View Full Version : Boone's General Store Closed

Lauri101
07-11-2006, 05:28 PM
As posted in The Oklahoman today, Boone's finally went under. The owner, a descendant of Daniel Boone himself, seems to blame everyone but herself for the closing.

A few observations I made when visiting the store:

Her business model sent a mixed message. It was billed as a "country store" but the prices were outrageous and the merchandise unlikely to have appeal for tourists.

She had some nice looking "cowboy" artwork but it was not displayed to it's best advantage.

She blames lack of parking, however, you could park across the street, go to a movie, then walk over there easily.

Her "star" attraction, the fudge, was overpriced and not generous of portion. Plus - I've tasted far better!

The writer of the article, Steve Lackmeyer, cited irregular hours open and lack of ability to window shop at night due to iron bars. He also correctly pointed out that entrepeneurs are not welcomed into Bricktown and that competition is brutal.

It's sad when a business goes down, however, it's so often the fault of an owner without a plan or business model!

BDP
07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
It's sad when a business goes down, however, it's so often the fault of an owner without a plan or business model!

Yes, unfortunetly, her efforts only reinforce the developers' strategies to keep the small businesses out. Let's be honest people aren't going to go to Bricktown just to go to Boone's, so parking is a moot point. You can't really have much sympathy for someone who isn't open when they knew thousands would be walking by. That's what these places live on: residual traffic. If they didn't know that to begin with, they were doomed to fail.

Dungeon Master
07-11-2006, 08:44 PM
That's what these places live on: residual traffic. If they didn't know that to begin with, they were doomed to fail.

You are right about that. Every business down there depends on each other's traffic draw. But, a place also has to create traffic. Myself coming up on my 3rd year being in Bricktown, I have noticed, "Attraction draws more attraction". Being right off Reno was a great spot for them to promote attraction. Now I can't say what limitations they had (or ignored) for not doing so, but for myself (being off the canal) I have to pull what ever I can out of the hat. (oh, something new coming very soon by the way)
Last fall I tried to promote a discount here to all OKCTalk folks and guess what, I got my first one last weekend (yes, last weekend). I still honored last years discount because they kept that coupon (I was so impressed). I was trying to help the owners of OKCTalk with proceeds going to their costs for running this site. Still, nothing, till now (oh Todd, I think I owe you some money here). While you use this site, please keep that in mind.
As a small business owner, I ask, how many have actually gone to Bricktown and done everything you could possibly do?
Now I know the Dungeon isn't for everybody, what about about Christmas? The ride was transformed into a Winter wonderland ride (Adventures in SantaLand). Did anybody here on OKCTalk go thru the ride then?
I'm going to bet that most did not. And I'm OK with that. But please keep in mind that any small business starting out needs every bit of support they can get (and of course if the business didn't try, then well, it's their fault). I have tried (with this forum even) and luckily I'm still in place.
Alot of people can suggest their ideas and such and not even have a clue of how to start much less run a business, but if you don't come down to support those businesses, then just keep in mind how hard and financially stressfull it is to be in that spot for the ones trying to do something about it.
I don't operate ANOTHER BAR (as there are plenty). Mine is a source of entertainment for the whole family to enjoy, just like the theatre or a ball game. And maybe that too was the difference in Boone's closure 9family entertainment).
Either way, it's up to the public (after the business ATTRACTS them).
Just my thoughts.

metro
07-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree. Sad to see them go but they just didn't operate the business effectively. Can't cry about setting your own demise.

HottRoddStrummer
07-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Hmmm.... I play in a band called Hott Rodd.. and our bass player has a bluegrass band called Fireside. Thats how I came to meet the owner, and play in front of her store. For free. Twice. While I must agree with all of the points made by Lauri, I think it is worth noting that the City wasn't ANY help in promoting her business. I have no IMMEDIATE knowledge, of course, so please excuse me if I am misinformed, but I was led to believe that her contract allowed for her to add DIRECT access down to her door level from the street level, and that the City would not be renewing its lease on the building next to the canal that it has used to house maintanance vehichles, but when it came time, the city DID renew thier lease, and would not allow the addition of stairs down to the door. Also I do have first hand knowledge of the City Works personel, AND some Security Co. (Prolly the paking lot people), using the only access to her store as a drive, and a dump, and washout for the grounds keeping trucks.... I know that they would not afford her the decency of cleaning out thier trucks, and driving through her business at times when it might be more appropriate.. The first time I thought that it may just be the current sitiation.. The second time, and the time that the overwieght, slovenly security guard was rude to me, I realized she dealt with that situation MANY times. When my family came from Florida, and Georgia last Thanksgiving, I took them all down to Boones, to maybe do some Christmas shopping... amid all the ooohs, and aaahhhs, the was alot of "wow thats alot"....and no one made a purchase.. I tried but couldnt get a cup of coffee.. LOL so while I understand that a better business plan might have included a better location, and a little more shopper friendly service, and pricing may have helpped sales, it needs to be said, that she was helpped by The City, if not directly, then indirectly, to fail in that location.

Would someone please help me down from this soapbox???

metro
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
HottRodd, you also make some viable points. The city did not help promote her business nor do anything to remedy her complaints. On the other hand, the city is not to promote private businesses, at least to an extent. The people who should have stepped up in this case were The Bricktown Association, The Greater OKC Chamber, and possibly Downtown OKC Inc. They are geared more for promoting and growing business in the core of OKC.

BDP
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
"Attraction draws more attraction".

Good points, DM. As a business owner myself, I know that nothing matters if you are not open when the people are there. They almost have to walk past your store three times while you are open before they actually come in. If everytime they go past your place, to see a movie or to a ball game, you are closed, your're screwed. Because it's the next time that they'll say "hey, let's go early to the game or stay after the movie to go by that place". But, if you're not open, then they will never make those plans.

It does sound like the city was not considerate of one of its businesses and those issues should be addressed. But, specifically to Boone's, it's hard to feel sympathy for a business whose primary demographic is tourist and it's not even open when there are tourists.

Patrick
07-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Let me remind everyone that Mathis Bros. has poor access as well...no access to I-40 and I-44. Yet, they still manage to do well.

HottRoddStrummer
07-12-2006, 04:44 PM
But the driveway is clear... the city doent wash out lawn equipment there... that was the point I was making.... I am a carpenter, I don't pretend to know anything about business. ;) She is a nice lady, sorry things went south for her. :'(
Hows that expression go???
"Only three things you need to have for a business.... LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION...." sumpin like that....

Lauri101
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Let me remind everyone that Mathis Bros. has poor access as well...no access to I-40 and I-44. Yet, they still manage to do well.

Therein lies the difference - Mathis Brothers has service out the yazoo and prices that can't be beat in the metro area. (at least for the quality)

The older I get, the more important good service becomes to me. Guess I'm turning into a geezerette!:ohno:

BDP
07-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Mathis Brothers has service out the yazoo

Except when you need it.

I agree though, people will go out of their way for cheap furniture, no matter how ugly. Specialty items and impulse goods need exposure and access.

escan
07-13-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't think Mathis Brothers has service out the yazoo....I think they have sales hungry associates who fear for their jobs and will follow you around like a lion tracking its prey.

Eek! Run for the door! MUST leave without ugly southwest print loveseat!!!

metro
07-13-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't think Mathis Brothers has service out the yazoo....I think they have sales hungry associates who fear for their jobs and will follow you around like a lion tracking its prey.

Eek! Run for the door! MUST leave wihout ugly southwest print loveseat!!!

LMAO!!!:tweeted: No kidding. They are like vultures fighting for a dead carcass. And oh so true about the SW print loveseat! I'm more of a modern, minimalistic so I prefer Suburban or Directions in Furniture for style and no vultures in sight as well.

SoonerDave
07-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Mathis Brothers has service out the yazoo

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH!! ROFLOL!!!

Okay, okay, I'm sorry, but I couldn't beleive that when I read it. Mathis Bros doesn't give a crap about anything but your credit card walking in the door and the speed with which you walk out carrying a load of their stuff.

I had to ask them to honor a lifetime warranty on a chair that had broken, and it took them TWELVE WEEKS to fix the thing - and not two times in a row did I get the same story from the same two people when I called about it. Personal letters to *each* of the Mathis "Brothers" went *entirely unanswered*. Telephone service people were CLUELESS. One person told me the chair was lost, one person said they had to tear it down, another told me the part was in...and no one ever had any clue that I had called the week before. I had to start over EVERY time with EVERY new, clueless Customer (lack of) Service dolt.

After twelve weeks, someone finally took pity on me and physically went looking for the chair, found it, and someone finally told me it had been fixed. And it had, so to that extent I guess I should count myself lucky.

I readily admit I have bought a few minor pieces at MB, but I find their service to be a five-star joke. Add to that the fact that they now *require* you to sign that stupid little signature capture device when making a credit card sale (which is a separate issue I could rant about on its own), and shopping there becomes all the more dreadful.

They stalk you like a serial killer, treat you like crap after the sale, and make you thankful they deign to deliver anything in case you don't have a vehicle to pick it up. And they can act that way because they know there's very little competition, and they do have decent (sometimes very good) quality furniture. Great for them, because its like a license to print money, but bad for the consumers.

Worse still is that they're getting into the TV market, I guess trying to crush what few local indies are left...I can't fathom trying to get service out of them on a dead plasma TV.

-SoonerDave

Lauri101
07-13-2006, 04:38 PM
OK, I give!

It's been at least 10 years since I've been to MB, so maybe they have changed. Or maybe I was lucky to get a male salesman who responded to feminine wiles. (Which I'm not opposed to using should it become necessary! ;) )

I bought several pieces of tasteful, sturdy furniture. The loveseat I bought has withstood 6 cats, a grandson and numerous large relatives. It still looks great and it doesn't have a SW print. My delivery was free and the salesman came out to help me put the stuff into place. Can't beat that!

Curt
07-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Man I am sorry to hear that....I was there in December and talked to the cutest girl working there...Danelle..They had some pretty cool stuff there.

rae41
07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
The owner Lee Boone was at Red Earth in June with an artist. She was waling around introducing herself to artists and trying to get them to show their work in her "store". We gave her some merchandise and was to be paid within the week...never got the money and never was able to get in touch with her again!
If this is how she conducted business...no wonder she went under. If anyone has info. on how to contac her I would be appreciative. I would like to have my merchandise back or be paid.

Have a good day!

boonegeneralstore
11-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Dear rae41:
I have just recently been able to re-establish my enternet connection, and been able to ponder your message. Please contact me at BooneGeneralStore@yahoo.com, so that we may be able to address what has transpired, and obviously needs to be taken care of ASAP.
Sincerly: Boone General Store

BailJumper
01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Been past Boone's new location a few times on my way back and forth to OU Medical Center. I've yet to see any cars out front. Anyone been by the new location. Again, what were they thinking? Even Java Dave's scaled back their retail becasue it wasn't moving and they actually have customers.

okclee
01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
The name "General Store" does not entice me to shop at Boone's. Maybe it is just me but I would change the name.

dismayed
01-24-2007, 08:00 PM
LMAO!!!:tweeted: No kidding. They are like vultures fighting for a dead carcass. And oh so true about the SW print loveseat! I'm more of a modern, minimalistic so I prefer Suburban or Directions in Furniture for style and no vultures in sight as well.

Directions in Furniture was my favorite furniture store in the OKC metro. I stopped by there in November and was shocked to find out they were having a going out of business sale. They're probably closed by now. The sales-people said that the owner just decided to get out of the furniture business.

BailJumper
01-25-2007, 06:22 AM
I know people at Directions and the word i heard was they simply could not compete with Internet furniture sites that sell the exact same thing, cheaper and will even often ship it to your door at no additional charge.

Personally, unless you are in your early 20's, live in a tiny apartment and you think wood laminate is high class there isn't much in the place anyone would buy. They've been losing money for quite awhile now.

I liked the look of a couple of their chairs, but the quality was poor and the price too high.

You can find real retro for the same money or cheaper online.

Martin
01-25-2007, 06:29 AM
...i'd go as far to say that directions had the second worst local furniture store ads. the words, 'futons! futons! futons!' instantly make me think of the place. of course, the ads are a distant second to the veritable masterpieces that were made for oklahoma discount furniture. -M

Easy180
01-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Loved Directions too when I was in my twenties and also the fact they weren't associated with Walmart I mean Mathis Brothers who owns almost everything else in that area

Now that I'm an old fogey I gradiated to Suburban...Can't take the grandma floral print couches at Brothers quite yet

BailJumper
01-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Suburban - now that is quailty brothel furniture!

I actually love it. Some pieces are like works of art, but very expensive and unless you did your whole room in similar pieces any one piece would really stick out.

escan
01-25-2007, 08:54 AM
I actually really like Dane Design....clean lines and quality pieces.

BailJumper
01-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Did Dane Design a few years ago. Bought two leather chairs on wood swivel bases (excellent and still use them) and a few bookcases (Teak laminate). They lasted awhile but scratched way too easily and we eventually tossed them.

metro
01-25-2007, 03:52 PM
Actually Directions is still open, they haven't closed yet.

BailJumper
02-20-2007, 08:39 AM
So, I've passed Boone's new location several times the last couple of weeks and the open sign is never on. Does anyone know if they have closed for good?

metro
02-20-2007, 09:42 AM
I've driven by several times and see there open sign on.

BailJumper
02-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Call me crazy, but I thought to myself "I know how to find out for sure... I'll call them."

I went to their website at http://boonegeneralstore-oklahoma.com/index.html

It still shows the Bricktown address (not a good sign). I dialed the published phone number of (405) 228-0033. The number was disconnected (an even worse sign).

I called information. They had the 10th street address and a phone number of 405-228-0330 (close to the one on their website, but not exact). I called that number at 10:45am (during posted business hours) and it was answered by a fax machine! That's strike three!

If they are open, they are trying to keep it a secret.

writerranger
02-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Bailjumper, I would have to agree that they haven't a clue as to how to market their business. May I recommend....

http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/0/76/455/600/0764556002.jpg

------------------------------

jbrown84
02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I think this lady is trying to lose her shirt.

John
02-20-2007, 12:47 PM
I think this lady is trying to lose her shirt.

Well, at least today, she'd get some beads for it! :tiphat:

misterman
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
actually, directions in furniture was having a great year....their co-owner had been working for them since college and wanted to do something else.