View Full Version : IKEA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Luke
06-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Those of you familiar with the hip, economical, environmentally friendly home decór and furniture store will be pleased to hear what one of the Frisco IKEA customer representative told me on the phone today. I had to order a spare part for one of the products I purchased there last week and while talking with one of the service reps I said that I think IKEA should consider putting a location in Oklahoma City. She said that IKEA is planning to put one in OKC, but no time frame was set yet. I double checked and asked again to confirm. "So, they're going to put one here?" And she said yes, but that she didn't know when.

This is great news. As competitive as OKC's furniture market is, IKEA would fit right in out on Reno. If you get a chance to go to the one in Frisco (30-45 minutes north of Dallas) then go! Their stores are massive...I mean, huge. If you follow the walkway through the whole store, it's seriously close to a mile long. It's a ton of fun though.

Check out www.ikea.com to get an idea of what kind of cool stuff they have.

OklaCity_75
06-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Those of you familiar with the hip, economical, environmentally friendly home decór and furniture store will be pleased to hear what one of the Frisco IKEA customer representative told me on the phone today. I had to order a spare part for one of the products I purchased there last week and while talking with one of the service reps I said that I think IKEA should consider putting a location in Oklahoma City. She said that IKEA is planning to put one in OKC, but no time frame was set yet. I double checked and asked again to confirm. "So, they're going to put one here?" And she said yes, but that she didn't know when.

This is great news. As competitive as OKC's furniture market is, IKEA would fit right in out on Reno. If you get a chance to go to the one in Frisco (30-45 minutes north of Dallas) then go! Their stores are massive...I mean, huge. If you follow the walkway through the whole store, it's seriously close to a mile long. It's a ton of fun though.

Check out www.ikea.com (http://www.ikea.com) to get an idea of what kind of cool stuff they have.

I agree that IKEA is a good thing for OKC I just see them adding a store on Memorial before moving to furniture row. They would need almost as much room as Gardenridge if not a larger parcel.

Who knows they may by the land White Water is on.

I think once IKEA comes to town, OKC might see some of the larger chains move in.

mranderson
06-12-2006, 07:39 AM
I agree that IKEA is a good thing for OKC I just see them adding a store on Memorial before moving to furniture row. They would need almost as much room as Gardenridge if not a larger parcel.

Who knows they may by the land White Water is on.

I think once IKEA comes to town, OKC might see some of the larger chains move in.

Will this company have a location here? It is hard to say. I have had people in stores I wanted to see here tell me they were planning Oklahoma City locations because most people insist on telling a person what they want to hear instead of the truth. As it turns out, usually, no location comes here.

This one in particular? I doubt it. Why? With the domination of the brothers Mathis, Bob Mills, et al, major chains will not invest in Oklahoma City because they know they can not make a profit here.

Do not hold your breath.

floater
06-12-2006, 08:43 AM
I would love for that to happen, but I am a little skeptical too. IKEA has a selective location process that relies on a very large market area. They won't put a store in Cleveland because it's two and half hours away from Pittsburgh. We're three hours away from Frisco, so we'd be at the edge of the market area. My guess is that we wouldn't get a store, but who knows -- OKC could represent the Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas markets. There's not even one in Missouri! You'd think there'd be one in KC or St. Louis before OKC.

BDP
06-12-2006, 10:38 AM
I probably wouldn't get our your hex wrench set just yet, but IKEA could be reaching the point of model shift to reach more intermediate markets. Companies usually have to do this as they max out their sales growth potential in the major markets.

I think there is room in the furniture market here for an IKEA. Despite the glut of square footage on Reno dedicated to furniture, none really sell stylish furniture at good prices, which is what IKEA does almost exclusively. The cheap stuff at those places looks cheap and their assembly required furniture is as ugly as it gets. We have a large furniture presence here, but pretty much if you want style at a price, it's near impossible to find.

A location on Memorial in the turnpike system would easily serve Tulsa and the rest of Oklahoma as well. Again, it's not as big as they're used to, but I think there is a void in this market wide open for them if they want it.

metro
06-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Yes, I'd love to have an IKEA here. We're thinking about going down to the Frisco store and dropping a bunch of money on new stuff but I'd rather keep that money in state if we're getting one here. I don't think Reno Ave. will give IKEA a run for it's money. It caters to a certain market niche not previously catered to in Oklahoma. The closest thing we have is Suburban and Directions in furniture. Both that can get pricey fast, especially Suburban. IKEA serves more of the "Target vs. Wal-Mart" type customer.

The Old Downtown Guy
06-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Perhaps IKEA can move into the Bass Pro Building after their deal runs out of steam. That would be a great spot for IKEA and much more in keeping with the area.

John
06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
This one in particular? I doubt it. Why? With the domination of the brothers Mathis, Bob Mills, et al, major chains will not invest in Oklahoma City because they know they can not make a profit here.

Do not hold your breath.

IKEA attracts a totally different demographic than any of the stores currently in place in the Reno area.

I could see them setting up somewhere north on Broadway Extention or even in the infill area between the current and new I-40.

BDP
06-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Perhaps IKEA can move into the Bass Pro Building after their deal runs out of steam. That would be a great spot for IKEA and much more in keeping with the area.

YES, ODG! Now we're thinking. We could even loan them the money for the remodel and to get rid of that fishy smell.

fromdust
06-12-2006, 08:50 PM

Do not hold your breath.

i actually read about that, cant belive pier 1 manages to survive.

okcpulse
06-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Only because Pier 1 has been in Oklahoma City since the early 1980s. They have built a loyal following, albeit not that large.

BDP
06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
When did "Mathis Bros., Bob Mills, et al" arrive?

Pottery Barn is here too.

The Old Downtown Guy
06-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Mathis Brothers goes back decades and was started by the grandfathers of the present front guys Bill & Don. Their first store was on Reno Street, near downtown; "The $588.00 Factory Home Pack" and "Those Fire Blazin' Prices". There were three active brothers then that were Bill & Don's Fathers and Uncles. That Mathis bunch had their own TV C&W Music show for many years. A C&W music team of Jude and Jody was involved with the Brothers for years, and later went out on their own with a similar low end operation on Soutwest 25th or SW 29th Street that I think is still in open. There's also another brother or cousin, Roger Mathis that has a seperate bedding and furniture operation on Reno.

The original Bros. made most of their money financing the furniture bought in their store, and I'm guessing that a major chunk of current Mathis Brothers profits come from the same place. Big Red Furniture, later Evans had the same look and approach with different lines. I thought I heard that Evans was bought out by Mathis.

Bob Mills is a more recent entrant into the furniture game at price points just below Mathis. Mills is also relying on owner personal appearance advertising in massive quantities and long term financing to make money. Mills is now also in the Amarillo market.

As Mathis Brothers added to their Designer Gallery Lines, like Henredon, Thomasville etc. they have increased their market share at the expense of smaller operators like Bruno's, Mr. Robert in Norman, Locke (now closed),Housley Brothers, Ballenger's etc. Mathis Bros. sells lots of furniture around OKC and the entire state, but I don't see that they would be in competition with IKEA. If IKEA doesn't choose to open in OKC, I would guess it would be based on total demographics, not the size or players in the traditional furniture market.

Most all OKC furniture operations have followed the Mathis Bros. and moved to the I-40 - Reno - Portland area, but there are still some operations that havn't opted for a presence in Furniture Land, Bruno's most notably still at 36th and Western. Also, I noticed that Housley's has reoccupied their building on NW Expwy. just west of Classen.

I think there is plenty of market here for an IKEA and also good potential for a Modern Furniture Store like Smink in Dallas or S.R.Hughes in Tulsa, which has outfitted the Grant Humphrey's Block 42 showroom on Broadway.

SoonerDave
06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
The original Mathis furniture store was on Western just south of I-40. The original Evans was farther south on Western, just north of the bridge near the softball parks. There was also a furniture store called "House of Ideas" just south of Mathis on the east side of Western. The area has deteriorated and obviously nothing furniture-related is there any longer. The original Mathis site, after housing everything from boats to trailers and everything in between, was renovated about five (or fewer) years ago and is now an industrial/manufacturing site.

Jude and Jody's Furniture store still quietly hums in what is an increasingly bad area at SW 29th and Walker. Jude Northcutt passed away some time ago, and I believe his son now runs the store. Scuttlebutt is that the store has rather substantial contracts with various local hotels/motels to provide modest-quality (to be generous) bedding, mattresses, and related amenities. That's why J&J has virtually no advertising presence and maintains only a token floor/display space. No offense intended to any J&J customers here, but what little they do display for retail sale is abominable.

I've understood that the two Mathis guys we've all come to have etched in our heads aren't, in fact, brothers; they're actually cousins that endeavor to propagate the notion that they are siblings because of the Mathis' name/heritage in the city. I don't know for a fact if that is true.

Mathis did, indeed, acquire Evans about three years ago and promptly shut them down. They retained the name for the large Evans showroom on Reno under the moniker of "Evans Rooms Today," which I still don't understand, because their stock appears to be just about identical to Mathis Bros' stock, and I think everyone and their dog knows its really Mathis Bros' furniture.

I, for one, am glad to see traditional names like Ethan Allen making a comeback in the area. After a dubious flirtation with trendy, pop designs with lots of glass and chrome (which predictably failed and has been discontinued), they're returning to their roots and going back to high quality traditional furniture which was their stock in trade...

-SoonerDave

BDP
06-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Wow. You guys sure know your OKC furniture retailer history. Thanks. I'm starting to wonder what you guys know about me.... ;)

Anyway, it still seems to me that there's not much behind the idea that the Reno furniture nation precludes an IKEA successfully locating here. Yes, Reno cheap stuff and they have some high end stuff, but they don't have tredy or stylish furntiture at affordable prices. I think IKEA would fit in nicely with our current furniture mix.

And I'm not even a huge IKEA fan, but I don't see where that market is being served here. The only question is whether that market exists here.

rxis
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
My parents bought a lot of furniture from Mathis Brothers. Hate the service and the hassle of multiple returns. Anyway, my so buys most of her furniture from Pottery Barn. They normally have to get shipped in.
I agree with John. It's a different market segment.

mranderson
06-13-2006, 03:45 PM
The original Mathis furniture store was on Western just south of I-40. The original Evans was farther south on Western, just north of the bridge near the softball parks. There was also a furniture store called "House of Ideas" just south of Mathis on the east side of Western. The area has deteriorated and obviously nothing furniture-related is there any longer. The original Mathis site, after housing everything from boats to trailers and everything in between, was renovated about five (or fewer) years ago and is now an industrial/manufacturing site.

Jude and Jody's Furniture store still quietly hums in what is an increasingly bad area at SW 29th and Walker. Jude Northcutt passed away some time ago, and I believe his son now runs the store. Scuttlebutt is that the store has rather substantial contracts with various local hotels/motels to provide modest-quality (to be generous) bedding, mattresses, and related amenities. That's why J&J has virtually no advertising presence and maintains only a token floor/display space. No offense intended to any J&J customers here, but what little they do display for retail sale is abominable.

I've understood that the two Mathis guys we've all come to have etched in our heads aren't, in fact, brothers; they're actually cousins that endeavor to propagate the notion that they are siblings because of the Mathis' name/heritage in the city. I don't know for a fact if that is true.

Mathis did, indeed, acquire Evans about three years ago and promptly shut them down. They retained the name for the large Evans showroom on Reno under the moniker of "Evans Rooms Today," which I still don't understand, because their stock appears to be just about identical to Mathis Bros' stock, and I think everyone and their dog knows its really Mathis Bros' furniture.

I, for one, am glad to see traditional names like Ethan Allen making a comeback in the area. After a dubious flirtation with trendy, pop designs with lots of glass and chrome (which predictably failed and has been discontinued), they're returning to their roots and going back to high quality traditional furniture which was their stock in trade...

-SoonerDave

Actaully, the ORIGINAL Mathis Brothers store was on Reno somewhere near what is now Myriad Gardens. They moved to 301 S Western in the early 60's. Bud and Don Mathis were the founders and ran the store until Bill and Larry bought it some years later. Bud and Don are the one's who built the current location, however, it was subsantually smaller.

How can Jude be dead when he is still doing commercials? You may be thinking of a relative of Jude's named Pervy Northcutt who died in 1968 or 69. Pervy's widow was my quazi Grandmother, and to this day, is the one elderly woman I think walks on water. Pervy lived next door to me from the time he and Bea were married until his death.

The information on Evans is correct, however. BTW. The reason it is "Evan's Rooms Today" is because Mathis owns it now and they also want the Evans name associated with that location. They may drop the Evans in the near future, however.

metro
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Ikea

The Old Downtown Guy
06-13-2006, 04:17 PM
I believe that the Evans location just off the tracks on Western started out as Big Red Furniture and Larry Evans was either the store manager or the son of the owner. I think they also tried a location at 23rd and Walker which wasn't successful. I think there was quite a rivalry between Mathis and Big Red for a while, but Mathis left them in the dust.

mranderson
06-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Although it was replying to other people's posts, we are off track. can we either move these posts to a thread called Oklahoma City furniture history or get back on topic, please?

SoonerDave
06-13-2006, 10:22 PM
mranderson

Sorry for the confusion re Jude Northcutt. I was thinking of his wife, whom I believe died from cancer a few years ago.

Just to keep it officially "on thread" so the topic police don't get twitchy, I don't care one way or the other about IKEA :)

-SoonerDave

MadMonk
06-14-2006, 06:06 AM
I've never been in one, but it seems like an interesting store.

BDP
06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Please don't move or rename the thread. An examination of the furniture market here, past and present, is entirely relevant to the possibility and potential success of a new entrant to the market.

Luke
06-14-2006, 05:19 PM
IKEA has a unique market on which no current furniture store has the corner. Directions in Furniture or Dane Design may be somewhat comparable. But IKEA's pricing and wide product range cannot be compared to anything in the current market.

metro
06-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Yes, I disagree as well. It is irrelevant because it is an underserved demographic, and barely served at that, especially at their price range.

Midtowner
06-15-2006, 02:24 PM
They'll do fine. Furniture is one of the highest markup products around. If they can move a decent amount of inventory, profits will come quickly.

misterman
06-27-2007, 07:37 AM
It would be cool to have IKEA, but OKC is too small a market and doesn't have the population required for IKEA to locate here. Most large chains or businesses have standards set up like that. I don't believe IKEA would ever come to Oklahoma based on this alone.

A couple of years ago, the furniture businesses in Dallas actually kept Mathis from moving in even though they had purchased property there. Dallas didn't want to water down their market with the "Mathis Brothers discount mentality"...believe it or not...but OKC is a great place to shop...prices are lower than just about anywhere else!

Also, even though OKC should have a broader base of styles and price points, we are still a more traditional market. Contemporary furniture is rising in popularity, but we're not there yet. And for the price point, most people are driving to Frisco with trucks and trailers, picking up furniture and bringing it back home. It is still cost effective.

Also, now that Directions in Furniture has closed, there really is no place even remotely similar to IKEA. Both Dane Design and Suburban are more sleek and high-end, where IKEA is lower priced and lower quality. You have to be very careful what you purchase at IKEA - you do get what you pay for.

Target actually has alot of things very close to the styling and price of an IKEA, just not the amount of items.

CuatrodeMayo
06-27-2007, 07:45 AM
most people are driving to Frisco with trucks and trailers, picking up furniture and bringing it back home.

That was ME!

Karried
06-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Me too! My good friend and I went there and purchased thousands of dollars worth of furniture for her salons.... mirrors, stations, shelving, etc etc... you should have seen the teenage boys trying to tie it all down in a Dodge truck ..it was so packed!

I was freaking out the entire way home.. I have a pic somewhere.. it was amazing to see. I still can't believe we managed to fit it all in and make it home safely. It would have been so nice just to have one near by.

Luke
06-27-2007, 09:02 AM
My wife and I also usually make a trip or two down to Frisco each year and buy lots of stuff.

Sounds like this IKEA rumor is dead in the water though...

:(

Midtowner
06-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Why dead in the water? Corporations don't think in terms of single years... they project out 5 to 10 years. OKC could be as far as a decade away from having an IKEA store, but it'd still be "planned."

Drake
06-27-2007, 11:38 AM
There is place in on Broadway in Edmond called Home Decoraters Collection. They are actually a Home Depot Company. They have a website.

They carry a segment of furniture that is very close to what Directions in Furniture carried. Prices are very reasonable also.

OKBound
06-27-2007, 02:29 PM
We bought a new table at World Market here in Plano, but didn't want to pay the high price for the matching chairs. So we went to the IKEA here in Frisco and it was great. We bought 6 chairs and they were very easy to assemble.

We are looking at getting their Billy bookcases and a leather loveseat and 2 matching chairs when we get settled into our new home in Edmond. Great prices, and you get a choice of colors/stains, even glass doors can be added to the bookcases. Most of their furniture is a bit too modern for my tastes, but there are some items that I do like.

Even if IKEA does confirm that a store is to be located in OKC area, it will take a long time before it is actually open. If my memory is correct, I think it took almost 2 years from the announcement to the grand opening for the store here in Frisco.

Tip: for those who are going to venture down to Frisco to buy, go during the week if at all possible. It is still a zoo on the weekends and even more so when the Frisco RoughRiders(Ranger's AA team) have a game, since IKEA shares their parking lot. And wear your sneakers!!

cedbled
06-27-2007, 03:16 PM
There is place in on Broadway in Edmond called Home Decoraters Collection. They are actually a Home Depot Company. They have a website.

They carry a segment of furniture that is very close to what Directions in Furniture carried. Prices are very reasonable also.

Man, that stuff looks nothing like IKEA, at all! And it damn sure doesn't look like what Dir in Furn used to have....we have too many people here in the metro now, for us not to have more than 2-3 of the most basic styles of furniture...Case in point:
How many damn times in the last 2 days have you seen the same stupid 2-tone (light /drk brown) sofa set on commercials?? The first 15 times I saw the couch, I actually liked it, but every store has it's version of the same sofa. That's bull....

metro
06-27-2007, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the heads up Drake. I knew about this place, but didn't know they sold affordable modern furniture.

Drake
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Man, that stuff looks nothing like IKEA, at all! And it damn sure doesn't look like what Dir in Furn used to have....we have too many people here in the metro now, for us not to have more than 2-3 of the most basic styles of furniture...Case in point:
How many damn times in the last 2 days have you seen the same stupid 2-tone (light /drk brown) sofa set on commercials?? The first 15 times I saw the couch, I actually liked it, but every store has it's version of the same sofa. That's bull....

Ced -

Well, thanks for the opinion. As someone who had shopped at Directions in Furniture and purchased from both, I feel qualified to speak on the subject.

HDC carries a broad range of furniture, but their SOHO collection is very similar to DiF. I did not mention IKEA.

The rear portion of the store on Broadway is all their modern furniture.

Soho Vega Sofa I - Living Room Furniture - Sofa - Modern Seating | HomeDecorators.com (http://www.homedecorators.com/P/Soho_Vega_Sofa_I/840/).

Check this out as an example.

dismayed
06-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Home Decorators strikes me as a place that tries to do modern contemporary but misses the mark. I get the same feeling at Suburban.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-27-2007, 08:40 PM

I don't think this would be a good idea, I think new development in lower bricktown should be reserved for either smaller retail or entertainment. The Bass Pro Shop in its current location is such a waste anyhow. A spot up on Memorial might be more appropriate with what is already there. Most other IKEAs in the country are not in "downtown" areas, they are off highways near cities.

Eh I'm skeptical too about IKEA moving in, its not on their "coming soon" list, so we'll just have to wait and see. Its nice to walk around, but the furniture quality is sub-par (well, you get what you pay for), and its annoying when you want to fix things and need to special order parts.

One of the things I do like about IKEA is the food court - the gravlox, swedish meatballs, and Panzarotti (its a deep fried calzone, a New Jersey local fav, since the first IKEA in the US was in Elizabeth, NJ they sell them at all the IKEA food courts). Yum yum!

tnajk
06-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Has anyone toyed with the idea that this is one of the large stores that is being reqruited for the Edmond, Covell shipping mall/Convention Center/Hotel? That developer is the very same to develop some of the shopping areas in and around Frisco. (SIMON)

Hmmm, I'm thinking it's definately a possibility!

metro
06-27-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't think this would be a good idea, I think new development in lower bricktown should be reserved for either smaller retail or entertainment. The Bass Pro Shop in its current location is such a waste anyhow. A spot up on Memorial might be more appropriate with what is already there. Most other IKEAs in the country are not in "downtown" areas, they are off highways near cities.

Eh I'm skeptical too about IKEA moving in, its not on their "coming soon" list, so we'll just have to wait and see. Its nice to walk around, but the furniture quality is sub-par (well, you get what you pay for), and its annoying when you want to fix things and need to special order parts.

One of the things I do like about IKEA is the food court - the gravlox, swedish meatballs, and Panzarotti (its a deep fried calzone, a New Jersey local fav, since the first IKEA in the US was in Elizabeth, NJ they sell them at all the IKEA food courts). Yum yum!

I somewhat disagree. I'd much rather see IKEA in Lower Bricktown instead of Bass Pro if we're going to have a big box retailer down there. It would certainly help attract and retain the type of crowd we're going for downtown versus the average Bass Pro customer. Midtown Atlanta has a big box IKEA that is a major draw in the Atlantic Station area of Midtown Atlanta. Midtown Atlanta is more urban looking and has more skyscrapers than all of downtown OKC. So with that being said, I don't think it would be too bad of a thing.

BG918
06-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Would love to see IKEA instead of Bass Pro, hell anything would be better than that thing. I've bought LOTS of contemporary furniture at Suburban, but it is on the expensive side. IKEA is much more economical. As contemporary design continues to gain in popularity in OKC I could see them relocating here, as well as Design Within Reach, probably somewhere downtown...

misterman
06-27-2007, 10:47 PM
Home Decorators Collection is very odd...all the furniture is too trendy and the scale is way off. Is it just me? It looks like furniture you can buy in those little catalogues you used to get in the mail.

Drake
06-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Didn't mean start a debate about the worthiness of HDC. Just trying to give heads up on a furniture option that we seem to have a very limited selection here in the OKC metro area.

We just kind of wandered in there and no idea they even carried anything like that.

brianinok
10-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Interestingly, in my email today, the following add popped up. I doubt it means anything, but it is still interesting....

http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=1156653ad384d6ff

NikonNurse
10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
can't see it.

tnajk
10-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, me either.

redcup
10-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I would love IKEA to be here. One day I checked out ALL of the stores surrounding Mathis Brothers and had to admit MB had the most to choose from and the best, but still not my style. I visited San Francisco in April and told my son that I wanted to check out the IKEA store before I left. LOL

I loved it, but got claustrophobia in the lower area, all that stuff and it seemed no way to get out. I did find a way out fast and waited for my shopper family to find me sitting outside, fanning myself. I may drive to Frisco to check them out.

I really think IKEA could make it here. Perhaps, a store that is not quite on the grand scale of the San Fran. one, but who knows for sure.

bdub02
10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Would love to see IKEA instead of Bass Pro, hell anything would be better than that thing. I've bought LOTS of contemporary furniture at Suburban, but it is on the expensive side. IKEA is much more economical. As contemporary design continues to gain in popularity in OKC I could see them relocating here, as well as Design Within Reach, probably somewhere downtown...

Bass Pro should have located elsewhere in the city, maybe NW Expressway or along I-40 west of I-44. I have nothing against them being in OKC, just downtown is not the place.

And lets not put IKEA downtown. That would be an eyesore there if its anything like the one in Houston on I-10.

NikonNurse
10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Just spent too much money in the Frisco Tx one today..on the way back from OU texas.

bombermwc
06-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Its been a while since we talked about this. I heard someone mention it at my office not long ago, but with the "no time line" thing. So it sounds like the Frisco store is continuing to tell the OKC folks about a store, but nothig is happening.

You'd be surprised how many OKC folks take a truck/trailer down there for a trip. It's a great way to avoid the butt fleas at mathis brothers.

metro
06-05-2008, 10:54 AM
that and you get more modern looking furniture, get to hack it ikea hacker (http://ikeahacker.blogspot.com/), and frankly you still come out ahead if you buy enough versus paying to have it shipped.

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I am planning to make a trip this August after we move into the new place.

Blazerfan11
06-05-2008, 11:36 AM
They make good, affordable stuff.

samsims
06-05-2008, 11:48 AM
If it's true that Ikea locate a store in OKC, than rock on! Let's just say I'm not holding my breath at this point. Man, that would be cool. Been traveling to Houston (now Frisco of late) to fullfill my Ikea wants for too long now. :)

edcrunk
06-05-2008, 03:13 PM
i just can't see ikea considering okc. we don't have a plethora of 30,000 dollar millionaires with their leased beemers like dee eff dub does... and they just recently got one. taking in consideration the type of my friends in dallas that would buy ikea and the people i saw shopping in the burbank store, i just don't see a large demographic of those types of folks here. our driving industries here are energy, healthcare and aviation...

CuatrodeMayo
06-05-2008, 03:28 PM
Millionaires (or wannabes) are not IKEA's target. They may shop there, but that is not what IKEA is geared towards.

edcrunk
06-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Millionaires (or wannabes) are not IKEA's target. They may shop there, but that is not what IKEA is geared towards.
cuatro, my dear friend, a thirty thousand dollar millionaire is a condescending term that snobby californians use to describe (typically young) people who get their first $30,000 job, go out and buy or lease a benz or beemer and live above their means. i've had folks in california tell me dallas is the land of TTDM

John
06-05-2008, 04:38 PM
30 Thousand Dollar Millionaire - The lifesyle you can wear! (http://www.30kdm.com)

I saw they just added a shirt directed at us. (OKC)

Chicken In The Rough
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't think Mathis has anything to worry about. IKEA serves a completely different market segment. They carry inexpensive, build-it-yourself, disposible, modern, loft furniture. You won't find the kind of quality that Mathis carries in an IKEA. IKEA is trendy and fun, but the novelty has worn thin with me. I have bought stuff at IKEA and have been disappointed in its quality. It's the Wal-Mart of furniture and home decor.

edcrunk
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
30 Thousand Dollar Millionaire - The lifesyle you can wear! (http://www.30kdm.com)

I saw they just added a shirt directed at us. (OKC)

bwahahahah! those shirts are awesome!

i especially like the KEEP DALLAS PRETENTIOUS! hah, take that austin.

i'm gonna have to buy that, the "okc supersooners" and the "i got shot in deep ellum" tee