View Full Version : Is Cattleman's' about the best steakhouse?

Redneck Cabbie
07-01-2006, 01:09 AM
On our first visit (the one that convinced me to move there) we ate at Cattlemen's'. We shared the porterhouse for two. Outstanding to say the least.

I was wondering... Is there a better steakhouse for the money?

http://www.wams.us/pt/images/olddawgsmall.JPG
The Redneck Cabbie
Just a country boy stuck in a city job.

dirtrider73068
07-01-2006, 06:44 AM
Santa fe steak house is pretty good I like it, they are the place where they give you a little bucket of peanuts to snack on and you just throw the shells on the floor or whereever with in reason of course :) Other than that I don't of any other steak houses are at.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I ate at Cattlemen's hundreds of times between the late 50's and mid-90's. I was acquainted with the Wade family and was on a first name basis with several of the wait staff. As a high school student making my spending money by delivering newspapers, Sunday morning would find me and a handful of friends enjoying breakfast at Cattleman’s. As a HS senior, I took a job at a western wear store in The Stock Yards and ate there four or five times a week. At one time there was a Cattleman’s Drive In; located about three blocks east on Exchange Blvd., that had great burgers, hand cut fries and terrific hot fudge sundaes.

It was sad to watch the restaurant decline as Gene Wade and the key employees at the restaurant got older, faded from the scene, or no longer had the energy to maintain the high quality standards that contributed to the restaurant's success. I was hopeful that the place would return to putting excellent food on the table when Dick Stubbs took over a few years ago. He cleaned it up and, wisely, didn't change the menu very much. It looked like Cattleman’s would be back on track as my favorite steak place and a good breakfast spot as well. Unfortunately, that has not been the case, at least for me.

I have only eaten there a half-dozen times in the last ten years and with one exception, I have been disappointed. In its heyday, Cattleman’s brought their beef in as full sides and completed the butchering process in their kitchen. They served a lot of hand cut, aged prime beef that is virtually unavailable today. The Wades were cattle ranchers and had a unique appreciation and passion for the beef they sold. Today, the menu features only one “Special” item that could rival the steaks served in the past, but it usually doesn’t make the grade either. Perhaps my tastes have changed and Cattleman's is exactly the same as it always was, but I don't think so. What seems to be missing is the restaurateur. The ever present owner that checks the food as it comes from the kitchen, visits with regulars and newcomers at their table, makes sure everything is clean and neat and keeps the entire staff on its toes. Stubbs is a good business man, and Cattleman’s is a very busy place these days. But it is now one of those “Famous Restaurants” that trades on its reputation but no longer actually delivers what made it famous.

These days, I get my steaks in OKC at Nomad II or La Baguette; both on north May Avenue, or Cheever’s located at NW 23rd and Hudson. Newton’s, though no longer in the hands of the original owner, just off Western on NW 70th is also a good choice.

Intrepid
07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I prefer Texas (ugh) Roadhouse for their Ribeye steak. But I also really like Western Sizzlin and Outback.

Not that I don't like Cattleman's, I just have other preferences.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I prefer Texas (ugh) Roadhouse for their Ribeye steak. But I also really like Western Sizzlin and Outback.

And what is it that you like about those three restaurants Intrepid? Are the Roadhouse Ribeyes cut exactly the thickness you like or prepared in some especially succulent way?

I ate at a Western Sizzlin' once about twenty years ago and have never been inside a Texas Roadhouse or Outback and can't imagine why I would go to either when there are several locally owned restaurants serving food that is surly at least their equal.

Intrepid
07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
And what is it that you like about those three restaurants Intrepid? Are the Roadhouse Ribeyes cut exactly the thickness you like or prepared in some especially succulent way?

I ate at a Western Sizzlin' once about twenty years ago and have never been inside a Texas Roadhouse or Outback and can't imagine why I would go to either when there are several locally owned restaurants serving food that is surly at least their equal.

As a matter of fact, those ribeyes are cut exactly how I like them and the flavor meets with my satisfaction as well. I also prefer the overall atmosphere.

I have nothing against local businesses, but I, personally, am not going to sacrifice my enjoyment just help the local establishment. If I'm going to spend my money, I'm going to pay for what I like. Sounds somewhat cold I know. But that's the bottom line. If I find another local establishment that I like better than the national chains, I will gladly give them more of my business. It just hasn't happened yet.

SoonerDave
07-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Is Cattleman's about the best steakhouse?

In a word, no. Not even close.

My wife has told me her family always treated Cattleman's as a special treat when she was a kid, but our last two trips there have been anything but. Inflated prices for small portions, lackluster service, stale rolls, and piiful dinner salads. The memories my wife has are all she has left.

The best steakhouse IMHO in the Oklahoma City area is Eddy's Steak House on the northwest side of town. Locally owned with cloth tablecloths and wonderful service, and marvelously prepared steaks, Eddy's aspires to a rich and memorable dining experience.

For a "best non-OKC" steak house, the winner would have to be Ken's Steak House in Amber. It doesn't look like much from the chat road that runs in front of it, and they don't take credit cards, but what they lack in "visual" appeal they MORE than make up with absolutely awesome, fork-tender steaks. Ken himself often roams the floor of the restaurant and shakes hands with customers. Simply awesome - drive down I-44 as if you're heading to Tri-City, then head west until the road pretty much stops and leads you south. Look for a sign noting that you're entering Amber, and take a left.

I have no problem giving props to chains if they have great food; never understood the point of sneering at chains if they give you a good value for the $$. Texas Roadhouse is good and consistent, not spectacular, but the big bonus for me is that they know how to cook a steak well done without just charring it. It takes a little extra effort and personalized attention (gasp), but it can be done, and I dismiss those who tell me it can't as merely incompetent and not worth a penny of my time (which is precisely why I've sworn off Santa Fe Steakhouse. I tried three times owing to my own recognition of my pickiness, but not once did they get it right. Buh-bye.)

I've never been a particular fan of Outback; can't tell you why. I guess it's an intangible that just pushes me away. And I know that's not a very sound argument.

Some people will swear by Mickey Mantle's in Bricktown. I swear at them. Half night-club, half restaurant, it excels at neither because it can't quite decide what it really wants to be. Monstrous prices for subpar steaks, abominable service, and $5 baked potatoes. Obviously plenty of people don't share that opinion, because it seems to do well. They'll probably continue to do so, but not with my money.

Western Sizzlin' is tolerable, but their stock in trade is really their buffet. The steaks are only ok; sometimes a bit fatty/gristly side. When WS opened way back when (30 years ago?), there was no buffet, their steak cuts were better, and you didn't have quite this "Golden Corral" feel to it. That said, I'll go to Western Sizzlin 10 times before I'll go to Santa Fe Steakhouse *once*.

One place that isn't really a steakhouse, but serves up an *excellent* steak when they offer it as a special is Charleston's. They offered a NY Strip steak when we were there several weeks ago, and it was cooked to a turn, wonderfully marinated, and it had a marvelous flavor with minimum waste. Wonderful cut of meat, and it was wonerfully cooked.

Interestingly, one of the better strip steaks I've had was at the old, dead Harrigan's (along with a great dinner salad)...alas, that was a long time ago..

Steak-n-Ale is a dying chain that seems to be hanging by a thread. They used to aspire to be an upscale, high-class steak dinner house, but over time they've kinda lost their soul on it. They still have a good salad bar, but I think they're down to two locations here in the metro. It's been a while since my wife and I have been there.

-SoonerDave

Dave Cook
07-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Anyone read the book '1001 Places to Visit Before You Die'?

Surprisingly....I think they had three places for Oklahoma City listed.....the Bombing Memorial, the Cowboy Hall of Fame...and Cattlemans!

Jeez....someone didn't do their homework.

mranderson
07-02-2006, 09:01 AM
When I was a teenager several key members of my family died slowly from mostly cancer. My mom would travel to Ponca City frequently to care for them. That left my dad and me. We would go to Cattleman's and eat the steak and lamb fries. To me, that is probably the most memorable time my dad and I had together... That and election night every two years.

I may have some bias because I was litrally raised on top grade sirloin, so, steaks are not special to me.

Cattleman's was good, however, I have yet to find a really good steak house. A steak is a steak.

If my dad was in good health, I would take him to Cattleman's in a heartbeat because it was just about the only place we went... Just the two of us.

TomGirl
07-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I like Cattleman's but I LOVE Newton's Steak House in the now recovering Western Avenue District. Steak & Ale on the North side is to die for, I'm nutty of the Burgandy Mushrooms. For the money...Cattleman's is pretty good. You should have a reservation at Newtons and their pretty expensive.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-02-2006, 06:48 PM
. . . . If my dad was in good health, I would take him to Cattleman's in a heartbeat because it was just about the only place we went... Just the two of us.

Sorry your dad is not doing well mranderson. I have lots of fond memories of Cattleman's as well. Thanks for sharing yours.

Sooner Golf
07-03-2006, 12:21 PM
Cattleman's probably is the best "Steakhouse for the money".

If you want the best steak you can go to The Ranch, The Boulevard, or the Grill. These are all more expensive than Cattleman's and probably 5-10 times more expensive than Western Sizzlin, but these are prime steaks and excellent.

metro
07-03-2006, 12:25 PM
You want a good steak, go to CafeNOVA and get their cocoa beef, it is about THE best steak I have ever had. Many of you know although I know John Paul Merritt and the DFG, I wasn't particularly fond of liking this place because of the whole "Bachelor" vibe I got. I've learned to absolutely love the food here and the atmosphere is next to none in OKC. I also hear Mahoghany Steak House on Memorial Rd. is a very nice steak.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cimarron Steak House at 201 N. Meridian. For the money, you can't beat the price to portion here.

SoonerDave
07-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Cattleman's probably is the best "Steakhouse for the money".

Sorry, SoonerGolf, but I can't agree with you there. There are better steaks, service, and food in general for the same money throughout OKC. I think many people attach their own memories of the "Cattleman's that was" and try to graft them on to the reality that is the "Cattleman's of the present." No disrespect to Cattleman's fans here, but it simply isn't that special.

And I'll put Ken's steaks in Amber up against anything offered from the other steakhouses you list. Not fancy or "upscale," but just some of the very best steaks you'll ever come across.

-SoonerDave

metro
07-03-2006, 12:30 PM
SoonerDave, I encourage you to try the cocoa beef at CafeNova first.

escan
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Eddy's, but haven't been quite as impressed the past few times. It is, however, my favorite local steak house. I too, grew up on steaks Mr. Anderson and never appreciated them much, UNTIL, I moved off the ranch and had to purchase them myself. BUT, for the best steak I've had in OKC (better than Boulevard or the Ranch), I'd have to vote for the filet I ate at Mahogany. It was unbelievable, amazing, YUM. :)

Easy180
07-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Know it's not a traditional steakhouse, but the best filets I have had are at Shogun's...Can't beat the royal combo of filet and shrimp for under $20...been there over 20 times and have never had a subpar steak

quailcreekgal
07-07-2006, 08:21 AM
The best thing about Ken's in Amber the fun of taking a road trip - the steaks are good and the sides are predictable. I've never been disappointed at Cattleman's, Eddy's, the Ranch, Charlestons, Kona Ranch or Applewoods (gone now). What was the now-gone steakhouse catty-corner from the northeast side of the Fairgrounds - now that place had the best steaks in OKC!

The Old Downtown Guy
07-07-2006, 08:37 AM
What was the now-gone steakhouse catty-corner from the northeast side of the Fairgrounds - now that place had the best steaks in OKC!

Glenn's. Definitely one of my favorites from the past QCG. Their kitchen was open to part of the dinning area and a refrigerated glass case held all of the cuts they served laid out on a bed of ice. Dark wood paneled walls and a nice bar with a good selection of scotch to boot. Went down hill in the late 70’s as the owners got too old to properly run the operation, but was reenergized by the next generation of the family and for the most part returned to its former glory, serving excellent steaks. Burned to the ground in the late 80’s or early 90’s. I guess pocketing the insurance settlement from the fire was too good a deal to pass up and they choose not to rebuild.

The old Glenn’s Hickory Pit location directly across 10th Street is still there, neon sign and all, but hasn’t been open for years. It served really good barbeque cafeteria style.

quailcreekgal
07-07-2006, 08:47 AM
That's it - Glenn's! and OMG!!!!! Christopher's - that was another great steak place!!! What was the one on NW 39th? Fred Gandy's or something like that? It was another nice steak house.:kicking:

SoonerDave
07-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Man, Glen's Hikry Inn - what memories that brings back. They used to have a Sunday smorgasbord you wouldn't believe. They had wonderful steaks cooked right out in the big middle of the dining area.

It was dimly lit for a quiet, wonderful atmosphere with real linen napkins and tablecloths, unlimited fresh blueberry muffins, and a scent that would just spin you right into heaven if you got too much of it. I don't know if you can ever truly recapture the spirit of a Glen's; seems like that era is passed. What a shame. Wish someone knew how to give it a try..

I actually believe the placed had already been closed for some time when it burned down, because the fire (IIRC) was traced to the area near a deceased vagrant they found whom was presumed to have perished in the fire. As I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) officials suspected he had broken in to avoid the cold, started smoking a cigarette and fell asleep with it still burning.

Glen's was truly an OKC treasure. Never be anything like it again.

-SoonerDave

JackTar
07-10-2006, 03:56 PM
The new Mahogany on Memorial Row is fantastic, but pricey. They use a Montague oven that sears in the juices at around 900 degrees. They use the best available meat, flavored only with salt, pepper and butter (but you can order bearnaise and other sauces, too).

Doug Loudenback
07-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Glenn's. Definitely one of my favorites from the past QCG. Their kitchen was open to part of the dinning area and a refrigerated glass case held all of the cuts they served laid out on a bed of ice. Dark wood paneled walls and a nice bar with a good selection of scotch to boot. Went down hill in the late 70’s as the owners got too old to properly run the operation, but was reenergized by the next generation of the family and for the most part returned to its former glory, serving excellent steaks. Burned to the ground in the late 80’s or early 90’s. I guess pocketing the insurance settlement from the fire was too good a deal to pass up and they choose not to rebuild.

The old Glenn’s Hickory Pit location directly across 10th Street is still there, neon sign and all, but hasn’t been open for years. It served really good barbeque cafeteria style.
Ahh... Glenn's Hickory Inn! Now, THAT was a great steakhouse!

But, as for Cattlemen's, yes, when I was a pup (I graduated from HS in 1961), it did, I think, deserve its well-established-by-then reputation. But, in the few times I've been there during the last 20 years, I'd find it difficult to recommend ... unless ...

... you're interested in a few breakfast entries probably not available elsewhere ... I'm thinking of BRAINS (for God's sake)! When I was a very young kid (5-9) and living with my grandmother in Clinton, she would fairly often serve fried "brains" (cows, pigs, I don't know), and I seem to remember that I liked them, as repulsive as it sounds. Well, my wife and I went there (Cattlemen's) about 15 or so years ago and it was on their breakfast menu. For old times' sake, I decided to give it a go. That was a huge mistake! I don't know if my child's eye memories of my grandmother's cooking is/was exaggeratged, or if Cattlemen's was substantially inferior, or what ... but, regardless, that will doubtless be my last taste of brains! :boff:

ptwobjb
07-10-2006, 05:29 PM
I ate at Cattleman's and it was pretty good...not the best but pretty good. My dad really likes to eat there when he visits because it reminds him of the restaurants from his younger days, growing up on a farm in Texas. He now lives in Seattle, so he doesn't see that kind of atmosphere anymore.

Something crazy: I had an outstanding steak at Bricktown Brewery. It was the KC steak. I don't normally eat there because I haven't been impressed with the food in the past, but that steak was great!! And a good price too.

Strange where you sometimes find good food hiding.

davido
07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
I went there an assumed that if they had good steaks they had great burgers, McDonalds puts their burgers to shame... that what you get for ass u ming. eating steaks out seems like a waste of money to me, the only time I eat steak out is a Golden corral and they have really good steaks, I like to do mine in the grill outside in my yard. And speaking of Ken's in Amber, I went there once for a family get together, and their prime rib was really good.

citizenkane
07-29-2006, 09:22 PM
The Ranch and Boulevard Steakhouse are excellent. Also, La Baguette's "Filet au Poivre" is very good. To tell you the truth, I don't think Cattleman's has very good steaks.

beatlebutt81
07-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I much prefer Outback

Midtowner
07-29-2006, 11:11 PM
You want a good steak, go to CafeNOVA and get their cocoa beef, it is about THE best steak I have ever had. Many of you know although I know John Paul Merritt and the DFG, I wasn't particularly fond of liking this place because of the whole "Bachelor" vibe I got. I've learned to absolutely love the food here and the atmosphere is next to none in OKC. I also hear Mahoghany Steak House on Memorial Rd. is a very nice steak.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cimarron Steak House at 201 N. Meridian. For the money, you can't beat the price to portion here.

As for Cafe Nova -- completely agree.

Nothing better than that steak.

zuluwarrior0760
07-29-2006, 11:16 PM
I too have noticed a REMARKABLE decline in Cattleman's.

Ate there a few weeks ago and the atmosphere was about all that was left. Even the lambfries were not as I remembered them...

What can I say, it happens.

Western Sizzlin I frequent from time to time, but only for the buffet. Their steaks always tasted way too "salty" to me...

Newtons, Cheever's, Eddies....all get top grades imo..

BUT:

The best steak I've ever had in my LIFE!!!

A place called Tenaya Restaurant and Big Game...
in Irving, Texas...

Had to go there for a business meeting on time and ordered the tamest thing on the menu "steak"....
and I do not know what they season it with, or marinate it in....but I've never forgotten it...

If you're down around Dallas, give them a try....

Doug Loudenback
07-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Man, Glen's Hikry Inn - what memories that brings back. They used to have a Sunday smorgasbord you wouldn't believe. They had wonderful steaks cooked right out in the big middle of the dining area.

It was dimly lit for a quiet, wonderful atmosphere with real linen napkins and tablecloths, unlimited fresh blueberry muffins, and a scent that would just spin you right into heaven if you got too much of it. I don't know if you can ever truly recapture the spirit of a Glen's; seems like that era is passed. What a shame. Wish someone knew how to give it a try..

I actually believe the placed had already been closed for some time when it burned down, because the fire (IIRC) was traced to the area near a deceased vagrant they found whom was presumed to have perished in the fire. As I recall (correct me if I'm wrong) officials suspected he had broken in to avoid the cold, started smoking a cigarette and fell asleep with it still burning.

Glen's was truly an OKC treasure. Never be anything like it again.

-SoonerDave
Yeah, that's where I learned to love lots of garlic on good rare beef! Mmmmm ...

Does anyone have a pic of the old Glen's? I'd love to use it in a blog article.

Doug Loudenback
07-30-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't think La Baguette's has been mentioned, so I will.

Perhaps the best steak I have ever sunk my teeth into was at the La Baguette Bistro & Bakery at 7408 N May. It was a filet with a juicy portebello mushroom on top ... cooked rare just the way it should be. It was to die for!

It has a nice website, but would be better if it had a menu: http://www.labaguettebistro.com/

writerranger
07-30-2006, 03:05 PM
Best steak I ever had was the Chicago Chop House in downtown Chicago.

-----------

Doug Loudenback
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, that's where I learned to love lots of garlic on good rare beef! Mmmmm ...

Does anyone have a pic of the old Glen's? I'd love to use it in a blog article.
I had the good fortune of purchasing the Vanished Splendor 3 volume set last week. Yea! I've been looking for the set for awhile now, so now I don't have to borrow someone else's!

Anyway, Vol. 2 contains this old postcard of Glen's (not Glenn's as I'd said before):

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/glenss.jpg

The same volume also contains several postcards of other restaurants gone by. I'm looking for the Beverly's thread, writerranger, to post a pic and ask you a question ...

Martin
08-15-2006, 11:54 AM
vanishing splendor is a really great set. in fact, doug, i bought all three a few months ago at a local bookstore after seeing some of the pics you had posted from it!

while i like cattlemen's, this past weekend i really missed the cafe that they had opened up across the parking lot. some of that homestyle food just seemed as if it'd hit the spot. -M

Doug Loudenback
08-15-2006, 12:26 PM
vanishing splendor is a really great set. in fact, doug, i bought all three a few months ago at a local bookstore after seeing some of the pics you had posted from it!

while i like cattlemen's, this past weekend i really missed the cafe that they had opened up across the parking lot. some of that homestyle food just seemed as if it'd hit the spot. -M
Where did you get them?! I looked high and low in bookstores (I thought)! I certainly recommend them, most highly!

I thought there was a Beverly's thread here, but I couldn't find it ... so I'll just post this here:

In my blog article on Beverly's, http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/07/north-on-lincoln-chicken-in-rough.html , writerranger said:

Oh, Beverly's also had a "Gridiron" location at 12th and Walker.
Vanished Splendor Vol 2 says the same, "... Beverly's Gridioron at 1207 North Walker ...", and shows this postcard, left, below. The "Beverly's Gridiron" is under the upper left image in the card. The right pic shows Taste of the Caribbean, which I took this morning. It is also in the 1200 block on the east side of the street, but on Hudson instead of Walker.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/beverlys_grill_gridiron_driveins.jpg http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/caribbeans.jpg

The resemblance would be more striking had I taken the right pic north of the building (but a car was behind me ... you know?).

I'm just wondering it the Hudson building and the Gridiron Beverly's might be the same thing, and that the Walker address might be a mistake?

Writerranger? Anyone?

Martin
08-15-2006, 12:57 PM
since this is a cattlemen's thread, it's a funny coincidence that the bookstore i got them from is in the stockyards. i found volume one online in colorado, but ended up getting them locally when i found all three after only going to about five places in the metro. i guess i was lucky! they are great books. -M

Doug Loudenback
08-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Following up on the Beverly's/Caribbean query, here's a pic I took this afternoon from the north side of Taste of Caribbean, for comparison to the "Beverly's Gridiorn" shown above, said to be on Walker:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/caribbean3.jpg

The pics certainly aren't identical, but the old postcard was probably made in the 1930's and lots could have happened since then!

Anyone know if the 2 facilities are/are not the same?

The Old Downtown Guy
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Doug, My personal recollection of this building (#37) only goes back to the early 70s when it was The Busy Bee Cafe. I don't believe it was ever a Beverly's location.

In #35, I think you have the locations of the Grill and the Gridiron reversed in your text. The building with the round window next to the entrance was Beverly's first OKC location at 209 West Grand (now Sheridan)just west of the Colcord and that's how it is described in Vanished Splendor II. I recall that building being there as late as the early 60's. It went down when urban renewal cleared most of that block for the site of the never constructed galleria.

The building that is described as being at 1207 N. Walker is actually still standing. It's on the west side of Walker in the block just North of Plaza Court. There are three or four other interesting small buildings on that block too, all of which are in rather poor shape, but as Midtown makes its comeback, perhaps the buildings will too. It would be great if the owner of the last remaining Beverly's at Penn and NW Expressway opened a second location in the old 1207 N Walker building.

Also, I believe that the 1207 Walker location preceeded Beverly's final (I think final) but much larger flagship "Home of The Big Bev Burger" restaurant at NW23rd Street and Classen. It was very similar in design with a sloped canopy and clestory windows on the north side of the high ceiling dining room.

Beverly Osborne was quite a horseman and for several years following his death, a custom saddle of his, emblazoned with the "Chicken In The Rough" logo was displayed at Ned's Western Wear in Stockyards just across the parking lot south of Cattleman's. So all of this has sort of come full circle.

The Old Downtown Guy
08-15-2006, 07:35 PM

Fabulous rare book find mmm. I have seen those out of print three book sets on e-bay priced at around $250 and that was a few years back.

Doug Loudenback
08-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Doug, My personal recollection of this building (#37) only goes back to the early 70s when it was The Busy Bee Cafe. I don't believe it was ever a Beverly's location.
Yes, on reflection, I agree that they are not the same building. I'll look tomorrow at the Walker location and take a pic ... it would need to be on the west side of the street and not the east, as I'd thought earlier.

In #35, I think you have the locations of the Grill and the Gridiron reversed in your text. The building with the round window next to the entrance was Beverly's first OKC location at 209 West Grand (now Sheridan)just west of the Colcord and that's how it is described in Vanished Splendor II. I recall that building being there as late as the early 60's. It went down when urban renewal cleared most of that block for the site of the never constructed galleria.
OH! You mean my "other left"! :tweeted: In the text I posted earlier this afternoon at the revised blog entry about this pic, I said, there,

Here are a few more pics - the 1st shows the "drive-in" as well as 2 other Beverly's in Oklahoma City, Beverly's Grill (downtown, 209 W. Grand ... now Sheridan, the original Beverly's) and Beverly's Gridiron (the source says 1207 N. Walker)... so at least I got it right there! http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2006/07/north-on-lincoln-chicken-in-rough.html

The building that is described as being at 1207 N. Walker is actually still standing. It's on the west side of Walker in the block just North of Plaza Court. There are three or four other interesting small buildings on that block too, all of which are in rather poor shape, but as Midtown makes its comeback, perhaps the buildings will too. It would be great if the owner of the last remaining Beverly's at Penn and NW Expressway opened a second location in the old 1207 N Walker building.
For sure! She either has or is about to open such a thing in the Wiley Post Heritage of Flight Center: http://www.wileypost.com/links/cir.html . I've not been out there to see, though.

Also, I believe that the 1207 Walker location preceeded Beverly's final (I think final) but much larger flagship "Home of The Big Bev Burger" restaurant at NW23rd Street and Classen. It was very similar in design with a sloped canopy and clestory windows on the north side of the high ceiling dining room.
Yes, I certainly remember it.

Beverly Osborne was quite a horseman and for several years following his death, a custom saddle of his, emblazoned with the "Chicken In The Rough" logo was displayed at Ned's Western Wear in Stockyards just across the parking lot south of Cattleman's. So all of this has sort of come full circle.
Just as it should! Thanks for the great info!

Do you know if there were Beverly's in OKC other than those already mentioned?

Doug Loudenback
08-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Fabulous rare book find mmm. I have seen those out of print three book sets on e-bay priced at around $250 and that was a few years back.
Isn't that the truth. In some quick googling, one can get Vanished Spendor II here for $80 plus shipping: http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?b=Howe050&m=220 , Vol I for about $125 (see http://www.allbookstores.com/book/compare/0910453012 ). Plus, mmm got the set as a unit and got to see before buying!

The Old Downtown Guy
08-16-2006, 06:22 AM
I don't recall any Beverly's locations other than the ones you have covered Doug. I don't think he ever ventured south or east.

Excellent posts Doug. Beverly's is a great example of middle of the road priced local cusine done with style and an appreciation of food. I don't ever remember hearing him refer to any of his restaurants as stores or the fine food he served his clientel as product.

Also, anyone that ever occupied a seat at the counter of the 23rd & Classen location will recall Nell, the waitress that covered that station for about 25 years.

Doug Loudenback
08-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Following up on the Walker Beverly's here's the pic I took this morning which proves the tale ... just as TODTG said, there it is ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/restaurants/beverlysonwalker.jpg

It's direcly west across the street from the Osler Building.

Ha! The joke's on me! I drive by this location 2 or 3 times a week on my way home from work! :fighting2

quailcreekgal
08-17-2006, 10:36 AM
When I was a kid there was nothing better than a Big Bev burger and a chocolate milkshake with my grandfather at the 23rd and Classen location.....and I have the thighs to prove it!:tweeted:

MadMonk
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I don't think La Baguette's has been mentioned, so I will.

Perhaps the best steak I have ever sunk my teeth into was at the La Baguette Bistro & Bakery at 7408 N May. It was a filet with a juicy portebello mushroom on top ... cooked rare just the way it should be. It was to die for!

It has a nice website, but would be better if it had a menu: http://www.labaguettebistro.com/
I checked out their website and they do have a menu. Click on the Bistro link and choose Brunch or Lunch/Dinner. Here's the link for lunch/dinner. The Croque Monsieur sandwich is my favorite, but I haven't had the Filet Portofino you mentioned.
http://www.labaguettebistro.com/dinner.php