View Full Version : Improving police service in OKC

okcpd
06-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Do any of you have suggestions on how we can improve the force? I'd be happy to submit any suggestions you might have.

metro
06-06-2006, 09:19 AM
I'd like to see them get more aggressive on people who litter.

John
06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Get with the 21st century and go LED.

You barely notice OKC's old school lights, so it's hard to make room for them when they're coming behind you. You can see the HiPo, Okla & Logan Counties, Edmond and EMSA from miles away.

Also, someone needs to work on a car scheme and uniform redesign.

metro
06-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Is it just me or have I seen OCPD with LED's. Maybe not all or even a majority, but I have seen plenty of police cruisers throughout the metro with LED's. But as I said before I'd really like to see a crackdown on litterers.

John
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
But as I said before I'd really like to see a crackdown on litterers.

It's something that goes on everyday, yet nothing really happens about the problem. I'd equate it to illegals entering our country. :)

When our fire ban was going strong, I would make sure to call the litter hotline whenever I saw someone throwing out a lit cig. I'm sure they just got a warning letter, if that. I also noticed how much trash people throw out of their car. Absolutely rediculous.

mranderson
06-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I like the idea of new uniforms, however, the redesign of the patrol cars, no.

The second largest police department in the United States has markings on their patrol cars similar to Oklahoma City, and it has worked for decades. I like being similar to them.

John
06-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I like the idea of new uniforms, however, the redesign of the patrol cars, no.

The second largest police department in the United States has markings on their patrol cars similar to Oklahoma City, and it has worked for decades. I like being similar to them.

I just think the current logo isn't that distinguishable.

I'd like to see a euro type graphic job, with the reflective tape and crazy colors. ;)

aintaokie
06-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Remind some officers to obey traffic laws such as stopping at stop signs, using turn signals, and speeding, when not enroute to a call. Their actions should set the example for the rest of us to follow. One major improvement for service is the new communications center downtown and the new 800 mhz radio system that is now being used (or soon will be).

mranderson
06-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Remind some officers to obey traffic laws such as stopping at stop signs, using turn signals, and speeding, when not enroute to a call. Their actions should set the example for the rest of us to follow. One major improvement for service is the new communications center downtown and the new 800 mhz radio system that is now being used (or soon will be).

The situation is as follows. Oklahoma City has a policy that only a small number of calls are code three. The officer must rush to the scene, so, most of the time you see one driving like he or she was on a NASCAR course, they ARE on the way to a call. You have no way of knowing that is what it is. The only way would be to have a more liberal code three policy or put a sign on top of the car that says "get out of my way, I am on a call."

rxis
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Don't follow too closely.
Those bright lights make it look like a big truck that is going to run over ya when its following so close. I once sped up to get out of the way on a one way road and I got pulled over for it. The officer didn't believe my excuse. I told a friend about it and he said the same thing happened to his buddy.

rxis
06-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Why do officers drive police SUVs?

Keith
06-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I agree. I know that some officers are on a call when they coast through stop signs or exceed the speed limit, however, there are many times that they feel powerful by driving a squad car that they feel they can do whatever they want to do. Therefore, many of these officers abuse their positions and their badge by breaking the same laws that they are suppose to enforce.

The City radio shop is in process of installing the new 800 Mhz radios in the patrol cars, however, it is a long, tedious, job. You have probably seen some of the new 06 patrol cars on the streets with the two white antennas on them (one in front of their overheads and one behind their overheads).

Many of you know that I work for the OKC water department in dispatch, and we have already had our radios installed, and have already been switched over to the new 800 Mhz radio system. It's great, however, because of the type of system it is, you can no longer pick it up on a scanner. It is 800 Mhz, trunked encrypted. That's a fancy way of saying that you can no longer monitor our frequencies unless you have one of our radios, or if you purchase a very expensive scanner. So, I usually carry one of our hand helds with me when I am off work, so that I can keep up with what's going on.

The OKC Police are now using their new radios, because the radio shop is integrating the old system with the new system, allowing them to operate on the old frequencies until all of the radios are installed. Once they are installed and the testing is completed, then the police department will switch to the all new system........again, you will not be able to monitor the police anymore unless you have one of their radios or an expensive, specialized, scanner. I spoke to a radio technician today at the radio shop, and the installations are taking longer than they expected. The tech informed me that it may be closer to the end of the year before the police department completely switches over to the new system.

Just last week, the fire department completed the installations of all of their mobile and hand held radios, and completed all of their tests. As of this last Monday (I think), they switched over to the new system. Now, you can't monitor fire calls unless you have one of their radios or purchase a very expensive scanner.

So, if you are like me and just have a regular 800 Mhz scanner, you can forget about monitoring the fire department now. Even most of the fire stations had scanners so that they could listen to other fire calls that were dispatched to other stations....now their scanners are obsolete.

Now, I am just listening to OKC police, other local city police departments, Okla. County Sheriffs office, and EMSA.

Sorry I got off subject. I had a thought and took off with it. Back to topic.

quailcreekgal
06-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Take down the speed limit signs and quit wasting what little time is spent trying to enforce speed limits.