View Full Version : Ideas for last pad site at Penn Square

Patrick
06-06-2006, 03:00 PM
Penn Square Mall mangement will be leasing one more pad site on site, north of the bank. What ideas do you have for restaurants? I'll present them to mall management.

metro
06-06-2006, 03:38 PM
A fondue place, apparently the one in Bricktown fell through?

John
06-06-2006, 03:41 PM
I know the area has some Italian restaurants around, but with Cheesecake setting up, a Maggiano's would compliment it nicely.

brianinok
06-06-2006, 05:32 PM
I agree about Maggianno's. Yumm!

floater
06-06-2006, 07:50 PM
I've never been there, but a chain with a very good reputation would be Legal Sea Foods. McCormick & Schmicks would be good too. I've heard good things about Maggiano's as well as Il Fornaio. But the Pepperoni Grill people probably wouldn't like that.

The city's lacking a full-fledged French restaurant, and that would be a killer location. I've mentioned Bon Vie (http://www.bon-vie.com/) before, but they only have a couple of locations, the menu is Americanized, and would probably be a better fit for Bricktown.

What about a Wolfgang Puck Cafe?

traemac
06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
I vote for California Pizza Kitchen

TheImmortal
06-06-2006, 10:59 PM
I second that.

John
06-06-2006, 11:18 PM
CPK would be good.

There's a lack of big steakhouses in the city and the areas demographics would support a Fleming's or Ruth's Chris or something of that nature/stature.

Patrick
06-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Interesting you mention Maggiano's. Last I heard, that's who they were speaking with. But, things may have changed.

John
06-07-2006, 07:57 AM
Interesting you mention Maggiano's. Last I heard, that's who they were speaking with. But, things may have changed.

I know Maggiano's, along with Carrabbas, were considered for the spot where Elephant Bar is, until Olive Garden set up shop across the street.

But it fits with most upscale chain areas.

escan
06-07-2006, 08:13 AM
So, we lost out on Maggiano's and got an Olive Garden? That's not a good trade off.

I "third" CPK.

Luke
06-07-2006, 08:57 AM
I was thinking Ruth's Chris as well. Or a Morton's.

quailcreekgal
06-07-2006, 10:29 AM
California Pizza Kitchen has my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

metro
06-07-2006, 10:42 AM
How about an Emeril's?

jdsplaypin
06-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Is there a kona grill in the metro?

SOONER8693
06-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I know the one in Tulsa went under, but how about Pizzeria Uno? I know the franchises are not as good as the original in Chicago, but the ones I've eaten at in the midwest are still pretty good.

diesel
06-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I say Maggiano's or California Pizza

John
06-07-2006, 12:35 PM
Is there a kona grill in the metro?

Yes, over on Meridian by the Airport.

metro
06-07-2006, 01:19 PM
John, no you are thinking of Kona Ranch, two entirely different places.

Stinger
06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
I haven't heard of California Pizza Kitchen before. What is it and where have you guys experienced it?

TheImmortal
06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
I have had it a few different places, mainly in bigger metropolitan areas. I think I ate at one in Baltimore and actually I ate at one in Newcastle, England I beleive. They are absolutely delicious. If you want a taste you can pick up one of their frozen pizzas at the grocery store. If you didn't see the box you would never guess it was frozen. yummy!

John
06-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Kona Ranch, Kona Grill... My bad. :)

Stinger: http://www.californiapizzakitchen.com/

We've experienced it all over the country, except for Oklahoma, unless you count their frozen options, which aren't bad compared to the rest of the frozen pizzas. They're most famous for their Barbeque Chicken Pizza, and their inventive and unique toppings.

quailcreekgal
06-07-2006, 03:35 PM
California Pizza Kitchen never disappoint! I've been to sites in Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and a couple of other cities.... always great pizza, pasta, soups, aalads, sandwiches, desserts. The kitchen is open so you can watch your meal being made. The frozen pizzas are nothing close to the quality you get in the Kitchen. Check out their web site for locations and when you are traveling, check for a local listing. YOu won't be disappointed.

Lauri101
06-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I've never been there, but a chain with a very good reputation would be Legal Sea Foods. McCormick & Schmicks would be good too.

Both are excellent, however, a waiter at a Legal Sea Foods in D.C. told me that our geography works against us. According to him, Legal only locates where they can get fresh sea food within 2 hours.:banghead:
M&S may have the same policy.

I'd just like to see a nice, all-around steak, chicken and seafood restaurant that has a smoking area!

mranderson
06-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I want something Dallas does not have yet. Anything, as long as it is not there.

BricktownGuy
06-07-2006, 05:32 PM
California Pizza Kitchen gets my vote.

fromdust
06-08-2006, 06:56 PM
how about ruths chris?

metro
06-09-2006, 12:08 PM
How about a Dave and Busters? It would be a good spot for it and they could connect it to the mall somehow. They'd definitely have to get to work on that second garage though.

diesel
06-13-2006, 04:56 PM
http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/

'Wich Craft... sounds like a very unique upscale sandwich shop

jbrown84
06-18-2006, 11:57 PM
Saltgrass
Pappadeaux
Buca di Beppo

Bobby H
06-19-2006, 12:22 AM
How big is that last pad site?

Is it large enough for a movie theater?

The Penn Square Mall 10 inside the mall won't be able to compete with the new breed of cinemas now being built in various places around the country, including OKC. It doesn't have the high ceilings to support huge screens and large stadium seating risers.

Harkins' Bricktown 16 is a pretty decent multiplex (I was fairly impressed by the Cine Capris screen, although I feel it needs large format film projection). The Warren Theaters Moore 20 will raise the standards bar a pretty big notch once it opens.

Given the demographic to which Penn Square Mall caters, someone could actually open a high end movie theater with lush decoration, full bars and a lot of other luxury style services. Los Angeles has a few of these kinds of theaters. You pay a premium of around double or triple the price of a normal movie ticket. But you watch the movie in a very well decorated and technically superior environment. The rooms are smaller and more intimate -kind of like a private screening room.

Patrick
06-19-2006, 08:51 AM
The remaining pad site is only large enough for a restaurant. And mall management has repeatedly told me they'd rather focus on upscale retail stores, than movie theaters, as they really don't want to have to face the teen problem that Quail Springs is facing. Also, that means arcades are out. After Moore 20 is built, the city as a whole is becoming oversaturated when it comes to movie theaters.