View Full Version : Jury Duty Experience

Karried
06-19-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm done with Jury Duty!! Allejuia!!

Today I sat from 8am -4:30pm feeling like the kid who never gets picked to play on the team .. everyone else was getting picked and the last people were picked and I thought I would have to come back tomorrow and do it all over again.. and wait and wait for hours.. just sitting there watching Ted Danson's crappy talk show, Mauri Povich give DNA tests to 8 different guys to find a baby's daddy... ( never found him) soap operas (which I loathe ), read every magazine known to man, tried to read a boring novel, people watched, chatted and and finally ....

she said . "Okay, for those whose names weren't called, you can go home and your jury duty is finished!" If I had only know, I wouldn't have cancelled Chris Paul basketball camp for my son aahhggg. but oh well, if I hadn't, Murphy's Law would have applied and I would be on a trial for months.. I'm soooooo relieved!! ( doing the Snoopy Dance!)

Ha,ha the people who were called right before me were so happy that they got to home at 4:15pm but they have to come back tomorrow.. at 9:00am .. LOL - hurray! I'm done! ( doing the Snoopy Dance again!).

Let's see.....

Parking was -$8, Lunch at Harvey's Grill (not so great) -$8 , -$35.00 Cancelation fee for camp, + $20 bucks paid + .44cents a mile for Jury Duty.

Not having to sit on a Jury for weeks on end -

Priceless!

OklaCity_75
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
How many days did you have to do this?

I have a funny feeling any day now I will get my notice for jury duty.

I know they pick jurors from the list of registered voters and I vote in every election. I figure that has to increase my chances by leaps and bounds.

Karried
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
It was just today... thank goodness. That's why I feel so lucky to only have been there for one day. I had heard stories of being there for months .. with the kids out of school and my job.. I wasn't looking forward to that!

Patrick
06-19-2006, 09:32 PM
They typically send you a juror survey to fill out before they actually select you. They sent me one awhile back, and I took Oki_Man's advice and told them I was a VIP and didn't have time for their lousy jury duty! Oh yeah, the form is a scan tron like thing, but I pencilled all that in! LOL!

Karried
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I never got a scan or survey, just a Summons telling me to appear or be in Contempt of Court. Today, I was actually weighing the cost of a contempt of court ticket to what it was costing me sitting there for hours on end - ahhh, the emotional toll of not being picked - LOL !

Oki_Man5
06-20-2006, 05:54 AM
You did well, Patrick. LOL You can never go wrong by taking advice from me.

Disclaimer: This was meant to be humorous; no hidden message is intended to be embedded therein.

Oki_Man5
06-20-2006, 06:10 AM
One day, Karried; I know it upset your schedule, but if you had been in Pott County, typically, you would have been "tied up" for two weeks in the initial term---calling the answering machine that is usually busy with all the other jurors calling in for the same reason every night to see if you had to report the next day never knowing how to schedule and ever wondering when you might have to go in to possibly be called.

Then, a few weeks after the initial term, another week of the same thing---going in and then calling in to see if you have to report.

All the while during your three-months term being on call to report for duty in case some "special" case comes on for trial, and the Court needs jurors.

Here tho, the parking is free, and we get paid mileage and the small fee for each day we have to report, but it is so far below any wage anyone might make for the same time on a job, that each time (three times of jury duty for me so far) there are people who present to the Judge that it will be financially devastating for him or her to serve, and that person is usually excused. On my first term, I worked for the government, and my job made up the difference in pay, but the second two times, I was self employed, but I scheduled my work around it.

Disclaimer: This was meant to be educational on what some jurors go theough in another county; no hidden message is intended to be embedded herein.

Edited to use smaller font on the disclaimer.[/SIZE]

Patrick
06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Oki_Man5, I love your disclaimer, especially the size. Too bad you were the first to come up with the idea! LOL!

Karried
06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
Yes, I consider myself very, very lucky. I really wouldn't have minded being on a jury. I thought it might be interesting. But sitting and waiting to be called wasn't interesting at all. It wasn't horrible though.

I know we are lucky in OKC in that we have a huge amount of jurors for the pool. We must have had 200 or more people there.

Yes, I'm very happy today.. I woke up and had a sympathy thought for those getting ready to apprear today at 9:00am and trying to find a parking spot.

Oki_Man5
06-20-2006, 08:58 PM
The Judge in Pott County tells us that youall in OK County have an area to wait where you can sit down and such; is that true?

Here in Pott County, the Jurors have to mill around in the courthouse hallways or go outside and sit or lay down on the grass---rough in winter. LOL

Patrick, I hoped nobody would think I was trying to make a scene with my post. True too that I break new ground regularly; hang on, and I will take you for a ride. LOL

Survey
06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Karried, stop your whining. You were being paid for being there to watch Maury Povich. Easy money. I don't feel sorry for you.

1Adam12
06-20-2006, 09:36 PM
Karried, stop your whining. You were being paid for being there to watch Maury Povich. Easy money. I don't feel sorry for you.
Ease up, Survey, and give Karried a break. I have been in so many court rooms and involved in so many trials that I know the jurors have to be bored many times during the process.

Fortunately, I get in, give my testimony, and get out.