View Full Version : Rhett Bomar Guilty

Patrick
05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Rhett Bomar pleaded guilty today....the charge? A minor in possession of alcohol.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts....personally, I still think the age 21 rule is dumb. IMO, the police were purposely trying to find something on Bomar, simply because he is a star player.

Tons of minors drink in college. Bomar isn't in the minority there.

------
OU quarterback pleads guilty to alcohol charge

By The Associated Press

Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar pleaded guilty Tuesday to a misdemeanor charge of being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Municipal Judge M. Fred Austin sentenced Bomar, 20, to six months of probation. He'll also be required to pay court costs and an administrative fee.

"We do that routinely with young people, especially 20-year-olds who are caught drinking beer before they are 21," Assistant Municipal Counselor Laura Yates said after a hearing in Oklahoma City Municipal Court.

In seeking the sentence, Yates said she took into consideration that Bomar was a first-time offender with no prior convictions. She said she recommended similar sentences to several people in comparable circumstances last week.

Bomar, who set an Oklahoma freshman record for passing yards last season, was cited by Oklahoma City police March 10 after an undercover police officer spotted him taking beer from friends, pouring it into a white cup and then drinking it at a New Orleans Hornets' basketball game at the Ford Center.

Yates said police officers kept a sample of the liquid in Bomar's cup, and Bomar also admitted that he had been drinking.

Bomar's probation requires him to avoid being arrested again or receiving any traffic tickets.

Prosecutors in Norman dismissed a minor in possession of alcohol charge against Bomar in January due to a lack of evidence. Bomar is also scheduled to be arraigned July 13 in Norman on a misdemeanor citation for hosting a nuisance party.

Bomar, who turns 21 on July 2, threw for 2,018 yards last season and had a touchdown pass in Oklahoma's 17-14 win against No. 6 Oregon in the Holiday Bowl. He was 8-3 as the Sooners' starter.

Oklahoma spokesman Kenny Mossman said any discipline would be handled internally and coach Bob Stoops would not have any comment.

MadMonk
05-30-2006, 04:01 PM
Its a minor offence and a slap on the wrist. I don't think it will make any difference for him in the long run.

John
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
I think the 'cops' watching him all game long need to be added to the sexual predator list. Talk about creepy!

My4sonsjrbm
05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=Patrick]
Tons of minors drink in college. Bomar isn't in the minority there.

QUOTE]

So that makes the fact that he broke the law okay?

Patrick
05-31-2006, 11:24 AM
So that makes the fact that he broke the law okay?

I don't think we should have the law.

MadMonk
05-31-2006, 11:33 AM
I don't think it's "okay" that he broke the law. He's certainly not setting a good example for his younger fans, but I don't think we should "hang him high" for a simple misdemeanor. Its a non-event IMHO.

My4sonsjrbm
06-01-2006, 03:16 PM
Patrick,

When you say, "I don't think we should have the law." Do you mean specifically the law of being 21 to consume alcohol? I'm assuming that's what you mean, however I must disagree. What age do you think is appropriate to start drinking alcohol?

I do agree MadMonk that he should not be "hanged" for the offense. But it's like anyone in the public eye. When you or I do something wrong (or right) we usually don't end up in the media, but someone in the public eye, ie. actors, athletes, politicians etc. have a pretty darn good chance of having their actions splashed across the TV, radio and newspapers. It just comes with their celebrity status.
Rhett Bomar isn't just any football player either. He's the OU quarterback. He is in the company of the likes of Jason White and Josh Heuple. My 12 and 9 year old sons think these guys walk on water. They might not like that they are role models, but the fact is that they are and they do have a responsibility to act responsibly.
Having said that, however, everyone makes mistakes and is entitled to a second chance and everyone has the ability to change and improve. Rhett Bomar should be given that chance by all. (But as a mother of sons who thinks that he's almost as good as a rock star, he'd better not make the same mistake twice!)

Patrick
06-01-2006, 03:39 PM
I agree that Rhett broke the law and should be punished for that. Regardless of whether I agree with the law or not, he still should abide by that.

Now, looking at the law. I don't agree that alcohol should be restricted to those under 21 years of age. I think it's outrageous that a man can put his life on the line for this country and be put in charge of a tank, F-16, or aircraft carrier, yet he can't have a drink! I personally feel the age should be lowered to 18.

My4sonsjrbm
06-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Patrick,

That could possibly be another thread. "What should the legal drinking age be?" Since I don't want to stray from the topic I won't go into my opinion of the what I think should be the legal drinking age, although I don't agree with the age you specified (18).
Anyway, hopefully Rhett will just go on with life, put this behind him and win us a national championship this year! (I can dream, can't I?)

Midtowner
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
My4: What would you prefer the punishment be? You seem unsatisfied.

Patrick
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Patrick,

That could possibly be another thread. "What should the legal drinking age be?" Since I don't want to stray from the topic I won't go into my opinion of the what I think should be the legal drinking age, although I don't agree with the age you specified (18).

Are you the thread police that Oki_Man5 was referring to?

Just kidding.

You can comment here:

http://www.okctalk.com/chalk-board/4925-lower-drinking-age.html?highlight=Drinking

http://www.okctalk.com/oklahoma-law/6018-lower-drinking-age.html?highlight=Drinking

My4sonsjrbm
06-01-2006, 06:28 PM
The article quoted above said that his punishment (6 months of probation and pay court costs and administrative fees) is what is routinely done in these cases. That's fine with me. I'm glad it's not more and I'm glad it's not less. Just whatever the law says.

rxis
06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
eh a lot of students get hunted down by the police in Norman. If your a youngin just take a walk in the evening and see for yourself. hehe...many girls have stuck a tear.

EDIT: Crying due to the harse interrogation on the street that is

Midtowner
06-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I've heard of Norman cops pulling over saferide vans (vans that take kids home from bars and clubs so they don't have to drive drunk), then citing the kids inside for public intox.

escan
06-16-2006, 12:31 PM
They've begun blocking off the streets around Campus Corner to pull ID and sobriety checks.

downtownguy
08-02-2006, 09:00 PM
oops