2nd largest in the U.S.), and is a growing center for technology, research, and defense industries. The population is only a bit larger than OKC, but it's crammed into 1/3 of the area, so the population density is much higher. It's pretty urban with a good market of "downtown" housing (but they do have a significant suburban area, outside of the city limits). The last time I was there was in 2003 and it definitly reminded me of a "southern New York" (which sucks). Consider all the things that Bran_Street mentioned as well.

Deni
09-24-2006, 04:27 AM
I am amazed at how uneducated people are. I guess "redneck" to me is so different then it is to you.Being born in S E Oklahoma with a great accent and very "country" beginnings, being a redneck is not an insult to me.I guess it's the same way people say the "N" word, with an "a" or with an "er". I still have a house in the country, but I stay in the city during the week to work along side of my nonredneck counterparts, that I do have to say don't seem to smart to me. But being a redneck I just smile and say " Here's your sign." I wonder do the really smart people even know I am insulting them? Here's to redneck doubting....

Deni
09-27-2006, 08:43 AM
I just had a redneck moment.

traxx
09-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Hey Hott, I'm from SE Oklahoma too. Where you from?

Get an education including getting rid of that southern accent that includes stupid expressions.
Now you're stereoptyping. I have a family member from SE Oklahoma who was a very successful attorney and distric judge who was involved in several big cases and sought out by those inside and outside Oklahoma to represent them and he still sounds like he's from SE Oklahoma with a drawl so slow you wonder if he'll ever finish his sentence sometimes. He's made several millions and retired to living on a yacht (I know what you're thinking - yes it's a real yacht not a Basstracker). When he was in trials his opponents thought the same as you, "Listen to this guy - he's just a stupid okie." Then he'd nail 'em to the wall because just because you have a southern dialect (Dialect not accent - now who needs the education?) doesn't mean your not the sharpest knife in the drawer. And most often he was the sharpest knife in the entire kitchen.

I also have a friend from SE Oklahoma who sounds about as hick and redneck as you can imagine but she holds her own when she goes out with her boyfriend and his friends that include his next-door neighbor Jerry Jones and his buddies. This guy is a billionaire and when he sought out my "redneck" friend, part of the reason was because he liked the way she spoke. And no, she's not a gold digger, she had no idea who this guy was when he approached her.

As far as OKC becoming an urban mecca...I don't think that's the way we should go. Just continue with the smart development that we began with MAPS. That's the key, we have to have smart development not random, big development. My point is, when you see a list of great U.S. cities to live in or most liveable cities, the top ones are always described as having big city convenience with a small town feel. When people move away from NYC or LA they want to move somewhere where they can still have all the convenience of a big city without all the drawbacks. They're wanting to get away from it all. They want to feel like they're getting back to basics, living free from all the stress, living in the "country". These cities that top these lists are often described as an undiscovered jewell. That's what OKC should strive to be. We want to be comfortable, easy, relaxing. We want to be a home not a faceless megalopolis.

Deni
09-27-2006, 10:05 AM
I was born in Atoka cause the town I was from had no hospital... lol. But look at me a redneck with a very successful men's club and tattoo studio. I have also had 2 other salons in OK that I sold after I happily divorced. I am now living in Blanchard well I have a house there, but during the week I stay in the city. I hate the commute. I guess some rednecks can succeed. Or at least I did.. I still have those redneck moments like with a certain person on here that is just way out there.

traxx
09-27-2006, 10:42 AM
My mom's from Atoka. I'm from Antlers.:spin:

Deni
09-27-2006, 10:57 AM
we are from Lane and still have family there. DO you know any Hamiltons from Atoka?

traxx
09-27-2006, 12:37 PM
No, can't say I know 'em. It's been alot of years since my mom lived in Atoka and ten years since her parents died so we really have no connection there any longer. My parents however, retired to Antlers so I drive through Lane often when I go down to see them.

Deni
09-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Awww. well I try not to have many things to do with " my dad's family " in Atoka. I am more of my mom's child..lol