View Full Version : Edmond vs. OKC

tnajk
06-03-2006, 08:21 AM
I'm new to the area and am really beginning to see that people around have certain opinions about what areas of OKC they like and don't like. I'm curious as to where this comes from?

For example, it seems that Edmond has a reputation of being snobbish. We live just outside of Edmond and do our shopping there. I have yet to meet a single snob! ?? So maybe I am missing something?

I've also heard people refer to South OKC as being "very different" than NW OKC or Edmond. In what way exactly are they VERY different?

When we were househunting just a few months ago before we moved here, I looked at houses EVERYWHERE in OKC. We were trying to find a house that met our needs, not necessarily what city it was is. Mostly, because we had no idea which ones we would like better. We chose our current home over one in Moore because of the atmosphere. There are TONS and TONS of beautiful trees around us here and there weren't so many in Moore. Thats it!

I thought it would be interesting to hear peoples thoughts and comments on this topic.

Karried
06-03-2006, 08:43 AM
This is a discussion we've had over and over.. one thing I know, people have pride in their hometown.. they don't like to hear anything negative about it regardless if it is true or not.

People have different lifestyles and needs, some like the family atmosphere in Edmond and some like the fun active nightlight in Downtown OKC.

I think a lot of it depends on where you are in your life and what your circumstances are at the time. I have two boys and my priorities are great schools, low crime, and a nice family style neighborhood.

But others with no kids probably don't care about schools or family neighborhoods as much.

Moving from CA a few years back, Edmond reminded me more of the area that I came from and I was comfortable here.. I love it here. I find most people highly educated, professional, involved in the kid's educations.... the schools are wonderful. I don't know if 'snobs' is the right word.... there are some people here that make some serious money..they would be snobs anywhere they lived! LOL - but there are people in OKC & Moore who make serious money - they are probably snobby too. That's sometimes a trait of wealthy people, not because of where you live. I guess since we have a lot of wealthy people in Edmond, it might come across that it is a snobby town. I don't like to hear it because I have met some of the nicest people ever in my lifetime so I can't relate to all of Edmond being snobbish.

There are some things I might change.. I do wish we had some little comedy clubs or even fun nightspots but honestly with kids, I can't go all that often anyway. I do hope they address some of the traffic.. more and more people are moving here. The subdivisions are growing constantly. New schools are being built.. it just keeps growing and growing and I wish it would stop. Pretty soon, Guthrie will be the new hot spot to move out of the city!

I picked my house because of the trees as well.. we live on the greenbelt with a river in our backyard ( way down thank goodness!) but it is beautiful to look out our backyard and not see another house - just trees and birds and wildlife.

So, to each his own, makes the world interesting.

mranderson
06-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I am all but a native to Oklahoma City, so let me compare from that point of view.

South Oklahoma City-mostly blue collar environment. Some upper crust, however, not much anymore. A lot of Mexicans. The southwest side is growing to be the Latin quarter.

Moore-A VERY large blue collar environment. Mostly people I describe (to use the most common vernacular) "rednecks." A very small number of upper crust.

North Oklahoma City-Mainly middle-middle class to upper crust. This is what I personally prefer.

Edmond-Mostly upper crust or people who think they are.

Midwest City-Del City-A large number of Military and civilian military people, however, still a fair number of blue collar.

Norman-A largen number of University types. There are still quite a large number of upper crust or upper crust want to be's.

In the longrun, only you can be the judge of what environment you want to be in. However, this is from a man who has lived in the Oklahoma City area all but 13 years of his life.

We moved here when I was five, and I left for eight years when I was 32. Not much has changed about the social-economics, however, the attitidues have changed... To me, not for the better.

diesel
06-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Very good points made. Took the words right out of my mouth. I really wish they would revitalize the south side more. Alot of the areas just south of I-40 look really run down.

I am all but a native to Oklahoma City, so let me compare from that point of view.

South Oklahoma City-mostly blue collar environment. Some upper crust, however, not much anymore. A lot of Mexicans. The southwest side is growing to be the Latin quarter.

Moore-A VERY large blue collar environment. Mostly people I describe (to use the most common vernacular) "rednecks." A very small number of upper crust.

North Oklahoma City-Mainly middle-middle class to upper crust. This is what I personally prefer.

Midwest City-Del City-A large number of Military and civilian military people, however, still a fair number of blue collar.

Norman-A largen number of University types. There are still quite a large number of upper crust or upper crust want to be's.

In the longrun, only you can be the judge of what environment you want to be in. However, this is from a man who has lived in the Oklahoma City area all but 13 years of his life.

We moved here when I was five, and I left for eight years when I was 32. Not much has changed about the social-economics, however, the attitidues have changed... To me, not for the better.

wolf2006
06-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Yeah, mranderson gave a pretty accurate picture. Edmond is where a lot of families seem to be moving, and I think it developed a reputation of "snobs" just because a lot of the residents were leaving the affluent furthest northern areas of OKC to move to Edmond. I personally prefer northwest Oklahoma City, just south of Lake Hefner. Also more and more people are moving from the City to Moore, Yukon, and Mustang. I think a lot of these new developments in those areas are developing the same style as Edmond.

BDP
06-03-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm curious as to where this comes from?

I don't know exactly, but I've never been to any city that didn't have certain character traits associated with certain areas. There are probably entire sociology courses on it. Mostly, people tend to pick where they want to live based on their desired lifestyle, identity, or needs. Eventually, some amount of homogeny emerges, though the stereotypes hardly ever prove absolutely true.

All I can say is that I love living in the city and spending most of my time between downtown and 63rd. It seems to have the least amount of homogeny and most amount of character. It's also older and more eclectic than the city's outer communities, things I like, too. I am looking forward to starting my family in an area where my kids will interact with all kinds of people and have access to different activities, ideas, and cultural influences.

But that doesn't make it right or wrong or superior to any other way to live. That's just the life I want and am glad that Oklahoma City seems to have more and more of it to offer everyday.

Kumbaya

Luke
06-03-2006, 08:33 PM
All I can say is that I love living in the city and spending most of my time between downtown and 63rd. It seems to have the least amount of homogeny and most amount of character. It's also older and more eclectic than the city's outer communities, things I like, too.

I couldn't agree more! Except for teaching in Del City, I spend nearly every bit of my time "in the loop," a.k.a. I-44 on the West and North, I-235 on the East and I-40 on the South (basically between 63rd and downtown).

Luke

Keith
06-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I have always lived in the south metro area. I grew up in Moore, and graduated from Moore High School in 1979. A couple of years later, I moved to south Oklahoma City. It's perfect for me.

What's interesting is that the area I moved in was originally occupied by older people that were retired. There are still some retirees living in our area, however, it seems as if we have had a hispanic explosion. You can't throw a stick without hitting a hispanic. You know what, though? All of my hispanic neighbors are the friendliest neighbors I have ever had. We have a slight language barrier, but the waves and the smiles overcome that.

Edmond and north OKC are a little too expensive for me, especially since my wife works part time. My little three bedroom house is a home, and I will probably continue to live south for a long time to come. It's who I am and what I enjoy.

Oki_Man5
06-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Were there more posts on this thread earlier? No! I am not suggesting one of my posts was removed, but I had read something I was going to comment on, but now, I cannot find it, and I am almost sure it was in this thread posted today.

Thanks.

HFK
06-05-2006, 05:32 AM

I disagree: you're thinking of the south side of old. You make it sound as though the trend is going down, rather than up.

While there are portions of the south side that remain lower class other sections are booming. Far south side (104th and down) and south-west proper have many high-end additions (Rivendell, Cascata, etc). Actually, south west oklahoma city, (south, amd southwest of Will Rogers) has numerous developments of the the 1+ acre type (lots are approximately $35K, spec homes vary, but I'd say that the average size is 2500 at about $105-110 per foot: those are very rough estimates, btw). West of Will Rogers, all the way to Mustang/Yukon, is being developed similarly. but at perhaps a reduced pace. I'm confident that, in ten years time, I44 from Will Rogers to the river will be completely populated with residential construction, mostly 1+ acre lots. That probably sounds a bit crazy to someone that hasn't observed the rate of growth west of I44 and south of 104th.

Keith
06-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Were there more posts on this thread earlier? No! I am not suggesting one of my posts was removed, but I had read something I was going to comment on, but now, I cannot find it, and I am almost sure it was in this thread posted today.

Thanks.
There have been no posts removed from this thread.

mranderson
06-05-2006, 08:20 AM
"That probably sounds a bit crazy to someone that hasn't observed the rate of growth west of I44 and south of 104th."

Yes. It does. You might try driving through these areas with your eyes open, and you will see I am right.

Stinger
06-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Here is the metro area as Mattel sees it. Hopefully everyone can get a good laugh out of it and not take it too seriously...

Mattel recently announced the release of Limited-Edition Barbie dolls for the OKC Metro market:

Nichols Hills Barbie:
This princess Barbie is sold only in Nichols Hills. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade handbags, a Lexus SUV, a longhaired foreign dog named Honey, and a recently remodeled house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Note: Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with "augmented" version.

Yukon Barbie:
This modern-day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar minivan and matching velour gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full time occupation or secondary education. Traffic-jamming cell phone sold separately.

Spencer Barbie:
This recently paroled Barbie comes with a 9 mm handgun, a Chevy with dark tinted windows, and a meth lab kit. This model is only available after dark and can only be paid for in cash, preferably small, untraceable bills. Unless you are a cop, then we don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Edmond Barbie:
This yuppie Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or Hummer H2. Included is her own Starbucks cup, credit card, and country club membership. Also available for this set are Shallow Ken and Private School Skipper. You won't be able to afford any of them.

Norman (OU) Barbie:
Short, highly tanned and ready to land a husband, we mean get an education. Comes with standard issue OU shorts with "O U" printed largely on the butt. Also comes wearing latest "themed" sorority party T-shirt, hair in pony tail and a gaggle of similar looking friends, each carrying the latest in "knock off" Kate Spade bags. Honda Civic, undecided major. Drunken backward hat Frat Ken sold separately.

Midwest City Barbie:
This pale model comes dressed in her own Wrangler jeans two sizes too small, a NASCAR shirt, and Tweety Bird tattoo on her shoulder. She has a six-pack of Coors Light and a Hank Williams, Jr. CD set. She can spit over 5feet and kick mullet-haired Ken's butt when she is drunk. Purchase her pickup truck separately and get a confederate flag bumper sticker absolutely free.

Hefner Lake Barbie:

This collagen injected, rhino-plastic Barbie wears a leopard print spandex outfit and drinks cosmopolitans while entertaining friends on her boat. Percocet prescription available.

Del City Barbie:
This tobacco chewing, brassy-haired Barbie has a pair of her own high-heeled sandals with one broken heel from the time she chased Beer-Gut Ken out of El Reno Barbie's(discontinued) house.
Her ensemble includes low-rise acid-washed jeans, fake fingernails, and a see-through halter-top. Also available with a mobile home.

Classen/23rd St.Barbie:
This doll is made of actual tofu. She has long straight faded blue hair, arch less feet, hairy armpits, no makeup, and Birkenstocks with white socks. She prefers that you call her "Willow." She does not want or need a Ken doll, but if you purchase two Classen/23rd St. Barbies, and the optional Subaru wagon, you get a rainbow flag sticker for free.

Moore Barbie:
This Barbie now comes with a stroller and infant doll. Optional accessories include a GED and bus pass. Gangsta Ken and his '79 Caddy were available, but are now very difficult to find since the addition of the infant.

South OKC barbie:
This Spanish-speaking-only Barbie comes with a 1984 Toyota with expired temporary plates and three baby Skippers in the back seat, but no car seats. The optional Ken doll comes with a cowboy hat, shovel and work gloves. Ken comes with his own 1979 Ford pickup with a Telemundo bumper sticker, tinted windows, and Our Lady of Guadalupe rear window stickers. Truck is painted primer gray, but wheels and rims are not available. Comes with cement blocks. Green cards are not available for South OKC Barbie or Ken.

Classen Circle Barbie/Ken:
This versatile doll can be easily converted from Barbie to Ken by simply adding or subtracting the multiple "snap-on"parts.

hipsterdoofus
06-05-2006, 09:06 AM

I have to respond to that. The people that are like that are more than likely those who are new to Edmond. My family homesteaded north of Edmond and I have had family in town ever since then. My family would more likely fit the "blue collar" description that was listed for other parts of the metro. I know very few people in Edmond that act snobbish or think they are better than everyone else, but then again, a lot of the people I know in Edmond have been there for years.

Karried
06-05-2006, 09:06 AM
OMG! Oklahoma Barbie!

That is so hilarious! How creative... very cute! I love Shallow Ken! LOL

TheImmortal
06-05-2006, 09:27 AM
While I did not read any of the replies above I will say this. Comparing Oklahoma City to any of its suburbs is just comparing apples to oranges. Edmond is not snobbish per se, but as a resident of Edmond you do get tired of the 14 year old high school freshmen who's parents just bought the a brand new Bently so it can just sit inthe driveway for two years until they can drive. And then when they do drive they wreck it in a week and they get a brand new one. There are many instances like that, but Edmond as a whole is full of really nice and caring people. I have yet to meet a rude person in Edmond in the 5 years I have lived there. As far as NW OKC and Southside, well they are very different;Southside in general is lower income. But each have their good parts and their bad parts. But if I had the choice to live anywhere in the metro area it would definatly be in actual Oklahoma City. But yeah. Enough pointless rambling from me.

okcpulse
06-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Here is the metro area as Mattel sees it. Hopefully everyone can get a good laugh out of it and not take it too seriously...

Mattel recently announced the release of Limited-Edition Barbie dolls for the OKC Metro market:

Nichols Hills Barbie:
This princess Barbie is sold only in Nichols Hills. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade handbags, a Lexus SUV, a longhaired foreign dog named Honey, and a recently remodeled house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Note: Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with "augmented" version.

Yukon Barbie:
This modern-day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar minivan and matching velour gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full time occupation or secondary education. Traffic-jamming cell phone sold separately.

Spencer Barbie:
This recently paroled Barbie comes with a 9 mm handgun, a Chevy with dark tinted windows, and a meth lab kit. This model is only available after dark and can only be paid for in cash, preferably small, untraceable bills. Unless you are a cop, then we don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Edmond Barbie:
This yuppie Barbie comes with your choice of BMW convertible or Hummer H2. Included is her own Starbucks cup, credit card, and country club membership. Also available for this set are Shallow Ken and Private School Skipper. You won't be able to afford any of them.

Norman (OU) Barbie:
Short, highly tanned and ready to land a husband, we mean get an education. Comes with standard issue OU shorts with "O U" printed largely on the butt. Also comes wearing latest "themed" sorority party T-shirt, hair in pony tail and a gaggle of similar looking friends, each carrying the latest in "knock off" Kate Spade bags. Honda Civic, undecided major. Drunken backward hat Frat Ken sold separately.

Midwest City Barbie:
This pale model comes dressed in her own Wrangler jeans two sizes too small, a NASCAR shirt, and Tweety Bird tattoo on her shoulder. She has a six-pack of Coors Light and a Hank Williams, Jr. CD set. She can spit over 5feet and kick mullet-haired Ken's butt when she is drunk. Purchase her pickup truck separately and get a confederate flag bumper sticker absolutely free.

Hefner Lake Barbie:

This collagen injected, rhino-plastic Barbie wears a leopard print spandex outfit and drinks cosmopolitans while entertaining friends on her boat. Percocet prescription available.

Del City Barbie:
This tobacco chewing, brassy-haired Barbie has a pair of her own high-heeled sandals with one broken heel from the time she chased Beer-Gut Ken out of El Reno Barbie's(discontinued) house.
Her ensemble includes low-rise acid-washed jeans, fake fingernails, and a see-through halter-top. Also available with a mobile home.

Classen/23rd St.Barbie:
This doll is made of actual tofu. She has long straight faded blue hair, arch less feet, hairy armpits, no makeup, and Birkenstocks with white socks. She prefers that you call her "Willow." She does not want or need a Ken doll, but if you purchase two Classen/23rd St. Barbies, and the optional Subaru wagon, you get a rainbow flag sticker for free.

Moore Barbie:
This Barbie now comes with a stroller and infant doll. Optional accessories include a GED and bus pass. Gangsta Ken and his '79 Caddy were available, but are now very difficult to find since the addition of the infant.

South OKC barbie:
This Spanish-speaking-only Barbie comes with a 1984 Toyota with expired temporary plates and three baby Skippers in the back seat, but no car seats. The optional Ken doll comes with a cowboy hat, shovel and work gloves. Ken comes with his own 1979 Ford pickup with a Telemundo bumper sticker, tinted windows, and Our Lady of Guadalupe rear window stickers. Truck is painted primer gray, but wheels and rims are not available. Comes with cement blocks. Green cards are not available for South OKC Barbie or Ken.

Classen Circle Barbie/Ken:
This versatile doll can be easily converted from Barbie to Ken by simply adding or subtracting the multiple "snap-on"parts.

This has to be one of the best and most entertaining posts I have ever read on this forum. I love it! Had me roll-over laughing. Good posting, Stinger.

wolf2006
06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
I have to respond to that. The people that are like that are more than likely those who are new to Edmond. My family homesteaded north of Edmond and I have had family in town ever since then. My family would more likely fit the "blue collar" description that was listed for other parts of the metro. I know very few people in Edmond that act snobbish or think they are better than everyone else, but then again, a lot of the people I know in Edmond have been there for years.I have to agree with that. I've known several older people who grew up in Edmond before this influx of trendiness. It does seem to be the people who move there for there "family values" or "live in the countryside" (even though their big new home just destroyed the Edmond countryside). The people originally from Edmond are very different from the new dwellers. The new residents aren't necessarily snobbish, they just tend to have a lot of money, or a lot of debts. That will probably change, though, because OKC suburbs seem to change rapidly; now the new trend seems to be in Mustang and Piedmont.

Stinger, LOL! Very creative.

Survey
06-05-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks.

Are we whining again? :Smiley259

Survey
06-05-2006, 03:34 PM
Onto subject, I think Edmond is over-rated. You can get a similar size home for a lot cheaper home in OKC. You're simply paying for the upper class Edmond snobbishness.

Edmond for the most part is full of a bunch of racist too good to live in the city people. After all, most of them moved there to get away from blacks in the Oklahoma City School District. Does White Flight ring a bell?

HFK
06-05-2006, 05:32 PM
"That probably sounds a bit crazy to someone that hasn't observed the rate of growth west of I44 and south of 104th."

Yes. It does. You might try driving through these areas with your eyes open, and you will see I am right.

I do, 5 days a week on my way to work and, once every week or two, with co-workers to peruse the various additions.

A co-worker has bought a lot in that area, numerous co-workers already live there, additions are popping up all over the place, the entire area, from I44 on west, from the river to 89th or 104th, is being developed (residentially), and relatively rapidly. There are signs for upcoming additions or new additions already being cut or constructed on all over the place, not on every corner (it's a large area) but they're there.

My experience goes a bit beyond mere observation: About 2 years ago I began my search for a lot/new home, and it began in that area. I almost bought a five-acre lot at Council and, I think, 104th (or was it 119th?) but the Developers's policy/covenants required that I begin construction within one year, and I couldn't forsee myself paying off a $55k note in less than three years. He budged to two but I got wary of the deal (for other reasons) so I backed out. If anything, the pace of development has increased since then.

Finally, I'm not sure why you fealt the need to reply rudely, but it's not appreciated. Your characterization of the south, and southwest, sides of town is out-dated, and I simply corrected the picture.

BG918
06-05-2006, 05:58 PM
If I were looking for a house in OKC I would start with the Midtown neighborhoods of Mesta Park and Crown Heights. There are some lovely homes and you can find some good deals, especially if you are willing (like I am) to fix up an older home. That area has so much character, lots of trees, and is close to everything. I also like Norman, the neighborhoods north and west of OU's campus are beautiful and full of life. Once downtown becomes more established as a residential "neighborhood" I would want to check out the lofts and townhomes there as well.

mranderson
06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
[quote=HFK]I do, 5 days a week on my way to work and, once every week or two, with co-workers to peruse the various additions.

A co-worker has bought a lot in that area, numerous co-workers already live there, additions are popping up all over the place, the entire area, from I44 on west, from the river to 89th or 104th, is being developed (residentially), and relatively rapidly. There are signs for upcoming additions or new additions already being cut or constructed on all over the place, not on every corner (it's a large area) but they're there.

My experience goes a bit beyond mere observation: About 2 years ago I began my search for a lot/new home, and it began in that area. I almost bought a five-acre lot at Council and, I think, 104th (or was it 119th?) but the Developers's policy/covenants required that I begin construction within one year, and I couldn't forsee myself paying off a $55k note in less than three years. He budged to two but I got wary of the deal (for other reasons) so I backed out. If anything, the pace of development has increased since then.

Finally, I'm not sure why you fealt the need to reply rudely, but it's not appreciated. Your characterization of the south, and southwest, sides of town is out-dated, and I simply corrected the picture.[/quote

I was raised on the southwest side, and lived there all but eight years until I bought a house in Ski Island this past November. The southwest side has NOT changed in the time I have lived there. It is still VERY blue collar.

My reply was not rude. it was to the point and factual from someone who has been on the southwest side since he was six years old. How long have YOU lived there?

Karried
06-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Onto subject, I think Edmond is over-rated. You can get a similar size home for a lot cheaper home in OKC. You're simply paying for the upper class Edmond snobbishness.

Edmond for the most part is full of a bunch of racist too good to live in the city people. After all, most of them moved there to get away from blacks in the Oklahoma City School District. Does White Flight ring a bell?

I'm simply paying for Edmond schools.

It is pretty assumptive of you to classify people who want good school systems for their children, low crime rates and professional & educated neighbors as racist.

Race has nothing to do with it .

Survey
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm simply paying for Edmond schools.

It is pretty assumptive of you to classify people who want good school systems for their children, low crime rates and professional & educated neighbors as racist.

Race has nothing to do with it .

Putnam City Schools are just as good as Edmond Schools. And far northwest Oklahoma City has low crime rates and professional neighbors. But, that's beside the point.

You're paying to be around snobs. But, seems like you're saying you fit in with them just fine. Well, good for you.

Saying that you don't want to be around uneducated people sounds a little judgemental to me. You are saying that you're too good for those people. You're better than them. They're below you. They need to bow down and worship you, or get away from you, as far away as they can possibly get, even across city limits.

Sure, I'm exaggerating, but that is what you said if you extend it out into a more lengthy description.

I find it interesting that you call yourself a moderator here, but yet you degrade over half the people that live in this city. You're setting a dangerous tone and turning off many Oklahoma Citians.

Basically what you're saying is that race has nothing to do with it, but you don't want to be around poor, uneducated, blue color people in the Oklahoma City School District. So you're okay with blacks and Hispanics, but you have a problem with those that have incomes below the poverty level, don't have advanced degrees, etc. Sounds to me like someone has a chip on her shoulder.

MadMonk
06-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Sounds like Survey has a bad case of class envy.

fromdust
06-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Sounds to me like someone has a chip on her shoulder.

sounds like you do. i dont think she has ever looked down on anyone.
maybe she is better than those people, sounds like she decided to rise above the lower ranks to make something of herself. maybe she could give some of her income to you to make you feel better. ya know redistribute it or something. maybe a little more sec 8 housing in edmond, get some more riff raff out there even it out some. that sounds better, we can all coexist in a beautiful neo socialist world.

brianinok
06-05-2006, 08:54 PM
I can't leave this alone anymore. I just moved from NW Oklahoma City to Edmond. The last two places I lived in OKC I was not able to get to know my neighbors. They were all to self-involved, rude, and unapproachable to converse with. I have lived in my Edmond neighborhood for a month now, and I have met my neighbors. They are the nicest people. A couple families are even African American. No one I know here even sees them or anyone else as a color-- we are all just people.

In Edmond, I like the resale value I will get; I like the school system (even though I am years away from needing it); I like the people; I like my church (Henderson Hills).

If I had a choice, I would live in downtown OKC in a condo. But, for the money, I can afford much more in Edmond. I want 3 bedrooms (1 for a study) and a living room big enough for my pool table. I can afford that in Edmond; I can't in downtown OKC. So, here I am, in Edmond, loving it.

HFK
06-05-2006, 11:17 PM
[quote=HFK]
My reply was not rude. it was to the point and factual from someone who has been on the southwest side since he was six years old. How long have YOU lived there?

Yeah, it was rude.

I've worked there for 18 years.

mranderson
06-06-2006, 04:33 AM
[quote=mranderson]

Yeah, it was rude.

I've worked there for 18 years.

Worked there. That is a lot different than LIVING there.

Oki_Man5
06-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Are we whining again? :Smiley259

The post I thought was in this thread was actually post # 12 on the Edmond Traffic thread under the Edmond Exchange; it is the thread where Karried says: "I live in Edmond & I'm not a snob."

Based on personal observations, I was going to take issue with the statement (LOL Though, I do not doubt that she lives in Edmond.), but I will let it go.

Hopefully this is not a TOS violation about cross posting, but it should be evident how anyone could have thought it were on the other thread especially since the Edmond Traffic thread was mostly buried under the Edmond header. I guess I was bored is why I went to the thread in the first place.

Thanks Keith for helping me find the thread by confirming it was not part of the thread I thought it was.

hipsterdoofus
06-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Edmond for the most part is full of a bunch of racist too good to live in the city people. After all, most of them moved there to get away from blacks in the Oklahoma City School District.

I agree with other posters...this was totally uncalled for. Especially since the majority of people that moved to Edmond moved there LOOOOOOONG after it was a "whites only" town. Time for you to check up on your history, Survey, those stereotypes can kill ya, and I assume you don't really know anyone from Edmond.

tnajk
06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Putnam City Schools are just as good as Edmond Schools

Okay now, moving from Denver I knew absolutely NOTHING about the schools here so I did my homework (We have 3 school aged children and this was VERY important to us) Just FYI, Putnam City schools are NOT just as good as Edmond. The test scores prove that. See for yourself....

http://title3.sde.state.ok.us/studentassessment/api.htm

2004 API scores:
Edmond- Scored a 1265-1424
Putnam City- Scored a 608-1307

Hmmm, now I know test scores are not everything- but they ARE something you have to consider. This shows me that PC is trailing significantly behind Edmond Schools.

Now, Moore schools they are almost just as good as Edmond. Thus why we were considering either a Moore home or an Edmond home. We stayed clear of NW OKC just because we cant rely on the public school system there. (API's of 1172-1364)

Patrick
06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
You also have to consider the types of kids these districts are attracting. Edmond virtually has no blue collar neighborhoods. Most of Edmond is made up of high educated white collar professionals. PC does have a few poorer areas that pull it down. I believe Hilldale is their lowest end school.

Now, money doesn't always reflect test score performance, but often it does. Folks with more money are generally better educated, and better equipped to train their children and get them ahead of the game.

Patrick
06-06-2006, 08:50 AM
I'd say it's more a reflect of the individual school and not the district. For example, I think two of the finest high schools in the metro are Classen School of Advanced Studies and Harding Charter High School, in the Oklahoma City Public School District. I'd match thme up with Edmond North or PC North any day of the week.

Karried
06-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Saying that you don't want to be around uneducated people sounds a little judgemental to me. You are saying that you're too good for those people. You're better than them. They're below you. They need to bow down and worship you, or get away from you, as far away as they can possibly get, even across city limits.

I almost didn't reply to this because it is so ridiculous..but the more I read, the more I felt compelled to respond.

People will always find a way to demean those who they perceive to 'have more' so it is a moot point. But, you have to realize, it does no good to feel resentment or envy towards others - there will always be people who will be wealthier, live in better houses, drive better cars, live in mansions, have private jets, own tropical islands etc etc.. feeling envious will only cause bitterness and lead to an unhappy life. By the same token, there will always be people who have less than we do, and each and every day we should all feel grateful that we have our health and that we live in a country in which our children aren't starving or dying of disease.

You have to feel content with where you are in your life.

But, I do feel the need to clarify - I don't like the name calling or blanket assumptions about people you know nothing about.

Calling people snobs and racist because they want good schools for their children? I've never lived in OKC so I didn't move because of 'white flight'. That is incredible.

My neighbors are wonderful, great people... and yes, they are educated and professional and they are of all different races but they are definitely not snobs.

Is it wrong to put emphasis on education or to want neighbors who have ambition and aspirations? Who work hard to provide for their families and are successful? I'm sorry that you don't place the same emphasis on education but it gives you no right to label people racist or judgemental because they do.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with race.. it has to do with desire to be successful by working hard and working smart. Not sitting on your butt, dropping out of school, doing drugs etc, etc.

You are new on the board and don't know any of the people here. If you did, you would know that we own a company that is considered 'blue collar' - Commercial Construction.

Blue collar doesn't equal uneducated.

We will never agree on this issue but please don't pull the 'mod' card to bolster your argument. Remember to discuss the issue and not attack the person.

Survey
06-06-2006, 10:47 AM
It's not ridiculous at all. You were simply acting as if it was beneath you to send your children to another school district other than Edmond. As if you're too good for the Oklahoma City or Putnam City School District.

I simply question your committment to Oklahoma City, if you don't even support our school system.

I wasn't attacking the person. I was attacking your attitude.

Survey
06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
People will always find a way to demean those who they perceive to 'have more' so it is a moot point. But, you have to realize, it does no good to feel resentment or envy towards others - there will always be people who will be wealthier, live in better houses, drive better cars, live in mansions, have private jets, own tropical islands etc etc.. feeling envious will only cause bitterness and lead to an unhappy life. By the same token, there will always be people who have less than we do, and each and every day we should all feel grateful that we have our health and that we live in a country in which our children aren't starving or dying of disease.

I have nothing against those who have more. I have problems with those who act as if they're above everyone else. As if a certain class of people is below them.

There are plenty of wealthy people that accept poor people for who they are and don't act "better than them."

You have to feel content with where you are in your life.
That's all good and fine, but not at the expense of poor uneducated people. They're human beings as well, and are equal to you.

But, I do feel the need to clarify - I don't like the name calling or blanket assumptions about people you know nothing about.

No name calling. You made the statements yourself in your post through your attitude that your holier than thou.

Calling people snobs and racist because they want good schools for their children? I've never lived in OKC so I didn't move because of 'white flight'. That is incredible.

My neighbors are wonderful, great people... and yes, they are educated and professional and they are of all different races but they are definitely not snobs.

Based on your standards your neighbors are only good because they have a higher degree and are professional. What you're telling me is that if they had a GED and worked for Wal-Mart, they wouldn't be good neighbors. That's BS. It's not the education level or money that makes the person who they are. It's the heart. There's good and bad in every race, every income bracket, etc.

Okay, maybe it isn't racist, but it's discriminating against those that are less fortunate.

Is it wrong to put emphasis on education or to want neighbors who have ambition and aspirations? Who work hard to provide for their families and are successful? I'm sorry that you don't place the same emphasis on education but it gives you no right to label people racist or judgemental because they do.

Like I said, it has nothing to do with race.. it has to do with desire to be successful by working hard and working smart. Not sitting on your butt, dropping out of school, doing drugs etc, etc.

You are new on the board and don't know any of the people here. If you did, you would know that we own a company that is considered 'blue collar' - Commercial Construction.

Blue collar doesn't equal uneducated.

And uneducated doesn't mean bad neighbor. And outside of Edmond doesn't mean bad schools. I saw a thread on here that said Classen High School was one of the top high schools in the nation. Coronado Heights Elementary and PC North in the PC District have been a Blue Ribbon School.

Those that own blue collar companies are white collar. It's the "slaves" that work for you that are blue collar.

If it has to do with working hard, there are plenty of people in the city that work hard. Hispanics that live on the south side work harder than you'll ever know. Yet, they just barely get by. But, most of them are still great people that try hard. But, trust me, YOU probably wouldn't want to associate with any of them based on the things you've told me here.

We will never agree on this issue but please don't pull the 'mod' card to bolster your argument. Remember to discuss the issue and not attack the person.

Right, don't bash those who weren't as fortunate as you to get an education.

Karried
06-06-2006, 11:01 AM
OKCTalk reflects the entire metro area...not just the inner city.

Should Todd, Patrick and Keith and the other mods send their children to OKC schools just to show support for this forum? Maybe the Govenor or Mayor should send their kids to OKC public schools? Just when I thought it couldn't get more outrageous .....it has. I guess I'll just pull my kids out of Edmond and send them to OKC to show support.. okay.

You don't need to question my committment to anything or attack anything about me, you don't know me.

You decided to put out a blanket controversial and insulting statement about people you know nothing about expecting a defensive reply so once again you can create a stir with people and argue your point. When you don't like the answer you get back, you resort to more name calling and attacks.

It's so predictable and it's getting old.

Survey
06-06-2006, 11:03 AM
We stayed clear of NW OKC just because we cant rely on the public school system there. (API's of 1172-1364)

What's wrong with the school system in NW OKC? Putnam City North was ranked one of the nation's top high schools a few years back. Classen High School just received honors recently.
Coronado Heights Elementary School is a blue ribbon school.

Maybe you should read this:

Making the Grade

General Excellence

Five of our schools have been named Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education.
We've been recognized by Money magazine as one of the nation’s "100 Top Schools in Towns You Can Afford."
For 13 consecutive years, Putnam City Schools has been selected as one of the top school systems in the nation as a recipient of the SchoolMatch "What Parents Want Award"
58 district teachers have earned National Board Certification
32.3 percent of district teachers have advanced degrees (masters or doctorates)

Academics

96 Academic All-Staters in 19 years, more than any other school district in Oklahoma
One of the state’s highest number of Oklahoma Academic Scholars over the past five years
190 National Merit Finalists in the last 21 years, one of the highest totals in Oklahoma
More than $5.5 million in scholarships accepted by our 2005 graduates
ACT scores above state and national averages

Survey
06-06-2006, 11:05 AM
*Blue Ribbon Schools
Putnam City North High School (1988-89)
Coronado Heights Elementary (1996-97)
James L. Dennis Elementary (1985-86)
Wiley Post Elementary (1989-90)
Will Rogers Elementary (1998-99)

Karried
06-06-2006, 11:14 AM

Lest we forget your original statement that I was replying to.. you set the trap and I fell right into it.. that's all you wanted, someone to respond so you could get on your soapbox and preach about how we should all support those less fortunate and how we're all racists and snobs for wanting our children to have a good education .. blah,blah..blah... it probably makes you feel better. We can all find ways to justify not being where we want to be in life. Whatever.

I'm finished with this - you stay in OKC and I'll stay in Edmond and we'll get along just fine. I'm off to work, you stay here and play..

Survey
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Thought I'd send you a news flash. Deer Creek's scores are quite a bit higher than Edmond's.

I think judging a district as a whole is unfair. Edmond doesn't have any bad parts. Compare each individual school.

For example:

Let's take three of the Blue Ribbon PC Schools:

Coronado Heights: API = 1449
Dennis: API = 1421
Will Rogers: API = 1347

Edmond Schools:
Angie Debo: API: 1417
John Ross: API: 1434
Ida Freeman: API: 1287

Survey
06-06-2006, 11:31 AM
I'm finished with this - you stay in OKC and I'll stay in Edmond and we'll get along just find. I'm off to work, you stay here and play..

Okay, then get off the OKCTalk message board, and go find some friends at EdmondTalk.

Survey
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
Karried I think it's pretty clear you don't want to be around blacks. Your words and test scores speak for themselves. That's not saying you're racist. Just stating the obvious.

API Scores:

Douglass High School: 638
Millwood High School: 776
Millwood Elementary School: 799
John Marshall High School: 765
Star Spencer High School: 730

escan
06-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Karrie-

You've been well spoken and level headed even with the inflammatory statements made. Well done.

Survey-
I live in OKC and would gladly send my children to ANY school where the test scores were acceptable...whether the majority of students were black, white or purple....but the schools you pulled out are simply reinforcing stereotypes.

Martin
06-06-2006, 12:59 PM
wow. welcome to bizarroworld.

let me get this straight...

person 'x' prefers school systems with higher standardized test scores.
school system 'y' routinely earns lower test scores.
school system 'y' has a predominantly black population.
ergo, person 'x' does not like black people.

this is beyond logic and beyond sanity. honestly, i'm apalled that survey prefers oklahoma city schools over edmond schools. it's sad that he doesn't care about supporting the edmond community. also, given the fact that most kids in the edmond school system are caucasian; it's therefore obvious that survey is racist against white people. i guess survey just feels that he's above those that live in edmond. holier than thou, indeed. -M

hipsterdoofus
06-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Survey, I'm sorry, but you are off your rocker. You said that you dislike people that look down others. Apparently those "upper class" people all live in Edmond, and ALL of Oklahoma city is middle to lower class? I mean, I guess I can make that assumption if you can assume that all people in Edmond are racist.

As far as schools go, Edmond has great schools, does that mean no one else has good schools? No, and I don't think anyone really ever said that. The thing is though, no one can carry on a coherent conversation with you when you go off the deep end with wild stereotypes.