View Full Version : Question about Sign Ordinances

OKCLeader
06-12-2006, 01:33 PM
The question for this week comes from Steven Newlon, Executive Director of Alliance of Emerging Professionals

Question:
I was curious as to what the city is doing to crack down on the exploding epidemic of illegal signs popping up all over the city in public right-of-ways. The problem is growing rapidly and is at an all time high. On top of that political season is right around the corner. If cities like Austin, Portland, and Seattle can crack down on litter and illegal signage why can’t we?

My answer:
The Planning Department has two inspectors who work to collect illegal signs in the right of way. Last year they removed an estimated 55,000 illegal signs.

Last month, I established an ad hoc committee to make recommendations to further address the issue. I look forward to reviewing their recommendations.

Illegal signs in the right of way are an issue. I 'd be happy to listen to any suggestions. I'll leave this thread open; feel free to reply with your suggestions here. Thanks.

p.s. Political signs on private property are not illegal.

The Old Downtown Guy
06-14-2006, 09:05 AM
IMO, the businesses and individuals that put signs in the r-o-w think that even though the signs will be there just a few days, the return may be worth the associated expense. It probably isn't worth it, and there aren't many offenders that continue the process for very long. So, there are new players hitting the streets almost every day. Since we are confronted with an almost endless stream of new signs, it seems to me that we need to both increase the resources removing the signs and make some effort to interrupt the process of placing the signs.

1. Would it be possible for the Solid Waste Department to institute a policy that on a daily basis, each collection truck would stop at the first intersection it encountered that has signs in the r-o-w and remove all of those signs? Only one intersection cleaned up each day per truck over time, would make a big impact on the problem. The signs wouldn't stay in the ground very long and like graffiti, the less there is the less attraction there is for new signs.

In the case where waste collection is done by contractors, a requirement to remove signs could be added to the contract upon renewal for a minimal cost.

2. I seldom see anyone placing signs during the day. I think that most of the work is done at night when there is less auto traffic to deal with. Since it is the act of placing the sign in the r-o-w that is illegal, couldn't our police patrols be aware that they should at least stop the practice where they encounter it? People putting signs along the street are pretty highly visible to anyone driving by. The offenders could be instructed to go back and remove all the signs they have placed and if they have been hired to place the signs, the officer could obtain that information and pass it along to an inspector who could then contact the responsible party and advise them of the illegal nature of placing the signs in the r-o-w.

I am aware that the Police Department is very likely to look down its nose at being asked to participate in helping to enforce our ordinances against such a petty offense, but I see this as similar to the theory of preventing the first broken window in a rough neighborhood and immediately fixing that first broken window to prevent further deterioration.