View Full Version : Demolition on east side of I35 in Moore

Pages : [1] 2

aintaokie
06-29-2006, 07:41 AM
FYI demolition of the old Sams and Microtel (hotel) started about 2 weeks ago. The motel is gone and Sams will probably be finished with this week. The old Moore mall (the bingo joint) is supposed to be next.
Last year a leasing rep. told us that all of this area would be torn down and a new shopping center would be going up. Does anyone have better info on this?

OSUFlounder
06-29-2006, 09:04 AM
The Moore station (cable 17 in Moore I think) was saying that the new development was supposed to include a big box store. When I think big box store, however, I think wal-mart, target, or k-mart. Wal-mart is right across the street and I can't imagine would move, target is going in not 5 miles south, and k-mart hasn't done well in OKC. Lowe's is going in just north of the Wal-mart and just south of the area for the Warren theaters. I can't imagine what they will put in there, but let's hope it is good.

mranderson
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Lowe's has purchased land in that area, so it may be for their new location. If it is, then the store will be open within a year as it takes nine months from groundbreaking to opening.

Target bought land in the 12200 block of S. Western a couple of years ago and announced a Super Target. If it is still a go, they had to clear the land first. Since I am rarely in that area anymore, I am not sure of the progress.

soonerliberal
06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Lowe's purchased land just to the north of the Walmart Supercenter in Moore. Apparently it is supposed to be in between the Walmart and the new Warren Theatre.

An old farm house and barn that somehow survived the explosive growth near Westmoore High School around 122nd and Western has been demolished. However there is an empty field on the other (east) side of Western that has yet to develop. The intersection of 119th and Western is a nightmare all day, especially at rush hours and times when the high school lets out. I'm sure Target would love to take advantage of the traffic there.

OSUFlounder
06-30-2006, 09:25 AM
I don't think the land where the old barn and house stood is big enough for a supertarget. Maybe I'm wrong, but it still seems rather small. Traffic is pretty busy around that area though and I know that I would love one that close.

Martin
06-30-2006, 09:39 AM
a couple of years ago, i'd heard about the 119th and western supertarget as well. although nothing has ever come of it, the land seems seems to me as if it would be of adequate size. here's (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=SW+119th+St+%26+S+Western+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK +73170&ie=UTF8&ll=35.345165,-97.535613&spn=0.012497,0.022123&t=k&om=1) a google map of the area. you can see westmoore at the bottom of the map for scale. -M

Intrepid
06-30-2006, 08:17 PM
a couple of years ago, i'd heard about the 119th and western supertarget as well. although nothing has ever come of it, the land seems seems to me as if it would be of adequate size. here's (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=SW+119th+St+%26+S+Western+Ave,+Oklahoma+City,+OK +73170&ie=UTF8&ll=35.345165,-97.535613&spn=0.012497,0.022123&t=k&om=1) a google map of the area. you can see westmoore at the bottom of the map for scale. -M

I vaguely remember in a previous post someone mentioning that Target was extremely interested in that land on Western, but eventually decided against building.

As for the east side of I35 in Moore, I had heard they were tearing stuff down to develop the Riverwalk area on that side of the highway.

I've also heard that Earl's Rib Palace is set to set up shop somewhere in that area.

OSUFlounder
07-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Earl's looks like it will open soon (i.e. next couple of months). It is just south of the Applebee's and BWW. As for the east side, I know they are developing something but I just can't imagine what...

As for the supertarget - I think for a regular target store the land would be big enough, but not for a Super Target - have you seen how big that one is in Norman?

Intrepid
07-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Earl's looks like it will open soon (i.e. next couple of months). It is just south of the Applebee's and BWW. As for the east side, I know they are developing something but I just can't imagine what...

As for the supertarget - I think for a regular target store the land would be big enough, but not for a Super Target - have you seen how big that one is in Norman?

Honestly, I haven't ever seen ANY super target. I don't like Target, and never have really.

Thanks for the info on Earl's. I wasn't sure where it was going. Hadn't been down that way in awhile.

Easy180
07-04-2006, 12:23 AM
About a year back Petsmart and Target were trying to buy out some of the houses right behind the abandoned Sam's to make more room ..my friends lived back there and said it fell through because one homeowner would not sell...as far as I know there will be a SuperTarget in Norman so no way it will end up being at this site...There is also a for sale sign up right in front of the Sam's so there may not be anything at all lined up right now

I for one hope it's something good so my home value goes up!

OSUFlounder
07-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Amen to higher property values! The old Sams and the motel are gone, next should be the bingo parlor. I don't know if they are going to demo the current strip center holding the Ross, pool store, etc. What about those restaurants?

JOHNINSOKC
07-05-2006, 07:21 PM
I somehow remember hearing about them tearing down most of the buildings on the east side to make way for a power center that was supposedly going to be called "The Shops at Moore." Something similar to a Belle Isle-like development is what I heard would be built there.

Easy180
07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Read this morning that 3 of the tenants will be Ross, JC Penney and Office Depot...Boy...so far so boring..I shop at those stores on average 0 times a year

All I know is we better get a Petsmart in Moore

soonerliberal
07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Project adds retail, restaurants in Moore
Newsok.com
By Ja'Rena Lunsford
Officials say plans will boost east side
MOORE - More is coming to Moore.

The south metro city is preparing for a 390,000-square-foot shopping center that will bring more retail and more restaurants to the growing area.

A Microtel Hotel, an outlet mall and a 125,000-square-foot former Sam's building that sat empty for nearly two decades already have been demolished to make room for Shops at Moore, the $50 million project that will be off SW 19 Street and Interstate 35.

Deidre Ebrey, director of economic development for Moore, said Shops at Moore will bring about $3 million annually in sales tax revenue to the city.

"Not only is this a huge financial boost to the city of Moore, but a wonderful opportunity for our citizens to shop locally at the stores they like," Ebrey said.

Burk Collins, developer for Shops at Moore and owner of Burk Collins Co., said demolition will take about 90 days and the shopping center will take a year to complete.

Neither Collins nor Moore are strangers to retail development. Collins entered the Oklahoma market five years ago and recently developed 240 Penn Park shopping center in south Oklahoma City. The last two years Moore has welcomed restaurants and retailers such as The Home Depot, Kohl's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Applebee's, Starbucks and Gordmans.

Collins said the reasons for choosing Moore for his latest project are obvious.

"I go where the numbers are," he said.

Moore City Manager Steve Eddy also believes Moore is a logical choice for such a development.

"I think it's the old adage of location, location, location," Eddy said.

Existing businesses in the area, such as Ross and City College, will be rebuilt to become part of the new development, Collins said. Eddy said Shops at Moore woke up the east side of the highway, which has been deteriorating as the west side welcomed a Wal-Mart Supercenter and the Riverwalk retail development over the years.

"Pretty soon that will all be new," Eddy said of the east side of I-35.

Collins said Ross, Office Depot and JC Penney Co. Inc will be the first tenants to occupy the new shopping center.

Ebrey said Shops at Moore not only will be a destination spot for residents, but it also will bring shoppers from across the metro.

"Penneys will definitely be a regional draw," Ebrey said.

Shops at Moore was not the first development in Moore and it won't be the last. More surely will come to Moore.

"Things are really happening now," Eddy said.

OklaCity_75
07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
I am willing to bet JC Penney will be closing the Crossroads store.

soonerliberal
07-18-2006, 12:06 PM
I am willing to bet JC Penney will be closing the Crossroads store.

Yep... sure looks that way

Pete
07-18-2006, 03:54 PM
This will signal the official death knell for Crossroads.

But good for Moore. Those vacant, ugly buildings have been a blight for way too long.

aintaokie
07-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I noticed on the west side of I35 across from Crossroads that all of the neighborhood is now vacant for the new highway project. I also noticed the gang writings on a lot of the properties. Bet ya the mall will look the same in a few years. I'm excited to hear the news about JC Penny and the other big stores comming to the East side in Moore.

Easy180
07-21-2006, 10:17 AM
This is a link to what the center will look like

http://www.smileamerica.com/business/CollinsDevelopment-EastofI-35(July2006rendering).pdf

Easy180
07-21-2006, 10:21 AM
sorry should have added this on the previous reply...also from the city of Moore's website...
Finally a Petsmart!!...the rest not so exciting

The major Tenants already signed up are JC Penney, Ross Dress for Less, Office Depot, PetsMart, City College, Famous Footwear, Sally Beauty, Fashion Bug, Vintage Stock and Men’s Wearhouse. Burk Collins & Company, Ltd. is in negotiations with several other national box Tenants for the site.

There will be several out parcel Tenants on the site and Ricky’s Café will build a new restaurant.

Easy180
07-21-2006, 10:27 AM
and for those that don't already know...the weird shaped building going up in front of the home depot on 19th is going to be a starbucks....guess it's being built on the land that is leased from the developer of the upcoming Fritt's Farm addition and they required starbucks to build it in that style

Moore is big time now w/ a starbucks : )

ETL
07-21-2006, 06:22 PM
Why did Moore not make that man sell his home? Can’t the city make people sell their home in the greater interest of the city as whole (like at Tinker and behind Crossroads Mall)?

Easy180
07-22-2006, 08:51 AM
etl...I think they would have done that, but I think either Target had a backup or they got pi**ed off with the people trying to get twice what their house was worth and just let it go...my friend says a lot of them are still living back there hoping another offer comes their way again

ETL
07-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Well that was unfair to the people who did want to sell! Oh, now Moore won’t get that boost in its economy! :-( Nothing more I can do. Just forgive and forget!

BricktownGuy
07-23-2006, 03:37 AM
Ah, I was wondering when I read sometime back that Collins and Co and bought that Microtel Inn and Suites in Moore from Janki Inns for $2 million.

I was thinking to myself why would Collins and Co buy a hotel, they are more into retail and restaurant properties. I do not think they have any hotels on their portfolio.

Does anyone know the website for Collins and Co??

chrisok
08-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Here's a link to the plans for The Shops at Moore.

Looks like a Men's Warehouse and a Chick Fil A are also included.

http://www.smileamerica.com/business/CollinsDevelopment-EastofI-35(July2006rendering).pdf

ETL
08-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Where is the actoin. I thought that bingo hall was going down?

I think this well be a nice addition to Moore's growth.

Easy180
08-14-2006, 02:09 PM
etl...it will absolutely help Moore and especially the E. side of I35, which was an eyesore w/ the "nice" Microtel, bingo hall and an empty Sam's store

I read that the city council paid for a survey to see if building a bridge over I35 on S. 34th was feasible....sure they will w/ the new shopping center going in

ETL
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Sounds good to me. I just can't wait to see construction.

russellc
08-15-2006, 08:31 PM
The city or someone needs to build a bridge at S 34th for the shopping center, and Integris owns 40 acres at that intersection. A hospital would need easy highway access for the ambulances.

Norman needs an exit at UPN. It will be 2 miles long with access only at both ends.

BricktownGuy
08-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Integris was suppose to be build by now I believe according to plans. I believe the ready to go date was 2006.

Maybe they reconsidered after Schuster.

traxx
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Good to see all those empty buildings gone, they were there for too long. However, it does seem to be similar to Belle Isle which is nothing special. I'm sick of big box stores and strip shopping. Oh well, at least they didn't implode a landmark to build a boring big box development like at Belle Isle. It will be an improvement, if only slightly.

Easy180
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
only a slight improvement over an abandoned Sam's, a bingo hall and the luxurious Microtel??

chrisok
08-16-2006, 11:36 AM
For a city the size of Moore which had virtually no retail, I think it's a huge improvement.

aintaokie
08-16-2006, 08:32 PM
I beleive that a bridge over I35 at SE34 is in the works. I heard this a few months ago at city council meeting. It is a long range planning project.

Easy180
08-16-2006, 08:37 PM
hope it is not too long range...be a great thing for the folks in my neighborhood

wife said the sign is up for a Chili's in front of the Home Depot now....already have the frame up for it...the restaurants are flooding in like crazy now

Keep em coming!!

OSUFlounder
08-20-2006, 08:39 AM
I've been wondering what that was in front of the HD on 19th. A Chili's, ah. I know, I know another chain restaurant. But people in Moore have been driving to NOrman or I-240 for restaurants for years now with a BWW, Applebee's, Chili's, and at least 4 good BBQ places close by it's becoming a nicer place to live!

mranderson
08-20-2006, 12:06 PM
I've been wondering what that was in front of the HD on 19th. A Chili's, ah. I know, I know another chain restaurant. But people in Moore have been driving to NOrman or I-240 for restaurants for years now with a BWW, Applebee's, Chili's, and at least 4 good BBQ places close by it's becoming a nicer place to live!

What is "BWW?"

keving
08-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Bob's Whiskey and Waffles

j/k... Buffalo Wild Wings

mranderson
08-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Bob's Whiskey and Waffles

j/k... Buffalo Wild Wings

Thank you. I have been saying for years that people should not use initials or acronyms because many people do not know what they mean.

Although I really did not know what BWW was, I would have still asked... To prove a point.

xpertinfun
08-27-2006, 08:45 PM
UGH, When are they going to demolish that horrid Bingo hall!?

So I am assuming they are closing the Ross where they are at now? If so, We could be looking at some GREAT sales coming up.:kicking:

ETL
09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Any new info?

Spartan
09-26-2006, 06:47 AM
I saw a few renderings the other day... I'll have to find them and post them when I do.

BricktownGuy
09-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Quite a large file:

http://www.mooreed.com/CollinsDevelopment-EastofI-35(July2006rendering).pdf

xpertinfun
10-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Looks like they started demolition on the shopping center right next to Ross today. Seen them knocking it down this morning.

I dont see anywhere on the pdf file where it says whether it will be brick (hopefully) or that cheap looking stucco material they used on the shopping center on Penn and 240.

Easy180
10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
My money is on the cheap stucco...Unfortunately

BricktownGuy
10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
stucco.

Spartan
10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Stucco? Too hopeful.

EIFS.

mranderson
10-16-2006, 06:46 PM
Not a thing wrong with stucco if applied correctly. In fact, the majority of the homes west of Oklahoma are stucco. And personally, I prefer it over brick veneer.

Spartan
10-16-2006, 07:05 PM
We're talking about shopping centers, not tract homes.

I much prefer some of the new brick veneer strip malls... very nice looking.

xpertinfun
10-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I was under the impression that Moore had a building code in that area that a certain amount of brick has to be used in the structure......Course I could be wrong.

Really, Really prefer the brick over stucco....Look at the new Supertarget, Looks sweeet.

mranderson
10-17-2006, 03:53 PM
We're talking about shopping centers, not tract homes.

I much prefer some of the new brick veneer strip malls... very nice looking.

Same thing. Even though I mentioned homes, my quote applies to strip CENTERS (Malls are enclosed. There is no such thing as a "strip mall.") as well.

Martin
10-17-2006, 04:09 PM
malls are enclosed. there is no such thing as a "strip mall."
actually anderson, you are quite mistaken. first, 'strip mall' is a term used in common parlance. see the below link. furthermore, the term 'mall' predates the notion of a single covered building that houses multiple stores... think about the 'national mall' in washington dc... it's not covered, is it? the general term for a mall does not necessarily imply a covered structure and neither does the term, 'shopping mall.' if you're going to nitpick, at least do it accurately.

wikipedia entry for strip mall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_mall#Strip_mall)

-M

mranderson
10-17-2006, 04:39 PM
actually anderson, you are quite mistaken. first, 'strip mall' is a term used in common parlance. see the below link. furthermore, the term 'mall' predates the notion of a single covered building that houses multiple stores... think about the 'national mall' in washington dc... it's not covered, is it? the general term for a mall does not necessarily imply a covered structure and neither does the term, 'shopping mall.' if you're going to nitpick, at least do it accurately.

wikipedia entry for strip mall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_mall#Strip_mall)

-M

First. Please. It is MRanderson. Next. The term "strip mall" is a backward term used by the hick Texans. Malls are enclosed. Period.

russellc
10-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I remember reading on the plans somewhere the exterior finishes, and it sounded like colored & textured concrete block, but I can't find it now.

Martin
10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
the term "strip mall" is a backward term used by the hick texans. malls are enclosed. period.
i see. so you're saying that this article (http://www.cbc.ca/news/story/2006/09/01/fire-regina.html) from a canadian news source was written by a so-called 'hick texan?' if malls *have* to be enclosed, why is the national mall in washington dc not enclosed? face it, anderson... you don't know what you're talking about. i don't have a problem with that... but when you badger others with your blatant lack of knowledge, it rubs people the wrong way. -M

Intrepid
10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

Shopping mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_mall)

Strip mall

A strip mall (also called a plaza) is a shopping center where the stores are arranged in a row, with a sidewalk in front. Strip malls are typically developed as a unit and have large parking lots in front. They face major traffic arterials and tend to be self-contained with few pedestrian connections to surrounding neighborhoods.

In the U.S. and Canada, strip malls usually come in two sizes. The smaller variety is more common, and often located at the intersection of major streets in residential areas; they cater to a small residential area. This type of strip mall is found in nearly every city or town in the U.S. and Canada. They are service-oriented and will often contain a grocery store, video rental store, dry cleaner, small restaurant, and other similar stores. In the past, pharmacies were often located next to the grocery stores, but, now, the drug store is often free-standing in the parking lot. Sometimes, gas stations, banks, and other businesses will also have their own free-standing buildings in the parking lot of the strip center.

The other variety of strip mall in the U.S. has large, big box retailers as the anchors, such as Wal-Mart or Target. They are sometimes referred to as power centers in the real estate development industry because they attract and cater to residents of an entire population area. The type of retailers may vary widely--from electronics to bookstores to home improvement stores. There are typically only a few of these type of strip malls in a city, compared to the grocery store-anchored strip mall. Some of these strip centers may only have three of four of these large retailers in them, while others may have a dozen or more major retailers.

Some strip malls are a hybrid of both of these types.

Strip malls vary widely in architecture. Older strip malls tend to have plain architecture with the stores arranged in a straight row; in some cases there are vacant stores. Newer strip malls are often built with elaborate architecture to blend in with the neighborhood or be more attractive. In some cases, strip malls are broken up into smaller buildings to encourage walking. Sometimes the buildings will wrap around the parking lot to hide the parking from the road or residential areas.

Due to land use issues, strip malls in the United Kingdom are typically found on the edges of cities on greenfield sites, and are known as out of town shopping centres. Ones in more urban areas (often brownfield redeveloped sites) are more typically known as retail parks.

The first shopping center (strip mall) in the United States was the Roland Park Shopping Center in Baltimore, Maryland (1896).

mranderson
10-17-2006, 05:47 PM
You can believe what you want, even propaganda. I stand by my word.:ou

Easy180
10-17-2006, 05:53 PM
mr anderson...Only you would argue about the existence of strip malls

aintaokie
10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Long live the Republic of Texas and "strip" malls. Okie hicks call them the same thang......so thar ain't no differance between Oklahoma and Texas when it comes to them thar malls.