View Full Version : What league should OKC go after next?

Pages : [1] 2

Patrick
06-09-2006, 07:28 AM
nm

okcpulse
06-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Oklahoma City can only support one franchise at this time, however, ten years from now should Oklahoma City's MSA reach 2 million or more (may not be likely, but let's say) then I believe MLB will be our next bet. NHL experiences too much volatility, MLS doesn't hold a lot of ground, the NFL is just too expensive unless we hit 3 million MSA residents.

mranderson
06-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Oklahoma City can only support one franchise at this time, however, ten years from now should Oklahoma City's MSA reach 2 million or more (may not be likely, but let's say) then I believe MLB will be our next bet. NHL experiences too much volatility, MLS doesn't hold a lot of ground, the NFL is just too expensive unless we hit 3 million MSA residents.

Try telling this to the NFL. Although Los Angeles will get the next team, the league is looking at Oklahoma City very seriously for expansion. We have been a finalist twice. Once in 1968 for the Buffalo Bills who stayed after getting a new stadium, and the other when the Cardinals moved to Arizona. The team wanted to move here, however, the team and OU would not agree to leasing terms for the stadium.

okcpulse
06-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Why am I just now finding this out?

metro
06-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Why don't you think MLS would be viable here. It almost happened before and COULD be supported. Not to mention the exploding Hispanic population here that would also support it. I think it is more realistic than any other league, more than MLB or NFL.

Doug Loudenback
06-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Patrick, I didn't vote since NBA was not a choice. I fully expect the Hornets to return to NOLA after next season. As for me, I'd prefer to "hold out" for some NBA team, Hornets or other, since I'm not inclined to be interested in the other choices that you offered. That's just me.

Luke
06-24-2006, 12:34 AM
MLS or NFL I think would fly here. And yes, I think an NFL team in OKC would have a following much like the Hornets and OU have... passionate. Oklahoma loves their sports teams.

Development should focus on downtown and the river. With all the land by the river, a stadium (MLS or NFL) would be a great addition. How fun would that be!?

metro
07-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind for the naysayers of MLS, the Hispanic population is the fastest growing and already the biggest minority in the US. In 5-10 years this will be a significant portion of the population. Hispanics and the rest of the world are avid soccer(futbol') fans.

traxx
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Hispanics may be big soccer fans and a growing population, but for the most part they don't have the income to purchase tickets, especially season tickets for a professional sport. I'm not saying all hispanics are poor so don't play the race card. It's just been my experience that most the hispanics that I come in contact with cannot afford it. The ones I come in contact with have jobs (hotel cleaning, grounds crew, restuarant work, etc.) that barely afford them a living wage let alone a disposable income for season tickets. When they're on WIC and programs like that, they have more pressing issues with money than supporting a pro team.

And I don't see the rest of OKC supporting a major league soccer team either. Soccer here has a niche fan base at best. In Oklahoma (and I'm going to go out on a limb here and include the whole US) soccer will only be a niche sport. And don't come at me with a bunch of stats and "me and everyone I know loves soccer" statements. I think the evidence is clear. If Americans had that big of an interest in soccer then, the MLS league would have caught on by now, it's been around long enough now. The majority of Americans don't get soccer and they don't want to get it.

Midtowner
08-30-2006, 07:40 PM
MLS or NFL I think would fly here. And yes, I think an NFL team in OKC would have a following much like the Hornets and OU have... passionate. Oklahoma loves their sports teams.

Development should focus on downtown and the river. With all the land by the river, a stadium (MLS or NFL) would be a great addition. How fun would that be!?

Boren (Pres. @ OU) would never allow this to occur. He has a lot of influence in state politics. The football program at OU generates an amazing amount of revenue for the university, and you had better believe an NFL team would dip into that market share.

Once Boren retires, maybe you can talk, but that guy could be around for another 20 years.

mranderson
08-31-2006, 03:31 AM
Boren (Pres. @ OU) would never allow this to occur. He has a lot of influence in state politics. The football program at OU generates an amazing amount of revenue for the university, and you had better believe an NFL team would dip into that market share.

Once Boren retires, maybe you can talk, but that guy could be around for another 20 years.

It amazes me the number of people who think they can predict the future until the end of time. Never is a long time.

Oh. By the way. These are the same people who said Oklahoma City will "never" support major league sports... Of ANY kind.

There IS another stadium not a great distance away in a small village known as Stillwater.

The NFL is looking at Oklahoma City for future expansion. A team WILL work here, and if one locates here, Boren will NOT be able to stop it. He is NOT God, people.

PUGalicious
08-31-2006, 04:18 AM
It amazes me the number of people who think they can predict the future until the end of time. Yes, it is amazing indeed. Incredible (as in, UNcredible) in fact.

Nixon7
08-31-2006, 10:41 PM
do we have the population to support an NFL team? I like the idea of a stadium on the river, but I'd hate to see it half empty most of the time

mranderson
09-01-2006, 03:14 AM
do we have the population to support an NFL team? I like the idea of a stadium on the river, but I'd hate to see it half empty most of the time

After factoring in all of Oklahoma and most of the surrounding area through Wichita, Albuqurque, and some other areas, then the answer is yes. That makes at least five million.

I have had several people from those areas tell me they would come to Oklahoma City to see major league sports before cities such as Kansas City and Denver.

Midtowner
09-01-2006, 06:34 AM
Boren will NOT be able to stop it. He is NOT God, people.

Please tell him this. Maybe he'll believe you.

traxx
09-02-2006, 01:39 PM
After factoring in all of Oklahoma and most of the surrounding area through Wichita, Albuqurque, and some other areas, then the answer is yes. That makes at least five million.

I have had several people from those areas tell me they would come to Oklahoma City to see major league sports before cities such as Kansas City and Denver.
I'm not saying I wouldn't want people from these areas to come to OKC and watch pro sports, but I guess I doubt that this would happen. I'm sure some people have told you this, but it would have to be more than a handfull of people to make an impact. BTW what is their reason to want to come to OKC to see pro sports rather than KC, Denver, Dallas, etc.?

I would love to see pro football here, but I think we're still a long way off before that happens. And I've heard nothing about us being looked at for NFL expansion (not that I have connections for that kind of info anyway).

mranderson
09-02-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't want people from these areas to come to OKC and watch pro sports, but I guess I doubt that this would happen. I'm sure some people have told you this, but it would have to be more than a handfull of people to make an impact. BTW what is their reason to want to come to OKC to see pro sports rather than KC, Denver, Dallas, etc.?

I would love to see pro football here, but I think we're still a long way off before that happens. And I've heard nothing about us being looked at for NFL expansion (not that I have connections for that kind of info anyway).

Same song and dance we heard pre nba. Guess what. Those nay sayers were quite incorrect.

Think about that.

metro
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
But you can't just go off that assumption alone mranderson. You have to look at the hard facts, numbers. The NBA requires far more realistic numbers to work with than the NFL or MLB. Look at the number of games, populations of MSA's, income levels, etc. of cities when they first got their NFL or MLB teams, they were still way above where we are at today. We have a large enough population base to support NBA or NHL despite what the naysayers said, they never used statistical data. I never have heard/seen the commissioner of MLB or NFL even mention OKC as a prospect. On the other hand, the NHL, MLS and NBA have been on the record about OKC as a prospect before we received the Hornets. Why? Because the numbers proved it could support it. I'm a total optimist and knew we could support an NBA team years ago and fully believe we could support the NHL or MLS right now as well. Show me numbers proving MLB and NFL and I'll be a believer.

Easy180
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Real big possible on NFL, but a big no way on MLB

Biggest thing working for us on the NFL is there are only 10 or so games (compared to 81 games w/ baseball) that we would need to sell out...Still... selling 70,000 tickets at high prices is a longshot even though we are a bigtime college football city

Many of the OU and OSU fanatics may not be willing or able to purchase season tix to both

mranderson
09-05-2006, 02:01 PM
But you can't just go off that assumption alone mranderson. You have to look at the hard facts, numbers. The NBA requires far more realistic numbers to work with than the NFL or MLB. Look at the number of games, populations of MSA's, income levels, etc. of cities when they first got their NFL or MLB teams, they were still way above where we are at today. We have a large enough population base to support NBA or NHL despite what the naysayers said, they never used statistical data. I never have heard/seen the commissioner of MLB or NFL even mention OKC as a prospect. On the other hand, the NHL, MLS and NBA have been on the record about OKC as a prospect before we received the Hornets. Why? Because the numbers proved it could support it. I'm a total optimist and knew we could support an NBA team years ago and fully believe we could support the NHL or MLS right now as well. Show me numbers proving MLB and NFL and I'll be a believer.

I am also relying on information given to me personally by some league commisioners. Plus. I never "assume."

Nixon7
09-05-2006, 02:53 PM
ill believe it when i see it

Midtowner
09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I am also relying on information given to me personally by some league commisioners. Plus. I never "assume."

Which league commissioners do you have correspondence with?

What specifics have they given you? I find it interesting, if not a little unbelievable that a league commissioner would correspond with someone who has no real stake other than casual interest in any of these developments.

traxx
09-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Same song and dance we heard pre nba. Guess what. Those nay sayers were quite incorrect.

Think about that.
Agreed. But I guess I'm just asking for some firm evidence, something to back up those claims. I'm not trying to be a naysayer, if you'll re-read my post you'll see that I'm all for pro sports here. I think pro sports is a sign that our city has really arrived, but on the flip side, I don't want a pro team just because we can get one and then have the stadium not fill up and the tix not sell. I do believe that we are able to support the nba right now. As far as NFL, I think it will be some time. But if you disagree, give me some reasons and facts to back it up. I'll be more than happy to come over to your side of view.

Nixon7
09-07-2006, 04:10 PM
http://newsok.com/article/2843213

Any hope that we could support nba AND nhl? I would hate to have JUST the nhl

Midtowner
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Anderson, come on, which league commissioners correspond with you?

Spartan
10-03-2006, 06:50 AM
I reserve this spot for a future post.

ChristianConservative
10-03-2006, 03:00 PM

I reserve this for the dumbest post of the year.

Midtowner
10-03-2006, 03:57 PM

Too bad you can't edit after your post has been up for a certain (short) period of time.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
My opinion, if you so desire to have it, is that while the NFL would do very well here, MLB have a better chance to show up here.

Midtowner
10-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Anderson, are you ever going to tell us which of commissioner(s) you correspond with regularly?

(I think he was telling us lies folks)

ChristianConservative
10-12-2006, 09:33 AM
He's just blowing smoke.

Midtowner
10-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Apparenly, I know he's read this thread. Perhaps if he ignores it, the questions will go away?

What is the point of telling lies on an internet message board? Is it to make oneself feel important?

As a side note, I just got off the phone with Kim Jong Il. He tells me that if an NFL or MLB franchise locates to Oklahoma City, we can say goodbye to Hawaii.

So I guess that's it :(

Midtowner
10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Also, I just ran into Osama Bin Ladin. Apparenly, he's been hiding in the Oklahoma City concourse. He's really hopeful that the Hornets will stay. He's a huge fan.

Swake2
10-16-2006, 07:31 AM
I really, really hate to agree with Anderson.

But…..

The NFL is more likely than you think, once LA has a team again (for TV ratings reasons) the NFL has little care where a team goes so long as the seats are full. Local success for the NFL is judged entirely on ticket sales, and OU has a larger stadium than all but one NFL team and does OK. NFL has a salary cap and real revenue sharing in that there is no local TV, it’s all on national contracts. The NFL has to be looking at Oklahoma, San Antonio and Alabama for teams once they get a team into LA, IF they ever get a team into LA. It’s just not a good pro football market.

But there-in lies the issues for the NFL in Oklahoma City. One, teams rarely relocate and LA is first and the league will lean on any moving team to go there, hard. So it will likely be years before a team even becomes available. Second, there is no stadium and OU and likely OSU will not share, even for a little while. Third, would Oklahoma City be chosen? OU will fight this in the OKC market politically, San Antonio has an available at least temporary stadium and Birmingham has one too. So does Tulsa in TU, who can always use the money. TU’s stadium is not a long term solution, but could be used while one is built.

I think OKC will get the Sonics, and some poor struggling NHL team, both in the next two to three years. Therein also lies the fourth problem, Oklahoma City is in no way large enough for three major league teams. So when the NFL looks to the football mad state of Oklahoma, and it will, even more so with the now probable success of NBA and NHL, it will go where there is a stadium, no political fight and no major league competition. It will be years and years, but I think it’s likely. Tulsa almost should start planning a stadium now. I think San Antonio and LA will get the next teams, and Tulsa, Portland and Birmingham could likely fight for the one after that.

I don’t see MLB being any possibility in the next several decades unless the next Microsoft or something is founded in one of our cities that ignites some sort of unheard of growth.

HOT ROD
10-16-2006, 08:01 PM
very good points Swake.

Luke
10-21-2006, 07:34 AM
I think OKC should build a MAPS style 65,000 seat stadium near downtown. With that, we could dangle it in front of the NFL and tell them it's debt free. Let us prove ourselves.

NFL would fly big-time in OKC.

Midtowner
10-21-2006, 11:50 AM
If we had such a stadium, maybe OCU could start a football team? I know they're going into Division I for basketball -- why not have a decent football stadium?

It could also host a Bedlam game with a 50/50 seat distribution like the OU-TX game.

Luke
10-21-2006, 09:24 PM
If we had such a stadium, maybe OCU could start a football team? I know they're going into Division I for basketball -- why not have a decent football stadium?

It could also host a Bedlam game with a 50/50 seat distribution like the OU-TX game.

Great ideas.

Add a college bowl game into the mix. The Mathis Brothers-Gaylord Family Prairie Sonic Oil Bowl.

;)

Midtowner
10-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Played at the Garth Brooks/Toby Keith Arena.

Me likey!

Luke
10-22-2006, 07:11 AM
But really, I think a football stadium in OKC would get some good use regardless of the NFL. Big 12 Championship, Bedlam, Bowl Games, Pre-Season College Football Games, High School Rivalries/Championships, Band Competitions, Big Concerts, Soccer even...

Midtowner
10-28-2006, 06:29 PM
Luke, I'd like to make sure that the NBA is able to do well here. Building a stadium would probably mean another 2% sales tax (or something of that nature). No doubt the program to build the stadium would be run in a shady and inefficient way.

If the Hornets do well here and keep doing well here even during bad seasons, we'll see some interest from other leagues. If not, then we'll be a one-team town.

Luke
10-29-2006, 08:34 AM
OK, I've got it.

Call up Gaylord and Boone Pickens. If Pickens has money to blow on a stadium expansion that OSU doesn't even fill up as it it, surely he can throw money at a high profile NFL stadium in a major city. And Gaylord seems to like his name on all sorts of stuff.

Maybe between the two of them, they can build us:

Gaylord Pickens Stadium.

That name alone may warrant this idea to the trash bin. ;)

mranderson
10-29-2006, 09:20 AM
OK, I've got it.

Call up Gaylord and Boone Pickens. If Pickens has money to blow on a stadium expansion that OSU doesn't even fill up as it it, surely he can throw money at a high profile NFL stadium in a major city. And Gaylord seems to like his name on all sorts of stuff.

Maybe between the two of them, they can build us:

Gaylord Pickens Stadium.

That name alone may warrant this idea to the trash bin. ;)

Or "the Picklord Dome."

Midtowner
10-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Anderson, you still haven't told us which commissioners you correspond with.

mranderson
10-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Anderson, you still haven't told us which commissioners you correspond with.

...And I will not. So, please stop asking. The information was given to me with the agreement I not reveal who said it. Plus... PLEASE STOP CALLING ME "ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Swake2
10-29-2006, 12:50 PM
hey andy, lighten up

Midtowner
10-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, we know that MLS was looking at Edmond and Oklahoma very seriously a few years ago -- particularly at UCO as a MLS site.

Unless your regular correspondence is with MLS, you are either claiming that you personally correspond with the NFL and/or the MLB commissioners.

Sure.

mranderson
10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
hey andy, lighten up

Excuse me? My dad was Andy. I am MR ANDERSON. Please show respect and use it.

Midtowner
10-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Excuse me? My dad was Andy. I am MR ANDERSON. Please show respect and use it.

If you'll refer to me as "Your royal highness" I'll be glad to call you mranderson.

Until then, you'll have to settle.

At any rate, I guess it's either the MLB, NFL or NHL commissioners you speak with on a regular basis. If I pick up the phone and call them, telling them that I know Anderson, what sort of response will I get?

mranderson
10-29-2006, 06:10 PM
If you'll refer to me as "Your royal highness" I'll be glad to call you mranderson.

At any rate, I guess it's either the MLB, NFL or NHL commissioners you speak with on a regular basis. If I pick up the phone and call them, telling them that I know Anderson, what sort of response will I get?

I will not settle. Now. Back to topic and stay there!

mranderson
10-29-2006, 06:11 PM

I will not settle. I have the right to be called by the name I chose. Now back to topic and stay there!

Midtowner
10-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Please quit trying to change the subject.

We were discussing which commissioners you had spoken with who had expressed an interest in Oklahoma City.

The world wants to know.

Swake2
10-30-2006, 09:56 AM
For me to use the honorific “Mister”, some one must either be:
a) someone I know and have a basic and simple respect for, or b) someone who I don’t know that I am using a basic politeness with. That person that I don’t know, must however, show that he has a basic understanding of how to conduct themselves properly when interacting with others.

I don’t really know you, but you could fall in either category, and you fail to earn my use the term mister on both counts Andy.

You want to be called “Mister”? Then earn some respect or learn to conduct yourself in a civil manner.

And this is on topic, you post obvious and blatant crap and then become outraged when your posts are not shown the proper “respect”. Your post about speaking with NFL Commissioners has zero credibility.

Admit you lied or provide some sort of proof. Forget names, when and where did you speak with a commissioner, under what circumstances and why on earth would they share privileged information on NFL expansion strategy with you? Information that flies in the face of the NFL’s stated positions. In fact, if you are telling the truth, you may well have already broken securities law by sharing privileged information.

mranderson
10-30-2006, 04:26 PM
For me to use the honorific “Mister”, some one must either be:
a) someone I know and have a basic and simple respect for, or b) someone who I don’t know that I am using a basic politeness with. That person that I don’t know, must however, show that he has a basic understanding of how to conduct themselves properly when interacting with others.

I don’t really know you, but you could fall in either category, and you fail to earn my use the term mister on both counts Andy.

You want to be called “Mister”? Then earn some respect or learn to conduct yourself in a civil manner.

And this is on topic, you post obvious and blatant crap and then become outraged when your posts are not shown the proper “respect”. Your post about speaking with NFL Commissioners has zero credibility.

Admit you lied or provide some sort of proof. Forget names, when and where did you speak with a commissioner, under what circumstances and why on earth would they share privileged information on NFL expansion strategy with you? Information that flies in the face of the NFL’s stated positions. In fact, if you are telling the truth, you may well have already broken securities law by sharing privileged information.

Respect is automatic. Continued respect is earned. Now. I have had enough of this crap. GET OFF MY BACK, AND BACK ON TOPIC!

traxx
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
We are on topic. We keep asking you who you spoke too and you keep skirting it. We're talking about what league OKC should go after; you say you've been in contact with a particular league; we ask who - seems on topic to me.

You can fill us in without having to spill names or privelaged info.

Face it, you don't know anyone. Why bring up the point if you can't share it. It was a lie.

Lurker34
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
$50 for cheap seats to Football & Basketball. $25 for decent seats to Major League Baseball. Knowing how cheap okies are (myself included) I think MLB would work better than the others. Now if we get a cellar dweller franchise (which is likely to happen) it'll go for 3-4 years and fall flat on it's face. Oklahomans only like winning teams, and the novelty will have worn off by then. Soccer doesn't stand a chance.

My 2˘

Bill

Midtowner
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
People show up in decent numbers for OSU games... so what is that about winning teams again?

Easy180
06-15-2007, 04:53 PM
$50 for cheap seats to Football & Basketball. $25 for decent seats to Major League Baseball. Knowing how cheap okies are (myself included) I think MLB would work better than the others. Now if we get a cellar dweller franchise (which is likely to happen) it'll go for 3-4 years and fall flat on it's face. Oklahomans only like winning teams, and the novelty will have worn off by then. Soccer doesn't stand a chance.

My 2˘

Bill

Winning sure translates into more seats filled, but I think the record matters less for cities with only one major league team to choose from

Not so sure about being able to fill a 40,000 seat baseball stadium around 90 games a season...Basketball only has to fill 18,000 for close to half as many dates

Don't think we will have even a remote chance at landing MLB or NFL for decades

betts
06-15-2007, 04:59 PM
I'd like to see us support one (NBA) really well for ten years or so, and then have the necessary growth to support two franchises well. The NFL fits a smaller city better than MLB, so it would be a logical second choice. But franchises are not so easy to come by.

Rifleman2C
06-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Not so sure about being able to fill a 40,000 seat baseball stadium around 90 games a season...Basketball only has to fill 18,000 for close to half as many dates

Funny you should mention that, Easy180... having an NHL Hockey franchise would mean only having to fill 18,000 seats for 40-45 events as well.

Yet only a very few folks in OKC seem to be even moderately interested in trying to lure a NHL team here.

So my question to those of you who have expressed an interest in any major league team of any sort:

Would you be willing to support a major league team (by your attendance, at least) that wasn't your favorite sport for a few years in the hope that the city's success with that team will lure other big league sports to the OKC area?

Even if it was MLS? or the NHL?