View Full Version : Retail stores in Bricktown?

Patrick
06-02-2006, 03:21 PM
What retail stores would you like to see in Bricktown?

okrednk
06-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Some kind of Native American retail store. Also, a store that deals in state specific things, like made only in OK type stuff. Maybe a sports store that sells lots of OU, OSU, Blazers, Yarddawgz, Hornets, etc. Only OKLAHOMA sports related things.

Doug Loudenback
06-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Unless its gone out of business, there IS a Native American retail store at canal level, north side, but I can't rememember exactly where.

I think it might be fun to have sort of a "mall" store where various vendors have "stalls" or something like that ... of course, I'd like for that guy I've heard about who sells vintage Okc postcards at the State Fair (I've not seen it, but have heard) to have a booth. I don't know that what I'd like (the booth concept) is economically feasible, though.

wolf2006
06-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah there was some sort of Native American store, it was in the old Hardware building kind of back in behind that "studio" News 9 had, but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

John
06-03-2006, 04:11 PM
There is one in the Oklahoma Hardware Building still, as far as I remember.

There is also (or used to be) one in the Hunziker? building on the north side of the canal.

metro
06-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Yes, there is at least one Native American store and I think two. I would like to see Armani Exchange, Kenneth Cole, Apple, and stores of the like somewhere downtown.

okrednk
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Are the Native American stores worthwhile? What I mean is, is there good authentic Native American stuff or is it just stuff you could pick up in a Fingerhut book. I have been to several like that and particularly don't really care for them.

Karried
06-05-2006, 03:33 PM
If it 's the one by the ice cream shop, it's very expensive.

I want to see Outlet Mall type stores where you can get high end name brand designer clothes, Nike Outlet, leather purses, luggage etc for a nice discount.. plus tourists love these types of stores.

I went to the ones in Monterey CA and Gilroy CA all the time and the places were always packed with tourists and locals.. it was a hit with everyone.

Survey
06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
If it 's the one by the ice cream shop, it's very expensive.

I want to see Outlet Mall type stores where you can get high end name brand designer clothes, Nike Outlet, leather purses, luggage etc for a nice discount.. plus tourists love these types of stores.

I went to the ones in Monterey CA and Gilroy CA all the time and the places were always packed with tourists and locals.. it was a hit with everyone.

Boy, that's original. Outlet stores. Found in every major outlet center in almost every major city across the US. Come on. Come up with something more unique and quit turning my beloved downtown into Edmond.

BDP
06-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see outlets stay out of the core. I hope we can convince some upscale retailers who have hesitated to locate here, because of low density figures, that one central location could cover the market more effeciently, therefore making it more feasible. But, I don't think this will happen until we can convince some sort of anchor that it would work (Bass Pro ain't it). However, outlets could prove to be an intermidiary step to better shopping on OKC, but I don't know if that's ever happened before. It seems outlets like the cheap rent of out lying towns more than core districts, anyway.

I also would like to see this happen more in the CBD, than bricktown. I wouldn't complain either way, but I think Bricktown is more fit for the kitchy and touristy type places listed above, while downtown proper would be nice for some more high profile shopping.

In the end, though, I would just like to see shops who offer something new to the market and add charcater to the downtown districts.

Lauri101
06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Two come to mind...

A really good bookstore (Full Circle?) and a well-stocked office supply (Staples, Office Depot?)

Oh, yeah - a small grocery store would be nice!

Patrick
06-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Lauri, you're right on the money!

John
06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Since we're not on the radar of Walgreens or CVS at the current time in the Bricktown/downtown area, I think a convenience store only 7-11 would be a nice addition, especially with the hotels going up in the area. The convenience store in Bricktown has spotty hours and isn't that well stocked.

fromdust
06-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Oh, yeah - a small grocery store would be nice![/COLOR][/FONT]

what about aldi? those stores are small.

Moondog
06-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Since we're not on the radar of Walgreens or CVS at the current time in the Bricktown/downtown area, I think a convenience store only 7-11 would be a nice addition, especially with the hotels going up in the area. The convenience store in Bricktown has spotty hours and isn't that well stocked.

http://www.ampm.com

AMPM is coming. I saw one under construction near SE 59th and (I think) Bryant. Weird place to build one... but it's the real deal (same logo/signage)

Convenience stores aren't really anything to be excited about, but AMPM is a much nicer chain than 7-11. I used to live in San Diego and there was a location just around the block from my apartment. I'd go everyday before work to get coffee and the store was always very clean, well-kept and well-stocked. The service was always pretty friendly... and this goes for all the other AMPM stores I've ever been to in California. If they build a bunch of stores here, they could really squash 7-11.

Girl From Impanema
06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
Would like to see a Wild Oats market open up in the area.

soonerliberal
06-28-2006, 08:27 PM
I think a Wild Oats or Whole Foods would be great for either Bricktown or the Triangle area. The apartments and condos are booming in that area and there is a significant amount of people who work downtown, at the OU Health Science Center, or at the Capitol area who would like something different from Walmart and Albertsons.

jbrown84
07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
A Staples/Office Depot in Bricktown?? I'm not so sure about that.

jdsplaypin
07-03-2006, 11:21 AM
There's an office depot in downtown denver that fits in very urbanly if that's a word.

writerranger
07-04-2006, 10:43 AM
A Staples/Office Depot in Bricktown?? I'm not so sure about that.

If you haven't been in an urban Staples or Office Depot, you have missed a pretty cool retail experience. Wood floors, windows all around, very nice. In NYC there's one (on Broadway?) that's on something like the 8th floor. It fits perfectly.

As for retail in Bricktown that I would like to see, it would be a few things of a more general nature. One of the "urban" Walgreens would be great and they always sell a few more groceries in their urban stores than the others. I understand from other threads that Walgreens says that's not a possibility though - at least not right now.

MikeLucky
07-06-2006, 08:10 AM
http://www.ampm.com

AMPM is coming. I saw one under construction near SE 59th and (I think) Bryant. Weird place to build one... but it's the real deal (same logo/signage)

Convenience stores aren't really anything to be excited about, but AMPM is a much nicer chain than 7-11. I used to live in San Diego and there was a location just around the block from my apartment. I'd go everyday before work to get coffee and the store was always very clean, well-kept and well-stocked. The service was always pretty friendly... and this goes for all the other AMPM stores I've ever been to in California. If they build a bunch of stores here, they could really squash 7-11.

Actually it's at 59th and Sooner. We need something different. I am DYING to get a QuikTrip in the metro. Having grown up in Wichita, I really miss the QTs. I heard that the owner of QT and the owner of Love's have a handshake agreement not to invade markets, but I would go out of my way to go to a QT in the city.......

metro
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm confused as to what this has to do with Bricktown?

MikeLucky
07-06-2006, 09:38 AM
I'm confused as to what this has to do with Bricktown?

sorry for the highjack, but someone mentioned the ampm as a possible retail tenant in Bricktown....

citizenkane
07-29-2006, 09:38 PM
Some kind of Native American retail store. Also, a store that deals in state specific things, like made only in OK type stuff. Maybe a sports store that sells lots of OU, OSU, Blazers, Yarddawgz, Hornets, etc. Only OKLAHOMA sports related things.
This is exactly what we do not need. Leave those stores to the airport. Bricktown needs shopping that would attract people, not junk shops. We need a combination of nationally and locally owned stores. I do agree with the person that suggested Full Circle; that would be a great addition.

Nixon7
08-07-2006, 07:21 PM
The Laughing Fish!!!!! How long has that place been open? I noticed it when we were eating at Chelinos.... i LOVED IT!! FINALLY! I liked the bricktown shirts, i got an orange one that said OKLAHOMA bricktown....good stuff, maybe we will see more places like that with lots of okla stuff