View Full Version : HUGE NEWS! Clay Bennett & Co. buy Supersonics!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

mranderson
04-12-2007, 04:43 AM
And you know about Bennet's goals because......????

He is a business person. Just like I said in the post.

PUGalicious
04-12-2007, 04:48 AM
He is a business person. Just like I said in the post.
Not all business people think the same way or have the same goals. So like Karrie asked, you know about Bennet's goals because......????

Easy180
04-12-2007, 07:28 AM
Bennett might "love" Oklahoma and Oklahoma City, however, he is a business investor. His only goal is to make money and he knows he can with a franchise in Oklahoma City. "Love" has nothing to do with it.

Mra.....You have no idea what all the factors are in his decision....Multi millionaires do not buy sports teams just to make a profit....They buy stocks, bonds and real estate solely to profit not sports teams...If they did they would all sell immediately after a Super Bowl or World Series win....You almost never see that

Lot more involved than the business aspect and everyone knows that...Aside from you I guess

Pete
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sonics arena proposal tweaked as clock ticks down in Olympia
By Jim Brunner and David Postman
Seattle Times staff reporters

Backers of a proposed $500 million Sonics arena in Renton are retooling their public-financing proposal in an effort to build support among skeptical state lawmakers.

But the maneuvering may not be enough to budge the proposal, which remains stalled as the Legislature approaches its scheduled April 22 adjournment.

In an attempt to force the issue, the Sonics' most powerful legislative ally, Senate Ways and Means Committee Chairwoman Margarita Prentice, has scheduled a possible Friday committee vote on the Sonics plan.

Sonics spokesman Jim Kneeland and Renton-area lawmakers confirmed Tuesday the arena legislation is being tweaked so that state sales taxes collected in King County would not be used to pay for arena construction. Instead, the plan would rely on hotel, restaurant and car-rental taxes in King County.

That would cut the amount of state-authorized taxes sought for the arena to about $280 million, down from the original $300 million, Kneeland said.

The sliver of sales-tax money that had been proposed for the arena would remain in the legislation and be spent on King County arts groups and possible future repairs at Safeco Field. That portion of sales taxes totaled about $15 million last year.

Legislative leaders were skeptical that such changes will be enough to kick-start serious negotiations on the proposal.

A week after Gov. Christine Gregoire asked legislative leaders to gauge the level of support in the Democratic and Republican caucuses, she has no plans to convene a summit to negotiate a Sonics financing deal.

"No one has asked her," said Holly Armstrong, a Gregoire spokeswoman.

Although Prentice requested such a meeting, Armstrong said Gregoire is waiting to hear from Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown or House Speaker Frank Chopp.

There also has been no request from the minority Republicans.

Prentice said she's frustrated that serious talks have not occurred.

"I've been bewildered by the required protocols," she said. "I don't know why this is being handled any different from any other issue."

But Brown, D-Spokane, said Senate Democrats remain deeply divided.

"The spectrum runs from 'hell yes' to 'hell no,' " she said. "I'm not sure if the new proposal changes the dynamic in the caucus."

Chopp, D-Seattle, could not be reached for comment. However, he has been a vocal critic of the Sonics proposal, and some legislative leaders said they do not believe that has changed.

"It's my understanding that the House will not be bringing it to a vote," Brown said.

Prentice said she had been told the same thing. Chopp has sent the message that the bill will not move, "no way, no how. Even if it's fixed," she said.

Renton Mayor Kathy Keolker, in a written statement, said she spoke with Chopp, Gregoire and other legislative leaders on Friday.

"It was apparent in those conversations that the proposal would receive more support from the Legislature if the state sales-tax credit was not used to finance this facility," she said.

But Kneeland said the team has received no assurances that such a move would sway Chopp.

Chris Van Dyk, organizer for the anti-stadium group Citizens for More Important Things, said the reported changes in the Sonics legislation won't change his position that public money should not be used to subsidize professional sports.

"A tax is a tax is a tax," he said.

Exact details of the changes to the Sonics proposal were not provided Tuesday.

The Sonics proposal would extend taxes, collected only in King County, that currently are paying off the debts for Safeco Field, Qwest Field and the demolished Kingdome.

In addition to the state-authorized taxes, Sonics owner Clay Bennett also is seeking an unspecified contribution from Renton.

Kneeland said Bennett has no plans to announce how much money owners would contribute before the end of the legislative session. Such details would have to be worked out later with the Metropolitan King County Council, whose approval of the financing plan would be required.

A majority of the council members have said they want a public vote on any arena plan.

Nixon7
04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
when would a public vote take place, if it did?

mranderson
04-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Mra.....You have no idea what all the factors are in his decision....Multi millionaires do not buy sports teams just to make a profit....They buy stocks, bonds and real estate solely to profit not sports teams...If they did they would all sell immediately after a Super Bowl or World Series win....You almost never see that

Lot more involved than the business aspect and everyone knows that...Aside from you I guess

I was raised by a buisness leader who influenced people that, had it not been for my dad, we would not be having this discussion, so, you, sir, are quite wrong. I have every idea what a business persons motive is.

And everyone? You mean to say every one of the seven billion people on this planet knows what business people think? Humm. You must really contact a lot of people.

PUGalicious
04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
I was raised by a buisness leader who influenced people that, had it not been for my dad, we would not be having this discussion, so, you, sir, are quite wrong.
Your extreme degree of self-importance impresses very few on this forum. You always make these grandiose statements, yet provide very little information, evidence or hard facts to back them up. Psychiatrists typically refer to that as delusions of grandeur.

I have every idea what a business persons motive is.
So every business person thinks identical to the business leader who raised you? As a business owner myself, I would say that you, sir, are very wrong.

And everyone? You mean to say every one of the seven billion people on this planet knows what business people think? Humm. You must really contact a lot of people.
You're off by nearly 500 million, Mister-I-Know-Everything. U.S. Census Bureau's World Population Clock: 6,588,497,237 (http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html) as of the time of this post.

Easy180
04-13-2007, 07:11 AM
I was raised by a buisness leader who influenced people that, had it not been for my dad, we would not be having this discussion, so, you, sir, are quite wrong. I have every idea what a business persons motive is.

I've been on here almost a year mra....We are all fully aware of your dad's prestige and far reaching influence by now....I think it's also safe to say your dad has had and will have no influence whatsoever on Bennett's decision regarding the Sonics

I'm not one to talk up myself (unlike certain others that throw it in EVERY post), but I guess my MBA puts me in no position to talk bidness since my father only owned a print shop and wasn't involved with city leaders...I guess I wasted a lot of money for nothing

Easy180
04-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Looks like the Senate panel approved the Sonics proposal this afternoon...Said they expect it to pass the Senate so we will soon see how tough the House leader really is

Pete
04-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Sonics arena proposal advances in Legislature, but hurdles remain

By Jim Brunner
Seattle Times staff reporter

OLYMPIA — A proposed $500 million Sonics arena cleared its first legislative hurdle this morning, passing the Senate Ways and Means Committee.

Sen. Margarita Prentice, D-Renton, chairwoman of the panel, pushed the bill through the committee in the hopes of keeping it moving in the final weeks of the legislative session.

The bill now goes to the Senate Rules Committee, which will decide whether to clear it for a vote on the Senate floor. It was not clear when a full Senate vote might happen.

"I believe we could get it out of here," said Prentice, who has been the arena's most vocal ally in Olympia.

But the plan faces skepticism from many lawmakers, particularly in the House, where Speaker Frank Chopp, D-Seattle, has said the state has more important priorities.

Sen. Rodney Tom, D-Medina, blasted the plan as a giveaway for wealthy professional sports players and owners and said tax money shouldn't be spent on stadiums while state schools are using 2,000 portable classrooms.

"Sports stadiums are a poor investment for the public. They are a great investment for the owners," Tom said.

The arena bill would allow King County to provide up to $300 million in tax money for the proposed Renton arena. The proposal would tap taxes on car rentals, hotels and restaurants in the county for the arena. Those taxes would raise an estimated $280 million over 25 years.

Additionally, the bill would allow a slice of the state sales tax collected in King County to be spent on future maintenance and upgrades at Safeco and Qwest fields and for county arts organizations. That portion of sales tax would amount to an estimated $227 million over 25 years.

Some of the money also could be spent on upgrades to KeyArena, where the Sonics and Storm currently play.
advertising

None of the taxes in the plan are new. They are all currently devoted to paying construction debt from Safeco and Qwest fields and for the demolished Kingdome.

The bill does not require a public vote and does not spell out how much Sonics owners will contribute. A majority of the King County Council has said they would insist on a public vote on any arena plan.

Sonics and Storm owners have said they also want the city of Renton to contribute as much as $100 million to the arena, but city officials say they can't commit to that much money.

Pete
04-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Check out the senator's comments about OKC...

I wonder what Clay Bennett and the other Sonics owners -- who leave Seattle all the time for their homes in OKC -- think about what she had to say.

Friday, April 13, 2007 · Last updated 1:53 p.m. PT
Sonics bill makes progress in Legislature
But time running out for team this year

By CHRIS McGANN
P-I REPORTER

OLYMPIA -- A tax package for the Seattle Sonics' new arena finally passed out of the gate Friday with an oral vote from the Senate Ways and Means Committee.

Related content

· Details of arena funding package

With just a week left in this year's Legislative session, proponents breathed a sign of relief that the bill, Senate Bill 5986 is finally moving. But vote openned the stage for lawmakers' first unrestrained public condemnation of the plan.

"This is so insane," said Sen. Rodney Tom, D-Medina. "I can not see how we in the Legislature can subsidize Ray Allen for $16 million a year when we cannot pay a starting wage starting wage for a teacher of $34,000…we talk about state of the art facilities but when it comes to education, we have 2,000 portables in this state. We have schools where you can't drink the water."

The Sonics' new, Oklahoma City-based ownership has said that the team's current KeyArena home is inadequate and that they may move the team out of state if they don't get a new facility.

The proposal being considered in Olympia would allow King County to raise up to $300 million for the new arena had been slightly modified in hopes of building support for the measure in the House.

The new proposal would only use local taxes for the $500 million stadium, the County could also use sales tax credits worth $227 million could be used for the arts and sports facilities such as youth ball fields or paying off KeyArena.

The proposal leaves many decisions such as putting the plan before voters, or the nature of the lease agreement to King County to decide. It essentially just authorizes the county to extend the taxes that were levied for the other pro-sports stadiums.

Ways and Means Chairwoman Margarita Prentice, D-Renton, said those who criticized the plan because it does not provide assurances that the team will not pull up stakes ten years from now are underestimating the strength of the region.

"Why would anybody leave here and go to Oklahoma City? Have you ever been to Oklahoma City? I have," Prentice said.

Prentice is now asking for a meeting with the governor and the caucus leaders from the House and the Senate in hopes of bringing the legislation to a floor vote in the Senate.

Senate leaders have expressed concerns about calling for a vote that could be viewed as damaging for some members, only to see the bill languish in the House.

Since House Speaker Frank Chopp, D-Seattle, does not support the bill, he could stop any further progress with the Legislation by holding the bill down on his side.

Easy180
04-13-2007, 04:46 PM
For those interested...I linked a form you can email to this lovely congresswoman in the Attn all who have any pride in OKC thread

I'm now just downright rooting against Seattle to lose out on the Sonics

mranderson
04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
"I've been on here almost a year mra....We are all fully aware of your dad's prestige and far reaching influence by now....I think it's also safe to say your dad has had and will have no influence whatsoever on Bennett's decision regarding the Sonics"

And you knew my dad? Hum. Interesting. How else could you try and guess what influence he had and on whom he had it.

Sir, I knew my dad better than you. Just think about that.

PUGalicious
04-13-2007, 06:38 PM
As usual, MrA, you missed the point.

Kerry
04-13-2007, 07:16 PM
I can tell you how we know what Bennett's intentions are. He clearly stated that he wanted to bring an NBA team to OKC. I don't know how it can get any clearer than that.

HOT ROD
04-15-2007, 08:34 PM
when would a public vote take place, if it did?

IF, and a very big IF, there was a public vote, it would not take place until september or so. That is becuase

IF and an even bigger IF, the bill passed the legislature, King County would mandate a public vote - which would require the articles to be agreed to and assembled into a public vote. This process takes time and surely King County would stall as much and long as the WA legislature is doing.

Surely then, the public of King County will not pass the tax and it would all end.

But this is hypothetical, lots of hurdles would need to pass before we even begin to start talking about a vote.

The Senate bill ONLY moved out of the "ways and means committee", which Margarita Prentice is Chair of. I would expect this would be the case since she IS chair and IS from Renton - the site of the would be built arena. She has the MOST vested interest in the SONICS arena - so she is doing whatever she can to try to PUSH the bill through the Senate.

What some of you might have missed, is that the bill has been voted in committee numerous times and has JUST NOW!!!! passed the Ways and Means committee. Next stop, the regulatory committee. Less than one week, for it to pass that committee and make it to the Senate floor for a vote.

DONT count on it! Margarita has NO influence on that committee and IM sure they will not get everything worked out in time for a debate and floor vote in the Senate. IF, and a big if they were to do so, I seriously doubt it would get a majority of yea on the floor caucus.

Then there is the EVEN bigger IF and even unsurmountable IF, it were to pass the HOUSE. This is impossible, because the Speaker of the House, Chopp (Seattle by the way), said the bill is dead in his house - and NO house committee has even cleared the house version in the same fashion as the Senate Ways and Means did last week. There are little if any proponents of this in the HOUSE, and the finance committee at the HOUSE, where the bill currently resides - just isnt interested in it - at all.

So, bottom line - the bill will not make it out of the Washington Legislature. Even IF and a big IF it were to pass the Senate, the house hasn't even cleared committee and wont. Therefore it will NOT make the floor of the house for a vote - and wont make it off the hill.

And you can bet your bottom line there will NOT be a special session for the SONICS. There is not any support for such, as Governer Gregoire asked each house for a poll of support (if there were support, perhaps she'd extend the session). So far, her office hasn't even been privy to the "results" of the poll and has no idea how the bills "officially fare" in the legislature other than . .... Not Interested.

No matter what "positive" the papers end up publishing next week (from Seattle), rest assured - the bill will not make it pass the legislature UNLESS they extend the session. That also would have to be voted on (I think) which I can't see legislators who are adamently opposed to the SONICS arena voting to extend the session so that they can consider it. ...

I only hope, that shortly after next Sunday, April 22, Bennett meets with the NBA board in preparation to avoid a lame duck season in Seaattle which would SURELY further bring down the NBA brand. I hope they will grant him a special exemption and allow him to move the team. $30M or so to buy out Key Arena lease would be worth it considering the profits to be made in OKC.

The Hornets were successful and most of the profit made was shared with New Orleans. In OKC, the SONICS would have the ENTIRE market, tickets to T-shirts and trinkets, resulting in CASH. Besides, Im sure the city would give Bennett a relatively inexpensive but lengthy lease agreement at the Ford Center.

And Bennett, being a proud resident of Oklahoma City, will move the team to his hometown - so Prentice has her answer to "who would want to go to Oklahoma City?"

Answer, ... the NBA SuperSonics!!!

Nixon7
04-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I only hope, that shortly after next Sunday, April 22, Bennett meets with the NBA board in preparation to avoid a lame duck season in Seaattle which would SURELY further bring down the NBA brand. I hope they will grant him a special exemption and allow him to move the team. $30M or so to buy out Key Arena lease would be worth it considering the profits to be made in OKC.

That's what I am hoping....I don't know what else could be done (over the summer) if the legislature doesn't come through this week? Private contributions? Paul Allen, Bill gates? Thanks for your insight Hot Rod!! ...but I am trying not to get too optimistic!

HOT ROD
04-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Paul Allen already owns the Portland Trailblazers of the NBA and in Seattle, he owns the Seattle Seahawks. He got a sweet deal on Qwest Field Stadium in Seattle and the NBA wont let an owner have more than one franchise - so he's out!!!

Bill Gates has no intentions of owning a team or building a stadium. He is one of the most frugal and philanthropic persons in the world (lickily for everyone) so he spends his money on those efforts. While he does often attend games, he is not interested in owning one.

There are other billionaires and millionares at Seattle East Side suburbs and Tacoma suburbs mainly - but they were not interested in the SONICS when it was locally owned, so why all of sudden would they pony up $500M+ of their 'not hard earned' cash for the SONICS who are now owned by people from Oklahoma City?

The bottom line is, the SONICS require public funding. Aside from the stadium - MASSIVE improvements are needed to Renton's infrastructure in order to accommodate 20,000+ fans 41 nights of the year (NBA alone). There is ONLY TWO freeway (I-405 and State Highway 167) through/into Renton; both are already Maxed out with 4 lanes of travel and two HOV. And this is with Renton's largest employer, Boeing, currently at a LEAN state (less than 5,000 employees at its Renton plant and only 500-1000 others in office buildings in Renton, myself included). Traffic is a nightmare in the area, already the worst in the region.

So this would have to be fixed, which would require the state to pony up dollars (in addition to the $300M+ being asked for by the SONICS for the arena). This fact is NOT published by the SONICS yet everyone who lives here is well aware of the true total cost of a Renton arena.

This is why there is little if any support for this and why it will surely fail and OKC will be the new home of the team. Everyone knows this, whether they admit it or not.

Pete
04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Over the weekend, the governor arranged a meeting for Monday (today) of the senate and house leaders to guage the level of support for this bill.

It sounds like if the house speaker is still so strongly against it and therefore cutting off any real support in that body, then the senate probably wouldn't even bring the bill up for a vote, although they may have the votes on their side.

It seems like if everyone is quite sure the bill won't get passed by the house, they may just drop the whole matter.

We should know more later today, but there's a decent possibility the whole thing may just die very soon.

And in any case, the session ends in a week and this will be the last chance to pass any type of incentives before Bennett's self-imposed deadline of early next fall.

Pete
04-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Mon April 16, 2007

Sonics arena deal could die tonight
From Staff Reports

OLYMPA, Wash. — A meeting Monday between Washington's governor, Christine Gregoire, and legislative leaders could decide the fate of a new arena for the Seattle SuperSonics — which could pave the way for the team to move to Oklahoma City.

The leaders will meet at 7 p.m. Oklahoma time Monday, trying to determine if there is enough support in the house to pass the proposal, which would give King County the authority to devote up to $300 million in local hotel, restaurant and car-rental taxes to help pay for a $500 million arena in Renton.

House speaker Frank Chopp has been a vocal opponent of the proposal, but according to reports would bring it to a floor vote if there is enough support.

According to the Seattle Post-Intellegencer, that may be tough.

"Not only are there few House Democrats who support the plan, there is a large and vocal group within the caucus that hate it,” wrote Chris McGann, in the P-I's political blog. "So it boils down to Republican support. No doubt the only way the bill could pass out of the house is with a good measure of GOP votes. I just checked – insiders on the Republican side of the aisle say that the number of people who want the bill is in the single digits ... low single digits.”

The Sonics were purchased on July 18 by a group of Oklahoma City businessmen, led by Clay Bennett. The group immediately began pushing for a new arena and reaction in Seattle was immediately negative.

"I must say I was disappointed (in the Seattle reaction),” Bennett said two days after the purchase. "We're serious business people. What we say is what we mean. I would have hoped for a little more accommodation of our true intentions.”

Then again, the owners made their backup plan clear from the beginning.

"If we get to the point where it is at an absolute standstill, we'll bring them to Oklahoma City,” Bennett said.

Oklahoma City was the two-year home of the New Orleans Hornets, who relocated following Hurricane Katrina and played their final game in the Ford Center on Friday. They plan to play all of their games next season in New Orleans.

Easy180
04-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Mon April 16, 2007

Sonics arena deal could die tonight
From Staff Reports

OLYMPA, Wash. — A meeting Monday between Washington's governor, Christine Gregoire, and legislative leaders could decide the fate of a new arena for the Seattle SuperSonics — which could pave the way for the team to move to Oklahoma City.

The leaders will meet at 7 p.m. Oklahoma time Monday, trying to determine if there is enough support in the house to pass the proposal, which would give King County the authority to devote up to $300 million in local hotel, restaurant and car-rental taxes to help pay for a $500 million arena in Renton.

House speaker Frank Chopp has been a vocal opponent of the proposal, but according to reports would bring it to a floor vote if there is enough support.

According to the Seattle Post-Intellegencer, that may be tough.

"Not only are there few House Democrats who support the plan, there is a large and vocal group within the caucus that hate it,” wrote Chris McGann, in the P-I's political blog. "So it boils down to Republican support. No doubt the only way the bill could pass out of the house is with a good measure of GOP votes. I just checked – insiders on the Republican side of the aisle say that the number of people who want the bill is in the single digits ... low single digits.”

The Sonics were purchased on July 18 by a group of Oklahoma City businessmen, led by Clay Bennett. The group immediately began pushing for a new arena and reaction in Seattle was immediately negative.

"I must say I was disappointed (in the Seattle reaction),” Bennett said two days after the purchase. "We're serious business people. What we say is what we mean. I would have hoped for a little more accommodation of our true intentions.”

Then again, the owners made their backup plan clear from the beginning.

"If we get to the point where it is at an absolute standstill, we'll bring them to Oklahoma City,” Bennett said.

Oklahoma City was the two-year home of the New Orleans Hornets, who relocated following Hurricane Katrina and played their final game in the Ford Center on Friday. They plan to play all of their games next season in New Orleans.

Is that a new quote from Bennett??.....I don't ever remember him saying he would move the team to OKC...Just that it was presumed

Pete
04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
No, that quote was from last summer when he first starting talking about a new arena deal.

I think he mentioned it again when he set the October 31, 2007 deadline.

Easy180
04-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Guess I should have known that...Why the heck are some people still throwing around Kansas City for ?

Oh well...Might know our answer within the hour :Smiley051

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 06:35 PM
No answer yet, no news coverage either. I would have thought the news would eat this one up. But as soon as I hear something, i will post.

Nixon7
04-16-2007, 06:36 PM
bring them on in '07-'08!

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
I hope today will show how uninterested we (Seattle) really are about the SONICS and will be the indication

1) for Oklahoma City to start meeting to fully shell-in the luxury amenities into the Ford Center, since the city already has the funds in place and has said they would shell-in the amenities when it is clear a permanent team is coming
2) for Oklahoma City to start plans on building a world-class practice facility near OCU
3) for Bennett to begin to develop plans to meet with the NBA board to determine whether they would allow him to move the team to OKC in 2007 or have a 'lame-duck' year in a top 15 market which would further diminish the NBA brand
4) for Bennett and the city to develop plans to negotiate the lease on Ford Center, which I'd hope would probably not have a high rent but would have a long tenure enforced by a prohibitively expensive clause should such tenure be broken
5) for Bennett to begin closed door negotiation with the city of Seattle on a Key Arena buyout

We'll see! I'll inform as soon as I know something.

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Where near OCU is there land to build a practice facility?

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
tons and I hope that is the location because it will revitalize that area and connect it moreso with the rest of the city. There's many areas near OCU where a facility could be built. Plus, it could serve as a facility for OCU's NCAA basketball venture. Such a facility would be world-class and be a major recruiting tool to visiting basketball recruits.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
UPDATE:

The meeting conveigned by WA Senator Margarita Prentice to discuss the future of pro basketball with the governer and heads of the Washington legislature has begun. Although a decision is not out yet, there are some interesting points which were just noted on a local Seattle tv station:

1) the meeting began an hour later than was originally scheduled. This could be a clue to the amount of interest or lack there-of for support of the SONICS and their Renton arena

2) the news station reported that preliminary reports indicate there is a lack of support and that may pave the way for the bill to die on the hill.

Keep in mind, these are preliminary and speculative raised by the KIRO television newscast 6:43pm PST based on what they currently know. I will keep you informed of any new updates.

Kerry
04-16-2007, 07:57 PM
For those interested, you can monitor latest developements at Seattle Sports Radio.

950 KJR - Seattle's ONLY All Sports Station (http://www.kjram.com/main.html)

The station is already calling them the Oklahoma City Sonics

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Update.

KJR radio in Seattle - just announced that the meeting has concluded and that there will be "No Action" on the SONICS new arena plan. That it lacks support so no action will take place.

Bennett, start making plans for Oklahoma City!!!

Kerry
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
It's official - arena deal is dead

Kerry
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
You beat me with the news hotrod - stupid streaming delay did me in.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
UPDATE:

SONICS ARENA DIES IN OLYMPIA

Sonics arena hopes dead in Olympia (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/311853_sonics17.html)

Kerry
04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Since the team was bought at a discount I am sure Bennette has enough money to cover the buyout.

Kerry
04-16-2007, 09:15 PM
is anyone listening to this nut job, Sen. Prentice, on the radio?

Nixon7
04-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes!! Lol

Kerry
04-16-2007, 09:18 PM
This is the greatest day in OKC history since oil was discovered.

Nixon7
04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Kerry- Did you catch that Bennett quote?

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
I am not going to consider this a win for OKC just yet. Don't get me wrong, I hope we land the team.

I see this as the final stretch of the race. I am keeping an eye on the other horses in this race. Las Vegas, St. Louis, Kansas City or some other city may pull head and blow right past in the last few seconds with a sweeter deal than OKC could ever dream about.

I am not trying to be negative, I am just thinking realistically.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
i seriously doubt that ^.

Remember, OKC haswhat NO OTHER major city has to offer - a paid for NBA arena.

The city has said they would shell-in the money for luxury amenities that were purposedly excluded from the main construction - and the city already has the funds in place.

Hopefully with todays events, the city will get into gear and upgrade the Ford Center so that there is NO question where the SONICS will call home in 2008, if not 2007.

OKLAHOMA CITY SONICS and STORM!!!

Continue the Renaissance!!! What a beautiful day!!

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
story from the Seattle times and Clay Bennett reaction:

lol

Local News | Sonics owner: "Little hope" team will stay | Seattle Times Newspaper (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003669052_websonicleg16.html)

Easy180
04-16-2007, 09:32 PM
There is no way in heck Bennett will take them anywhere else....Bob Barry just reported it could be as soon as next year as well

Great great news for OKC

Kerry
04-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Nixon7 - yes I heard the quote. It reminds me of his statement at the begining of this thread. If it looks like the Seattle Arena stalls he said he would move the team. Not only is it stalled - it is going in reverse.

Nixon7
04-16-2007, 09:35 PM
What are the odds for next year now, Hot Rod?

Kerry
04-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Seattle radio listeners are in denial.

Kerry
04-16-2007, 09:51 PM
Didn't take long for a written statement to be released
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/04/16/2003669087.pdf

A little detective work found that this statement was written at about 4Pm today. This is several hours before the meeting even took place.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I second that Kerry. They are in denial. They are looking to ANYTHING to make themselves feel better so they don't have to face the reality of the team's moving.

Its just like when you get dumped, you're heart is broken and you want to think or say anything to make yourself feel better - like that "something something b****" or whatever.

but the fact of the matter remains, the SONICS are not economically viable in Seattle or the Puget Sound and Clay Bennett will move the teams to Oklahoma City.

No Kansas City or some other city the Seattle fans "make up" to make themselves feel better. OKLAHOMA CITY.

Nixon, you asked me how likely it might be next year? Well it all depends upon when Clay will meet with the NBA board or Stern call a meeting.

I predict that Stern will not want to have a lame-duck season in Seattle, a top 15 market; which would SURELY diminish the NBA brand if it were to remain in a non-viable market such as Seattle. I don't care what this or that ranking or some other stat the Seattle fans try to pull out to somehow change the facts of what has just happened.

I'd think, Bennett would meet with the NBA board and they would discuss the situation. The NBA already made the Hornets return to NOLA full-time, which they and Shinn know will be a losing proposition. But for political purposes, they needed to not look like they were abandoning a city due to a disaster. In addition, there are several other cities whose teams are in financial trouble but none of them are a top 15 city except Seattle.

So, if I were a businessman or governer in this situation - I'd vote to allow Bennett to move the team provided he could buy out his lease in Seattle AND that Oklahoma City is economically viable. Given that OKC is viable, I would think such a request to move would be granted.

So the big question is, if they would allow an immediate move (which would mean Clay would sort-of break his promise to "explore all possible funding areas until Oct 31, 2007") or make him honor that and have another losing and lame-duck year.

I think it will come down to what is most important for the NBA, what an owner said in order to try to drum up support for a financial venture OR lessen the blow on the NBA brand and pocketbook by allowing a special relocation.

Stern has said time and time again that OKC is viable and a team will be here. Bennett has said that OKC is viable and will have a team here and that he is doing what is in the best interest for Oklahoma City!

So, put two and two plus three together - I'd say a very good chance the SONICS could relocate to Oklahoma City for the 2007 season, especially given the fast response OKC gave to the Hornets and the fact that OKC is HUNGARY for the NBA. No doubt OKC will be a market JUST LIKE SALT LAKE CITY!!! which is one of the more profitable yet small markets in the nation.

The Storm of the WNBA will probably move in 2008. Logistics at the Ford Center among other things would prohibit them to move immediately. But I think OKC can update the Ford Center in time for an October 31 home opener with all or most of the bells and whistles.

Perhaps, OKC could offer Bennett free rent until Ford Center has an agreed upon amount of luxury amenities. Then, Bennett and the city will hopefully negotiate a mutually beneficial lease agreement that will guarantee OKC will retain its major league status forever and also make the team financially viable for the league and the team's owners.

okclee
04-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I wonder if Friday night in Okc when the NBA commish David Stern was in town, if Stern and Bennett got together and possibly Stern gave Bennett the go-ahead to Okc. Especially after seeing the game and crowd Friday night.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Im sure there have been some behind the scenes discussions, and Im sure they have been in favour of Oklahoma City getting the SONICS. The question is, would Bennett try to move the team for the 2007/2008 season??

I hope he does, Im tired of OKC always having to play second fiddle to other cities. If this were a KC ownership group, this wouldn't even be a discussion as they would have announced this as the last year in Seattle already. Well, OKC isn't that far off from KC as far as population goes and surely OKC would have better support for an NBA team and OKC would be MUCH MORE profitable than KC -

so why should Bennett dance around just to make Seattle happy. MOVE THE TEAM and do so soon, that is the ONLY way to help Seattle deal with it. Dont playcate them or leave any more options. The state legislature's approval was required and the whole package was due to be in place before October 31, 2007. There is NO WAY this can happen now that the legislature has killed the measure for this session.

I'd say - given this, there's no way funding could be put in place by October 31 and Bennett should announce next week (after the official close of the legislative session and the NBA regular season) that the team is moving to Oklahoma City for those reasons, and others.

jbrown84
04-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I see this as the final stretch of the race. I am keeping an eye on the other horses in this race. Las Vegas, St. Louis, Kansas City or some other city may pull head and blow right past in the last few seconds with a sweeter deal than OKC could ever dream about.

You think after everything Bennett has said, he's going to go and put the team in Kansas City????

here's a comment from the Seattle P-I site:

Posted by Godstruth at 4/16/07 8:47 p.m.

Okie City isn't a viable option. Most the folks in that redneck town don't have the money to consistently pay NBA ticket prices. If they move there, they'll be on to Kansas City or St. Louis (or back here) in a decade or less.

has he paid ANY attention to what's happened with the Hornets?

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 10:55 PM
I just wanted to say - it is VERY important for Bennett to lay low for the next 6 days. Let the WA legislative session come and go. But in the mean time, work with your lawyers and the NBA board to come up with the figures on moving the team.

Then, next week - meet with the city of Seattle and announce the team will relocate to OKC for the 2007 season.

The reason I say this is two fold; 1) IF the WA legislature is trying to call Bennett's bluff, then Bennett needs to call theirs. In other words, WA announced no vote this year but lets talk. Bennett has said, here is the package - vote on it or we're moving.

Now that the state has said no vote will occur, IF Bennett were to immediately announce his intention to move - the state could counter with a quick vote which might end up being 'successful'. In that case, Bennett would be bound to honor and continue to pursue a losing battle (which surely would lose in King County if it went that far anyways). Why prolong the inevitable, wait until the end of the session and NBA season then announce the move.

The second reason why I say, wait on the announcement to move is, Seattle officials are confident the SONICS will remain for the 2007 season because of the lease agreement with Key Arena. They have said that any break, the city would want the SONICS to pony up any revenue the city might have otherwise seen. What they are failing to realize is - the 2006 season is almost over (this week) and could be used as a benchmark year to develop economic forecasts for 2007, 2008, and 2009. I would argue that 2006 has not been a stellar year for the city of Seattle's revenue stream - and that the SONICS could use this year to base the terms of the buy-out.

The city is confident that they could use terms when the SONICS were more successful here - to develop the buyout, but oh contrar!!!! this is not that same team or market. Im sure there is probably half the revenue generation today vs. what the SONICS contributed 10 years ago.

If Key Arena wasn't even filled this year, then the city's claims of wanting revenue for lost luxury suites, restaurants and parking nearby the key, and ticket revenue - well 2006 would be the cheapest and best year to come up with those figures. Wouldn't it.

I highly doubt Seattle will be in the position it "thinks" its in to force the SONICS to stay or pay such a high premium. Like I said, they dont realize, the SONICS of today are not the SONICS of the past when the city saw awesome revenue generated.

And, Clay could argue - he already paid a premium for the team and the NBA could allow him to move avoiding or at least diminishing the terms of the lease with Key Arena. The downside to this argument is, it sets a precident for other teams which the NBA would NOT want to do.

So, this is why I say, Clay - if you read this forum or your folks who might; please express your disappointment at the actions so far, but wait until the close of the WA legislative session before you announce your intentions to move. Let the NBA season expire, so that the 2006 revenues can be computed and used as a baseline for the three years you'd need to buy out of Key Arena. And last but not least, wait until next week so that WA cant pull some lest ditched Save the Sonics crap.

Work behind the scenes with Oklahoma City, the corporate community, and the NBA board to get things in place for a swift, complete, and immediate move.

Don't worry about the October 31 deadline you set, without the WA legislative approval this term, there is NO WAY any financials could be worked out by Oct 31 anyways - so there's no need to discuss this any further after Sunday, April 22.

Other than, the new name of the Seattle SuperSonics will be Oklahoma City SONICS, 2007+.

HOT ROD
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
You think after everything Bennett has said, he's going to go and put the team in Kansas City????

here's a comment from the Seattle P-I site:

Posted by Godstruth at 4/16/07 8:47 p.m.

Okie City isn't a viable option. Most the folks in that redneck town don't have the money to consistently pay NBA ticket prices. If they move there, they'll be on to Kansas City or St. Louis (or back here) in a decade or less.

has he paid ANY attention to what's happened with the Hornets?

Godstruth and many other Seattle area posters/fans are in denial. They want to lessen the pain of losing the Sonics by claiming anything but "the Sonics will be successful in OKC". Call it jealousy because the SONICS are not successful here, call it denial because they are losing something key to civic pride to a smaller lesser-known city. Whatever.

NOLA fans had similar sentiments against OKC even tho OKC saved the Hornets and NOLA for that matter, yet I bet KC ends up with the Hornets in 2008 and OKC lands the SONICS this year.

Pete
04-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Looks like Bennet has played this perfectly in that he's made it so Seattle has rejected the Sonics, not the other way around.

It will be very interesting to see if he now tries to bring the team to OKC for next season, as a lame duck year in Washington would be disasterous.

I think is where all the goodwill OKC and Bennet amassed with the Hornets will have great currency.

I don't mean to get greedy here but I'm starting to think that team will be in the Ford Center come next October.

BaconCheeseburgerDeluxe
04-17-2007, 12:37 AM

No, not exactly but.... The NBA is business and any business can be persuaded to do anything for the right price and/or profit.

I am just making the point of anything can happen.

mranderson
04-17-2007, 04:50 AM
Here is a possibility, and ONLY a possibility. It could be that Bennett has aready met with the NBA and been granted permission to move to the Ford Center contengent on the Renton Arena being denied and the escape clause at Key being enforced by Bennett.

Things happen all the time "under the table."

metro
04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
HOT ROD, while I appreciate your valuable insider's standpoint, I think Bennett probably has the best advisors money can buy and they aren't going to read this forum, etc. Heck he has Stern and others guiding him through the way. He knows far more than we can speculate on the issue. Just look how its playing out. Stern/Bennett probably talked about what we're just now seeing back last summer. Anyhow, I think you're right on the money, we'll see the Sonics no later than 2008 and KC (and I think San Diego has a good shot to replace the West Coast losing the Sonics) will have the Hornets in 2008 as well.

One thing not talked about but I think the NBA owes us within the next 5 years, or sooner if we have to wait a year or more for a team. An NBA All-Star game, not only would that generate some noise, but it would sell out no matter what, and land some lucrative retail downtown, such as Adidas, Nike Store, and more.

Easy180
04-17-2007, 12:03 PM
Stern is chatting right now on ESPN...Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Seattle in his answer

Geoff (Seattle, WA): David, with the arena situation in Seattle being shut down by the legislature, what do you see happening with the team in Seattle? Where would you like to see the team, Seattle or in Oklahoma City?

David Stern: (1:55 PM ET ) From a league perspective, we are hoping for a miracle that gets a vote accomplished. If not, things don't look very good.

okclee
04-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Stern is chatting right now on ESPN...Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Seattle in his answer

Geoff (Seattle, WA): David, with the arena situation in Seattle being shut down by the legislature, what do you see happening with the team in Seattle? Where would you like to see the team, Seattle or in Oklahoma City?

David Stern: (1:55 PM ET ) From a league perspective, we are hoping for a miracle that gets a vote accomplished. If not, things don't look very good.

It all depends on where you are sitting, to me things are looking very very good.

Karried
04-17-2007, 12:12 PM
I notice he side stepped the question re OK.. is there a transcript yet?