View Full Version : downtown supermarket

Pages : [1] 2

mranderson
05-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Who would you like to see open a supermarket downtown.

The list includes some supermarkets that are regional, such as Ralph's in California and Publix in Florida.

John
05-20-2006, 11:01 AM
You didn't have Central Market, which is HEB's 'cool' store, which would be the one locating downtown, so I voted for Whole Foods.

okrednk
05-20-2006, 11:34 AM
What about a Crest foods?

John
05-20-2006, 01:11 PM
What about a Crest foods?

Downtown? :confused:

BG918
05-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I could see something more like Walgreen's or CVS opening up an urban shop somewhere in south downtown, maybe the Arts District near the Galleria parking garage? That would serve that growing residential district as well as people staying at downtown hotels. A grocery like Whole Foods or Central Market would be nice on Reno near the tracks in Bricktown. Lots of open land there for a store facing the street with parking behind. I'm thinking more of the north side of Reno, I think that large area of land around U-Haul would make a cool museum/science center site someday and should be saved for something BIG.

mranderson
05-20-2006, 05:24 PM
You didn't have Central Market, which is HEB's 'cool' store, which would be the one locating downtown, so I voted for Whole Foods.

I went to a website that showed a lot of supermarket chains, however that one was not on it. Plus I added some locals.

Midtowner
05-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Crest isn't all that bad an idea. Crest is a local company, and I would therefore think that they would be better able to do a downtown store better than anyone else. Folks keep saying that they want an 'organic' type grocery store downtown. I'm not sure that'll play so well. I personally want just a regular grocery store close by, not some sort of specialty store.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
I appreciate your poll mranderson, but I think it should be limited to the short list that the city is working from rather than include a lot of non-contenders.

mranderson
05-21-2006, 05:48 PM
The poll was designed to give OKC Talk members opinion. There are probably markets the city never thought of.

Patrick
05-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Downtown? :confused:

I wouldn't mind locally-owned Crest downtown if it was made urban. Crest has awesome customer service, decent prices, and a good product.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-22-2006, 08:23 AM
Aaaand . . . so far its Whole Foods by a length followed by Trader Joes. Someone Independent is on the rail in third and then the pack with Albertson's, Aldi and Tom Thumb trying to make a move on the outside. Bringing up the rear is Jack's favorite WaaaalMart. It looks like a real battle to the wire, and with only the final turn and the run to the finish line left to cover, it could be a photo finish.

escan
05-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Trader Joes, then Central Market.

metro
05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
I could see something more like Walgreen's or CVS opening up an urban shop somewhere in south downtown, maybe the Arts District near the Galleria parking garage? That would serve that growing residential district as well as people staying at downtown hotels. A grocery like Whole Foods or Central Market would be nice on Reno near the tracks in Bricktown. Lots of open land there for a store facing the street with parking behind. I'm thinking more of the north side of Reno, I think that large area of land around U-Haul would make a cool museum/science center site someday and should be saved for something BIG.

Only the arts district is more west downtown than south. South would be towards the river.

Patrick
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
There is the open lot directly west of Stage Center. Of course, you'd have the homeless population to deal with, since the City Rescue Mission is nearby.

floater
05-29-2006, 10:10 AM
There is the open lot directly west of Stage Center. Of course, you'd have the homeless population to deal with, since the City Rescue Mission is nearby.

I heard that land is owned by Urban Renewal, and is being saved for a civic purpose such as a park, museum, or performing arts center, etc. They are most likely waiting for a signficant project to fill that space. IMHO, because it is next to that avant garde Stage Center, parking garage, and I-40/Crosstown Boulevard they want a real attention getter for that lot.

Stinger
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
This is a tad off topic, but how does ALDI make it in the Metro? I rarely see more than 3 or 4 cars in their parking lot at Penn & Memorial when I'm in the area.

TheImmortal
08-22-2006, 08:40 PM
ALDI is a good store just not so much for America. They have them all over Germany and they are like a half CVS half Walmart Neighborhood Market just scaled down a bunch. The U.S. got the lesser version.

keving
08-29-2006, 09:50 AM
I have a feeling that if we had a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods or Wild Oats somewhere else in the city, that there would be no votes for those in downtown. I think people are wanting those stores in OKC, no matter where they are.

blueice101
08-29-2006, 10:11 AM
Aldi is NOTHING like CVS or Neighborhood. It is a whole other concept. Most of the things they carry are their own label. They do bring in some name brands (it's about 30% name brand 70% own label). The problem is most people won't even bother to go because they think they're too good to rent a cart and bag their own groceries. But if you're looking at cost, then Aldi is the place to go.

okcitian
09-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I was in Washington DC not too long ago. I was at Georgetown one day. And there happend to have an urban grocery. It was kinda small but the place was pretty upscale. They sold wine at the back, a really nice bakery, and also all sorts of chesses to choose from. The place was just next to a sidewalk, it was pretty urban. I just wish we had such a place in OKC yet we have laws over liquor/wine in grocery stores and all sorts of stuff.

mranderson
09-09-2006, 09:11 AM
What is the big deal with this "organic" market? All they do is rip you off because they charge higher prices for food that has not been treated for pests. All you have to do is clean the food before prep, and it is safe. So why not build a supermarket that has a theme with reasonable prices (organic is not)?

The Old Downtown Guy
09-10-2006, 11:37 AM
What is the big deal with this "organic" market? All they do is rip you off because they charge higher prices for food that has not been treated for pests. All you have to do is clean the food before prep, and it is safe. So why not build a supermarket that has a theme with reasonable prices (organic is not)?

I never cease to be amazed by the silly and inaccurate comments people occasionally make on this forum on subjects about which they obviously have absolute no knowledge. Such appears to be the case with your post mranderson. Saying that stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods are "ripping people off" is a pretty nasty accusation. Perhaps when you wrote that, you were just suffering from a pesticide residue induced bad hair day.

Yes, organically grown food items cost more in stores. It costs more to produce foods using certified organic methods. There is a very direct correlation. 91 octane gasoline costs more at the pump than 87 octane, but I haven't noticed people that drive cars with the higher performance engines requiring 91 octane fule complaining on public forums about the difference in price, or people that buy 87 octane fule suggesting that there should not be any 91 octane gasoline available to those that might want it.

No, you can't wash off or wash out many of the chemicals used in main stream agricultural practices such as growth hormones, to name just one. Your statement to the contrary is incorrect mranderson. There are also humane farming practices that organic food producers adhere to. If you think paying a few cents less for your dozen eggs or gallon of milk is worth subjecting chickens to having their beaks cut out and living in a cage that don't allow them to even stand, or raising cattle in concrete floored pens that cripple many of them is worth the cost savings, that's your choice. It's not the choice I make whenever I have a better option.

Here is a link to some scientific information regarding pestecides in food and the residual effects of eating non-organic foods.

http://www.ehponline.org/docs/2003/5754/abstract.html

The organic category is one of if not the fastest growing segment of the grocery industry and has been for some time. Perhaps there are reasons for this fact. Here is a link to a 1996 CNN story.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/indepth.food/organic/organic.food.biz/index.html

There is a wealth of information easily available to anyone that wants to make an informed decision about the food they consume. So, eat what ever you want, shop where ever you want, but I for one think it would be nice if the people living in Oklahoma City had an increased opportunity to make up their own minds about what grocery items they purchase and where they buy them. If a grocery store that offers a wide variety of organically produced food items opens here, it will fail or succeed based on its acceptance by Oklahoma City shoppers. It is commonly called the market place in action.

I see no good reason to object to allowing the market place to make this decision. Do you mranderson?

bandnerd
09-10-2006, 12:07 PM
And also--Trader Joes is NOT expensive. I have visited one a few times in Ventura, CA. I fell in love with the place as soon as I stepped in. The feel reminded me of a little grocery we had back home--you could smell the butcher area, there no blippy-laser things, and everything was inexpensive. Trader Joes has a lot of items, including some pre-made meals, that I would love to get my hands on but cannot.

mranderson--have you ever even tried to go organic? I buy organic milk at Wal-mart...yes, it is more expensive, but it tastes so much better. It is the only skim milk I can stand. It reminds me a lot of Braum's milk in a way, but organic. It also lasts forever.

And just an FYI for people that might be interested in purchasing organic beef--you can get it at Irma's Burger Shack ;)

mranderson
09-10-2006, 12:23 PM
"Saying that stores like Trader Joes and Whole Foods are "ripping people off" is a pretty nasty accusation. Perhaps when you wrote that, you were just suffering from a pesticide residue induced bad hair day."

Tell me where I said Trader Joe's is ripping people off. It is not an organic market to the best of my knowledge. In fact, i have never been in one. Whole Foods, I have been in and the prices are obsene.

I guess you can waste your money if you wish. I will eat the reasonably priced food and just clean it before I prepare it.

By the way. I have eaten the same pesticide treated food for 51 years and am not dead yet. Funny. The way you people act, I should have been dead and totally dust by now.

BTW. I bet if you asked every person in this city, the majority would say they want the lower prices and could care less about the liberal's demand for higher pricedd food because it treated the way THEY think it should be. Plus, what proof do you have it is really "organic?" None. That is the answer.

bandnerd
09-10-2006, 01:23 PM
I have to agree with what my dear hubby just said:

"I'd rather take my chances with something that might be grown organically than something I know for sure has been pumped full of poisons."

mranderson--of course I should have the right to buy food treated the way *I* think it should be treated. If you want to feed your body processed, hormone-fed, pesticide injected food, then that's your perogative and I don't really give a crap. However, if I want to eat organic food, and I'm not the only one who wants this, then I should have a chance to buy that as well. I can get a few things at the regular store, but not always produce. I'd love to have a store close to me that fits my needs. As it is, if I wanted "chicken paws" I could buy those, along with a bucket of fried chicken, at any of the markets near downtown.

And again, I have been to Trader Joe's. YES, they have organic products. Not everything there is, but they have more options than wal-mart. Ask someone who has ACTUALLY been there before making any kind of assumption. You just make yourself look like a fool doing that.

bandnerd
09-10-2006, 01:38 PM
http://www.oklahomafood.coop/shop/

One way to get organic food in OKC AND help out local farmers.

BDP
09-10-2006, 04:24 PM
they want the lower prices and could care less about the liberal's demand for higher pricedd food because it treated the way THEY think it should be.

So, eating naturally grown food is liberal? What? I guess you're lucky that the Kool-Aid isn't organic.

:LolLolLol

Until we get one of them Trader Joe's, I guess I'm just gonna keep having to eat that neo-fascist Wal-Mart stuff.

:tweeted:

Seriously, though, I think the desire to eat foods free of chemicals spans political perspectives. But, I guess that fact that anyone could think that it was poltical would explain why Oklahoma doesn't have as many organic options as most markets.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-10-2006, 04:28 PM
. . . BTW. I bet if you asked every person in this city, the majority would say they want the lower prices and could care less about the liberal's demand for higher pricedd food because it treated the way THEY think it should be. Plus, what proof do you have it is really "organic?" None. That is the answer.

Oh, I get it now; this is actually a political discussion.

By the way. I have eaten the same pesticide treated food for 51 years and am not dead yet. Funny. The way you people act, I should have been dead and totally dust by now..

Actually, mranderson, 51 years old is not really much to brag about, but I hope that you live to be a hundred and keep writing stuff on this forum for me to read.

Certainly you are entitled to eat the food you want to, but please don't pretend to know anything about the subject of organically produced food or the many successful grocers that sell it.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-10-2006, 04:30 PM

A very good point bandnerd. It's very easy to become a member and order really good Oklahoma produced food.

Kerry
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I don't eat pestecide riden food - I eat the pestecieds directly. In fact - my favorite food is deep fried chicken beaks dipped in malathion. MMM - good.

wsucougz
09-10-2006, 07:30 PM
For, me it isn't quite as much about the food being "organic" as it is the superior selection of goods that you find at these types of markets. Better meats, better deli, better fruits, better everything.

You can't even get real taco shells at wal mart anymore -- everything has been boiled down to the least common denominator to exploit their margins to the absolute fullest. I DEMAND SELECTION, DAMNIT! And satisfaction.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-10-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't eat pestecide riden food - I eat the pestecieds directly. In fact - my favorite food is deep fried chicken beaks dipped in malathion. MMM - good.

Would that be the creamy or the low cal malathion?

If you decide to exit the real estate biz Kerry, this could be the basis of a successful chain restaurant concept. You could just call them "Pesticides". You got your Hormone Burger, you got your Caged Chicken Sandwich, you got the Perserv-o Fries, Toxic Treats for desert . . . Endless fun with the menue and if mranderson is correct in his assesment of OKC's food preferences, no shortage of customers. Good luck.

BDP
09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Better meats, better deli, better fruits, better everything.

So true. It is extremely hard to get any high quality foods in Oklahoma on a consitent basis. It wasn't until I lived in California that I realized how good some fruits and vegetables can be. I honestly don't know what was organic and what wasn't, but I do know that the food at all groceries stores there seemed to be consistently better than what we have here and at no extra cost. In fact, it's often cheaper, because you don't pay sales tax on perishables. Certainly, the amount of and variety of agriculture there helps with the freshness. Sometimes I think we get the scraps.

I'd love to have a better selection of organically grown foods, but I'd settle just for consitant quality.

diesel
09-11-2006, 12:03 PM

nevermind.. i figure out the website address.. i didnt think there was such thing as .coop

The Old Downtown Guy
09-11-2006, 06:41 PM

For dinner yesterday evening we enjoyed a meatloaf of lean venison from Honey Hill Farms purchased through the OK Food Coop along with our organically home grown eggplant done parmesan using Parmigiano Reggiano and fresh mozzarella from a Whole Foods we always try to stop by on our way back from an occasional trip down to Dallas. What a wide selection of both organic and just great quality fresh and prepared foods they offer at Whole Foods. It's almost worth the drive just to shop there.

For me, being a member of and regularly ordering through the Oklahoma Food Coop from producers that I can call on the phone; many that I have personally met and talked with about the foods they offer for sale, helps complete the circle and connects me more with this earth on which we all depend. Being able to put a face with the foods I put on my table is a surprisingly enjoyable experience.

I look forward to a day in the future when I will be able to more conveniently enjoy the wonderful foods from the OK Coop and a great variety of food products from a more health conscious grocer such as Whole Foods. The Coop is looking for a permanent distribution location in Oklahoma City and perhaps we will all be enjoying the grand opening of a Whole Foods here in OKC within the next two or three years.

Bon Appetite Y'all

bandnerd
09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Oh hey--someone actually does the coop thing? I haven't met anyone yet who does. I'm glad to find it is a good experience for you :)

I don't know if it would be cost-effective for the husband and me at this point. I buy the groceries and on a teacher's salary, I do the best I can and buy the best I can get at this point but I don't know about how the coop would work for us. Maybe I'll look a little more closely :)

brianinok
09-22-2006, 11:23 PM
In Friday 9/22's Journal Record, there is a story about a grocery in Flatiron in a building Grant Humpreys owns. I can't read it b/c I don't have a subscription, but those of you that have one, can.

writerranger
09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
In Friday 9/22's Journal Record, there is a story about a grocery in Flatiron in a building Grant Humpreys owns. I can't read it b/c I don't have a subscription, but those of you that have one, can.

From the article:

"He said there are no negotiations yet for the grocery store, although it would be a smaller specialty store catering to residents in the Flatiron area."

-------

metro
09-25-2006, 12:14 PM
writeranger, can you please post the entire article?

Spartan
09-27-2006, 11:15 PM
I vote for Wally World. I love Wally World.

ChristianConservative
09-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I would 100% support the location of an upscale grocery store downtown. The last thing we need is a Wal-Mart, Target, or something of that nature downtown. My only feer would be finding ways to keep the homeless population away from the grocery store. Building a store on the north or east side of downtown would be more sensible then building one of the west side of downtown near the homeless shelters.

The Old Downtown Guy
09-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I would 100% support the location of an upscale grocery store downtown. The last thing we need is a Wal-Mart, Target, or something of that nature downtown. My only feer would be finding ways to keep the homeless population away from the grocery store. Building a store on the north or east side of downtown would be more sensible then building one of the west side of downtown near the homeless shelters.

Razor wire, vicious dogs and guards in towers with machine guns should do the trick.

mranderson
09-29-2006, 03:27 AM
Razor wire, vicious dogs and guards in towers with machine guns should do the trick.

You are describing the new Crossroads Mall.

fromdust
10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
i dont know if any has shared this but here it is.

Final results of a study to investigate feasibility of a Downtown grocery store recommend immediate actions to recruit while the market continues to develop.

The 145 page study, commissioned by The City of Oklahoma City, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber and Downtown OKC Inc. was conducted by consultant Larry Kilduff of The Kilduff Company. The study shows that there is currently no statistical unmet demand for a full-service grocery store in the downtown area. However, Downtown Oklahoma City’s ongoing revitalization, increasing residential base and strong potential for growth do support the case for immediate action to adopt and implement a recruiting strategy.

“The research clearly tells us that now is the time to get started on this project. We can’t lose focus on residential growth downtown, but we can’t delay pursuing more retail over the long term,” said Dave Lopez, Downtown OKC Inc. president.

The findings indicate that even with Downtown’s momentum and a focused recruitment effort, the process to secure a grocery store could take three years or longer. The study states that the type of grocery store that is likely to be best suited for a downtown Oklahoma City location would be a specialty store—such as a Whole Foods, Central Market or Trader Joe’s—that could draw customers from downtown and the greater metro area.

The study indicated two possible areas that fit the needs of a grocery store location, the area of 4th and Walnut and in Automobile Alley at the intersection of 10th and Broadway. Both are close to residential and daytime employee population, both have heavy traffic, and both feature good access and visibility from I-235.

The study analyzes specific market segments within a specific drive-time of the proposed grocery locations. These demographic groups indicate the profile is one of a more upscale community within the twenty minute drive-time. These findings suggest that the Downtown OKC trade area is positioned to attract a more upscale grocer to areas being revitalized.

Following the release of the study's preliminary findings, a contingent composed of the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, Mayor Mick Cornett and City staff attended the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) convention — the largest gathering of retail real estate professionals in the world.

“We made some promising contacts,” said Greater Oklahoma City Chamber President and CEO Roy Williams. “We’re working on bringing them to Oklahoma City soon for a visit, so they can see first-hand what the Metro has to offer.”

Private enterprise should lead the recruiting of a downtown grocery store, but civic leadership—and possibly infrastructure assistance—from the city also would be needed to succeed, the study says. Because of this recommendation, Mayor Mick Cornett felt it important to attend the ICSC conference and provide leadership to the project.

"A downtown grocery store will continue our momentum towards creating a downtown where our citizens can work and live," said Cornett. "We experienced a fantastic reaction at the conference. It was obvious that national retailers are beginning to hear about the Oklahoma City success story. We're going to continue working with them, and I have every confidence that we are going to make this happen."

NE Oasis
11-02-2006, 07:12 AM
I don't understand why Braum's had not set up shop downtown. Not the full hand dipped cone/burger set-up, just the grocery portion that is in almost all of their locations. They have a full range or products, a distribution network, and are a LOCAL business. A couple of stores using the "classic" NYC corner market layout would probably satify the basic needs of most downtown residents.

metro
11-02-2006, 10:37 AM
I think because they have a store on Classen and NW 17th they think that is sufficient just like Walgreens.

Midtowner
11-03-2006, 12:14 PM

See: Byron's Liquor Warehouse :)

metro
11-06-2006, 12:28 PM
I agree with whomever said why doesn't OKC go after Wild Oats, they already have a store in Tulsa for 7 years, so the liquor laws in Oklahoma obviously aren't a big deal to them as Whole Foods are Trader Joe's. Let's all do a email blitz to Wild Oats (Wild Oats Natural Marketplace - natural and organic food for your healthy lifestyle. (http://www.wildoats.com))

ChristianConservative
11-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Whole Foods seems to be the winning choice here, by a landslide. I say show them the results of this poll, and move forward.

The Old Downtown Guy
11-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Whole Foods seems to be the winning choice here, by a landslide. I say show them the results of this poll, and move forward.

Here's the link to their real estate/new store location suggestion page. Let us know what you find out.

Whole Foods Market : Company (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/realestate/index.html)

metro
11-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Yes, but Whole Foods is a waste of time right now. They have made it clear a number of times that they will not come to OKC with the liquor laws. Wild Oats would be a great addition to the market and would not hinder Whole Foods from coming in the future should the liquor laws change in the future. We should go after the more realistic Wild Oats since they are already in Oklahoma.

Mandy
11-13-2006, 05:09 AM
I'm very disappointed that the city (and entire state) doesn't have a Whole Foods. Wild Oats would be nice too. You can order from Wild Oats online, though.

I looked for natural foods stores in OKC and came across one called Akin's. What do you all think of that one?

Patrick
11-13-2006, 03:51 PM
For the most part, Akins is a mega vitamin store, that only sells organic products. I'd like to see a grocery store with more variety....and one that doesn't place it's major emphasis on homeopathic remedies, and other snake oils.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind a Target or Crest Food Store downtown, if it was more urban in structure.

The Old Downtown Guy
11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
I looked for natural foods stores in OKC and came across one called Akin's. What do you all think of that one?

It's hard to call it a "natural foods store". Their emphasis is on vitimins, herbal items etc. They do have "food" so I guess the name applies. Their foods selection includes canned/jarred food, chips (decent selection), dairy, dried fruit, nuts, a very small produce section, snacks, canned/bottled drinks (decent selection), some baked goods and a little more. Pretty punk selection all around, but about the only game in town. I shop there some, but it doesn't amount to much.

The Old Downtown Guy
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
. . . . I'd like to see a grocery store with more variety....and one that doesn't place it's major emphasis on homeopathic remedies, and other snake oils.

Snake oils? Come on. Their store sucks by almost any standard, but I don't think snake oils is a fair charterization of what's on their shelves Patrick.

Patrick
11-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Snake oils? Come on. Their store sucks by almost any standard, but I don't think snake oils is a fair charterization of what's on their shelves Patrick.

LOL! Have you never seen their rack of herbal liquid extracts? Or liquid homeopathic meds?

RVeit
11-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Lots of debate...I'll just add this...PLEASE NO WALMART!

Patrick
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Again, if Wal-Mart built an urban style center, with 3-4 floors, like they have in places in China, I'm not sure I'd be opposed. But, they wouldn't do that. I could see them building a neighborhood market on the empty lot west of Stage Center though.

RVeit
11-13-2006, 06:22 PM
All I will say, if they took a poll of what supermarket would you NOT like to see downtown, put me down for a great big WALMART...NO!