View Full Version : Unusual Facts......

Keith
06-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a bellybutton.

A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 yrs.

People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.

When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop ...

even your heart. This is why people have always said "God bless you" after a sneeze.

Only 7% of the population are lefties.

40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.

Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.

The average person over fifty will have spent 5 years waiting in lines.

The toothbrush was invented in 1498.

The average housefly lives for one month.

40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year. Don't ask how.

A coat hanger is 44 inches long when straightened.

The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.

Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.

The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning it's head are the rabbit and the parrot.

Among the music catalogues that Michael Jackson owns the rights to, is the South Carolina State anthem.

In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.

Prince Charles and Prince William NEVER travel on the same airplane just in case there is a crash.

The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato can for a carburetor.

Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. They are reused in vein transplant surgery.

Humphrey Bogart and Princess Diana were seventh cousins.

If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green

MadMonk
06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
How the heck does one NOT have a belly button?

SoonerDave
06-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Unusual? Yes. Facts? Not so much....

Alfred Hitchcock most certainly was born with a belly button. There are unsubstantiated rumors that subsequent surgeries eventually eliminated it.

>People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.

Neither is true. You get sick from viruses, whether indoors or outdoors.

>When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop ... even your heart. This is why people have always said "God bless you" after a sneeze.

No, it isn't. Your heart doesn't stop during a sneeze. The origins of saying "God Bless You" after sneezing are multiple and somewhat overlapping, and date back to times in which people believed a sneeze was 1) a manifestation of an evil spirit exiting the body, 2) a sign of pending affliction with plague, 3) foretelling of good luck (and others...source, www.snopes.com)

>Only 7% of the population are lefties.

Actually, the figure is about 10% (source, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed)

>Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.

Only half true; babies are, indeed, born with kneecaps. They don't typically appear on an X-ray because they have not developed sufficient density (ossification) to show up. The true absence of a kneecap is a medical condition called Nail Patella Syndrome (source, numerous)

>40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.

Backwards. One person is sent to the hospital every 40 seconds. (source, Nevada state department of agriculture, referencing US CDC statistics at http://agri.state.nv.us/Animal2_dog_bite_videos.htm)

>In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.

This depends upon what is being sold in the advertisement. If literal milk is being advertised, eg from a dairy, then anything represented to be milk *must* be actual milk. However, if something like cereal or cookies are the actual subject of the advertisement, the "milk" in the bowl (or glass) can be phony as stated. (Source, me. I just happen to know that from reading about advertising, FCC and truth-in-advertising rules).

>Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. They are reused in vein transplant surgery.

Not so. Umbilical cords are generally too large for vein transplants and, for such a purpose, would carry with them a variety of medical risks that render such use a practical impossibility. Most are simply discarded after birth as a waste product. (source, various).

>If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.

Untrue. Never been green. (source, www.snopes.com/cokelore/green.asp)

-SoonerDave

Keith
06-14-2006, 05:07 AM
Unusual? Yes. Facts? Not so much....

Alfred Hitchcock most certainly was born with a belly button. There are unsubstantiated rumors that subsequent surgeries eventually eliminated it.

>People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors a lot more.

Neither is true. You get sick from viruses, whether indoors or outdoors.

>When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop ... even your heart. This is why people have always said "God bless you" after a sneeze.

No, it isn't. Your heart doesn't stop during a sneeze. The origins of saying "God Bless You" after sneezing are multiple and somewhat overlapping, and date back to times in which people believed a sneeze was 1) a manifestation of an evil spirit exiting the body, 2) a sign of pending affliction with plague, 3) foretelling of good luck (and others...source, www.snopes.com (http://www.snopes.com))

>Only 7% of the population are lefties.

Actually, the figure is about 10% (source, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handed)

>Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they are 2-6 years old.

Only half true; babies are, indeed, born with kneecaps. They don't typically appear on an X-ray because they have not developed sufficient density (ossification) to show up. The true absence of a kneecap is a medical condition called Nail Patella Syndrome (source, numerous)

>40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.

Backwards. One person is sent to the hospital every 40 seconds. (source, Nevada state department of agriculture, referencing US CDC statistics at http://agri.state.nv.us/Animal2_dog_bite_videos.htm)

>In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.

This depends upon what is being sold in the advertisement. If literal milk is being advertised, eg from a dairy, then anything represented to be milk *must* be actual milk. However, if something like cereal or cookies are the actual subject of the advertisement, the "milk" in the bowl (or glass) can be phony as stated. (Source, me. I just happen to know that from reading about advertising, FCC and truth-in-advertising rules).

>Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut from women who give birth. They are reused in vein transplant surgery.

Not so. Umbilical cords are generally too large for vein transplants and, for such a purpose, would carry with them a variety of medical risks that render such use a practical impossibility. Most are simply discarded after birth as a waste product. (source, various).

>If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.

Untrue. Never been green. (source, www.snopes.com/cokelore/green.asp (http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/green.asp))

-SoonerDave
Wow...shot me down....Oh well.....it did make you look all of this stuff up, huh? I certainly didn't have the time to. I'm glad somebody else did, though.

Oki_Man5
06-14-2006, 05:25 AM
I thought it was more entertaining as it was originally posted, and what world of difference did it make whether it were correct or not?

MadMonk
06-14-2006, 06:00 AM
I guess it gives you less small talk subjects to bring up at cocktail parties. :D

sweetdaisy
06-14-2006, 11:05 AM
I thought it was more entertaining as it was originally posted, and what world of difference did it make whether it were correct or not?

Well, a person wouldn't want to go around quoting random, useless trivia and be dead wrong. :D

SoonerDave
06-14-2006, 01:33 PM
*sigh* I didn't mean to offend anyone by posting the corrections. They were presented as facts, and many of them were *not* facts, so I just corrected them, that's all. Put another way, why *wouldn't* you want to correct errant information?

The Internet is chock-full of urban legends, myths, misinterpreted half-right truths, and for whatever reason many people take them as fact merely for their having been posted on the Internet. I see no point in propagating incorrect information if there exists at least an opportunity to correct it and post a source for the repudiating info. (BTW, www.snopes.com is an *awesome* site for this purpose.)

Many of the items in the list were, in fact, correct/verifiable. As I said, no offense to the OP was intended at all.

I will say that I did not research the "40,000 toilet injuries" item. :)

-SoonerDave

Oki_Man5
06-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Well, a person wouldn't want to go around quoting random, useless trivia and be dead wrong. :D

Well, apparently Keith did, but I simply said it was more entertaining; I had no intent of memorizing them and go out quoting them. Which emoticon is a "snarl"? LOL

And the corrections did not offend me, but I would never have checked them out.

Too, I done forgot what they were. LOL

sweetdaisy
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Oh, I planned on being able to recite all of those at the next party I go to. NOT.

I do still want to know about the toilet injuries!

Oki_Man5
06-15-2006, 05:13 PM
SweetDaisy, you must go to some deeeeeeeeepppppppp-thinking parties, huh?