View Full Version : Qdoba

diesel
07-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Is coming to Penn and Memorial!!! Just saw it across from Red Robin.. Looks like they are hiring right now.. yum

quailcreekgal
07-05-2006, 09:04 AM
I saw the sign but have never heard of it.....what are you recommending from the menu when it opens up?

SoonerDave
07-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Yet another Mexican restaurant in OKC.

What differentiates it from the seemingly infinite number of other Mexican restaurants in OKC?

-SoonerDave

diesel
07-05-2006, 09:41 AM
I saw the sign but have never heard of it.....what are you recommending from the menu when it opens up?

I have no idea.. I have never been to a Qdoba before.. I always have heard about them being in other cities.. You can go to www.qdoba.com to check out their menu.. Alot of good items it looks like.

Patrick
07-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Just what we need....another chain Mexican restaurant. On the Border anyone? Cantina Laredo? El Chico?

Oh well. I guess we needed something to replace Don Pablos.

metro
07-05-2006, 10:02 AM
quailcreekgal, you might want to do a search, there have been lengthy discussions about Qdoba on here before, not sure if there were any food recommendations in that thread or not.

diesel
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Yet another Mexican restaurant in OKC.

What differentiates it from the seemingly infinite number of other Mexican restaurants in OKC?

-SoonerDave

Looks like their food is quick and healthy... Most of their type of burritos and such are not something that you would normally find around OKC... They look really good...

John
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
It gives us another burrito option, besides Moe's, until Chipotle enters the market.

Thumbs up from me.

Pete
07-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Qboda is "quick casual" meaning you order at the counter.

It's very similar to three chains I really like: La Salsa, Baja Fresh & Rubios. They all feature fresh ingrediants, a salsa bar and somewhat healthier slant on Mexican food.

It's a good alternative to fast food and not a full-service restaurant (at least, that's they way they are out here).

hipsterdoofus
07-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Looks like their food is quick and healthy

Healthy? Don't think it will go over in OKC then...:tweeted:

Omaha Cowboy
07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Qdoba moved into the Omaha market over 1 year ago. There is a location less than 2 miles from my home. It is similar to Chipotle (if anyone has ever eaten there)..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace

wsucougz
07-05-2006, 06:34 PM
Doesn't look bad. I'd rather have a baja fresh, though, or Wahoo's Fish Taco.

tnajk
07-05-2006, 07:42 PM
:congrats: Yes!!! I love that place and really miss it since we've moved here.

jbrown84
07-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah it's another "fast casual" place like Moe's, Camille's, Nothing But Noodles, and Pei Wei.

As bored as I am with all the identical sit down mexican places we have (Ted's, Poblano, Ricky's Cafe, Chelino's, Dos Gabachos, Alfredo's...), this might actually be something refreshing.

Patrick
07-06-2006, 01:15 AM
How does it compare with Taco Cabana?

SoonerDave
07-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Wasn't there some high-concept do-it-yourself taco/burrito place that opened up several outlets here in OKC/Norman, then went bust? Something like "Incredible Burrito" where you built your own burrito, and they had all manner of unusual ingredients? Unusual veggies, meats, sauces, etc. Seems like there was one in an old Godfather's Pizza location on the northside, and one somewhere in Norman, but they didn't last very long...it would have to have been the 1999-2000 timeframe, because I worked in that (approximate) neck of the woods of OKC that year..

-SoonerDave

PS jbrown: "All the identical sit-down places...like Ted's..." Couldn't agree with you more. Ted's has really cooled off in our family's eyes; used to be our favorite Mex place, but their prices have gone sky high and their portions have shrunk. I'm not a big Mexican food guy, but my wife is, and even *she* doesn't like to go there anymore for precisely that reason...I mean, something like $13.95 for an chicken enchilada plate...

MikeLucky
07-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Atomic Burrito is what you are thinking of. There was one in Norman on Lindsey that is now the McAlisters....

PS jbrown: "All the identical sit-down places...like Ted's..." Couldn't agree with you more. Ted's has really cooled off in our family's eyes; used to be our favorite Mex place, but their prices have gone sky high and their portions have shrunk. I'm not a big Mexican food guy, but my wife is, and even *she* doesn't like to go there anymore for precisely that reason...I mean, something like $13.95 for an chicken enchilada plate...

that might have a little bit to do with the fact that Ted sold out to Hal Smith group..... Ted would have never expanded with new locations..... So when the new places popped up, that was when Smith took over.....

escan
07-06-2006, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=SoonerDave]Wasn't there some high-concept do-it-yourself taco/burrito place that opened up several outlets here in OKC/Norman, then went bust? Something like "Incredible Burrito" where you built your own burrito, and they had all manner of unusual ingredients? Unusual veggies, meats, sauces, etc. Seems like there was one in an old Godfather's Pizza location on the northside, and one somewhere in Norman, but they didn't last very long...it would have to have been the 1999-2000 timeframe, because I worked in that (approximate) neck of the woods of OKC that year..

-SoonerDave

That was an Atomic Burrito....think they stil have them in Tulsa...not sure why they didn't go over here.

Martin
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
i'll say this again, i miss atomic burrito. while moe's isn't bad, it just doesn't do it for me like atomic burrito did. i believe that all of their locations are now closed, including those in tulsa. in fact, i believe that the last atomic burrito in tulsa sold to qdoba. in any event, i look forward to giving it a try. -M

SoonerDave
07-06-2006, 09:05 AM
that might have a little bit to do with the fact that Ted sold out to Hal Smith group

He did?? Man, am I behind the curve.

When they opened up the S Western location in OKC a couple of years ago, we were under the impression it was still Ted's-owned/operated.

It would certainly explain the $$ increase.

-SoonerDave

thevacman
07-06-2006, 06:05 PM
Ted Curtis himself was in Tulsa for the grand opening. He's still the owner and is behind the expansion. He wanted to do Tulsa 5 years sooner but didn't think they were ready. Hal Smith does partner with several concepts but that doesn't mean he 100% owns them.

Patrick
07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Seems like there was one in an old Godfather's Pizza location on the northside

The one you were thinking of on the north side was in Casady Square at Penn and Britton. That space was occupied by Godfathers, then by Automic Burrito. Now it's occupied by Naifeh Jewelry.

Shake2005
07-06-2006, 06:45 PM
The Atomic Burrito guys sold to Qdoba and now own the new up scale mexican chain "Los Cabos", which has locations in Jenks and Broken Arrow is supposed to be in Oklahoma City soon, along with Kansas City.

metro
07-11-2006, 04:34 PM
For all who are interested, I drove by Qdoba on Memorial today and took some pictures of the progress.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=204

SOONER8693
07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Thank you for the pics.

Baralheia
07-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Let me just put it this way: Qdoba is Moe's but much tastier and cheaper. Oh, and the burritos are even bigger.

None of that tofu BS that Moe's has.

Martin
07-12-2006, 06:59 AM
i don't remember ever seeing tofu at moe's... -M

metro
08-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the Memorial and Penn location is now open! Make sure and get your frequent diner card. They have a pretty good rewards program.

John
08-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I've been probably 7 times in the last week.

Good eats. :D

Martin
08-09-2006, 07:23 PM
wow. i don't think i could eat anywhere seven times in a week. needless to say you like it, right?

so what's the best thing on the menu, then? -M

John
08-10-2006, 01:15 AM
wow. i don't think i could eat anywhere seven times in a week. needless to say you like it, right?

so what's the best thing on the menu, then? -M

I have told friends about it and they wanted to go, and took me along with them. And I think it's more like 6 times. haha.

It all depends if you like steak or chicken. You really can't go wrong with anything.

What I've had recently: Chicken Mole, Fajita Ranchera (steak), Pobalano Pesto, and some more normal ones you just build as you go...

Shake2005
08-10-2006, 07:25 AM
I tried it, not great, not by a long shot. The meat is decent but atomic burrito was better, and AB wasn't outstanding itself.

Q'doba is just slightly better than Taco Bell.

Martin
08-10-2006, 07:42 AM
what i've had recently: chicken mole, fajita ranchera (steak), pobalano pesto, and some more normal ones you just build as you go... thanks for the tip.

and AB wasn't outstanding itself dang... them's fightin' words. so who do you prefer for a fast mexican chain? -M

TStheThird
08-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I happen to enjoy Qdoba. We have had one in Stillwater for a year. My only problem is that they only offer flour tortillas.

The key is to learn how to build the burrito to achieve your taste objectives. It can be done.

It is my opinion that anyone who goes into a restaurant and tries one item and passes judegement on the entire menue is full of it.

metro
08-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Q'doba is just slightly better than Taco Bell.

I'm not even sure if I'd classify Taco Bell as Mexican. While I agree Q'doba isn't all that and not better than Atomic Burrito, it is better than all the other chains around.

John, how is the Chicken Mole' burrito? I tried the recommendation of the worker and they told me the Chicken Queso burrito, I got home and there was no queso on the thing. It wasn't that great either, it would have been if they didn't put so many beans on it. The burrito's are huge though.

Shake2005
08-10-2006, 12:00 PM
I happen to enjoy Qdoba. We have had one in Stillwater for a year. My only problem is that they only offer flour tortillas.

The key is to learn how to build the burrito to achieve your taste objectives. It can be done.

It is my opinion that anyone who goes into a restaurant and tries one item and passes judegement on the entire menue is full of it.

Personally, I think that little boys in college that spent a week one summer "on the continent" and use silly anecdotes about that week and toss off clichés in other languages to attempt to try to pass themselves off world travelers are full of it.

metro
08-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Personally, I think that little boys in college that spent a week one summer "on the continent" and use silly anecdotes about that week and toss off clichés in other languages to attempt to try to pass themselves off world travelers are full of it.

What are you talking about, where did you get that from his original quote?

TStheThird
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Yep... one week my friend. Keep living the dream.

John
08-10-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm not even sure if I'd classify Taco Bell as Mexican. While I agree Q'doba isn't all that and not better than Atomic Burrito, it is better than all the other chains around.

John, how is the Chicken Mole' burrito? I tried the recommendation of the worker and they told me the Chicken Queso burrito, I got home and there was no queso on the thing. It wasn't that great either, it would have been if they didn't put so many beans on it. The burrito's are huge though.

I enjoyed it. It is probably my favorite of the ones I have had. I, of course, went with the habanero salsa but the mole was very nice and flavorful for coming from a chain. You should try it next time you're there.

About your no queso on the 'queso' burrito, tell a manager next time youre in and you might get a coupon for a free something or he might comp you just to make up for it. Being new, they're all about word of mouth right now...

TStheThird
08-10-2006, 03:12 PM
I enjoy the habanero salsa. I also like the pablano pesto.

ISayGoPokes
08-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I am extremely excited about Qdoba! I lived in Indianapolis for about 3 years after college, and there were several Qdoba locations around- near my office, my house, the bars...I'm a big fan and am thrilled that there is finally one in OKC!

I think I've had almost everything on the menu, and have not found anything that I dislike. I love the way they prepare their chicken. A chicken burrito with black beans, corn salsa, sour cream and cheese is usually my pick.

I highly recommend!

quailcreekgal
08-18-2006, 07:54 AM
A Cowboy's word is good enough for me!:tiphat:

traxx
08-18-2006, 09:16 AM
Sounds alot like Taco Cabana. That was huge when it came and then went down pretty quick. What will make this better or more successful?

OSUFlounder
08-20-2006, 08:33 AM
My step-brother is actually in charge of their product development. He told me that they have some new things that are in the works and are going to be tested in the Denver area (that's where they are headquartered) for a while before launching nation-wide. I know they have a new salad being tested now that looks great and something called Mexican BBQ that involves a mole sauce is in the works. We ate at a Qdoba in Ann Arbor, MI and didn't like it, but the one we ate at a couple of weeks ago in Denver was really good. It's just a healthier take on Mexican rather than loads of chips and queso.
Of course, I'm not biased or anything!