View Full Version : Rumors re Friday's, Fuddrucker in S. OKC

SoonerDave
06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Here's qty 1 ea Rumor and Update:

This was previously started in the wrong forum, so I've moved the msg here. My apologies for the goof.

-SoonerDave

Rumor:
Rumor from a source I consider reliable relates that a TGIFriday's is going into the emerging retail/restaurant corner at I-240 and Walker, just south of the new "Shorty Smalls" and under-construction "On the Border" restaurants.

Update:
Temporary fencing and a construction office have now been set up on the outparcel in front of the I-240 Penn Plaza, where Fuddrucker's was supposed to have opened back in April. It appears that construction on the "megaburger" joint is finally going to begin after untold delays..

-SoonerDave

Patrick
06-26-2006, 12:01 PM
Glad to see I-240 coming along. We need a nice strip on the south side. I-240 has always been it, but it's fallen behind in recent years. I hope I-240 catches up, where Crossroads has dropped off.

chrisok
06-26-2006, 09:36 PM
There's going to be a TGIFridays on I-240 and in Moore?

SoonerDave
06-26-2006, 10:33 PM
chris,

There's a common misconception that I-240 is Moore, and it simply isn't.

The reason this perception persists is probably because the Moore School District extends north into SW Oklahoma City to approximately SW 82nd street. The boundaries of Moore relative to OKC are generally Santa Fe as the west boundary, 104th as the North boundary (N 27th east of Santa Fe).

Given that the I-240 service road is essentially SW 74th, it then is a bit easier to see that Moore is still a few miles farther south. If the prospective location of a Friday's in Moore is where I think it is - prolly near the new theater - then the two are really fairly distant from each other.

I know it's a nitpick, but when someone tries to tell me I live in Moore, I always correct them. Not because I don't like Moore, but because I don't live there! I live in Oklahoma City, and am darned proud of it.

-SoonerDave

chrisok
06-27-2006, 12:10 AM
chris,

There's a common misconception that I-240 is Moore, and it simply isn't.

The reason this perception persists is probably because the Moore School District extends north into SW Oklahoma City to approximately SW 82nd street. The boundaries of Moore relative to OKC are generally Santa Fe as the west boundary, 104th as the North boundary (N 27th east of Santa Fe).

Given that the I-240 service road is essentially SW 74th, it then is a bit easier to see that Moore is still a few miles farther south. If the prospective location of a Friday's in Moore is where I think it is - prolly near the new theater - then the two are really fairly distant from each other.

I know it's a nitpick, but when someone tries to tell me I live in Moore, I always correct them. Not because I don't like Moore, but because I don't live there! I live in Oklahoma City, and am darned proud of it.

-SoonerDave

I'm in total agreement with you. For someone who has lived Moore the better part of my 32 years, I know as well as anyone the annoyances of basically being considered South Oklahoma City. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.):biggrin:

The only point I was trying to make was that I found it odd that they would locate two restaurants within a 10 mile (at most) radius of one another. The fact that they will be in two different cities is irrelevant in my opinion. It's taken TGIFridays several years to open up one restaurant in the south metro. Now they're going to open two? If they do, that's great. It's nice to finally see some restaurants actually locate in Moore, rather than just I-240 or Norman.

SoonerDave
06-27-2006, 07:11 AM
I know as well as anyone the annoyances of basically being considered South Oklahoma City.

Cool; then you get my point. Sometimes people take it that I don't like Moore, and that's not the case at all; heck, I gradggiated high school in Moore (too many) years ago. But I don't live in Moore any more than I live in, say, Blanchard.

It's nice to finally see some restaurants actually locate in Moore, rather than just I-240 or Norman

Heck, I think Moore has gotten some nice new places along that Little River - the Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. I know they're chains, and many people snub their noses at chains, but for me they're clean, service is good, and food is consistently tasty. That's good enough for me.

What is REALLY exciting to me is that an Earl's Rib Palace is opening just southwest of Applebee's in that same area. Woohoo!

As far as the Fridays proximity to each other, it may be a case where someone else heard about the I-240 location and reported it to someone else as Moore...I've not heard of a specific location for a Friday's in Moore..

-SoonerDave

chrisok
06-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Heck, I think Moore has gotten some nice new places along that Little River - the Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, etc. I know they're chains, and many people snub their noses at chains, but for me they're clean, service is good, and food is consistently tasty. That's good enough for me.

What is REALLY exciting to me is that an Earl's Rib Palace is opening just southwest of Applebee's in that same area. Woohoo!

As far as the Fridays proximity to each other, it may be a case where someone else heard about the I-240 location and reported it to someone else as Moore...I've not heard of a specific location for a Friday's in Moore..

-SoonerDave

I agree with you about the development along the "Little Canal". I frequent Buffalo Wild Wings often, and Applebee's on occasion. If you think about it though, those, along with IHOP, are really the first national chain restaurants to open in Moore....ever. (I am sure I am forgetting some place but you get my point.)

I am very excited abouted Earl's as well. Moore has become quite the BBQ mecca with Swadley's, Van's, and Earl's all here now.

Moore will soon be getting a Chili's, McCalister's Deli, Starbuck's, as well a Freddie's Frozen Custard. (Think Steak and Shake but better.) I had heard the Friday's was to be opened by the new theatre, but you may very well be right about someone confusing Moore with the I-240 location.

Stinger
06-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I noticed you mentioned Swadley's BBQ. They're putting one on Memorial...does anyone have a review?

writerranger
06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I noticed you mentioned Swadley's BBQ. They're putting one on Memorial...does anyone have a review?

Absolutely wonderful. Excellent food and service at Swadley's. It doesn't hurt that Mr. Swadley is one of the nicest people you could ever meet. They also have a "private" location (serving all kinds of food) at the Sonic Headquarters. It's basically the company cafeteria - but with higher quality food than you would find at a "company cafeteria." If Cliff Hudson can trust Swadley's.....well....that says a lot.

----

SoonerDave
06-28-2006, 08:31 AM
There's also a Swadley's at SW 89th and Western, in a former A&W burger building. Great brisket, and awesome Okra. Both Earl's and Swadley's have *great* Okra. I think I like Earl's sauces slightly better than Swadley's, but that's a minor difference. Both are reliably good BBQ places.

Earl's makes awesome burgers; haven't tried Swadley's yet.

Stinger
06-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Good to hear Swadley's is locally owned. Earl's is great, I look forward to trying Swadley's.

metro
06-28-2006, 10:16 AM
The Swadley's in Sonic is not all that great. It's just regular cafeteria food and much lower quality than their actual restaurants.

chrisok
06-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Swadley's burgers are awesome as well. I agree that Mr. Swadley is as nice as they come.

writerranger
06-28-2006, 05:10 PM
The Swadley's in Sonic is not all that great. It's just regular cafeteria food and much lower quality than their actual restaurants.
Do you work at Sonic, Metro? I was told it is far above regular "company cafeteria" standards, even to the point that Sonic subsidizes a portion of each meal to make it a tad above anything else. Cliff Hudson, btw, is apparently very happy.

-----

metro
06-29-2006, 10:42 AM
No I do not and have not worked at Sonic, I do however have contacts that work at Sonic and I have eaten there as a guest several times. The prices are cheaper than normal so they probably do "subsidize" some of the cost which is nice. The quality, is average I would say, at least on my experiences, normal cafeteria food. On the plus side, they had a large Sonic fountain so you could get any drink Sonic offers and add flavor to it (cherry, vanilla, lemon, lime, etc.)

jbrown84
07-02-2006, 05:05 PM
I believe the original Swadley's is over on 39th in Bethany. I ate there once and it was good, but not exceptional.

SoonerDave
07-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Okay, regarding the Fuddrucker's that supposedly coming to the Penn Park plaza - right where they have the temp fencing installed - they've taken OUT the transformer that was recently installed. Nothing has happened on the property (other than that) since the fencing and temp office went up -- anyone have any idea what's up?

Someone else posted that Charelston's has signed a lease on some property in that plaza, and I can't help but wonder if Fudd's has backed out. They still list OKC on their website, and they have a local OKC phone number..

SUSPENSE!! I can't stand the SUSPENSE!!

-SoonerDave