View Full Version : Flu Vaccine Shortage

Patrick
10-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Okay, what do you guys think about the flu vaccine shortage. Personally, I've never taken a flue shot, so it won't affect me. But, I think it's just flat out ridiculous that we only have one company producing a great majority of our flue vaccine supply in this country. If we had more companies producing the vaccine, one contaminated batch being thrown out wouldn't have made that big of a hit on the healthcare community. Bush's solution in the debate last night was for young and healthy people not to take the flu vaccine, leaving it for seniors and other people at risk. Kerry offered no solution.

As I've already pointed out, I have a better solution than all of them. But, as we know, part of the problem in allowing more people to enter the vaccine production field may be the high risk for litigation.

Any thoughts on this issue?
--------------
"British first notified FDA of vaccine shortage Oct. 5

By Diedtra Henderson
AP Science Writer

WASHINGTON - British authorities on Wednesday confirmed the Food and Drug Administration's contention that the agency first learned Oct. 5 that Chiron Corp. would be barred from shipping half of America's flu vaccine supply.

In a statement released by the FDA, the head of the U.K. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency said Chiron's plant was inspected from Sept. 28 to Sept. 30.

"Contrary to some reported statements, MHRA, as the responsible regulatory authority in the United Kingdom, made the decision to suspend Chiron's license after an internal meeting Oct. 4 and first informed the company and the FDA of this decision Oct. 5," said Kent Woods, MHRA's chief executive officer.

The FDA said Chiron also confirmed that it was told of the British decision Oct. 5.

Media accounts late last week suggested the FDA had been tipped off to intractable contamination problems at Chiron's Liverpool plant in mid-September.

The FDA on Monday denied the assertion it knew about impending problems affecting the bulk of the flu vaccine supply. The agency's inspectors, in Liverpool when the contamination concerns surfaced, returned.

The agency relied on weekly telephone calls with Chiron to track the problem. The agency has said repeatedly that it was stunned by an about-face that imperiled 48 million flu shots and prompted voluntary rationing.

The FDA and the British agency said they were cooperating in addressing the problems at the plant. The FDA's acting commissioner, Lester Crawford, said that was "a significant positive step."

mranderson
10-14-2004, 09:36 PM
My parents are 84 and 73 respectively and still can not get the flu shots. They can not find anywhere giving them.

Anyone know where they CAN go on the south side? Money is little object.

Patrick
10-14-2004, 11:08 PM
Well, since this is Oklahoma, we'll probably be the last state to get them, if we get any at all. I'll do some checking around, and if I hear about any, I'll let you know. Penn Square Mall did have a booth set up where they were selling them, but I'm not sure if they still have any supply left.

HoodRat
10-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Hey! I just happen to be enjoying that flu now! 4 days down, who knows how many to go. Jumps straight into your lungs and tries to rip 'em out. Don't try to ignore this one folks it won't go away by itself. Get straight to the doc! *sputter* *cough*

Patrick
10-19-2004, 11:30 PM
Has flu season started yet??? I didn't think it started for another few months.

HoodRat
10-20-2004, 07:25 AM
1 Oct to 1 Feb, according to my medical professional, is the official season.

Midtowner
10-20-2004, 08:34 AM
I find it almost humorous that the US relies on other countries for something as essential as flu vaccine.

It's not something you'd even notice until something goes wrong.

Patrick
10-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Not to change subjects, but I don't think it's really any different from relying on other countries for oil, clothing, etc. Those are essential as well. If China all of a sudden stopped sending electronics over here, I think we'd see a huge problem.

Midtowner
11-03-2004, 04:49 PM
Everyone, the current "crisis" is largely imaginary. Yes, it is true that there is a shortage of flue injections. However, flue MIST innoculations are in great supply. Received mine the other day. They're a bit more expensive at $35.00. I'm pretty sure that they're still available at the Broadway Clinic which is somewhere on broadway between 13th and 23rd street.

Patrick
11-07-2004, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the update Midtowner. And yes, you are right, Flu Mist Innoculations, supposedly work just like injections, although tthere are a few doctors out there that would still beg to differ.

Midtowner
11-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Know any good studies on them? Since flu shots are obviously not something people our age should even consider, it seems that these things are our only options. My girlfriend is a teacher, so exposure to the bug is practically guaranteed. $35.00 seems to be a bargain not to have to deal with the flu.

But I'm sure since they've been out a couple years that someone's done some decent research on them.

Midtowner
11-08-2004, 08:08 AM
Note: For questions regarding who can receive LAIV during the 2004-05 flu season, see Questions and Answers: 2004-05 season.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
What is the nasal-spray flu vaccine (or LAIV)?
The nasal-spray flu vaccine (sometimes called LAIV for Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine) is a new flu vaccine that was licensed in 2003. It is different from the other licensed influenza vaccine (also called the "flu shot") because it contains weakened live influenza viruses instead of killed viruses and is administered by nasal spray instead of injection.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
How does the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) work?
The nasal-spray flu vaccine contains three different live (but weakened) influenza viruses. When the viruses are sprayed into the nose, they stimulate the body's immune system to develop protective antibodies that will prevent infection by naturally occurring influenza viruses.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
The live viruses in the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) are attenuated, cold-adapted, and temperature sensitive. What does this mean?
Attenuated means the viruses are weakened and will not cause severe symptoms often associated with influenza illness. Cold-adapted and temperature sensitive mean the viruses can grow in the nose and throat, but not in the lower respiratory tract where the temperature is higher.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
How effective is the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV)?
In one large study among children aged 15-85 months, the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) reduced the chance of influenza illness by 92% compared with placebo. In a study among adults, the participants were not specifically tested for influenza. However, the study found 19% fewer severe febrile respiratory tract illnesses, 24% fewer respiratory tract illnesses with fever, 23-27% fewer days of illness, 13-28% fewer lost work days, 15-41% fewer health care provider visits, and 43-47% less use of antibiotics compared with placebo.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Who can be vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV)?
LAIV is approved for use in healthy people between the ages of 5 and 49 years.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Who should not be vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV)?

* People less than 5 years of age
* People 50 years of age and over
* People with a medical condition that places them at high risk for complications from influenza, including those with chronic heart or lung disease, such as asthma or reactive airways disease; people with medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure; or people with illnesses that weaken the immune system, or who take medications that can weaken the immune system.
* Children or adolescents receiving aspirin
* People with a history of Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare disorder of the nervous system
* Pregnant women
* People with a history of allergy to any of the components of LAIV or to eggs

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Should the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) be given to patients with chronic diseases other than those specifically listed above?
No. The nasal-spray flu vaccine is approved for use only in healthy people between the ages of 5 and 49 years.

NEW! Oct 29, 2004
Are there any contraindications to giving breastfeeding mothers LAIV (sold commercially as FluMist)?
Breastfeeding is not a contraindication for FluMist. See www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5306a1.htm for a list of contraindications for FluMist.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Can the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) be given to patients when they are ill?
The nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) can be given to people with minor illnesses (e.g., diarrhea or mild upper respiratory tract infection with or without fever). However, if nasal congestion is present that might limit delivery of the vaccine to the nasal lining, then delaying of vaccination until the nasal congestion is reduced should be considered.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Can people receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) pass the vaccine viruses to others?
In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely. The current estimated risk of getting infected with vaccine virus after close contact with a person vaccinated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine is low (0.6%-2.4%). Because the viruses are attenuated and cold-adapted, infection is unlikely to result in influenza illness symptoms since the vaccine viruses have not been shown to mutate into typical or naturally occurring influenza viruses.

Updated Oct 7, 2004
Can contacts of people with weakened immune systems get the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV)?
People who are in contact with others with severely weakened immune systems when they are being cared for in a protective environment (for example, people with hematopoietic stem cell transplants), should not get LAIV. People who have contact with others with lesser degrees of immunosuppression (for example, people with diabetes, people with asthma taking corticosteroids, or people infected with HIV) can get LAIV.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
What side effects are associated with the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV)?
In children, side effects can include runny nose, headache, vomiting, muscle aches, and fever. In adults, side effects can include runny nose, headache, sore throat, and cough. Fever is not a common side effect in adults receiving the nasal-spray flu vaccine.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
When should the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) be given?
The optimal time to receive influenza vaccine is usually in October or November. Children between the ages of 5 and 8 years who have never received influenza vaccine should receive the nasal-spray flu vaccine for the first time in October or earlier because they need a second dose 6 to 10 weeks after the first dose.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
How often should the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) be given?
LAIV should be given each year before the influenza season.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Can people who received inactivated influenza vaccine (the flu shot) last year get the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) this year?
Yes, people who got inactivated influenza vaccine (the flu shot) last year can get the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) this year.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Can the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) be given at the same time as other vaccines?
An inactivated vaccine may be given either at the same time or at any time before or after the nasal-spray flu vaccine. A live vaccine may be given together with the nasal-spray flu vaccine. If the two live vaccines are not given at the same visit, they should be given more than 4 weeks apart.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Can the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) be used together with influenza antiviral medications?
If a person is taking an influenza antiviral drug (including Symmetrel [amantadine] for Parkinson's disease), then the nasal-spray flu vaccine should not be given until 48 hours after the last dose of the influenza antiviral medication was given. If a person has received the nasal-spray flu vaccine, an influenza antiviral medication should not be given until 2 weeks after the flu mist was administered.

Updated Dec 15, 2003
If a child under the age of 9 years is getting influenza vaccine for the first time and requires 2 doses, does the same type of vaccine have to be used for both doses?
No, the first and second doses do not have to match; live or inactivated vaccine can be used for either dose. If inactivated influenza vaccine (the flu shot) is used first, then the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) should be given at least 4 weeks later. If the nasal-spray flu vaccine is used first, the second vaccine should be given 6 to 10 weeks later.

Updated Nov 4, 2004
How is the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) stored?
The nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) must be stored frozen at -15ºC or colder. It may not be stored in a frost-free freezer (because temperature cycling in these freezers may reach more than -15ºC) unless a storage box provided by the manufacturer is used. After thawing, the vaccine may be stored for up to 60 hours in a refrigerator at 2-8ºC, and it should not be refrozen. Vaccine thawed for more than 60 hours should be discarded.

Updated Nov 2, 2004
What personal protective equipment is recommended for health-care workers who are giving LAIV?
Personal protective equipment (gloves and masks) are not required for health-care workers administering LAIV.

Updated Dec 10, 2003
Does the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) contain thimerosal?
No, the nasal-spray flu vaccine (LAIV) does not contain thimerosal or any other preservative.

SoundMind
11-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Since flu shots are obviously not something people our age should even consider, it seems that these things are our only options.

I'm getting a flu shot at the County Health Department tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, first come first served.

Midtowner
11-09-2004, 08:24 AM
I'm getting a flu shot at the County Health Department tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, first come first served.

If you work in the HSC, I can understand it.

If you're in a semi-desk job like me and are between 5-49 years old and in good health, I think flu-mist is the answer. I'd sure hate to think that me, a heatlhy 25 year old would be getting a flu shot when a senior citizen, health care worker, etc. might be denied one.

I'd also like to know how much of a flu shot shortage there really is. It seems to be very overhyped.

Patrick
11-09-2004, 09:57 AM
I'd also like to know how much of a flu shot shortage there really is. It seems to be very overhyped.

I agree with that statement. It seems like if the County Healt Dept. is giving out free shots on a first come first serve basis, there isn't that big of a shortage.

If I were in school right now and treating patients, I'd probably get one, but since I've taken time off away from school, I probably won't get one this year.

Midtowner
11-09-2004, 10:03 AM
hijack

Patrick, your avatar is disturbing me. Is that turkey eating itself?

/hijack

Patrick
11-09-2004, 10:16 AM
lol! I didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but it sure looks like it! Would you call him/her a cannibalistic turkey? :)

Keith
11-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Uggh!! And look where he is pulling his food from. Man, what a turkey. :eek:

Midtowner
11-09-2004, 11:12 AM
Uggh!! And look where he is pulling his food from. Man, what a turkey. :eek:

Patrick...

PETA would not approve of your avatar.

So I say keep it.

Patrick
11-09-2004, 04:58 PM
lol! I'll keep it, at least until after Thanksgiving!

Hmmm.....actually last time I went to the zoo I saw a monkey in the Great EscApe exhibit reaching into his anal canal, grabbing a chunk of feces, and eating it. It was not a pretty site. The kids got a big kick out of it though.

It must be an animal thing!

mranderson
11-09-2004, 05:05 PM
lol! I'll keep it, at least until after Thanksgiving!

Hmmm.....actually last time I went to the zoo I saw a monkey in the Great EscApe exhibit reaching into his anal canal, grabbing a chunk of feces, and eating it. It was not a pretty site. The kids got a big kick out of it though.

It must be an animal thing!

It is strange, the diets some people choose. I wonder if it worked for him or her. :whisper:

Patrick
11-09-2004, 05:15 PM
I suppose it's a great way to recycle used food! That gorilla must have been an enironmentalist.

As I said though.....it must be an animal thing, because I've had two dogs now and they've both enjoyed eating cat and other dog poop.

By the way, after reading this post, it might be a good time to go fetch a snack!

Keith
11-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Man, so much for this dark brown Snickers bar I was eating. It just doesn't taste right for some reason.

SoundMind
11-09-2004, 09:05 PM
Man, goodness gracious great ball of fire. I went today, waited in line for 3 hours, only to be told the flu shots were for children under the age of 18, adults over 65, and those with chronic diseases. They should have made this clear before I waited 3 hours in line. Unfortunately, I was turned away. Losers.

Patrick
11-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Hmmm. Maybe there is a short supply after all.