View Full Version : Moving to OKC

madison
07-08-2006, 03:39 PM
I could use some advice, I am moving to the area and I do not want to drive to find a house. I found one that seems perfect but not sure of the area. It is in Yukon but in Mustang Valley Elementary school district. Anyone know of the area and school district. I have looked online and seems to be a good district. I could also use help with the understanding of 1/2 day kindergarten then transitional 1st grade. Do they basicly go to kindergarten 2 years? Any help would be great!
Thanks!

jbrown84
07-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Mustang Schools are not the best in the metro, but they are well funded and not bad by any means. Yukon is nice, and a quick trip down I-40 to the center city.

Intrepid
07-08-2006, 05:24 PM
I could use some advice, I am moving to the area and I do not want to drive to find a house. I found one that seems perfect but not sure of the area. It is in Yukon but in Mustang Valley Elementary school district. Anyone know of the area and school district. I have looked online and seems to be a good district. I could also use help with the understanding of 1/2 day kindergarten then transitional 1st grade. Do they basicly go to kindergarten 2 years? Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Transitional 1st grade is simply a step between Kindergarten and 1st grade. It is for those students who just aren't quite ready for the leap to full fledged 1st grade, either academically, socially and/or psychologically. It think it's a wonderful opportunity for some students.

I live in the Moore school district, and there are a few elementary schools that offer Trans 1st. The school my daughter goes to, Plaza Towers Elem, offers it.

There is a web site that you can visit that will compare the schools in various districts. It will show their average test scores, etc.

http://www.greatschools.net/path/mySchool.page?state=OK

Hope this helps.

:tiphat:

madison
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the help!

Karried
07-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi Madison, I'm not really familiar with the schools there but have heard good things. Have you tried www.greatschools.net (http://www.greatschools.net) ? You will find test results and demographics - economic informations, class size etc etc.

If you want more information on this home or any other, feel free to PM me and I can send you some things via email and also get more in depth information on the properties.

Sometimes, homes look great online but in reality they might be quite a bit different when you actually see them!

Welcome to OK!

quailcreekgal
07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
FYI: Living in Yukon could be very inconvenient depending on your work location - traffic getting to and onto I40 and then into OKC is horrific during morning and afternoon drive times. Yukon is mostly housing additions built off an interstate with every conceivable chain store and restaurant at every exit. I'm not knocking it - just trying to give you a realistic observation from my own experience.

goddessnna
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
if u could pick an area to live what would u pick? im thinking edmond(i live in the warr acres area right now), would u all recommend that area?

drumsncode
07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
One thing I learned the hard way, check the property taxes where you want to move. I got a very unpleasant surprise in the Edmond/Deer Creek area. Of course, my realtor failed to mention any of this to me as I got involved in the buying process.

When I someday move, the property taxes will the one big reason.

windowphobe
07-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Unless you actually bought a house in Oklahoma City in Deer Creek schools, your millage isn't that bad.

OKC gets 12.53; Deer Creek gets 75.92; most people pay 14 to 17 for vo-tech; the county gets a flat 22.90. The combination of OKC and Deer Creek (and Francis Tuttle, therefore Tax District 206) is 127.04, second highest in the county. (Nichols Hills is the highest, mainly because they take thirty mills off the top instead of twelve and a half - or 0.2, like the city of Edmond.)

Complete list:
http://www.oklahomacounty.org/assessor/taxrates.htm

MarkOKC
07-30-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't know a lot about Yukon schools, I live in the Putnam City school district in far NW OKC. I do know that the commute from Yukon to just about anywhere in the city can be a real pain at rush hour to and from work. I don't have a problem with Yukon (other than they love to welcome you with a speeding ticket) on occasion, but I wouldn't recommend it for commuting.