View Full Version : Heat Advisory. Check your Neighbors

Karried
07-13-2006, 06:35 PM
Excessive heat watch in effect from Friday evening through sunday evening,
The NWS in norman has issued an excessive heat watch, which is in effect from Friday evening
through Sunday evening.
Although a very weak cold front will move into northern, and perhaps central portions of
Oklahoma late tonight and tomorrow, dangerous levels of heat are still expected to affect the
watch area through the weekend.
An excessive heat watch means that a prolonged period of hot temperatures is expected. The
combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation
in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room,
stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.

Keith
07-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Excessive heat watch in effect from Friday evening through sunday evening,
The NWS in norman has issued an excessive heat watch, which is in effect from Friday evening
through Sunday evening.
Although a very weak cold front will move into northern, and perhaps central portions of
Oklahoma late tonight and tomorrow, dangerous levels of heat are still expected to affect the
watch area through the weekend.
An excessive heat watch means that a prolonged period of hot temperatures is expected. The
combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a dangerous situation
in which heat illnesses are possible. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room,
stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.
You are so right about this heat. I even got up early and started mowing my mother-in-laws lawn at 7:20 this morning. What amazed me was how humid it was already and how little of a breeze there was. After spending an hour mowing, my shirt was wet with sweat.

At around 8:45, I arrived at my next lawn, and it was even tougher. Being in the shade made it more bearable, but it was still hot. Luckily, I carried a full jug of water, a wet towel around my neck, and a spray bottle full of cold water to spray on my neck, face, and arms.

All I can say is if you wait until after 10 AM on any given day to mow, you better keep yourself very hydrated. It is so hot outside, that it is really better to stay inside all day than to get out in the heat. I monitored EMSA's frequency today, and they were being kept very busy with heat related illnesses.