View Full Version : Question about KMG Fountain

OKCLeader
06-08-2006, 10:32 AM
This is the first email question I have received. Feel free to email me any questions you may have.

The person writes:

This is not as much a question as it is a solicitation of your advise. Below is a copy of my recent letter to the editor at the Oklahoma Gazette. It describes the issue. I have spoken with Dave Lopez and requested that he speak to Luke Corbet and I have also spoken with the buildig's architects, who, not surprisingly, don't feel compelled to contact Kerr McGee. I have also requested a few other personal friends that I thought might have some influence with Mr. Corbet to give him a call. Do you have any other ideas?

To The Editor:

Though the Kerr McGee Corporation is by most standards, one of Oklahoma City's best corporate citizens, their recent decision to abandon the
fountains that are an integral part of the plaza fronting their headquarters tower on Robert S. Kerr Avenue, is a step in the wrong direction; both for Kerr McGee and for Oklahoma City's downtown revitalization.

The importance of this thirty year old water feature to the street scape of downtown Oklahoma City is priceless and Kerr McGee's plan to fill in the fountains with dirt and plant shrubs is a bad solution to their deferred maintenance issues. Their stated reason for replacing splashing water with greenery is no big shock; money. They are facing a very
costly major reconstruction of the plaza to repair some years old leaks and it is way cheaper to simply go green rather than stay wet.

I strongly believe that combined public, private and peer pressure is the most effective way to persuade the decision makers at Kerr McGee to reconsider the poor option they have chosen. Their best choice for all
parties concerned is to restore the remarkable water design element that has graced their building's souther facade and delighted passersby for the past three decades. Kerr McGee can be contacted by phone at
405.270.1313. Snail mail can be sent to 123 Robert S. Kerr Avenue, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73102 and their e-mail contact link is
http://www.kerr-mcgee.com/resources/contactkmg.htm.

Thanks,

My response:

Thank you for your email. I was not aware that Kerr McGee was proposing to modify the fountains. That being said, it is difficult for the City to take a position opposing a property owner wanting to modify their own property (obviously with the requirements of City's codes).

I would also think twice about taking the public route with Kerr McGee. It is my opinion they would respond better to "Mr. Lopez type meetings" rather than a letter or article in the Gazette, although the latter may be beneficial in showing the public's support. In the end though, the former suggestion would play a bigger role in their position.

Just my thoughts....

OKCLeader

OKCLeader
06-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I will look into this issue more and try to submit more advice as I meet with Luke Corbett and others.