View Full Version : Pet bakery

mranderson
07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Oklahoma City has a place called "the barkery," however, they do not offer custom made pet treats such as birthday cakes or other things.

If Oklahoma City had a pet bakery that did on site baking for animals, would you shop there?

If so, what would you like to see as far as offerings, atmosphere, etc? What would you call it?

If not, why?

MadMonk
07-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Not a chance. I think it's a silly idea.

mranderson
07-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Not a chance. I think it's a silly idea.

Why?

Karried
07-06-2006, 10:16 PM
Maybe because bakery items are dangerous for animals.. things like chocolate and sweets aren't good for pets.

Unless they made Dog Food cakes.. which you can easily do at home.. take a can of Alpo, put it in a Bundt Pan - wallah! A Doggie Birthday Cake.. probably a lot less expensive too.

mranderson
07-07-2006, 06:11 AM
There are bakeries across the country that specialize in baked goods that are pet friendly. The first message should have made that clear.

Some people do not want or do not know how to bake for their pets. It is just like those places that prepare meals in avance for people.

In addition. The first reply said it was a "silly" idea. Why is it "silly?" If someone makes a comment like that, they should provide a reason why they feel that way.

quailcreekgal
07-07-2006, 08:01 AM
When I'm in Tulsa I drive to the Dog Dish in the Farm Shopping Center for fresh-baked dog treats - they are the best!!!!!!! Central Bark and Paws Around Town here in OKC have treats very similar to The Barkery - and neither come close to the fresh baked Dog Dish products. None of these pet bakeries use chocolate or sugar, Karried, they did their homework when they set up shop.
I used to buy fresh baked dog treats here in OKC from a teacher who was trying to develop the business as a second income. My dog LOVED those cookies but I lost touch with my supplier.
I make doggie frozen treats in the summer for my dog - it's so easy. There are recipes all over the internet for dog treats from biscuits and cookies to brownies and cakes.
Take a peak at www.threedogbakery.com for their locations in larger cities. Three Dog Bakery is incredible!
Silly? No sillier than buying designer clothes for babies and toddlers! Dogs rule, cats drool!

mranderson
07-07-2006, 08:04 AM
The barkery is part of Paws Around Town. My girlfriend goes there all the time. In fact, she bought a birthday gift for me there that was the most touching gift i have receieved in years.

MadMonk
07-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I think its silly because I believe its a waste of money to buy gourmet bakery items for dogs when a Milk-Bone makes them just as happy. I also beleive its equally as silly to send your dog to a dog-spa, dog-masseuse, dog-accupuncturist, or a dog-therapist.

But, from a business standpoint it might be a good opportunity. There seems to be no shortage of gullible people in the world willing to part with their cash to indulge their pets.

Silly? No sillier than buying designer clothes for babies and toddlers! Dogs rule, cats drool!
I agree. Both are silly.

Karried
07-07-2006, 08:29 AM
Well, you can see I've never heard of a pet bakery... but the words Birthday Cake made me worried... I thought Mr A was asking about a new business idea... I know we aren't supposed to give dogs chocolate and that's what I think of when I think birthday cake!

I remember a time when we were discussing Premade Meals for busy parents and that was criticized as being frivilous so maybe this falls into that same sort of category.

Hey, but to each his own.. who really cares what anyone else thinks about how you spend your money?

quailcreekgal
07-07-2006, 08:29 AM
It's the difference between Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies and a chocolate chip cookie from Big Sky Bakery - both are cookies but one is far superior in taste and quality. My dog does not like the treats from the Barkery or Central Bark - won't eat them but my neighbor's dogs love them - but treats from the Dog Dish never touch the floor in our house. He also loves Old Roy dog biscuits from Walmart - so he gets Old Roys on a daily basis and Dog Dish treats when I've been to Tulsa.

quailcreekgal
07-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Mr. Anderson - did you know you can have one of those soft,fringed throws made with your choice of photos on it? The Red Fox (North Park Mall)offers them - and the quality is really nice! You could have a soft cuddly throw featuring Holly on your couch or bed. And these are great to celebrate your kids, grandkids, brides - makes a great keepsake!

wallyboy75
07-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Another good pet bakery if it is still open is the Barking Dog Bakery

Midtowner
07-15-2006, 08:46 AM
Mad, if it's a stupid idea, there wouldn't be so many in business. The hallmark of a stupid business idea is that no one will buy into it, thus, the business fails. It sounds like dog bakeries are doing quite well.

If people can support their families by running a dog biscuit bakery, power to 'em.

-- and they don't even have to be really good bakers to do it. If a dog will raid the litter box for a nice treat, how good do your biscuits have to be?

bandnerd
07-15-2006, 08:51 AM
It's the difference in giving your pet a treat possibly made from other pets, or giving them one made with ingredients you wouldn't be afraid to eat yourself!

MadMonk
07-15-2006, 11:13 AM
Hey, I SAID it was probably a good businees model. I'm sure there are plenty of good businesses that are based on a silly idea.

My opinion of the general idea remains the same however. I mean, come on; given the opportunity, a dog will lick it own genitals and eat other dog's feces (and cat's too). I don't think they have very discriminating palates. :D I'm not saying other people shouldn't blow their money on this stuff, just that I wouldn't. And wasn't that what Mr. Anderson was asking in the first place?

Midtowner
07-15-2006, 11:17 AM
But sometimes, Mad, it's not about the dog getting a special treat. It's about the owner thinking that they are giving the dog a special treat. I think there's a value there.

Plus, I'll bet these treats are more healthy than feces. Whaddyouthink?

mranderson
07-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Actually, I am so tired of the business community descriminating against my age, therefore having a VERY hard time finding a new job, I am considering starting my own. A pet bakery is one I did not know we had in Oklahoma City, so, I wanted opinions for the possibility of starting one.

Midtowner
07-15-2006, 11:44 AM
If you could operate a mobile kiosk (like a hot dog stand) at the Lake Hefner dog park, you could probably do quite well.