View Full Version : Save the Whales

escan
07-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Maybe not the Whales, but we can save (a) cat! :)

Funny, huh?

Okay...those of you who know me on this site know that I'm a complete animal lover.....I've adopted one cat and dog who "chose" us by showing up on our steps...that in addition to the one cat and one dog we already have. BUT, this unbelievably cute, adorable white male kitty has shown up now (seriously...word on the animal street is that I'm a sucker) and we're feeding him on our front porch. We live on a main road and I'm scared for this little guy...he's really, really great and if anyone is interested, I'd even split initial vet bills.....(vaccinations, etc)

If you'd like a lifetime companion (of the feline variety)....just PM me or reply to this thread...I'll send a pic or set up a match date!

Save the cats! (because whales are scarce in Oklahoma)

rxis
07-19-2006, 09:05 AM
i don't think whales can be saved with all the pollution in the water killing them.

escan
07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
What?!?!?! Are you serious? :confused:

bandnerd
07-19-2006, 11:10 AM
I think it was a lame attempt at humor.

I'd personally love to take the kitty...it would finish out my monochromatic scheme of cats...black, grey, and white haha. But alas, my dear husband doesn't want another cat. Not really enough room in the apartment :(

But he keeps bugging me about a dog...

Good luck finding the kitty a home! My family had (and still has) quite a few strays that became family pets and they were usually great. We had a few that were questionable (bipolar cat comes to mind) but most were great to have.

sweetdaisy
07-19-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing he's a feral cat? If so, he'll have a hard time adjusting to a home.

But, if you're really worried about him and he's more of a domesticated fellow, take him into the OKC Animal Shelter. They'll evaluate him, give him necessary surgery and vaccinations, and then put him up for adoption.

escan
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Nope...he's pretty good....really sweet. In fact, the way we found him was that I opened the door one morning and he waltzed in....like "I'm home."

I can't do the OKC Shelter - they're not no kill and they have kitties out the wazoo...so I'm afraid his prognosis wouldn't be too good.

I'll keep looking.

bandnerd
07-19-2006, 02:28 PM
You're right. Do not take the kitty to the OKC shelter. Pets and People might take him, or Free to Live outside of Edmond.

Ask people at work, someone might have a little girl who needs a cute kitten to play with! :)

escan
07-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Free to Live and Pets for People are both full. I'm checking with another adoption/rescue agency I've used before.....check for me too, please BandNerd. :)

Karried
07-19-2006, 03:01 PM
escan, how old is the kitty? A guess?

bandnerd
07-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Escan,

What you may end up doing is this: take the kitty to the OKC Animal Shelter, and if he's in good shape, a volunteer rescue group might pick him up. P&P and Free to Live do this. Other groups are Best Friends and Volunteers for Animal Welfare (VAW) You might contact those people directly.

My sister fosters greyhounds. What a great resource she has been today lol.

escan
07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Karrie-

He's kind of an adolescent....maybe 3-5 months?

mranderson
07-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Nope...he's pretty good....really sweet. In fact, the way we found him was that I opened the door one morning and he waltzed in....like "I'm home."

I can't do the OKC Shelter - they're not no kill and they have kitties out the wazoo...so I'm afraid his prognosis wouldn't be too good.

I'll keep looking.

Even the Oklahoma City animal shelter will place the best ones for adoption. Plus, they are to be no kill by 2010.

sweetdaisy
07-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for pointing out those important facts, Mr. Anderson. Alot of people think that the shelter is "putting them down" left and right, and that's not correct. If the animal is deemed "adoptable", then it stays in the shelter until it is adopted.

Regardless, would you rather the kitty be hit by a car or attacked by a wild animal?

escan
07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I would like to point out that even the "best ones" aren't given forever. I know they're not putting them down left and right, but this little guy has a sweet deal with me 'til he finds a forever home.

Still looking..... :)

sweetdaisy
07-19-2006, 09:27 PM
I wish you luck with finding him a home, escan. I know it's hard to find places sometimes, but I'm sure there's a loving home out there waiting for him.

If it becomes a hopeless situation for you though, please consider bringing him to us at the shelter. You'd be amazed at how much of a chance he'd have there. :)

escan
07-19-2006, 09:43 PM
Oh Sweet Daisy...do you work for the shelter? I didn't mean anything negative toward you or the work that you do....I just hate the thought of the little guy walking the Green Mile.

sweetdaisy
07-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Most people know very little about the shelter these days. It's on a rapid course to no-kill, and the myth about animals being euthanized in 3 days (or 7 days or whatever) is just not true.

I know animals who have been in that shelter for a while, and we do everything we can to get them adopted (outreaches, fostering, etc). The drawback is that dogs sometimes get "institutionalized" after being there for a while and become unadoptable...they don't socialize well, or get sick, etc.

My only problem with the comments that have been made is that they are made by people who apparently know very little about what the OKC animal shelter is doing and the direction it is heading. We do the very best we can to find homes for every adoptable animal that comes through our doors.

BTW, does anyone ever wonder where VAW, Best Friends, and other adoption groups get their animals from???? I'll give you one guess... ;)

Escan, I do wish you the best of luck finding him a home. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you both! :)

mranderson
07-20-2006, 08:16 AM
One way to learn about modern shelters is to watch "Animal Planet," and their programs on Animal Control Officers, such as "Animal Precinct," or "Miami Animal Police." They are very educational on how shelters of today work.

Yes. Some must be put down. Some due to attitude, and some due to severe illness. They act as the owner of the animal (actually, they are the owner) and make the same decision you probably would. Do they like doing it? No. However, it is better than a little kid getting a seemingly sweet dog, and that same dog attacking them because the kid just wanted to play. It is rare, and the fault of the former owner, however, it happens. I have yet to see one of their animals put down just because there is no room.

BTW. What does all this have to do with saving Whales? Just curious.

escan
07-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Okay...Back to Topic, please. :backtotop

Mr. Anderson...It was a cheap ploy to get people to read the post (think it's explained in the first post).

We all understand the need for animal shelters...no one is questioning that....I just wondered if anyone wanted a sweet kitty. I'm trying to find him a home, not debate the evils vs. good of shelters.