View Full Version : How young is too young?

Patrick
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
How young is too young for kids to be involved in organized athletic activities?

My nephew started playing t-ball at age 4, and I honestly thought that was a little young. Who am I to know though.

Thoughts?

John
06-02-2006, 03:56 PM
It's never too early to get involved in organized athletics.

Some parents just push them into overly competitive leages too early.

At the 4 years old, the best part of sports is the gatorade and orange wedges, or whatever the 'mom' for that game brought. :D

sweetdaisy
06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
I agree with John. As long as the league competitiveness is appropriate for the child (and the parent!), organized sports are great. It does help to develop coordination and gives them enough exercise to wear them out for the evening. And if nothing else, it can be a good social opportunity with kids outside of school.

One of my favorite things to do in soccer was to chase the cute goalie around the net during practice. :D

MadMonk
06-02-2006, 09:25 PM
My son is four and we are waiting until next season to get him into T-ball. He didn't seem interested in it this year, but he's got plenty to do this summer with swimming and riding his new bike with me and his sister. Organized sports can wait. :)

As stated above, its just about going out there and getting exposed to the game, having fun and making friends at this age. Its a riot to watch though. I still remember seeing my nephew out in center field, picking dandelion flowers to give to his mom when I went to see him play t-ball his first year - oblivious to the game. :D