View Full Version : Nathans Hot Dog Contest

metro
07-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Didn't know where to post this. I guess officially eating contests are considered a sport and there is even a major-league eating association. ESPN even covered the event and referred to it as sport so here ya go.

Did anyone catch Nathan's annual contest yesterday? The Japanese guy won again with 54 hotdogs and buns. An American kid came in a very close second, and almost out of nowhere this year. I know the Americans are despirately wanting to take back the prize. Weird but true story.

Faith
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
I heard about this. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I heard he ate the 54 hotdogs in 13 minutes!

mranderson
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
The "sport" is called competative eating. There are numerous contests around the country, and some people are professional eaters.

The Japanese guy holds the Nathan's record at 59 hotdogs. The contest is actaully 12 minutes.

metro
07-06-2006, 09:33 AM
The "sport" is called competative eating. There are numerous contests around the country, and some people are professional eaters.

The Japanese guy holds the Nathan's record at 59 hotdogs. The contest is actaully 12 minutes.

Yes the contest was 12 minutes. Actually, the new world record was made this year at 53.75 hot dogs with buns, the previous world record was by the same Japanese guy (Kobayashi) with 53 last year. http://www.nathansfamous.com/nathans/contest/index.php

You are right on the sport of competitive eating like I previously mentioned. The events are not just around the country but around the world. For more info you can go to these two leagues:

http://www.ifoce.com/

Major League Competitive Eating (couldn't find website)

MadMonk
07-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Mmmmmm...Nathan's hot dogs. I haven't had one in years. I don't think I could cram more than four or five in me at once though. :)

metro
07-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Haha. You know you can get some Nathan's in Bricktown at the little Cafe outside Nonna's. It's a little walk-up window next to the Painted Door gift shop facing Sheridan. They own it but they are an official franchiser of Nathan's. Had me one this weekend. Mmmmm.

MadMonk
07-06-2006, 01:09 PM
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Next time I'm in the area I'll check it out. :)