View Full Version : Why do homeowners and businesses need to water their lawns every day?

OklaCity_75
07-18-2006, 11:51 PM
First, I am nowhere close to being one those save the environment type whackos.

Heck, I drive a full size pickup that drinks $50 dollars worth of fuel every 10 days or so.

Why do we waste so much water in this city? I see automated sprinkler systems running day and night. Most of these systems need to be adjusted to where the water spray is at least hitting some kind of vegetation. I see way too many of these systems spraying water directly on roads and parking lots.

The people that own these things should at least check them weekly to make sure water is going on something that needs it. It is a complete waste of water to spray it on everything but the grass.

I personally would like to see the city do water rationing year round. Your lawn will stay just as green if you water every other day or every two days.

Our city officials fight the problem water shortages every year but they do nothing about it. Here is a novel idea.... lets start encouraging everyone to wash their cars at the car wash, check for leaks on their swimming pools on a regular basis, and stop watering their blasted lawns everyday.

Grass does not need water everyday if it did pastures full of green grass would not exist.

Well I will get off my soapbox now.... I just get tired of seeing all that water go to waste especially when we are in the middle of heat wave. We all know what comes next, especially if we do not get enough rain. The whole state will be a tinderbox in September.

SoonerDave
07-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Well, I'm certainly no grass/lawn expert (as my front yard will testify), but I do believe the lawn people will tell you that several shorter intervals of watering is generally preferable to one long session of watering, then a long dry spell, then one long watering session...watering the afternoon isn't advisable in any case, or at least so I've been told, because of a) evaporation in the heat, and b) the water droplets sitting on leaves and actually magnifying the sun and intensifying/focusing the heat to the plant's detriment.

I agree, though, it's pretty nuts to see sprinklers hitting streets and parking lots. Most of the time its when the heads on those automated systems get broken and no longer point correctly...

-SoonerDave

Keith
07-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, I'm certainly no grass/lawn expert (as my front yard will testify), but I do believe the lawn people will tell you that several shorter intervals of watering is generally preferable to one long session of watering, then a long dry spell, then one long watering session...watering the afternoon isn't advisable in any case, or at least so I've been told, because of a) evaporation in the heat, and b) the water droplets sitting on leaves and actually magnifying the sun and intensifying/focusing the heat to the plant's detriment.

I agree, though, it's pretty nuts to see sprinklers hitting streets and parking lots. Most of the time its when the heads on those automated systems get broken and no longer point correctly...

-SoonerDave
You are exactly right. Watering at shorter intervals is better than saturating your yard. I have also witnessed sprinklers that are watering the streets more than the grass.....many of which are businesses.

Even when OKC had the temporary mandatory ban on water, our office was receiving many calls from citizens reporting their neighbors or businessed watering their yards.

The fact is, even though it was a mandatory ban, the city had no intentions of citing the violators. Many residents decided they were going to water their lawns no matter what anybody told them.

What's real interesting is that several years ago, we did have mandatory banning, and we had representatives out in the field writing warnings and tickets. There were so many people ignoring the ban, that we had over 7 representatives in the field, that wrote warnings and citations all day long.

What's funny is that they would issue a resident warning, and then go back an hour later and catch them watering again. Then they would write them a ticket. So many residents ignore the water bans and keep watering anyway.

beatlebutt81
07-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Just curious, who actually follows the water ban when it's in place?

keving
08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Actually, watering for short intervals is WRONG. This promotes shallow root systems and invites weeds like crabgrass.

To water your lawn effectively, you should moisten the soil to a depth of 8-12 inches. This is where the grass has it's active root zone. Check out this website (http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_h/h-504.html) for a formula to use to figure out how long you should water your lawn.

Also, you should water your lawn in the early morning for the best effeciency. Watering during the day/evening isn't effective... you can burn your grass. Also, watering in the evening/night invites diseases and fungus.