View Full Version : What chores do your kids do???

Keith
10-13-2004, 09:00 AM
What types of chores do your children do around the house? My 11 year old daughter sweeps the kitchen and living area, as well as cleaning her room once a week. She has also done dishes, and although she is not required to do her own laundry, she must have it all sorted and ready to be washed.

My 16 year old son is in charge of taking the trash out when the trash can is full. He is also responsible for making sure all the trash is gathered in the house the day before trash pick up, and also making sure both Big Blue’s are taken to the curb. He is also responsible for the lawn as well as cleaning his room once a week. He used to have a few more chores, however, since he is now working part time at the mall, we have relieved him of a few of them.

What do I do when they don’t get their chores done? I get them where it hurts the most.

My daughter……For one weekend, no friends can come over and spend the night with her, nor can she spend the night with any of her friends. Plus, she can’t have any friends come over for at least one day. She is a social bug, so for her, this really hurts.

My son……No phone priviledges for a day, no computer for a day, or no movies with friends on the weekend. At his age, I have plenty of ways to punish him, if I need to.

So, what kind of punishment do you give your children when they don’t do their chores?

mranderson
10-13-2004, 11:14 AM
If I had a kid, they would mow the lawn, clean the garage, clean the house, do the dishes, take out the garbage, walk the dog, cook my meals, and do my laundry.

(Am I kidding? You be the judge)

Good forum.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
10-13-2004, 12:47 PM
I think in most areas this is called a maid lol

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-13-2004, 01:53 PM
I have young kiddos and I know some believe it is too young of an age to make them work. My motto: If you are big enough to get it out...you are big enough to put it away. Never underestimate the strength of a 2 yr old. As for my 4 and 7 yr old- everything is a game. If you don't mind a few extra suds in the sink, washing dishes is all play-yet is gets done and loaded into the REAL cleaner (dishwasher). I believe children should be taught at a young age about responsibility. It's never to early!! :)

mranderson
10-13-2004, 02:05 PM
I have young kiddos and I know some believe it is too young of an age to make them work. My motto: If you are big enough to get it out...you are big enough to put it away. Never underestimate the strength of a 2 yr old. As for my 4 and 7 yr old- everything is a game. If you don't mind a few extra suds in the sink, washing dishes is all play-yet is gets done and loaded into the REAL cleaner (dishwasher). I believe children should be taught at a young age about responsibility. It's never to early!! :)

although they need kid time, I also look at a kid as an "adult trainee." After all, most WILL be adults physically, and most of those mentally. If you do not gear a kid toward adulthood, they become spoiled rotten, rude adults. Not unlike the majority of people have become when they shop. Or, they will do their Christmas shoplifting year round. Might as well be prepared and shoplift early so they can prepare to spend the holidays in the joint.

Responsible parents can stop that.

~~*DarlingDiva*~~
10-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Well I go the route of a paid allowance with my kids.My son has to weekly keep his room clean ,I dont expect him to do his own laundry good Lord all his whites would be pink.Anyway he has to clean the bathrooms keep the trashes emptied and Vaccuum the house once a week i do it the other time once a week.Oh and he has to mop the floors.He gets all of this done in about an hour in a half on Sundays.He gets $7 a week which he saves to buy things he wants.Therefore enforcing the point that you have to save your money and work for the things you really want.Now of course hes only 11 and I dont expect him to pass the white glove test but he does a very good job for a child and when he slacks he does have to go back over it before getting paid.Anyway thats my two cents on this issue it works for him and for me so I guess we both win.:D

Ms.Relaxationstation
10-14-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I pay my kids too. They get room and board, clean clothes, a ride to school, and the occasional Big Gulp from 7-11. lol :p

Patrick
10-14-2004, 06:31 PM
I aven't jumped in this discussion, but I want everyone to know I'm taking notes for when I have kids someday. Sounds like you guys have some great policies for your children. I think mranderson was so right when he said children are "adult trainees." That's a great way to look at it. It's all about teaching your children responsibiltiy when they are young, so they'll be able to take on responsiblities as adults.

Todd
12-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Every morning our kids have to make their beds and "pick-up" their rooms. That way on the weekend it is not this long icky chore that has to be done. We split up the cleaning chores. We divide up the vacuuming and mopping between the 10&7 year old. The 15 year old helps with dishes and/or cooking and cleaning the kids bathroom. So far it has worked out real well. The kids also must keep the family room "picked-up". We don't expect them to pass the white glove test either. They all are heavily involved in different groups. If they want to continue their extra activities, they have to help around the house. They are learning that we all have to work together as a family to help everyone accomplish their goals-however big or small they are.

Patrick
12-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Man, I need to grab a few older kids.....would probably make the chores easier around the house! LOL! Hmmm......child slavery? That has a nice ring to it! Just kidding!