View Full Version : 218 E. Main renovations

metro
06-20-2006, 04:37 PM
Has anyone else noticed renovations on this building going full scale? I drove by today and took some pictures. I keep getting error messages when uploading to my gallery, I'll retry later. Seems like many buildings in Bricktown that were previously vacant or unkept are being renovated now, especially on Main St. The police substation looks done on the exterior. Keep checking my gallery for new pics.

metro
06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
The pics finally loaded. Pics in my gallery:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=204

floater
06-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Metro, did McDermid say anything new or insightful in his AEP talk?

metro
06-27-2006, 08:16 AM
The main topic of his speech was "The 5 Cigars" as Jim Tolbert has famously made them known. Basically he gave a brief intro of the past, the first boom, the first bust, the war, the "five cigars" (which are the 5 men who primarily controlled the city, Gaylord, McGee, Everest, etc.) the second boom, the second bust, and the stage he now thinks we are in the "third boom" . He also talked briefly on his upbringing in England and how he got here to Oklahoma, which ironically was not planned nor did he plan to stay. As far as future projects he did not give a lot of insight other than what has been publicly announced, he just encouraged people to find their passion and get involved with such organizations and shaping them. He mentioned how accessible OKC still is. For instance if you went to LA or Chicago, you couldn't talk to the mayor, a CEO, etc. but here us young professionals still can.. etc.