View Full Version : Bricktown Canal Prime Land Lease Question

writerranger
06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
For those of you in-the-know on real estate, and Bricktown in particular, what's the story on that prime piece of undeveloped land just immediately to the SW of the water taxi's main passenger dock? I've heard rumors over the years, none which have come to fruition. Another thread about Friday's on I-240 made me think of it as I know Friday's was looking at that little spot on the canal at one point a couple of years back. Anybody know anything about the future of that oasis in Bricktown?

------------

Midtowner
06-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I hope not. I'd like to see something spectacular built there. Maybe a hotel that incorporates the canal into its lobby...

floater
06-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I hope not. I'd like to see something spectacular built there. Maybe a hotel that incorporates the canal into its lobby...

Heck yeah. A Friday's would've been such a mistake. A nice boutique hotel with an inviting lobby would be the minimum you would ask for that location. That alleyway would provide nice vehicle access for a hotel or retail store.

Patrick
06-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Local businessman Harry McMullen owns the land. Bought it several years ago for a few mill. from Brewer, I believe. I could be wrong about that. But, anyways, McMullen owned it with intentions to build a 13/14 story hotel on it. He later decided against the idea, and invested his money in a plan in S. America that manufactures aloe vera products. He put the property up for sale then, and it has been up for sale ever since. No buyers.

writerranger
06-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Local businessman Harry McMullen owns the land. Bought it several years ago for a few mill. from Brewer, I believe. I could be wrong about that. But, anyways, McMullen owned it with intentions to build a 13/14 story hotel on it. He later decided against the idea, and invested his money in a plan in S. America that manufactures aloe vera products. He put the property up for sale then, and it has been up for sale ever since. No buyers.

Thanks for that, Patrick. That explains a few things.

-----

Patrick
06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
If you enter the name Harry McMullen in the Search feature on this forum you can find a lot more info. in threads where we talked about it in the past.

jbrown84
06-27-2006, 12:37 AM
Aloe vera products? Sorry but that is so random. lol

metro
06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Yeah, basically it's the chicken vs. the egg dilemma, it's prime development location but the price is too high for the market right now.

venture
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
If there is going to be a hotel that incorporates the canal, I still would like to see something in Lower Bricktown, the new Embassy for example, that would have an archway design of sorts and actually have the canal run through it. Think the Venetian in Vegas - just a lot simpler. The you have the hotel incorporate an indoor waterpark and you have an entertainment venue and more room space.

writerranger
06-27-2006, 08:14 PM
If there is going to be a hotel that incorporates the canal, I still would like to see something in Lower Bricktown, the new Embassy for example, that would have an archway design of sorts and actually have the canal run through it. Think the Venetian in Vegas - just a lot simpler. The you have the hotel incorporate an indoor waterpark and you have an entertainment venue and more room space.

Hmmmmm......that sounds like some creative thinking!
I like this idea....

----------

BDP
06-28-2006, 06:29 AM
I can almost swear that a hotel design was pitched for that lot or another in LB that was denied by Couch because it had an eve that hung "too far" over the canal. I even remembering e-mailing Couch and the council about it. It seems there is some sort of restriction from building over the canal.

I think your ideas are great. Having the canal run through a lobby would be a huge value adder to any hotel, but, if I remember correctly (and it is a possibility that I am wrong and/or the article was wrong) our genius leadership would prevent it.

I also think their is a height limit. That could also prevent a hotel from building there because they may not be able to get the economies of scale needed to make it work.

Luke
06-28-2006, 09:01 AM
A creatively built hotel spanning the canal using the "corner" lot as well as the grassy hill lot on Mickey Mantle would definitely need a creative architect to work out all the details. But it would definitely work. Canal level would be retail on the corner lot, a restaurant on the grassy hill side. Street level would be car drop-off, valet parking, lobby and more retail. 3rd level could offer more retail or begin the hotel. If the developer wanted to get really creative, make it a hotel/apartment building. I can see it now... balconies overlooking the canal and the ballpark...

:)
Luke

venture
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Thats what you get when you put the good ol' boys in charge of your town. Of course, people keep re-electing them...so what's new.

jbrown84
07-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm not sure if it works to have a hotel with the main canal running through it. It could be a problem with too much traffic coming through it and getting in the way of guests. However something could be done in LB with a small extension or loop diverting into the building.

Kerry
07-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Does this corner property have any road access? Without access to a road you can't develop property.

John
07-03-2006, 02:16 AM
Does this corner property have any road access? Without access to a road you can't develop property.

Yes. That's not the issue holding it back.